• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

well you are joking with call of duty but i see many people on 4chan wanting either Doom Guy or Master Chief in smash, and i've seen some requests for James Ramirez from Call of Duty MW2 but that was more of a joke
When you’re using 4chan, it’s sometimes hard to tell when someone’s falseflagging. Doomguy is for sure a big want there though, Captain King to a lesser extent.

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
When you’re using 4chan, it’s sometimes hard to tell when someone’s falseflagging. Doomguy is for sure a big want there though, master cheif to a lesser extent.
As a Doomguy supporter, this is true. I think Master Chief is typically lower due to many people wanting a different Microsoft repleted rep in the form of Banjo.

D

Deleted member

I kind of look at the name drop scenario as the more commonly heard names are fake to ensure not many people know about the character.

I am just also curious about this quote. How can a leaker show any kind of bias? Were they upset over Geno being more likely than Sora at this point? It doesn't make sense to me to hear 'I think this character is in but I don't like him so don't believe me.'

Geno seems like a weird leak bait name to give due to him being expected by everyone and their mom. Why would you need to internally pass his name around in the first place when the internet is basically doing that for you?

It makes you wonder....

(I also put Sora on the table still due to Joker reveal debunking most 'credible' claims but it honestly depends on which insiders have been claiming he was out. It would be nice to officially narrow down the list from 7 to 6. Would make this mess a whole lot easier.)
This is something that has bothered me for a while and it's that people assume Square is someone holding a secret no one else knows and is telling people lies left and right to confuse them.
But that's simply not how it works, the real name is circulating and is likely the one most heard about because they actually have some actual work to do in relation to that character if they're even receiving this info. All these names aren't meant to confuse us, they're meant to catch leakers within the company. This isn't some 4D chess like some people think, it's simple baiting. This info was never meant to be cross-referenced in the first place.

As for biases from the leakers, it's because Verge was told "not to take Geno seriously" but that's unknown if it was because who told him that doesn't believe in the possibility of Geno or because he's legit not in.

D

Deleted member

This is something that has bothered me for a while and it's that people assume Square is someone holding a secret no one else knows and is telling people lies left and right to confuse them.
But that's simply not how it works, the real name is circulating and is likely the one most heard about because they actually have some actual work to do in relation to that character if they're even receiving this info. All these names aren't meant to confuse us, they're meant to catch leakers within the company. This isn't some 4D chess like some people think, it's simple baiting. This info was never meant to be cross-referenced in the first place.

As for biases from the leakers, it's because Verge was told "not to take Geno seriously" but that's unknown if it was because who told him that doesn't believe in the possibility of Geno or because he's legit not in.
For what little it’s worth,when someone asked hitagi why they aren’t taking Geno seriously, he said that it wouldn’t make sense for Nintendo to pick geno as dlc because he’s irrelevant and doesn’t advertise anything, so it might just be bias. But Hitagi could be lying here and hitagi’s reliability is questionable in the first place so.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Erdrick getting in to check a check box is honestly depressing and coincidentally the only argument aside from pure shillery that people make for Dragon Quest in Smash. At least Joker was decently wanted internationally while the idea of Dragon Quest characters in Smash garner a collective shrug even in Japan where the games effortlessly sell millions. Aside from Steve from Minecraft, there's few character picks that scrape the gums of cynicism and pessimism than Dragon Quest does.
What poll was Joker even shown to have high results in? Also we don't know the ballot results so saying DQ isn't wanted lacks evidence.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ok, so it’s popular in Japan, that much I say evident. That means a smash character would be popular too. I guess call of duty man is popular for smash here as well. There’s a difference between a series being popular and people wanting that series for smash. Yes, a DQ character would turn heads, but that’s not the question. The question is “Does japan want DQ in smash?” and nobody has yet to provide evidence for the claim. You said to not use the source gaming or INSIDE poll, so I’m using the only other source o can think of for Japanese wants, this https://smashboards.com/threads/obs...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/ (done by Smashboard’s very own Cronobound!). Here, DQ is not mentioned. Yes, this is very unreliable. It was pre-smash 4, entirely done by one guy, and doesn’t provide any numerical evidence, but it’s the only other source I can think of. It would be kind of you if you could provide any other source on Japanese wants.
You're falling into the trap of the "Smash Bubble." The hardcore Smash fanbase isn't the only fanbase for this game; Smash Bros. caters to a lot of different audiences, and not every choice will cater to the "Smash Bubble."

