• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spirited Away - Game Thread - Game Over!

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Spirited Away

Game Thread
This game is based on the Purgatory setup. It is non-bastard. No flavor knowledge is necessary.

Players exist in limbo: a realm between existence and nonexistence.
  • The game alternates between two phases: Banish and Sanction, beginning with the former.
  • During the Banish Phase, players vote to banish a player to nonexistence; that player's role is revealed and they are eliminated from the game.
  • During the Sanction Phase, players vote for a player to transcend limbo; that player's role is revealed and they are sent to the "Sanctioned" private topic where they can communicate with other sanctioned players.
  • Mafia (demons) win if the majority of mafia players are sanctioned. Town (spirits) win if the majority of mafia players are banished.
  • If at any time 50% of the players in limbo are demons, a Judgement Day will occur. Spirit-aligned sanctioned players will vote in their private topic to banish one of the limbo players. If that player is a spirit, demons win. Otherwise, the game continues to a Banish Phase.

Additional Notes
  • Eliminated players have separate chats: one for those who were sanctioned and one for those who were banished (this is also the spectator chat).
  • Mafia/Demons are able to communicate with each other at all times, including if they have been sanctioned (but not banished).
  • The sanctioned or banished player's role is revealed at the end of the phase they are eliminated.
Roles
  • 3 Demons
  • 6 Spirits

Abilities and Assignment

The flavor is based on the animation Spirited Away. All players have a relatively weak PR (for instance, there are no alignment cops, vigilantes, or doctors). There is no association between flavor, ability, and alignment. The process for assigning roles was as follows:
  • 9 characters were chosen from the Spirited Away movie. Each was given ability but not alignment.
  • 3 characters were then randomly assigned to be demons and the rest spirits.
  • Each player was then randomly assigned to a character.

Here is a sample Town/Spirit role card:

Hello, Xivii, you are...

Once per game, while in Limbo, you may send a message to a Sanctioned player.

Note: The role prefixes, such as "Growth," are purely aesthetic and have no functional meaning.
To vote for a player use the command ##player_name. To unvote for a player, use the command ##Unvote.
  • Votes without the double-pound sign will not be counted.
  • Non-bolded votes will be counted, but please bold them and present them on their own line.
  • You do not need to unvote before voting for another player.
All eliminations will be based on majority during the day and plurality at the end of the day, and no elimination is not possible.
Each phase will last 5 days.
  • This may be shortened or lengthened as the game goes on at the host's discretion (though never in the middle of a phase).
You are expected to have at least one fruitful post a day, though ideally more.
By signing up for this game, you agree
  • Not to cheat, and to ask the host if you believe you may do something that might go against the spirit of the game.
  • To treat all players with respect.
  • That the host has the right to replace or banish a player if they are believed to be in violation of the spirit of the game.
Additionally, I would ask that you do not publicly request for a player to be replaced, either to them or the host. If you believe a player is not fulfilling their part in the game, please message me privately.
FrozenFlame
bessie
Somitomi
Maven > replaced by Z25
Sabrar
Swiss > replaced by HeuristicCheese
LaserGuy
Darkpit > replaced by Red Ryu
FateShirou

Role PMs, demon chat, sanction chat, and spectator chat will all be on this discord server: https://discord.gg/C5xAhjF9Np

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Banish 1 Begins

Vote Count [B1-0]

Not Voting: FrozenFlame, bessie, somitomi, Maven, Sabrar, Swiss, LaserGuy, Darkpit, FateShirou

With 9 players in Limbo, it takes 5 to banish.
The deadline for Banish 1 is Friday, the 21st at 11:59 pm MT.

Last edited:

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
##Sabrar

Sheeping Sabrar.

In terms of the setup, I think there is probably some value in doing a straight D1 mass claim. There is no NK, so there isn't any danger to strong PRs claiming. We may as well get everything out there and see what we have to work with.

Maven89

Smash Master
##Sabrar

Sheeping Sabrar.

In terms of the setup, I think there is probably some value in doing a straight D1 mass claim. There is no NK, so there isn't any danger to strong PRs claiming. We may as well get everything out there and see what we have to work with.
vote: Laserguy

Sabrar

Smash Ace
I was also surprised by the game not being vanilla but given the 'impact' of my ability it might as well be.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
##Sabrar

Sheeping Sabrar.

Pretty sure there aren't really any strong PRs to claim, at least according to the setup, but i doubt there would be any harm in a mass claim. Just maybe a waste of time.

Darkpit have we ever played together?
No, I don't believe so

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
##FateShirou
Can't abide with this newbie weirdness. Speaking of which...
FateShirou FateShirou You mentioned being new here, (assuming that means new to DGames) do you have any forum mafia experience?

The roles are both weak and positively unrelated to alignment, so I don't see much point in mass claiming. Of course there isn't much risk to it either as LaserGuy pointed out.
I forgot to mention last night, there is no association between flavor, ability, and alignment.

