• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hey don't shoot me; Tehpony was the one who said they were the little fan request lol.
Don't try to push this on me. I never called him a "little fan request," that was YOU misinterpreting my words to create a strawman argument.

I assume you're referring to this statement:
Nintendo doesn't owe us every little fan request. Geno is included in that.
There. I edited my original statement to make it more clear. I'll admit it's possible to read into it as "Geno is a little request," and that's on me. However, that wasn't the intent of the statement.

You seem to think that Nintendo needs to always cater to their fans when that's not the case. Especially when Nintendo has a much wider base to cater to outside of the core Smash fanbase, including people who aren't even Nintendo fans at the moment. Stop limiting your consideration to our little corner of the internet and consider the bigger picture.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Gotta love how Chun-Li just took off her costume and revealed herself to have been Ken all this time. Reminds me of old Scooby Doo episodes. And she would have gotten away if it wasn't for that damned dog and its duck!

Slime isn’t a part of the actual Seven Square list and I’m not just saying that because I don’t like them. I’m saying that off years of research.
Erdrick is someone who constantly swings a sword and does whatever he wants and doesn’t care about anything.
tenor (4).gif

So I coulda worded it a lil better

D

Deleted member

I wonder why are Ken and Chun even put in a "this or that" situation when they have no similarities aside from the "shotoclone" stigma.
Is she even a shotoclone? I don't think she even has a projectile, I though all she did was spam kicks really well.
Regardless, Chun-Li would have to be classified as unique because there's no way she could be a Ryu echo despite Sakurai's own loose definition of the term he created.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm baffled that there's three Dragon Quest characters at all. I honestly thought there'd be a lot more variety in that name list.
Dragon Quest is honestly huge worldwide. It's just not as popular in the regions outside of Japan. It's still hugely popular though.

It paved the way for tons of RPG games to come, including their later series, Final Fantasy. It's vastly important to the world of gaming. Some just first knew it as Dragon Warrior, of course.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Is she even a shotoclone? I don't think she even has a projectile, I though all she did was spam kicks really well.
Regardless, Chun-Li would have to be classified as unique because there's no way she could be a Ryu echo despite Sakurai's own loose definition of the term he created.
She does have a projectile, but she is no shotoclone. Sad too because I would have loved to have her in.

D

Deleted member

I wonder why are Ken and Chun even put in a "this or that" situation when they have no similarities aside from the "shotoclone" stigma.
Ah yes, my favourite shoto-clone, Chun-li. Zangief’s a close second though.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Yes and no.
Usually, shotoclones are defined by their special moves, if they have the equivalents of a projectile (Hadoken), a spinning/whirl kick (Tatsumake) and a uppercut (Shoryuken), then they're considered shotoclones. For example, while not quite notable, Spider-Man and Cyclops can both be considered shoto-clones even if some moves aren't as blatant.
While Chun herself usually never has all three moves in the same game, she keeps them in UMvC3 and MvCI, those being Kikoken (fireball), Spinning Bird Kick (Tatsumaki) and Tenshokyaku (Shoryuken). So yes, she can be considered a shoto.

D

Deleted member

She does have a projectile, but she is no shotoclone. Sad too because I would have loved to have her in.
Would love to find that out when I was teying to play her in... I think it was SF3? I just spammed the rapid kick to win neutral and 60% of the time it worked every time.

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Would love to find that out when I was teying to play her in... I think it was SF3? I just spammed the rapid kick to win neutral and 60% of the time it worked every time.
She's a charge character. Her projectile isn't a standard input.

D

Deleted member

Anyways good night, Geno would be cool hope he gets in, Erdrick is probably happening though which I don’t mind, and Million Arthur is the true sleeper pick.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You really don't have a leg to stand on. Against Smash Ultimate of all games? The one that goes above and beyond to please people and has earned gang busting sales for it, supposedly failing because they didn't include Geno? Dream on.
I never said they were going to fail. But when the next Smash comes around; and I remember they added Erdrick over Geno, I'm certainly going to think twice. And I think others will too.

D

Deleted member

I never said they were going to fail. But when the next Smash comes around; and I remember they added Erdrick over Geno, I'm certainly going to think twice. And I think others will too.
I can safely say with at least 96% confidence that not many others will follow that train of thought.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
never said they were going to fail.
I'm referring to "fail" in the sense of supposedly failing to cater, which you're suggesting.
But when the next Smash comes around; and I remember they added Erdrick over Geno, I'm certainly going to think twice. And I think others will too.
Again, over someone like Geno not getting in, you really expect that to make a dent? Despite how Corrin didn't do such got this game? Despite people already buying the Season Pass in droves with the reveal of just the first character?

Again, dream on son.

Hell, the sales gathered from FFVII nuts and/or DQ fans would trump any lost from the minority salty enough over Geno's absence, mark my words.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Alright I’m gonna be VERY blunt here cause I’m starting to lose my patience.

If you think that Geno, or any single character, not gettIng in is going to seriously affect Smash sales in the future, then you’re a ****ing idiot.

There are many fan favorite characters that didn’t get in. One character isn’t going to stop people from buying Smash, especially the general audience.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I would record myself giving me a slap in the face if you get to successfully pull a "no X-Men, no buy" card on Smash and damage the sales big time with it.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Good luck with wanting Geno in Smash 6 too, You'll need it at least. /s

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I frankly disagree with both sides.

Sure fan favorites aren’t necessarily needed anymore due to what Ultimate pulled off already and selling millions.

However, that wouldn’t mean they have no value in making them DLC. Geno, Isaac, and the others could make a good profit simply since a lot of people are very likely interested in buying them. Bonus points for reviving someone like Isaac since you could potentially pull a franchise into the spotlight along with them.