I will admit that there is no "official source" stating that the Japanese want a Dragon Quest character given that there are so few Japanese sources. Your claim that a CoD character would be popular is a strawman that doesn't add anything to the conversation, especially since CoD in America can't compare to Dragon Quest in Japan. I don't think you understand just how big Dragon Quest is in Japan: imagine the popularity of Fortnite in its heyday, except it's been consistent for around 20 years.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Except here are some of the issues:

-Dragon Quest is overwhelmingly more popular in Japan than anywhere else. Roughly 93% of the series entire sales have come from there.

-Dragon Quest from a marketing standpoint makes no sense because they've already tried to sell the series in the West multiple times during the series 32 year history. The only million seller was the original on the NES. They tried on the NES, DS, Wii, and even 3DS and the results were always yawn inducing. Why would the Switch be any different? They've tried new installments. They've tried ports. They've tried spin-offs. They've tried casual games and nothing has stuck. Another spinoff and a port is going to change this? I sincerely doubt it.

-Sakurai has repeatedly talked about the importance of international appeal for characters and people actually wanting them.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Based on this, the last totally unique character and franchise rep that got in solely because of Japanese demand was Marth and that was 1. 17 years ago and 2. such a controversial decision that they honestly debated cutting Marth and Roy from Western releases of Melee.

-In this day and age, the world is a small place and it's not hard to find things about what Japan wants in Smash. Characters like Chrom, Isabelle, Inkling, and K. Rool have mountains of evidence on their side. Even Joker support isn't hard to find, it's like trying to find your friends in a corner booth in a largely empty restaurant. Dragon Quest in Smash support is like trying to find the custodian in an empty stadium.

D

Deleted member

You're falling into the trap of the "Smash Bubble." The hardcore Smash fanbase isn't the only fanbase for this game; Smash Bros. caters to a lot of different audiences, and not every choice will cater to the "Smash Bubble."

I will admit that there is no "official source" stating that the Japanese want a Dragon Quest character given that there are so few Japanese sources. Your claim that a CoD character would be popular is a strawman that doesn't add anything to the conversation, especially since CoD in America can't compare to Dragon Quest in Japan. I don't think you understand just how big Dragon Quest is in Japan: imagine the popularity of Fortnite in its heyday, except it's been consistent for around 20 years.
I completely understand how popular DQ is. It’s a cultural phenomenon that innovated the entire RPG genre and is practically a public holiday. But you admit it yourself, there aren’t any actual source on whether a DQ character for smash is a popular idea. From there we can’t make any actual conclusions on the matter, or at the very least certainly not any ones in favour of the idea. While it’s true that casual vs hardcore is a thing, again, no sources and no evidence. We have absolutely no idea how popular some characters are among casual fans. So again, you can’t make any actual conclusions and just have to assume based on DQ’s popularity and the overlap with smash fans. So considering that you have to make assumptions anyway, I find it reasonable to argue that one can’t really deny the claim that Japanese fans don’t want DQ in smash of there is no evidence against the claim and one just has to make assumptions with little base.
And hey, I think the COD thing added something, a joke that was supposed to make you laugh. Having air blow out of your nose at a faster rate at least.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

-Dragon Quest is overwhelmingly more popular in Japan than anywhere else. Roughly 93% of the series entire sales have come from there.

-Dragon Quest from a marketing standpoint makes no sense because they've already tried to sell the series in the West multiple times during the series 32 year history. The only million seller was the original on the NES. They tried on the NES, DS, Wii, and even 3DS and the results were always yawn inducing. Why would the Switch be any different? They've tried new installments. They've tried ports. They've tried spin-offs. They've tried casual games and nothing has stuck. Another spinoff and a port is going to change this? I sincerely doubt it.

-Sakurai has repeatedly talked about the importance of international appeal for characters and people actually wanting them.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Based on this, the last totally unique character and franchise rep that got in solely because of Japanese demand was Marth and that was 1. 17 years ago and 2. such a controversial decision that they honestly debated cutting Marth and Roy from Western releases of Melee.