FateShirou

Smash Apprentice

FateShirou FateShirou You mentioned being new here, (assuming that means new to DGames) do you have any forum mafia experience?
i have forum mafia experience, dont remember my record from my MAL days but post MAL i am
1-0 as scum
1-3 as town

i never played in this kind of set up

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
##Unvote

##LaserGuy

I'm sorry you rolled scum again.
Don't worry, I can't shoot you N1 this game even if I wanted to.

Maven is town - he hasn’t even read the rules
I think this is probably NAI for Maven.

The roles are both weak and positively unrelated to alignment, so I don't see much point in mass claiming. Of course there isn't much risk to it either as LaserGuy pointed out.
What value do you see in keeping that information hidden?

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Sabrar Sabrar and FateShirou FateShirou , whar are your pronouns?

No value in keeping it hidden, but it seems like a waste of time to keep pushing for something you know will have little benefit, if any. Regardless, I'll go ahead and put my flavor out there in hopes of moving forward to something else

I'm Aogaeru, the Gate Spirit. In other words, froggy :)

If I get sanctioned, during any one phase I can select a player and make it so they can't be banished or sanctioned by plurality, it must be majority. It'll be announced at the start of phase if I use it. Only once per game.

FateShirou

Smash Apprentice
I'm Zeniba, Revenge spirit

Once during a phrase i can give a cookie to someone whos in limbo or sanctioned, and their votes will have an asterisk next to them, the player who i give the cookie to can accept or deny it

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Vote Count [B1-1]

LaserGuy | 2/5 | Swiss, Sabrar
Sabrar | 1/5 | LaserGuy
FateShirou | 1/5 | somitomi

Not Voting: FrozenFlame, bessie, Maven, Darkpit, FateShirou

sab, sab
las, sab
sab, unv
sab, las
mav, las - invalid
swiss, las
som, shi

With 9 players in Limbo, it takes 5 to banish.
The deadline for Banish 1 is Friday, the 21st at 11:59 pm MT.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
i have forum mafia experience, dont remember my record from my MAL days but post MAL i am
1-0 as scum
1-3 as town
I don't really understand those stats, but I take it you're no newbie.
##unvote
Nothing, but I don't think we're going to get much out of the information revealed either.
I'm Lin, Rejuvenation Spirit
If I'm sanctioned I can remove a demon from the sanctioned chat (so they can no longer talk or use any ability that needs access to the chat). It's one-shot.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
No value in keeping it hidden
Any particular reason you decided to answer a question directed at somitomi?

I'm Aogaeru, the Gate Spirit. In other words, froggy :)

If I get sanctioned, during any one phase I can select a player and make it so they can't be banished or sanctioned by plurality, it must be majority. It'll be announced at the start of phase if I use it. Only once per game.
You get a Town lean for being the first to claim unprompted.

I am Chichiyaku, the Greeting Spirit. While in limbo or sanctioned, I can extend the day phase by 24 hours at my discretion. Once per game.

Btw, this player is actually kind of handy if you're Town. If you get Sanctioned, you can effectively send a message back to the players in limbo telling us one of the reads of the sanction (ie. confTown) players. I think FateShirou's can be used in the same sort of manner, but I don't exactly understand the mechanics of his role well enough to be sure by the way it is phrased.

Once during a phrase i can give a cookie to someone whos in limbo or sanctioned, and their votes will have an asterisk next to them, the player who i give the cookie to can accept or deny it
Their votes have an asterix and that's it?

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Any particular reason you decided to answer a question directed at somitomi
It's an opinion I had expressed as well, so I figured I may as well give you my take on it.

I think FateShirou's can be used in the same sort of manner, but I don't exactly understand the mechanics of his role well enough to be sure by the way it is phrased.
From my understanding it seems so, if we all agree beforehand thathe'll give his cookie to the sanctioned players' townread, everyone should be able to see that with the asterisk by their vote. Guess he couldn't show scumread though since it needs to be accepted by the player, but I may be misunderstanding that

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Well I was gonna suggest massclaim also but since LaserGuy is being Waggoned for it I’ll keep quiet
I'm curious. If you didn't read the part of all powers being rubbish then why did you want to suggest a mass-claim?

FateShirou

Smash Apprentice
Their votes have an asterix and that's it?
thats it
i asked seven if im just a vanilla that hands out cookies and seven said yes

if we all agree beforehand thathe'll give his cookie to the sanctioned players' townread, everyone should be able to see that with the asterisk by their vote.
if thats how u want me to use them sure
i was planning on giving cookies to people who i want to stand out in the vote counts

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
if thats how u want me to use them sure
i was planning on giving cookies to people who i want to stand out in the vote counts
i just realized you could give more than one a game, i missed that. and not necessarily, i just think it should be stated at some point while you're still in limbo so there's no time wasted trying to decipher what the cookie might mean, yk?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well I was gonna suggest massclaim also but since LaserGuy is being Waggoned for it I’ll keep quiet
who the **** are you and what have you done with swiss, if this isn't evidence that swiss is demon possessed idk what is

## Swiss

liking the new guy's entrance, early town lean

somi feels off, scumlean

loving how we're rehashing the "lol are we all red herring PRs" discussion from completely vanilla mafia but with the added bonus of the mod already giving us the answer

Top Bottom