• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spirited Away - Game Thread - Game Over!

HeuristicCheese

Smash Rookie
I find it hard to count this as a win since I lost all activity, still haven't read the thread.

But Z25 doesn't matter how right you are if you lose. You have to persuade people. Scum's job isn't to look townie, it's to not get lynched.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
also sorry Z25 Z25 for being toxic to you I felt like my hand was forced because you called me out so hard
You weren’t toxic. I wouldn’t expect someone on the mafia team to not fight back an accusation. So don’t worry about it! Was still fun, gg.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I find it hard to count this as a win since I lost all activity, still haven't read the thread.

But Z25 doesn't matter how right you are if you lose. You have to persuade people. Scum's job isn't to look townie, it's to not get lynched.
Scum’s job is literally to look town so they don’t get lynched. They aren’t separate things, they go hand in hand.

Also I figured like 7 posts of actually information and Showcase of why your team wasn’t town would have been convincing enough.

Im not sure what Sabrar thought of all my points, but the big ones should really ping anyone. Ipointed out how your lashes switch couldn’t be legit when you made it seem you were fully aware of his original post. On top of literally claiming you wanted to start a wagon on a random player.

That was definitely the biggest sign of a no way this person could be town. My biggest point on Bessie refusing to commit to Somi I felt was also pretty convincing. FF was harder to prove true inconsistencies with, but looking at Bessie’s posts, you could piece a connection together. Mainly when I saw Bessie refused to entertain the fact you or FF were scum, despite every other slot considering it; I was pretty confident they were aligned with you. Which is another valid point imo. So I would say my cases on you two were pretty strong, while FF was weaker.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
As I elaborated on discord, you started your case on Swiss with something I knew was factually incorrect and that immediately lessened the weight of all your future arguments in my mind. Plus I found your conviction in your scum-reads dissonant with your paranoia about your town-reads.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As I elaborated on discord, you started your case on Swiss with something I knew was factually incorrect and that immediately lessened the weight of all your future arguments in my mind. Plus I found your conviction in your scum-reads dissonant with your paranoia about your town-reads.
I didn’t have paranoia though.

I knew you and laser were hard town. I advocated why Ryu was town, and Somi I had no real clue on till I re read.

Again though, at the end of the day, scum is never going to go they far. The fact I was the most active in the game should have at least boosted your faith in me a bit.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Thank you all for playing, I hope it was interesting. What appeals to me about this setup, at least in theory, is that it rewards active solving and invested scum play. As Swiss said, typically in mafia scum's job isn't to look townie, but to not get eliminated. To me, I think this allows for scum to play on the lazy side, as they don't necessarily have to outrun the metaphorical bear, just be faster than the other guy. With the need to be sanctioned in this setup, however, scum do have to put in the work of playing townie. This in turn means that townies have to put in the work and be involved as well, as they are directly competing with scum to be sanctioned.

Unfortunately, I don't think this run worked out that way. It ended up being a busy month for several people in the game so overall activity was relatively low, and scum were able to get by fine without inserting themselves too much. Admittedly, I did intend for this game to be low pressure in terms of activity requirements, and to be lax on enforcing them. I don't think mafia in general, but this setup in particular, lends itself well to excessive replacements. And I wanted this to just be a chill summer game. I'd like to see it run again though when there's enough people who have the time to fully invest.

I don't have notes for every player, but some things that stood out to me:

somitomi somitomi Z25 Z25 LaserGuy LaserGuy I was very impressed with each of your play. Somi, your logic was nearly perfect and it was great seeing you more involved. Z25, your reads were spectacular. Incredibly well done. My only advice would be to shorten your posts. It helps me to type them out in a PM and then come back later to edit and reduce them so as to only communicate the most vital information. Otherwise, it's hard to get lost in where your position lies precisely. Laser, considering the type of scum player that this setup needs, I was actually low-key hoping you would rand scum. Fortunately the scum team did end up getting Swiss though so it worked out. I thought all three of you played very townie, I'm not sure why you were on the chopping block.

FateShirou FateShirou it didn't occur to me when I invited you to give you a heads up about the cultural difference in phase lengths between what you're used to, my apologies. It seemed you had a difficult time with the lengthy phases. Your early reads were very on point, but I think with the phase lengths and activity, you felt forced to playing more assertively than your usual more observational style. Also I love your cute little dancing gifs. Thank you for joining, it means a lot.

Z25 Z25 HeuryAlone HeuryAlone #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu thank you a ton for replacing in, especially Heury for knowingly filling into a scum position. You guys are awesome and have my eternal gratitude.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Thank you all for playing, I hope it was interesting. What appeals to me about this setup, at least in theory, is that it rewards active solving and invested scum play. As Swiss said, typically in mafia scum's job isn't to look townie, but to not get eliminated. To me, I think this allows for scum to play on the lazy side, as they don't necessarily have to outrun the metaphorical bear, just be faster than the other guy. With the need to be sanctioned in this setup, however, scum do have to put in the work of playing townie. This in turn means that townies have to put in the work and be involved as well, as they are directly competing with scum to be sanctioned.

