• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Why wasn't this Piranha Plant's reveal trailer theme
Truly it was a missed opportunity.

Also, it was not till the PP reveal that I realized how much merch he has. It's almost like Nintendo has been playing the long game with this little fella.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Aye nope nope nope we ain't doing the Spirits argument in my sweet baby Squenix thread
(also the Piranha Plant example is selective bias, Monty Mole's also do not have Spirits, there are multiple Mario goons who do not have Spirits; and I'm pretty sure you and I both know the Joker example is bull****)
(but please)
(not in this poor baby squenix thread)

And hey, I'm just waiting for you to stop antagonizing Erdrick fans for no reason, acting like they're "fake fans", going against your own mission of trying to recruit Geno fans, creating nonsensical and hypothetical bull**** DLC situations, and to maybe get it past your skull that yes, "stats could change" is a valid argument, and if that isn't enough for you, Brave = Yuusha should be enough, thanks.
that's fair

also yes the joker claim was total bull**** but I wanted to sound smart for the TMS spirts lmao

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No one ever answered my question.

Is Kid/Chibi Erdrick considered the iconic image of Erdrick? Is it the one that people imagine when they hear his name? Is it one with a lot of merchandise and recognizable?

Because while Sakurai likes his classic looks, he tends to only go for them if they're immediately going to be recognized in that look.

D

Deleted member

Is Kid/Chibi Erdrick considered the iconic image of Erdrick? Is it the one that people imagine when they hear his name? Is it one with a lot of merchandise and recognizable?
Seems that they keep alternating the image of Erdrick, the most recent figure of Bring Arts(2018-2019) put Erdrick in his bigger form while the most recent Artbook(2018) puts him in his chibi form.

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Because while Sakurai likes his classic looks, he tends to only go for them if they're immediately going to be recognized in that look.
I don't think I can answer this question 100%, but from my perspective as an outsider to the series(Which, to be granted, is a rather important perspective when it comes to this topic), it seems to be the elder design. They seem to have been using it a lot in the more modern days, while the classic look seems to be more a product of the time. I don't know Dragon Quest though, so anyone is free to correct me if I am gravely mistake.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Seems that they keep alternating the image of Erdrick, the most recent figure of Bring Arts(2018-2019) put Erdrick in his bigger form while the most recent Artbook(2016~2018) puts him in his chibi form.
Way to go Square. You just totally ****ed up any possibility of solving that real quick.

Though to be fair unless they're remaking Erdrick's game (s) with that Chibi look, I see no reason to not go with the bigger form if you're going with Erdrick. It seems to be from just scouring the net, the most used imagery for the character.

D

Deleted member

Honestly this is Erdrick's most recognizable design:

latest.jpg

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
They showed off Joker without any gameplay, and I could see them wanting to do the same for Brave in order to generate more hype.
I have to imagine that they want to sell the fighter pass as early as possible when most people are playing the game. Announcing fighters earlier would be good for sales I think.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Way to go Square. You just totally ****ed up any possibility of solving that real quick.

Though to be fair unless they're remaking Erdrick's game (s) with that Chibi look, I see no reason to not go with the bigger form if you're going with Erdrick. It seems to be from just scouring the net, the most used imagery for the character.
Plus, you get the bonus of a fem alt, something Smash loves to use and has it's own extra benefits when it comes to selling a character.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
They flip flop between designs but given that the nes version of DQ3 is the version that took Japan by storm I'm gonna guess it's the chibi iteration. Bear in mind that the most recent used iteration was the chibi in the artbook and the one in this image. So not only is it likely the most iconic it's also the most modernly used.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One common misconception I've seen about the Famicom artwork for Erdrick is that it's actually a younger version of him - it's not, he's 16 from start to end of the game. It's simply just a difference in art styles.
Probably not that big of a deal but I have seen some arguments from some people that use his age as to why they wouldn't use the chibi design.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking and I've narrowed it down to about 5/6 characters Brave could be, and I don't really think it would be anyone else.

These are NOT in any particular order.
  1. Geno - the stats match, but the presence of their spirit still gives me a bit of pause. We'll see - the possibility is still very much on the table. Not sure about the "Brave" connection though.
  2. Frisk/Sans - Both Frisk and Sans are quite short, and could potentially fit the stats of Brave. Bravery's also one of the soul attributes in Undertale.
  3. Mike Jones - I've talked about why it could very well be Mike previously. As for why he's so short here, maybe he's based off of his actual in-game sprite like ice climbers?
  4. Ninten - Fitting all three of the MOTHER protagonists having the same height, but there being a Ninten spirit and absolutely no Porky or Giygas anywhere makes me highly doubt this.
  5. Slime - I'm like 85% sure at this point that Brave is not Erdrick, and the only other character that has a real chance of being a Square rep that IS small enough and fits the stats is Slime.
There may be a couple I'm not thinking of, though, that are still viable contenders.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I've been thinking and I've narrowed it down to about 5/6 characters Brave could be, and I don't really think it would be anyone else.

