• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Sorry I misspoke. I don't mean Joker was around during the ballot, what I mean is that any smash poll I've seen after the fact has no presence of Joker or even Persona. As in I've never seen a Smash fanbase for Joker at all.

I'm not 100 % convinced it's him. At the very least it could be a BD character or Yuri. I'm skeptical and don't wanna get btfo.
as the creator of the joker support thread i take offense to this

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I mean, I’m not 100% sold on any DQ Rep.

But yeah, it feels like some people are going way too deep in trying to disprove Erdrick.

And while I can’t, in any way, deconfirm him, I do have my reasons as to why I’m not as confident as some of you guys are.

But I’ll save that for another post if any of you are interested in that.
All right. I said I would explain my reasoning behind my skepticism, so I am.

First off, when dealing with the Square rep speculation, I only really pay attention to 3 different things:

1. The datamine
2. Vergeben’s claim of a Square newcomer
3. The list of 7 Square reps

I consider the 5chan leak + all other discussed leaks to be complete BS, since they actually don’t PROVE any new info and state things that are already being speculated elsewhere. This could change, but ONLY if an original claim is proven true.

The datamine is the one and only piece of info that we know is fact. This takes precedent over any leaker’s claims. If someone says something that contradicts this, then I’m going to seriously question the validity of the leaker’s info.

I take Vergeben’s claim of a Square rep in a higher regard than any other piece of DLC leaker info for 2 reasons:
1. The claim was made during BASE ROSTER speculation.
2. Nothing in the datamine outright contradicts it.

Lastly, the Square 7 is something I keep in the back of my mind. It’s notable enough and isn’t contradicted by the datamine, but hearing names isn’t a good enough reason for me to put faith into only these 7 characters.

So when I look at the info above, I can see why a DQ rep is considered likely.

But based off a codename, a company, and a list of 7 names being thrown around by insiders/leakers, there’s absolutely NO WAY that I can be 100% confident in Erdrick, or a DQ Rep in general.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
There was a fanbase for Persona/Shin Megami Tensei in Smash.

Just as there was one and is one for Dragon Quest.

There was even a small one for Joker.

And that's not revisionist history.
It's revisionist because there are people here that are acting like there was a huge Joker fanbase for smash while simultaneously saying Erdrick has none. If there was a Joker/SMT fanbase then fine but there are people in this very thread who act like it was huge and Erdrick had none which is my issue.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Man there were like three of us in the Joker thread and we gave up on him two days before his reveal.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I just want to point out Joker's lack of popularity pre confirmation is not exactly true. Joker was popular.... but not on Smashboards. I saw a LOT of Persona support on Twitter and Youtube. So the whole picture is not being taken into account right now.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
All right. I said I would explain my reasoning behind my skepticism, so I am.

First off, when dealing with the Square rep speculation, I only really pay attention to 3 different things:

1. The datamine
2. Vergeben’s claim of a Square newcomer
3. The list of 7 Square reps

I consider the 5chan leak + all other discussed leaks to be complete BS, since they actually don’t PROVE any new info and state things that are already being speculated elsewhere. This could change, but ONLY if an original claim is proven true.

The datamine is the one and only piece of info that we know is fact. This takes precedent over any leaker’s claims. If someone says something that contradicts this, then I’m going to seriously question the validity of the leaker’s info.

I take Vergeben’s claim of a Square rep in a higher regard than any other piece of DLC leaker info for 2 reasons:
1. The claim was made during BASE ROSTER speculation.
2. Nothing in the datamine outright contradicts it.

Lastly, the Square 7 is something I keep in the back of my mind. It’s notable enough and isn’t contradicted by the datamine, but hearing names isn’t a good enough reason for me to put faith into only these 7 characters.

So when I look at the info above, I can see why a DQ rep is considered likely.