Unfortunately, I don't think this run worked out that way. It ended up being a busy month for several people in the game so overall activity was relatively low, and scum were able to get by fine without inserting themselves too much. Admittedly, I did intend for this game to be low pressure in terms of activity requirements, and to be lax on enforcing them. I don't think mafia in general, but this setup in particular, lends itself well to excessive replacements. And I wanted this to just be a chill summer game. I'd like to see it run again though when there's enough people who have the time to fully invest.

I don't have notes for every player, but some things that stood out to me:

somitomi somitomi Z25 Z25 LaserGuy LaserGuy I was very impressed with each of your play. Somi, your logic was nearly perfect and it was great seeing you more involved. Z25, your reads were spectacular. Incredibly well done. My only advice would be to shorten your posts. It helps me to type them out in a PM and then come back later to edit and reduce them so as to only communicate the most vital information. Otherwise, it's hard to get lost in where your position lies precisely. Laser, considering the type of scum player that this setup needs, I was actually low-key hoping you would rand scum. Fortunately the scum team did end up getting Swiss though so it worked out. I thought all three of you played very townie, I'm not sure why you were on the chopping block.

FateShirou FateShirou it didn't occur to me when I invited you to give you a heads up about the cultural difference in phase lengths between what you're used to, my apologies. It seemed you had a difficult time with the lengthy phases. Your early reads were very on point, but I think with the phase lengths and activity, you felt forced to playing more assertively than your usual more observational style. Also I love your cute little dancing gifs. Thank you for joining, it means a lot.

Z25 Z25 HeuryAlone HeuryAlone #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu thank you a ton for replacing in, especially Heury for knowingly filling into a scum position. You guys are awesome and have my eternal gratitude.
It was fun subbing in. I’m almost done with college so when I graduate I might be playing more. But I’ll always try and see if I can sub in if need be.

very fair point, my posts were pretty long. I agree they just focusing on some of the key points and bringing in the others I had may have worked better.

Swiss

Smash Lord
Scum’s job is literally to look town so they don’t get lynched. They aren’t separate things, they go hand in hand.

Also I figured like 7 posts of actually information and Showcase of why your team wasn’t town would have been convincing enough.

Im not sure what Sabrar thought of all my points, but the big ones should really ping anyone. Ipointed out how your lashes switch couldn’t be legit when you made it seem you were fully aware of his original post. On top of literally claiming you wanted to start a wagon on a random player.

That was definitely the biggest sign of a no way this person could be town. My biggest point on Bessie refusing to commit to Somi I felt was also pretty convincing. FF was harder to prove true inconsistencies with, but looking at Bessie’s posts, you could piece a connection together. Mainly when I saw Bessie refused to entertain the fact you or FF were scum, despite every other slot considering it; I was pretty confident they were aligned with you. Which is another valid point imo. So I would say my cases on you two were pretty strong, while FF was weaker.
Looking townie and not being lynched are two very different things IMO

I have a long list of scum wins where one or two people could say ‘oh yeah I read you’ and all I can ever think is ‘oh yeah I won’. Your job is never to look town it is to win

While mafia depends on individual scumhunting skill - the win is all that matters. That’s what people remember.

From what you’ve said post game your reads were great (I’ve not read the thread) - but lacking that towncred through whatever medium can kill you.

FateShirou

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for joining, it means a lot.
anything for you bud

i dont have much notes besides petty insults 🤣

Z25 Z25 you played really well, i was rooting for you on the sidelines!!

bessie bessie you played well as scum, funny reading how nervous you were about being outed

will i return for more games here?
no!! i dont like this forum and i take too many things for granted like automatic vote counting and pressing a button to do an ISO
if i run with any of you who were around day 2 to watch me get lynched with 2 votes, i promise i will vote u day 1

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Looking townie and not being lynched are two very different things IMO

I have a long list of scum wins where one or two people could say ‘oh yeah I read you’ and all I can ever think is ‘oh yeah I won’. Your job is never to look town it is to win

While mafia depends on individual scumhunting skill - the win is all that matters. That’s what people remember.

