• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

To dismiss the Square Rep thing when Verge has heard it since back in September with multiple sources stating different names and multiple insiders verifying it is dumb. People find the weakest excuses to dismiss Verge and this is nothing but confirmation bias in play. There's no way there's no Square character with all these names going around.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My problem is that this kind of sinks into double dipping; leasing out 2B to two SEPARATE fighting games kind of makes her draw....lessened, if you get what I mean.
While normally I'd get it, I gotta say - and yeah, this is personal bias - as her game is one of the best I've ever played I love the idea of playing as her in the greatest crossover ever. It's awesome she's in Soulcalibur, but being in Smash is such a different beast when you can consider who she would be able to mix it up with. I think the two franchises are different enough to work.

I still don't think she's likely - a shocking Squeenix pick is more likely Neku or Crono - but she's on my pipe dream wish list and seems actually possible now.

D

Deleted member

Let's look at Joker for a secodn, shall we? It shows Nintendo doesn't care about basically advertising games that are exclusive to other consoles. Persona is a popular series, Joker is a popular character, he's gonna sell, that's what we can assumr they care about.
So, from that list, who "feels" a lot like Joker? Geno and Crono are dead. DQ is big in Japan but the fact it's niche in the majority of the world might turn them away. Sephiroth doesn't attract new fans as the FFVII are already in due to Cloud. So, who's left? Sora. A big name from a big franchise who attracts a ****ton of new fans and will sell like water.
If we assume Joker is the standard and not am exception, Sora is the one who makes the most sense. Back when Ridley was revealed, I wondered for a long time if he was the rule or the exception, as it turned out, he was the rule and all other newcomers were extremely popular.
But can we safely assume that from Joker? Certainly not, but it's fun to analyze it while we can. The issue is that Sora has been said to "not be it" multiple times which puts him in a weird spot as the only character to have been singled out for unbiased reasons. Either this was a direct misdirect or, well, Sora really ain't it.

And if it isn't Sora, it's gonna de DQ.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Looking at Squenix' franchises, Sora and a DQ character are probably the most likely. You have literally dead characters like Geno, Gex (lol) or Chrono, not that popular ones (Hitman, Lara Croft) and well, KH and DQ. Add Nier Automata (2B) to that because its great reception puts it in a spot somewhat similar to Joker and Persona.

Others don't make that much sense to me. Presumably a big part of Jokers inclusion was due to P5 being the best received JRPG this generation (according to metacritic) and amongst the best received games this entire generation.

Despite the "leaks", I don't think more Squenix content is likely tho if the amount of FF7 content is anything to go by. Could also be because I usually don't trust leakers.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I'm also believing, if there's any Square character, it will be Sora or Dragon Quest. Neku may have a slight chance too.

Dragon Quest may be more niche than FF in the west, but it's still a known game. Not less than Persona at least.

I really think that Geno, Chrono and Sephiroth are out with recent information.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
To dismiss the Square Rep thing when Verge has heard it since back in September with multiple sources stating different names and multiple insiders verifying it is dumb. People find the weakest excuses to dismiss Verge and this is nothing but confirmation bias in play. There's no way there's no Square character with all these names going around.
Oh I definitely agree there will be a Square Rep. However I am basing that on the fact that is Square’s most likely move, not because of Vergeben. Square loves cross promotion it’s true they are stingy, but they are willing to play along if it’s in their best interest. Which in this case it is, because it gives then cross promotion. Square has made a presence in almost every recent fighting game with a guest character, Noctis in Tekken 7, 2B in Soul Calibur and they even let Behemoth be in Monster Hunter World. Due to the high amounts of recent cross promotions I really doubt they will not have a second rep, in one of the biggest if not the biggest fighting game of the year.

What I don’t agree with are all claims surrounding which Square characters have been heard. If we go by Vergebens list that would be Crono, Erdrick, The Luminary, Slime, Sephiroth, Geno who he was told to not take seriously and Sora who was a for sure no. Then we have the LinkedIn Square story of only three of those being real, and one of them was immediately shot down. Then we got even more stories of Sora being immediately turned down and his creators rallying which includes Nomura, and Square still said no.