But based off a codename, a company, and a list of 7 names being thrown around by insiders/leakers, there’s absolutely NO WAY that I can be 100% confident in Erdrick, or a DQ Rep in general.
Yeah, I think Erdrick is likely, but the proof we have isn't good enough to make him a lock imo.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Brave is Erdrick I mean Jesus Christ the guy who leaked Cloud in Smash 4 came out and said it was him. Erdrick has all 5 infinity leakers in his gauntlet. You really don't need anymore proof. This is like 'Kencineroar' all over again.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I just want to point out Joker's lack of popularity pre confirmation is not exactly true. Joker was popular.... but not on Smashboards. I saw a LOT of Persona support on Twitter and Youtube. So the whole picture is not being taken into account right now.
Joker was seen as a major pipe dream by basically everyone who supported him, myself and my friend group included. The very idea of a character perfect for Smash in a popular game that had absolutely no chance.

Or, y'know, so we thought.

Also I don't think it's foolish to say that Brave has the possibility of not being DQ when you consider Yuri Lowell has as much of a possibility of being the character but based on everything we know it makes the most sense that Brave is DQ.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Joker was seen as a major pipe dream by basically everyone who supported him, myself and my friend group included. The very idea of a character perfect for Smash in a popular game that had absolutely no chance.

Also I don't think it's foolish to say that Brave has the possibility of not being DQ when you consider Yuri Lowell has as much of a possibility of being the character but based on everything we know it makes the most sense that Brave is DQ.
Despite being a pipe dream; I'd say he definitely had a lot of supporters regardless.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

Cloud seemed impossible, Joker seemed impossible, Erdrick seems impossible? Seemed for me.
The Legal Nightmare struggle it's real, but it doesn't make it impossible at all, Sakurai already made history and he can do it again, having DQ out of DQ is such a dream come true (As good or as bad it can be for others)

Edit: Btw, Erdrick finally got over geno at the poll, what took so long

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The funny thing about Brave is the assumption the stats are finished as well.

There's a lot of assumptions to make Brave anyone at the moment to make it definitely anyone.

We've seen stats change and I find those more damning to who it may or may not be than just using ''Brave" as a codename.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, leakers have been hearing tales a lot too, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is Yuri. I would personally give the chances 85% Erdrick, 14% Yuri, 1% other.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The funny thing about Brave is the assumption the stats are finished as well.

There's a lot of assumptions to make Brave anyone at the moment to make it definitely anyone.

We've seen stats change and I find those more damning to who it may or may not be than just using ''Brave" as a codename.
I'm just waiting for PolarPanda PolarPanda to get a leaked script for the next direct so we can put this to rest.

D

Deleted member

Do you guys think there will be a direct on the 10th?
All we can really do is wait and see. If there is it will probably be announced tomorrow, but I would be surprised if we don't get one by the end of the month.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Here's my question. If yuusha is meant to be translated as hero/brave. Why was his codename not hero?

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Here's my question. If yuusha is meant to be translated as hero/brave. Why was his codename not hero?
It would make it pretty obvious that it’s Dragon Quest if enough pieces are put together

Sakurai and his team know this, so they used extremely broad terms/minimal correlated names to not give away who they are for any data miners. It’s the same reason why “Jack” is used for Joker, and the leakers who knew this all the way in November probably didn’t know who the hell he was until Joker was shown off.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Because pretty much all programming languages are done in English and some English proficiency is needed.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/alfredth/2011/07/21/why-are-all-programming-languages-in-english/

The guy who wrote the code probably threw the "codename" in translate, or directly translated it and it came out as brave (direct translation of Yuusha) instead of hero (which is what we call the class that Erdrick is in in the West). They didn't need to "localize" it because why bother?

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Because Brave is the more correct translation of Yuusha. It is only commonly localized as "Hero" Because of context. For a situation where "Brave" is kept, The Brave Sword from Fire Emblem is a stellar example.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Because pretty much all programming languages are done in English and some English proficiency is needed.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/alfredth/2011/07/21/why-are-all-programming-languages-in-english/

The guy who wrote the code probably threw the "codename" in translate, or directly translated it and it came out as brave (direct translation of Yuusha) instead of hero (which is what we call the class that Erdrick is in in the West). They didn't need to "localize" it because why bother?
Because Brave is the more correct translation of Yuusha. It is only commonly localized as "Hero" Because of context. For a situation where "Brave" is kept, The Brave Sword from Fire Emblem is a stellar example.