From what you’ve said post game your reads were great (I’ve not read the thread) - but lacking that towncred through whatever medium can kill you.
I see this point but in a game, I’m not going to lynch anyone who whose actively participating and progressing game or has any other town tell. I’m going for whoever doesn’t have their logic add up or does something scummy( as in anti town). Sure there’s townies with low activity, but scum can also do that. So I’d rather go for slots who aren’t actively here and whose posts don’t make the most sense. With somi l, they were less active, but their contents wasn’t bad. They had fine defenses of themselves and not stuck out as overtly scum to me.
R red ryu

Good to see you again man
I mixed those tags all the time lol.
It’s #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu and then it will work. Like how Frozens name is spelled out.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
anything for you bud

i dont have much notes besides petty insults 🤣

Z25 Z25 you played really well, i was rooting for you on the sidelines!!

bessie bessie you played well as scum, funny reading how nervous you were about being outed

will i return for more games here?
no!! i dont like this forum and i take too many things for granted like automatic vote counting and pressing a button to do an ISO
if i run with any of you who were around day 2 to watch me get lynched with 2 votes, i promise i will vote u day 1
The lack of an ISO feature on here really does suck. It was fun playing with you though, you did good as a townie. When I re read the slots I suspected of scum, a lot of your points I took into consideration and thought the overlap was interesting in forming connections between the scum slots.

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Shout outs and game thoughts

Darkpit54 Darkpit54
Maven89 Maven89
Sorry you had to drop out hope you have an opportunity to play again soon.

#HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu
Thank you for replacing, too bad we didn’t get more time to interact, which was probably good because I feel you would have solved the game if you had more time. Sign up for more games I want to play with you again!

Z25 Z25
Thank you for replacing. I’m kinda disappointed we didn’t get to have that big showdown, but I think I’m more relieved because I doubt I would have come out ahead. Your final reads were right, even if your analysis was off in places. I look forward to you being able to play more often in the future, because your time in this game was much too short.

somitomi somitomi
Like usual I was tunneling on you way more than you deserved, that seems to be just the way you and I play together. If you read through scum chat, you will find that I was always suspicious of your claim for the reasons I gave in thread. You're still one of my top players perhaps someday we can have a game where we work together.

FateShirou FateShirou
Your reads in the first phase were quite good you had me worried. Too bad we were on different teams because I totally would have liked to team up with you because I feel our styles have great potential to complement each other. Sorry to hear you don’t like the forum, yes I too think not being able to ISO is the most difficult part of playing mafia here, but I feel the community is worth the inconvenience. I appreciate all the work you put in in spite of the issues with the forum and you were one of the players driving the game forward. If you ever change your mind I would love to play with you again.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame
I always feel like in every game I play with you, we never really interact and are always reading past each other, now four (?) years after our first game together I was thrilled to roll scum together. I feel we finally made a good team connection, and your posting gave me things to react to so I was able to keep providing content. Your RL time constraints were unfortunate but hopefully you will have more time in the next game we play together, please sign up for another soon!

Swiss Swiss
I was so excited to be mafia with you. I like your style, and you were such a great asset to the team. It was unfortunate that your RL got busy just as the game was going but that happens. Hopefully the next game will be better and we both won't have the RL issues that took away from our game time.

HeuryAlone HeuryAlone
Thank you for joining the game. You will always be one of my favorite people to play with because you are always good natured and positive, and you make every game enjoyable. Hope to play with you again soon.

LaserGuy LaserGuy
Not sorry for eliminating you B1 because you are one of the strongest players I know and I could never have survived another phase playing against you, you would have never let up on me. Apparently you were correct on tone (I don’t do tone reads so I’m not sure what you saw) but I feel perhaps you were wrong to focus on me claiming/not claiming. When I opened my role PM I knew I would be sending the Gold gift to Sabrar. Claiming didn’t really matter because everyone else except Sabrar claimed so the gift was obviously going to be from me. I look forward to our next game together and hopefully we will be on the same team so that you can return to being my light.

Sabrar Sabrar
I know you would probably would have preferred to stay in limbo but we needed to sanction you because you would eventually have led town to victory had you been present in the thread. As it was I all my content in B2 was created for the purpose of misguiding you. You are and will always be my mafia soulmate and favorite puppy bud ever, and your name should always be in gold.

Thank you Xivii Xivii for all your hard work modding this game. I think overall it went very well, I like the vanilla roles however I am still thinking about whether some roles could have had unintended impacts on the game, had town organized on D1.

It’s nice occasionally playing a non standard setup. I feel this game really needed a few more players, and perhaps shorter phases after the first full cycle, and judgement 1 day. I feel the long period between the eliminations caused the town to lose focus and momentum.

I feel the activity level was light, but within a reasonable level, which coincidentally worked out well for me because I was very busy over the past two weeks due to unforeseen circumstances. A game doesn’t need to be eighty pages to be fun so I don’t see the lower than customary activity level as a negative at all.

As always, looking forward to and waiting patiently for our next game together.

1622783367217.png

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Oh yes, about the roles. They were meant to be like seltzer water, a little more fun than regular water. They were meant to kick things off, give another (but minor) layer to the reasons someone may or may not be sanctioned, and give sanctioned players the ability to lightly communicate with limbo players (e.g. through cookies or gifts).

I agree the phases should have been shorter.

Top Bottom