My point is all these leaks do not fit with each other. It’s seems very suspicious they are targeting Sora and immediately dismissing him. Also we are getting leaks of very private business decisions and employee reactions. We have never received this high amount of information from Square before. I think one of the characters from that list is correct, but that’s due to the high popularity of the characters on that list.

It should also be stated it could be none of them, and Square could choose Neku, as he is a middle of the road character. He has a high enough fan base, and he will help them cross promote. I personally believe it’s going to be Sora though, as he has the highest potential to make all 3 parties of Disney Nintendo and Square the highest amount of income.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Let's look at Joker for a secodn, shall we? It shows Nintendo doesn't care about basically advertising games that are exclusive to other consoles. Persona is a popular series, Joker is a popular character, he's gonna sell, that's what we can assumr they care about.
So, from that list, who "feels" a lot like Joker? Geno and Crono are dead. DQ is big in Japan but the fact it's niche in the majority of the world might turn them away. Sephiroth doesn't attract new fans as the FFVII are already in due to Cloud. So, who's left? Sora. A big name from a big franchise who attracts a ****ton of new fans and will sell like water.
If we assume Joker is the standard and not am exception, Sora is the one who makes the most sense. Back when Ridley was revealed, I wondered for a long time if he was the rule or the exception, as it turned out, he was the rule and all other newcomers were extremely popular.
But can we safely assume that from Joker? Certainly not, but it's fun to analyze it while we can. The issue is that Sora has been said to "not be it" multiple times which puts him in a weird spot as the only character to have been singled out for unbiased reasons. Either this was a direct misdirect or, well, Sora really ain't it.

And if it isn't Sora, it's gonna de DQ.
I would also like for fans to stop pushing the "a character has to be on a Nintendo console" rule, because that has been broken so many times when it comes to third parties, I'm surprised that people still use it. Really, this "rule" should've died back when Cloud got revealed. It's obvious that they don't care about console exclusitivity like the fans seem to think, because if they did cared about that we wouldn't have those characters to begin with.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I would also like for fans to stop pushing the "a character has to be on a Nintendo console" rule, because that has been broken so many times when it comes to third parties, I'm surprised that people still use it. Really, this "rule" should've died back when Cloud got revealed. It's obvious that they don't care about console exclusitivity like the fans seem to think, because if they did cared about that we wouldn't have those characters to begin with.
Even if a character did not appear on a Nintendo console (Cloud, Joker) other games in their franchises have been on Nintendo consoles. There has yet to be a character whose entire franchise never appeared on a Nintendo console.

D

Deleted member

Both Cloud and Joker have appeared on Nintendo consoles for ****'s sake we've been over this already.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's a full list of all possible Square reps, in my opinion:

The Seven
Geno
Sora
Crono
Erdrick
Slime
Luminary
Sephiroth

Other FF Characters
Cecil
Terra
Lightning
Noctis

Other Non-FF Characters
Neku
Lara Croft
2B

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Even if a character did not appear on a Nintendo console (Cloud, Joker) other games in their franchises have been on Nintendo consoles. There has yet to be a character whose entire franchise never appeared on a Nintendo console.
Okay, that's a good point I'll admit that. There has been no third party where it hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console completly, even still that's just minor. But people still need to stop saying that some of these games, especially the recent games NEED to be on Nintendo console in order to be in Smash. We still don't have Street Fighter V on the Nintendo Switch, and who knows if we are going to get the next mainline Final Fantasy game on the Switch. Stuff like that are up in the air until proven otherwise.
Oh I definitely agree there will be a Square Rep. However I am basing that on the fact that is Square’s most likely move, not because of Vergeben. Square loves cross promotion it’s true they are stingy, but they are willing to play along if it’s in their best interest. Which in this case it is, because it gives then cross promotion. Square has made a presence in almost every recent fighting game with a guest character, Noctis in Tekken 7, 2B in Soul Calibur and they even let Behemoth be in Monster Hunter World. Due to the high amounts of recent cross promotions I really doubt they will not have a second rep, in one of the biggest if not the biggest fighting game of the year.