It was to my understanding that Yuusha's literal translation was hero. But this makes sense, thank you.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Brave is Erdrick I mean Jesus Christ the guy who leaked Cloud in Smash 4 came out and said it was him. Erdrick has all 5 infinity leakers in his gauntlet. You really don't need anymore proof. This is like 'Kencineroar' all over again.
Y'all Erdrick fans need to be like this dude
You won! Stop being hesitant. Just celebrate.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I would like that,, but given the timing, I can't really tell whether or not Tansut saw more than just the datamine. If he has his own sources that's something else entirely.
no

Calane

Smash Ace
I would like that,, but given the timing, I can't really tell whether or not Tansut saw more than just the datamine. If he has his own sources that's something else entirely.
It would seem like he does since he says Erdrick has male and female alts like Robin/Corrin. That's not info you'd get from the datamine, so unless he's just assuming (or making things up), he has to have some kind of source.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
It would seem like he does since he says Erdrick has male and female alts like Robin/Corrin. That's not info you'd get from the datamine, so unless he's just assuming (or making things up), he has to have some kind of source.
Btw could you link me the full image of your avatar? I'd love to save it :)

Calane

Smash Ace
Btw could you link me the full image of your avatar? I'd love to save it :)
Not sure if I can link it, as I'm not exactly sure who made it. I can try to post it in a spoiler if you like. Let's see if this works...
DQ.jpg

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My point being is that given the legal shenanigans, it makes no sense from a worthwhile business perspective for Nintendo of Japan who influenced the DLC choices. Given that there was no noteworthy fan demand pre and post Smash ballot for any DQ characters, even in Japan, it seems like a colossal waste of money for them. Just because it's iconic in just one country doesn't mean it will translate to sales outside of it. That, and Geno, Sora, and even Goku fans would be pretty pissed off that it's a character they didn't ask for. It's not like Joker who did actually have Western presence/demand.
I do not care, and in fact I rejoice, in Goku fans being pissed.

What I've learned through all this is that Square Enix, and especially the other 4 proxies are notoriously stingy to work with. And it's gotten to the point many Smash fans are terrified of any DQ content making into Smash Ultimate because of how it could affect the competitive scene.
I’ve only seen like 2 people be scared of that and it’s because of misinformation.

Not Nintendo, the customer base that enjoys the competitive scene. I've seen quite a few players that enjoy it terrified of anything Toriyama-related making it to Smash Bros on the possibility of having the tournaments shut down like what happened with Shuesha and having all tournaments for FighterZ going forward only allowed under their sponsorship.
When Erdrick is revealed and nothing happens to the fighting game community, will people still be terrified of Erdrick?

If not then the argument holds no water because Nintendo would have ensured that that wouldn’t happen during licensing. And the FighterZ situation is the fault of parties not involved in Dragon Quest.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I understand Erdrick is basically 90% at this point. I also won’t deny he is almost guaranteed to be our 2nd Square Rep. That being said, we should not take leaks or the datamine as 100% it’s Erdrick. That’s what always gets people with leaks and why so many were burned with the Grinch leak. There’s wisdom in having a healthy skepticism regarding leaks. In Injustice 2 so many people were sure Ed Boon was trolling with Raiden no one took it seriously and almost everyone thought Spawn was a sure lock. Then almost all got fooled Raiden was real, and Spawn was not added.

My point is even if all signs are pointing to Erdrick, we should not dismiss the idea that it could not be him even if it’s a 5% chance of happening. Until they officially announce him, we should not 100% say he’s in. There’s always a possibility that Nintendo could fool everyone. Let’s not forget how Nintendo fooled all insiders with the Metroid Prime Trilogy then out of nowhere showed a Joker reveal. Again I’m not saying Erdrick is not our 2nd Square Rep, only there is a possibility even if it’s small that he won’t be.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I thought I won with the grinch thought I got isaac I was wrong I'm not gonna get burned again so I'm keeping my expectations down I'm happy it could be erdrick but I'm not putting my eggs in the one basket

D

Deleted member

Erdrick fans are the only ones who shouldn't take all of this as 100% confirmation.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You of all people should know how victory can get snatched away by the jaws of last minute defeat.
Man there were like three of us in the Joker thread and we gave up on him two days before his reveal.
I was there and I never gave up. Just like with Phoenix Wright.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean when I was 6 my doctor said I was brave so the evidence is pretty damning is you ask me.

Top Bottom