-In this day and age, the world is a small place and it's not hard to find things about what Japan wants in Smash. Characters like Chrom, Isabelle, Inkling, and K. Rool have mountains of evidence on their side. Even Joker support isn't hard to find, it's like trying to find your friends in a corner booth in a largely empty restaurant. Dragon Quest in Smash support is like trying to find the custodian in an empty stadium.
Yeah. The biggest barrier to a DQ character is that the series is only popular in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest is overwhelmingly more popular in Japan than anywhere else. Roughly 93% of the series entire sales have come from there.
And? If you think the popularity of all games is balanced around the globe, you're solely mistaken.
Dragon Quest from a marketing standpoint makes no sense because they've already tried to sell the series in the West multiple times during the series 32 year history. The only million seller was the original on the NES. They tried on the NES, DS, Wii, and even 3DS and the results were always yawn inducing. Why would the Switch be any different? They've tried new installments. They've tried ports. They've tried spin-offs. They've tried casual games and nothing has stuck. Another spinoff and a port is going to change this? I sincerely doubt it.
-We don't even know if a DQ cjaracter would be purely for advertisement
-A character in Smash is enough to turn any series into a success, of course Square would take this chance
Sakurai has repeatedly talked about the importance of international appeal for characters and people actually wanting them.
That was in response to characters who hadn't received worldwide releases, which DQ obviously doesn't fall under.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Wrong and if you had read any of my replies to you in the Geno thread you would know how misinformed you are. Square has gone ON record saying they're trying to make a real push to get DQ popular here. This fantasy of square trying many times is just that, fantasy. DQ9 and 8 were the best selling ones here and 11 is on it's way to doing just that. Did you think this sudden influx of DQ games was coincidence? What about Yuji Horii flying out here to visit every single con since 11's Western Announcement? You're straight just misinformed. DQ1 sold horribly here.

Lucas?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And? If you think the popularity of all games is balanced around the globe, you're solely mistaken.

-We don't even know if a DQ cjaracter would be purely for advertisement
-A character in Smash is enough to turn any series into a success, of course Square would take this chance

That was in response to characters who hadn't received worldwide releases, which DQ obviously doesn't fall under.
“Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.”
This was talking about Cloud. Note how he specifically mentions world wide appeal several times. Dragon Quest doesn’t really fall into that category.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I completely understand how popular DQ is. It’s a cultural phenomenon that innovated the entire RPG genre and is practically a public holiday. But you admit it yourself, there aren’t any actual source on whether a DQ character for smash is a popular idea. From there we can’t make any actual conclusions on the matter, or at the very least certainly not any ones in favour of the idea. While it’s true that casual vs hardcore is a thing, again, no sources and no evidence. We have absolutely no idea how popular some characters are among casual fans. So again, you can’t make any actual conclusions and just have to assume based on DQ’s popularity and the overlap with smash fans. So considering that you have to make assumptions anyway, I find it reasonable to argue that one can’t really deny the claim that Japanese fans don’t want DQ in smash of there is no evidence against the claim and one just has to make assumptions with little base.
And hey, I think the COD thing added something, a joke that was supposed to make you laugh. Having air blow out of your nose at a faster rate at least.
Can you conversely agree that we can't make any assumptions about Dragon Quest having a lack of popularity for Smash though? If we can't make assumptions either way, then I don't see why we can use "the Japanese don't want Dragon Quest in Smash" as an argument against it.

D

Deleted member

Can you conversely agree that we can't make any assumptions about Dragon Quest having a lack of popularity for Smash though? If we can't make assumptions either way, then I don't see why we can use "the Japanese don't want Dragon Quest in Smash" as an argument against it.
Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m getting at. So I guess this entire debate was pointless. Just like life really. (I stole that joke from yoko taro!)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here's another issue too: why would Nintendo do this for Square/Armor Project/Bird Studio? Fire Emblem makes sense because it's one of their properties. Nintendo couldn't technically care less if a third party property doesn't do well on their consoles, the Switch is a booming success and developers are making mile long lines to produce for it. The Switch effortlessly makes million sellers. Why would Nintendo bend this far backwards for one franchise from a third party that's already promised a ton of support regardless? It doesn't add up.