What I don’t agree with are all claims surrounding which Square characters have been heard. If we go by Vergebens list that would be Crono, Erdrick, The Luminary, Slime, Sephiroth, Geno who he was told to not take seriously and Sora who was a for sure no. Then we have the LinkedIn Square story of only three of those being real, and one of them was immediately shot down. Then we got even more stories of Sora being immediately turned down and his creators rallying which includes Nomura, and Square still said no.

My point is all these leaks do not fit with each other. It’s seems very suspicious they are targeting Sora and immediately dismissing him. Also we are getting leaks of very private business decisions and employee reactions. We have never received this high amount of information from Square before. I think one of the characters from that list is correct, but that’s due to the high popularity of the characters on that list.

It should also be stated it could be none of them, and Square could choose Neku, as he is a middle of the road character. He has a high enough fan base, and he will help them cross promote. I personally believe it’s going to be Sora though, as he has the highest potential to make all 3 parties of Disney Nintendo and Square the highest amount of income.
Well, Nintendo did have to deal with BOTH Sega and Atlus to even approve Joker, whose to say they can't do the same thing with Square and Disney. They did have to deal with two companies for Joker, one of them was already in the game anyway.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Okay, that's a good point I'll admit that. There has been no third party where it hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console completly, even still that's just minor. But people still need to stop saying that some of these games, especially the recent games NEED to be on Nintendo console in order to be in Smash. We still don't have Street Fighter V on the Nintendo Switch, and who knows if we are going to get the next mainline Final Fantasy game on the Switch. Stuff like that are up in the air until proven otherwise.

Well, Nintendo did have to deal with BOTH Sega and Atlus to even approve Joker, whose to say they can't do the same thing with Square and Disney. They did have to deal with two companies for Joker, one of them was already in the game anyway.
Except with Sora, you would have to go through the biggest multimedia corporation on the planet. Given that Sakurai likes representing characters faithfully, some Disney characters may have to be licensed out and they would have to get the license to the Mickey Mouse logo because it's on a keychain on Sora's Keyblade.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Except with Sora, you would have to go through the biggest multimedia corporation on the planet. Given that Sakurai likes representing characters faithfully, some Disney characters may have to be licensed out and they would have to get the license to the Mickey Mouse logo because it's on a keychain on Sora's Keyblade.
Just replace it with something else, like Kairi's pendant. Again, they don't need the Disney elements to represent Kingdom Hearts. The Disney properties for the series as of recently are more than backdrops for the world to push the story forward. Just use original stuff that's exclusive to Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts alone. That's all they have to do, it's not that hard as people try to make it out to be! Use places like Twighlight Town, or Destiny Islands as a stage, use original KH tracks like "Simple and Clean." The Disney stuff aren't THAT NEEDED! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Keep in mind Disney is not as hard to negotiate with as everyone makes it sound.

Let’s look at their past

Disney allowed Ralph who is a bigger name to
Disney than Sora, in Sonic & All Stars racing.

Disney allowed Thanos to be in Fortnite

Disney has allowed Ralph to have small cameos in Fortnite, and there’s rumors he might be playable.

Disney allowed Armor King in Tekken 7 to have a Black Panther costume.

Disney allowed Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 to be a Nintendo Switch exclusive.

So dealing with Disney is not as hard as everyone makes it seem, they can be generous in their deals as well. In fact I would say Disney is nowhere as stingy in their deals as Square is. Now if we have Bob Iger(Disney CEO) coming to the table with Shuntaro Furukawa (Nintendo CEO) and Yosuke Matsuda (Square Enix CEO). Alongside Sakurai and Nomura, I’m sure they could work out a deal. Bob Iger has proven many times he can close deals. He was in charge of the following acquisitions Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Fox. He was also in charge of securing partnerships with Sony alongside Kevin Feige to get Spiderman in the MCU. So I would not underestimate Disney when it comes to negotiating, they have proven to be persuasive. And they have also proven they can be reasonable and be willing to cooperate.