1. Geno - the stats match, but the presence of their spirit still gives me a bit of pause. We'll see - the possibility is still very much on the table. Not sure about the "Brave" connection though.
  2. Frisk/Sans - Both Frisk and Sans are quite short, and could potentially fit the stats of Brave. Bravery's also one of the soul attributes in Undertale.
  3. Mike Jones - I've talked about why it could very well be Mike previously. As for why he's so short here, maybe he's based off of his actual in-game sprite like ice climbers?
  4. Ninten - Fitting all three of the MOTHER protagonists having the same height, but there being a Ninten spirit and absolutely no Porky or Giygas anywhere makes me highly doubt this.
  5. Slime - I'm like 85% sure at this point that Brave is not Erdrick, and the only other character that has a real chance of being a Square rep that IS small enough and fits the stats is Slime.
There may be a couple I'm not thinking of, though, that are still viable contenders.
*cough* Bravely Default Rep *cough*

-Coco-

Smash Ace
In my opinion the most Iconic Design is his older design I've yet to see a single video talking about this leak with the young Erdrick design in it and I've only just last month learned he had a chibi Design they actually use for anything except spinoffs.
Uhh I think you got it backwards. When we say chibi design we're referring to the one that's on all the smash thumbnails.

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Chibi Erdrick still is viable I think but not 100% sure, and from the brave thread I would say Arthur from GnG is quite matching aside from the skid.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They flip flop between designs but given that the nes version of DQ3 is the version that took Japan by storm I'm gonna guess it's the chibi iteration. Bear in mind that the most recent used iteration was the chibi in the artbook and the one in this image. So not only is it likely the most iconic it's also the most modernly used.
Would hesitate to call it the most modernly used; from what I see it's usually the pink cape boy.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman

I don't think no porky or gigyas is that much of a point against Ninten. The spirit being a disconfirm is the best argument against him imo.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I don't think no porky or gigyas is that much of a point against Ninten. The spirit being a disconfirm is the best argument against him imo.
The thing is is that MOTHER would only be likely to get 1 representative as a fighter if it were to be DLC - it's sadly just not enough of a series to justify otherwise, and 1 series getting 2 DLC slots would likely not go over well at all.
It should be noted that I am firmly on team Porky

Also, on the note of Erdrick's design popularity, the first two google image search results are for adult Erdrick and Female Adult Erdrick, respectively. Adult Erdrick then takes up 6 of the first 10 results, and 10 of the first 15 results.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
The thing is is that MOTHER would only be likely to get 1 representative as a fighter if it were to be DLC - it's sadly just not enough of a series to justify otherwise, and 1 series getting 2 DLC slots would likely not go over well at all.
I know there would only be one dlc fighter from the mother series if any, I just think Porky and Giygas are no more likely to be dlc than him. I am of the opinion that the ASC spirit is Porky's spirit though.

Edit: I actually think Ninten is more likely than either for a variety of reasons. I think the biggest obstacle to Ninten is if the mother series could actually secure a dlc slot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Characters Brave could reasonably be besides Erdrick:
  • Agnes/Any Bravely Default character
  • Slime
  • Reinhardt
  • Princess Merida
  • Batman
  • US Marine Trans people
  • Coyote Peterson
  • Brave Little Toaster
  • Lancelot the Brave
  • Robin Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I know there would only be one dlc fighter from the mother series if any, I just think Porky and Giygas are no more likely to be dlc than him. I am of the opinion that the ASC spirit is Porky's spirit though.
Actually, the sprite used for that Spirit is specifically the one before he's gotten inside of it, and is actually the far less commonly known version of the sprite.

As such, it does not technically reference Porky at all.

D

Deleted member

Characters Brave could reasonably be besides Erdrick:
  • Agnes/Any Bravely Default character
  • Slime
  • Reinhardt
  • Princess Merida
  • Batman
  • US Marine Trans people
  • Coyote Peterson
What about the Brave Little Toaster, Lancelot the Brave and Robin Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot?

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the sprite used for that Spirit is specifically the one before he's gotten inside of it, and is actually the far less commonly known version of the sprite.

As such, it does not technically reference Porky at all.
I understand the appeal to that argument, but to me it just seems like the same thing. I am biased though, so that probably is influencing my opinion.
Edit: I will stop talking about this in this thread, sorry.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In a crazy turn of events if it's either one of Kamiya's superhero characters. Viewtiful Joe or Wonder Red.

Wasn't there a tease of Wonderful 101 coming to Switch and we've yet to see an announcement?

Top Bottom