D

Deleted member

The arguments against DQ really bother me because it's the same "uh only popular in Japan" as if it's not ****ing huge. Some series in Smash wish they had such large following. I'm not even a DQ fan, it just baffles me because this is the same weak logic I've seen this entire speculation phase and time and time again it has proven to be wrong.

At most, I don't see a DQ character being announced at E3 but this knowledge is mostly useless. But if we don't see the Square character by E3? Start betting on that DQ horse hard.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
The arguments against DQ really bother me because it's the same "uh only popular in Japan" as if it's not ****ing huge. Some series in Smash wish they had such large following. I'm not even a DQ fan, it just baffles me because this is the same weak logic I've seen this entire speculation phase and time and time again it has proven to be wrong.

At most, I don't see a DQ character being announced at E3 but this knowledge is mostly useless. But if we don't see the Square character by E3? Start betting on that DQ horse hard.
Why does the Square character not being known by E3 favor DQ?

D

Deleted member

Why does the Square character not being known by E3 favor DQ?
Because one thing is certain, a DQ character won't be saved for a west-based presentation. Unless the E3 reveal is someone who is bigger in the west than everyone else in that list, it'd make sense to hold their reveal for something like a normal Direct.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wrong and if you had read any of my replies to you in the Geno thread you would know how misinformed you are. Square has gone ON record saying they're trying to make a real push to get DQ popular here. This fantasy of square trying many times is just that, fantasy. DQ9 and 8 were the best selling ones here and 11 is on it's way to doing just that. Did you think this sudden influx of DQ games was coincidence? What about Yuji Horii flying out here to visit every single con since 11's Western Announcement? You're straight just misinformed. DQ1 sold horribly here.

Lucas?
You can see the numbers here:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest

Aside from Dragon Quest XI not being updated on here, the estimate for Western sales (US and EU) for it is estimated to be about 800k. Good, not great.

Lucas isn't a 100% unique franchise rep. I mentioned this. Lucas is a semi clone of Ness. Even if you were to ignore this, that still places the last new Japan favored franchise entering in Smash over 17 years ago.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I would just like to mention that despite DQ being """huge,""" neither Erdrick or Luminary, or even SLIME appeared in ANY Smash Ballot polls back in 2015. Including the Japan centered polls. As much as people may like DQ, apparently it's not enough for them to care for them in Smash. Meanwhile, Sora and Geno both were in the top 20 of most Japan-based polls. (Geno was much higher, but that's not super important.) I don't think I should have to tell you, they didn't show up in any US/Europe polls either. From a pure business standpoint, it would make zero sense to put in a character nobody asked for.

From Square's point of view? Sure, it'd probably be a good way to advertise. Not a good way to make money from DLC sales, though. Nintendo has ZERO reason to do it. It wouldn't sell and it wouldn't advertise anything that helps them. Not to mention it'd make fans angry they put in a character nobody asked for.

EDIT: Before anyone asks for a source, here you go.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s getting a bit boring seeing people constantly say “Dragon quest” or “DQ”. I propose that we rename the series to Basilisk Pursuit and refer to it by that name from now on.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Because one thing is certain, a DQ character won't be saved for a west-based presentation. Unless the E3 reveal is someone who is bigger in the west than everyone else in that list, it'd make sense to hold their reveal for something like a normal Direct.
Characters revealed in general Nintendo Directs tend to be those that appeal to general Nintendo fans. That's why they chose Isabelle to reveal in a standard direct.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's another issue too: why would Nintendo do this for Square/Armor Project/Bird Studio? Fire Emblem makes sense because it's one of their properties. Nintendo couldn't technically care less if a third party property doesn't do well on their consoles, the Switch is a booming success and developers are making mile long lines to produce for it. The Switch effortlessly makes million sellers. Why would Nintendo bend this far backwards for one franchise from a third party that's already promised a ton of support regardless? It doesn't add up.
For one, a vote of good confidence such as this would be helpful for relations between Nintendo and Square Enix. You can never have enough good will between friends, especially if said friend is one of your most prominent third party providers who gave you a large middle finger and stabbed you in the back in the past. Nintendo has plenty of reasons to work with Square Enix. Besides, they've worked with Square Enix to promote Dragon Quest since the series' beginning, so it certainly wouldn't be the first time they've done this.