Edit: Also consider how many gaming companies Disney had to make deals with in Wreck it Ralph1.

The list is the following:

Activision Blizzard
Atari
Bandai Namco
Capcom
Gottlieb
Konami
Netherealm
Nintendo
Sega
Square Enix

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It looks like people are still using "muh relevency" as an argument against Geno after K.Rool and Ridley got in. Who has to get in in order to shatter this fan rule, lmao?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I've been out of this thread since Joker's announcement. What's the general consensus regarding the "rumoured seven" now?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Considering Nomura, Cloud's creator himself seemed to think Cloud wasn't as relevant anymore and was shocked that Sakurai asked for him.

I don't know if we can really say what is or isn't relevant.

I mean Cloud is always appearing in SOMETHING.

Also you know Snake might as well be dead right now, his only saving grace his iconic nature. Cause Konami sure as hell isn't gonna touch him now that Kojima is gone. They'd be insane too, the fan backlash would be even worse than Survive.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also y'all gonna start bringing up 2B and Sora again now, huh
I think 2B is a dead cause. I appreciate that ole homegirl is beloved, but I doubt they'd have put her in Soul Calibur if she was also showing up in Smash.

This is why I'm also doubtful of Rayman. Him even more so. At least 2B isn't ''settling". Rayman is just straight up settling in the ****fest he's in.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Also y'all gonna start bringing up 2B and Sora again now, huh
I still trust Verg on the Square topic, but honestly, I'm all open to see Sora or any of the characters that weren't on the list. It honestly just depends on how far Nintendo wants to go with "unexpected" additions.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel like Sora is both unexpected and expected at the same time.

He's so massive he has that dual edge sword duality going for him.

Now if he shows up and he's got Donald and Goofy with him in a Final Smash or something?

If you rope the Disney elements in?

The unexpected goes off the ****ing charts.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I still trust Verg on the Square topic, but honestly, I'm all open to see Sora or any of the characters that weren't on the list. It honestly just depends on how far Nintendo wants to go with "unexpected" additions.
I mean, I don't. Because he also was definite in that the Squenix rep would be the first DLC announced.
I believe in the list, yeah, because that isn't just Verge.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If we get someone "unexpected" can it at least be the OG's?

I'm of course talking about my bois; the Space Invaders.

D

Deleted member

It's gonna be one of the Seven, I wouldn't set up yourself for disappointment in believing the actual charactetlr somehow didn't make i to the list.
I really wanna bet on Sora because he makes all the sense in the world but I trust Verge and that was the one hard deconfirm.
I could actually see Geno happening if the Mii Costume sales were high enough that Nintendo went "wow people actually want edgy pinocchio?"
It looks like people are still using "muh relevency" as an argument against Geno after K.Rool and Ridley got in. Who has to get in in order to shatter this fan rule, lmao?
I'll never understand why people call Ridley irrelevant when he never stopped showimg up in Metroid games. Heck, they even added him in the Metroid 2 remake and that was his one absence from the 2D games(which makes Prime 2 the only game Ridley does not appear in some form)

beans

Smash Lord
Why exactly is Sephiroth out now, also? Is it just that he's seen on the same level as Sora by insiders?
Apparently on the inner circle Sephiroth is believed to be out, tough its based on speculation on their part alone if I'm not mistaken

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Apparently on the inner circle Sephiroth is believed to be out, tough its based on speculation on their part alone if I'm not mistaken
I believe you may be mistaken actually. It seems there's a definite reason why they're just not saying, as it's said he's in a similar situation to Sora.

beans

Smash Lord
I believe you may be mistaken actually. It seems there's a definite reason why they're just not saying, as it's said he's in a similar situation to Sora.
I based what I said on the State of Geno post by Fatmanonice
https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...e-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-526#post-22811889

Inside insider circles, Sephiroth now has almost as many people saying that he's flat out not going to be in as Sora. This makes sense based on yesterday's events. For starters, Joker is technically a SEGA character, adding pretty conclusive evidence that they are not going to double dip in third party franchises. My theory I made about brand saturation vs brand expansion seems to be spot on. If a franchise was going to double dip with a new unique character in Smash, Sonic was by far the most likely and these chances have gone down significantly, bringing everything else to a bottom level.
Tough by the looks of it, I misinterpreted what he said, by believing that his theory was the conclusion inside the circles and not only his.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The rule has literally never been broken lol.