You can argue how can favorites aren’t needed, but there is still merit for including them.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Justin vs Daigo flashbacks

Edit: Best thing is that we're talking in a context of (The rest 4 slots on the Fighter Pass)
I defenitely see a Wave 2 or some non-fighter-pass-related-newcomers/echo fighters if this sell well

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Really now? Got a source to the thread of which would confirm such?

And even still, Takumi, like @Onereasonanddone stated, would likely have been drunk anyway. He could've not known what he was saying.
Or chances are, he may not have even known if Phoenix was added to begin with.
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074897993235484672
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074898466915020800
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074899214503632897

I don't know how to thread tweets so here they are in order.

Full translation:
I am asking for your wants not predictions.
Putting moves aside, Wonder-Red and Joe could work as Mii costumes, and Dante would be difficult for rating reasons (don't ask me then why Beyo got in?).
I think Amaterasu is the only choice.

Yap... about half of the world's population saying that they want Joe to join the battles.

By the way, when I was drinking with Takushu (Shu Takumi) yesterday he said "why they don't put Phoenix Wright in" ...

D

Deleted member

There are too many cool characters from Capcom and SE, I wouldnt mind exclusive DLC packs for each.
And just see people speculating and complaining as always.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Full translation:
Putting moves aside, Wonder-Red and Joe could work as Mii costumes, and Dante would be difficult for rating reasons (don't ask me then why Beyo got in?).

Yap... about half of the world's population saying that they want Joe to join the battles.

By the way, when I was drinking with Takushu (Shu Takumi) yesterday he said "why they don't put Phoenix Wright in" ...
"HOW DARE YOU GUYS VOTE FOR DANTE?!"
"Oh, it's because I find him to be too inappropriate"
Sometimes I don't get Kamiya's attitude.

D

Deleted member

I frankly disagree with both sides.

Sure fan favorites aren’t necessarily needed anymore due to what Ultimate pulled off already and selling millions.

However, that wouldn’t mean they have no value in making them DLC. Geno, Isaac, and the others could make a good profit simply since a lot of people are very likely interested in buying them. Bonus points for reviving someone like Isaac since you could potentially pull a franchise into the spotlight along with them.

You can argue how can favorites aren’t needed, but there is still merit for including them.
I think the issue is a matter of opinion regarding if they have done enough already for the fanbase or not.

Main issue I see with going with fan favorites is that they are always changing. While there are constants like Geno and Isaac, there are always newer faces appearing all the time and some of them end up becoming the top requests.

If Nintendo wants to cater the fans, Rex seems to be pretty much one of the top choices at the moment. Curiously, he didnt exist during the ballot and we only knew about his existence in early 2017.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

Full translation:

Hmm. In that context, it sounds almost like a playful suggestion. Quite interesting he'd bring it up. Well thanks for extending that. It definitely doesn't hurt Phoenix's chances and that's a huge relief.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Another random twitter leak.
Obvious fake but leaks like this don't really happen when it comes to smash compared to western internet so just putting out here to make a collection of Japanese leaks if anyone interested.
https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1073789370606354432

Translation:
I have a real life friend who saw Smash SPs development office said that the statement not making DLC characters yet was a lie.
I didn't listen to him much but he predicted Isabelle so he is believable.
He said there were a character with Akira Toriyama design style and a female fighting game character.
I don't care them I just want Neptune.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Obvious fake but leaks like this don't really happen when it comes to smash compared to western internet so just putting out here to make a collection of Japanese leaks if anyone interested.
This isn't the first time I've heard that JP leaks are rare. So leak culture is, more or less, driven by the western fanbase then? I take it JP (fake) leaks are once in a blue moon type of deal?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Probably brought up already...
But seeing that DQ3 logo, I... Can't...Even...
(Btw, it's the same logo that shares a spot with the Mario Mushroom icon from Fortune Street).
Here’s hoping this is fake because it would mean no Phoenix Wright.

Haha yea okay TPC, sorry buddy, but it's real, here's why;

-if you look at Lil Mac and Olimar you can actually spot a little green pixel, and
You just opened a very old and deep wound.

[reads everything else]

Oh okay so the leak is fake.

[reads on]

Wait... so Phoenix Wright is disconfirmed?

I kinda wanna cry

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Here’s hoping this is fake because it would mean no Phoenix Wright.
It's been confirmed fake already. The symbol contradicts the one for MH already in the game as Luigi The President Luigi The President pointed out.
Wait... so Phoenix Wright is disconfirmed?

I kinda wanna cry
No he's not. That's jumping to conclusions way too soon off a tweet that means nothing in the grand scheme.

Relax man. Don't worry.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The DOOM leak is nothing special tbh.
It came right after Jokers reveal and before the Jack Frost/Slime leak.
This leak has no credibilities by any means but somehow became popular. Maybe because it sounded kind of plausible for Japanese smash fans.
So when the Jack Frost/Slime leak popped up people immediately thought it's just piggybacking the DOOM leak.

The leak said Joker, Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Steve, and Marine from DOOM will be the 5 DLC characters.
It also said P5R is coming in first half of 2019.
I'll translate the whole post if anybody wants.
Probably fake but translation would be cool. Not a bad line up either.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Another random twitter leak.
https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1073789370606354432

Translation:
I have a real life friend who saw Smash SPs development office said that the statement not making DLC characters yet was a lie.
I didn't listen to him much but he predicted Isabelle so he is believable.
He said there were a character with Akira Toriyama design style and a female fighting game character.
I don't care them I just want Neptune.
the plot thickens

Top Bottom