For another, Square Enix would be the one to suggest Erdrick, and of course Nintendo executives would bring that to Sakurai. Smash Ultimate is a once in a lifetime thing and Sakurai has stated this multiple times. If he can get Dragon Quest, perceived to be impossible on multiple fronts, I believe he would do it.

Aside from Dragon Quest XI not being updated on here, the estimate for Western sales (US and EU) for it is estimated to be about 800k. Good, not great.

Lucas isn't a 100% unique franchise rep. I mentioned this. Lucas is a semi clone of Ness. Even if you were to ignore this, that still places the last new Japan favored franchise entering in Smash over 17 years ago.
Still better than some franchises already in Smash Bros. Dragon Quest is certainly overall more popular than Bayonetta, and has similar circumstances behind it to make up for a lack of western popularity.

I feel like you're exaggerating the flaws of the series. They're completely valid, but by overstating them you make them out to be bigger than they actually are.
I would just like to mention that despite DQ being """huge,""" neither Erdrick or Luminary, or even SLIME appeared in ANY Smash Ballot polls back in 2015. Including the Japan centered polls. As much as people may like DQ, apparently it's not enough for them to care for them in Smash. Meanwhile, Sora and Geno both were in the top 20 of most Japan-based polls. (Geno was much higher, but that's not super important.) I don't think I should have to tell you, they didn't show up in any US/Europe polls either. From a pure business standpoint, it would make zero sense to put in a character nobody asked for.

From Square's point of view? Sure, it'd probably be a good way to advertise. Not a good way to make money from DLC sales, though. Nintendo has ZERO reason to do it. It wouldn't sell and it wouldn't advertise anything that helps them. Not to mention it'd make fans angry they put in a character nobody asked for.

EDIT: Before anyone asks for a source, here you go.
That's one poll.

It additionally falls within the trap of the "Smash Bubble" that we find ourselves trapped in. Fan Polls speak to popularity within the core fanbase who are motivated enough to take time to complete polls such as this and don't speak to popularity within the sample everyone who plays Smash Bros.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For one, a vote of good confidence such as this would be helpful for relations between Nintendo and Square Enix. You can never have enough good will between friends, especially if said friend is one of your most prominent third party providers who gave you a large middle finger and stabbed you in the back in the past. Nintendo has plenty of reasons to work with Square Enix. Besides, they've worked with Square Enix to promote Dragon Quest since the series' beginning, so it certainly wouldn't be the first time they've done this.

For another, Square Enix would be the one to suggest Erdrick, and of course Nintendo executives would bring that to Sakurai. Smash Ultimate is a once in a lifetime thing and Sakurai has stated this multiple times. If he can get Dragon Quest, perceived to be impossible on multiple fronts, I believe he would do it.

Still better than some franchises already in Smash Bros. Dragon Quest is certainly overall more popular than Bayonetta, and has similar circumstances behind it to make up for a lack of western popularity.

I feel like you're exaggerating the flaws of the series. They're completely valid, but by overstating them you make them out to be bigger than they actually are.

That's one poll.

It additionally falls within the trap of the "Smash Bubble" that we find ourselves trapped in.
Actually, that poll is an aggregate of many different polls. Its why magnetite is there, cause he’s a meme pick in japan apparently,

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Actually, that poll is an aggregate of many different polls. Its why magnetite is there, cause he’s a meme pick in japan apparently,
Looking at the US/Euro results that's true, but the Japanese results alone make it look like one, small fan poll. The highest amount of votes for a character is King K. Rool with 115 votes, compared to highest US/Euro result, which is K. Rool with 3,943. I appreciate SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo and his work, but the Japanese fan polls consolidated are hardly indicative of the wider Japanese fanbase.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's also the fact that this situation would be a lot different if this were the base game but this is paid DLC. Persona 5 is estimated to have sold close to 1.5 million in the West so the appeal is there. Plenty of people were screaming and arm flailing for Joker. Dragon Quest doesn't really have that in the West. I imagine just a ton of confused people at places like the Nintendo World store in NYC. "Oh... Goku has a sword... And he's in Smash?" People would throw money at the screen for characters like Sephiroth and Sora. This wouldn't happen outside Japan for Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

Looking at the US/Euro results that's true, but the Japanese results alone make it look like one, small fan poll. The highest amount of votes for a character is King K. Rool with 115 votes, compared to highest US/Euro result, which is K. Rool with 3,943. I appreciate SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo and his work, but the Japanese fan polls consolidated are hardly indicative of the wider Japanese fanbase.
True, just pointing it out. Again, it comes down to there bing such limited info on what Japanese fans want. How annoying, why can’t they just translate every single thought they have for us intelligent speculators?