Probably Geno himself. I mean, I kinda get it, while K. Rool proved you don’t have to be relevant, Geno’s in a whole other level of irrelevance. He’s a really interesting phenomenon.

What K. Rool proved to me is that to beat irrelevance, all you have to do is beat every single other videogame character ever in a poll that might not happen again. Which kinda sucks, but that’s the reality we’re living in it appears.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Another thing people I would like to add about Verge, his information changes most likely all the time. Since his dms got leaked, he doesn’t share his information anymore, hitagi hasn’t talked to verge since the November direct. That’s why he hasn’t publicly said anything about Square, I guarantee you things have changed. I’m also pretty damn sure xenother is just piggybacking off of verge, just look at his god damn gamefaqs account, it’s like a month old. So, what I’m trying to say is stop taking the claims about the list as fact, seriously. Things change.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I based what I said on the State of Geno post by Fatmanonice
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-526#post-22811889

Tough by the looks of it, I misinterpreted what he said, by believing that his theory was the conclusion inside the circles and not only his.
While I normally Should update the thread with those information. I won't for the simple reasons that... I still feel some sort of biase here.

He seems to push up for Geno hard, which is understandable, we all have our favorite, but he also say in the same/another post (lazy to check it again) that most insiders also lend toward a DQ rep as of now after the VGA.

I truly feels that everyone is biased toward who is the Square-Enix rep and everyone is in play.

Especially Sora who weirdly is "absolutely out" for some weird reasons that were never explained.

And also Geno that we shouldn't "take seriously".

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Another thing people I would like to add about Verge, his information changes most likely all the time. Since his dms got leaked, he doesn’t share his information anymore, hitagi hasn’t talked to verge since the November direct. That’s why he hasn’t publicly said anything about Square, I guarantee you things have changed. I’m also pretty damn sure xenother is just piggybacking off of verge, just look at his god damn gamefaqs account, it’s like a month old. So, what I’m trying to say is stop taking the claims about the list as fact, seriously. Things change.
Something weird is clearly going on with him right now. Ever since he talked about the Minecraft content being a boss, he hasn't been "right" about his statements (he can still be right, but it's clear people won't put as much trust on him as before), and oddly enough, the info that he has shared clearly comes from the same sources he's talked about before (the ones that provided him info on Ridley, Simon, Isabelle, Incineroar and the Isaac AT), so there was no reason for him to hesitate any info he got.

D

Deleted member

It's hard to not be biased in this scenario, we've never had a definitive list of specific characters. It nails down the candidates for a slot considerably and puts them alp in "direct competition".
Sometikes these biases aren't just for said character, I know I have been trying to find every reason to convince myself already that it's anyone other than Crono to avoid what would likely be disappointment.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I've said it once and I'll say it as many times as I need to, but I don't believe anything that Fatmanonice and other insiders say. Nintendo have proven themselves capable of spreading misinformation with The Game Awards, and we have no reason to trust what they say based off of that.

D

Deleted member

I've said it once and I'll say it as many times as I need to, but I don't believe anything that Fatmanonice and other insiders say. Nintendo have proven themselves capable of spreading misinformation with The Game Awards, and we have no reason to trust what they say based off of that.
Because Nintendo has clearly managed to spread a ton of misinformation back during pre-release, no? And what misinformation are you even talking about? We only ever believed Metroid would be shown because of a online store listing which was speculative in the first place.

Top Bottom