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Buddy, I appreciate the optimism, but the Square Enix rep is 99.99% going to be Erdrick
Why does Erdrick have such high chances in your eyes just out of curiosity? I don’t think he really has that much smash demand in all honesty to a general population compared to literally anyone else on that list. Just cause leakers are pointing towards DQ doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen. Just look at Joker, no one had a clue he was DLC.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The arguments aren't exaggerations though. The series just kind of exists in the West and would likely be by far the most amount of work put into a single third party character, further evidenced that the series has a minimum of four IP owners and has never been liscensed out to another game company in its entire 32 year existence. This would literally be the first time anyone aside from Square/Armor Project/Bird Studio was allowed to have control over it. Again, all this for two ports? Beyond that, you're fooling yourself if you think a DQ reveal would be on par with Cloud, Bayo, or Joker in positive response.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I still say the SE rep is going to be 2B, and every supporter of the list of 7 is going to be dumbfounded while Yoko Taro gets a good laugh out of it. :p

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The arguments aren't exaggerations though. The series just kind of exists in the West and would likely be by far the most amount of work put into a single third party character, further evidenced that the series has a minimum of four IP owners and has never been liscensed out to another game company in its entire 32 year existence. This would literally be the first time anyone aside from Square/Armor Project/Bird Studio was allowed to have control over it. Again, all this for two ports?
It's not about the ports, it's about the series' legacy as a whole with Nintendo. This series has a massive history with Nintendo and that can't be denied.
There's also the fact that this situation would be a lot different if this were the base game but this is paid DLC. Persona 5 is estimated to have sold close to 1.5 million in the West so the appeal is there. Plenty of people were screaming and arm flailing for Joker. Dragon Quest doesn't really have that in the West. I imagine just a ton of confused people at places like the Nintendo World store in NYC. "Oh... Goku has a sword... And he's in Smash?" People would throw money at the screen for characters like Sephiroth and Sora. This wouldn't happen outside Japan for Dragon Quest.
I believe another Geno fan used the argument that people would see Erdrick/Luminary in action and then come to the conclusion that they're cool. It's a completely valid situation for DLC.
Why does Erdrick have such high chances in your eyes just out of curiosity? I don’t think he really has that much smash demand in all honesty to a general population compared to literally anyone else on that list. Just cause leakers are pointing towards DQ doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen. Just look at Joker, no one had a clue he was DLC.
Please refer to my Square Enix character argument for why I'm so confident in Dragon Quest. Even outside of leaks it makes sense for Dragon Quest to be included.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The sole fact DQ still releases in the west when other series wouod have stopped localizations should be enough to tell Square cares about DQ and wants it to succeed in here. If Nintendo just came asking for a general Square character as it seems to be the case, there'd be no reason for them to not answer "take Erdrick/Slime/whoever else please".

D

Deleted member

The sole fact DQ still releases in the west when other series wouod have stopped localizations should be enough to tell Square cares about DQ and wants it to succeed in here. If Nintendo just came asking for a general Square character as it seems to be the case, there'd be no reason for them to not answer "take Erdrick/Slime/whoever else please".
Yuji Horii has also expressed on multiple occasions that he wishes the series was more popular in the West. Even if it's not sticking currently I don't see why he would give up on that either, especially considering what kind of promotion Smash can do.

-Coco-

Smash Ace

That isn't the average and your link offers no source on the DW1 numbers. Not only that but it includes the android sales which aren't relevant in terms of nes sales. The DW wiki puts DW1 sales at 500k. Only the most recent DQ games push those numbers and that's because Nintendo /SE advertised.

Top Bottom