• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spies vs. Multiverse - Spy (MAD Magazine) Support Thread

FazDude

Smash Master

Who are the Spies?

The Black Spy and White Spy (henceforth collectively referred to as the Spies) are the main players in the Spy vs. Spy strips featured in MAD Magazine, being created by Antonio Prohías. Debuting in MAD's 60th issue in 1961 and parodying the political idealogies of the Cold War, these secret agents love nothing more than outwitting the other... Although the more appropiate term here would be "killing". With explosives, in most cases.

Despite usually being hellbent on destroying the other, the Spies have seen a bit of characterization beyond being crafty tricksters - White's been portrayed as a bookworm in some strips, while Black's known for having an affinity for music. In addition to this, some comics imply that neither of the Spies simply can't imagine life without trying to one-up the other. They've been fighting each other for over sixty years, but they don't seem intent on stopping any time soon, with their strip still running to this day.

Where have the Spies shown up?

Outside of their home strip, the Spies have popped up in numerous other mediums:
  • A short-lived Sunday strip featuring the Spies ran in 2002.
  • The child-friendly Mad Kids magazine featured "Spy vs. Spy Jr.", depicting the Spies as kids playing harmless pranks on each other.
  • Spy vs. Spy has a number of video games to its name:
    • A 1984 game released for home computers, the NES, and the Sega Master System. While focused on a two-player battle of wits in a 2D space, this game would recieve a singleplayer-focused adaptation for the Game Boy Color, as well as two rare sequels released for home computers. The original game also got a HD remake on iOS devices, but this has sadly been delisted.
    • A 2005 game released for Xbox and PS2 (the latter only in PAL regions). This game put the Spies in a 3D world, fighting to stop a general from unleashing his superweapon.
  • A Spy vs. Spy themed board game was released by Milton Bradley in 1986.
  • Animated shorts based around Spy vs. Spy were featured in the first five seasons of Mad TV, as well as Cartoon Network's MAD series in the early 2010's (which is how I was introduced to the characters).
  • In 2004, the Spies were featured in advertisements for Mountain Dew, bringing them into live-action for the first time.

Why the Spies?

First and foremost, the Spies do have ties to Warner Bros.; MAD is owned by DC Comics, making the Spies first-party reps by proxy! This is part of the reason why I think they'd make great additions - It'd be cool to have a DC rep who isn't from their superhero comics (not that I'm against more reps from said comics).

Secondly, while they're no Tom, Jerry, or Bugs Bunny, the Spies embrace cartoon violence, which would give them a lot of moveset potential and make them fit in the roster thematically (albeit with a more mean-spirited edge that other cartoon reps in MVS don't have).

Finally... I dunno. I just think they're neat.

How would they fight?

Naturally, the Spies would employ espionage and all sorts of traps and tricks, making them prime candidates for the Assassin class. Guns, explosives, and cartoon logic would be heavily used, with some set-ups here and there to help the Spies outwit their foes.

Now, regarding their color variations, the logical thing to do would be to make one of the Spies an alt while making the other the default, right? Well, I actually have my own idea - You technically control both Spies, but only one is on-screen at a time. When you use a special move, that special is actually the Spy you're not controlling doing something to off the current Spy, with opponents suffering any collateral damage. For example, their Neutral Special could have White Spy appear and place a bomb behind Black Spy, blowing him and nearby opponents up as White Spy takes Black's place. Regarding the results screen, their victory animation could be whatever Spy you were currently controlling doing something to put the other one down for good... Until the next match, anyway.

Finally, I'd like the Spies to remain silent for the most part, reflecting the speechless nature of their original comics. For their taunt, though, I would make one exception.

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
A DC character that isn’t from the DC canon? I honestly didn’t even know that. Hmm… I wonder if there are any other viable candidates from that sort of category, like maybe someone from those elseworlds or whatever they called them.

But yeah… these guys actually sound pretty fun. It would be pretty cool to get another pair of characters who’re really just trying to beat each other up.

FazDude

Smash Master
I wonder if there are any other viable candidates from that sort of category, like maybe someone from those elseworlds or whatever they called them.
I don't wanna derive from the main topic too much, but I got curious and did some research - There's the characters from the Wildcats universe, which were acquired by DC in '98. They're set to gain a new line of comics this November, so they could make it in? WB will probably prioritize more characters from the DC Universe, but the Wildcats could make it in.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Finished a moveset for one of the spies. I also included links to references I used for the moves.
Class
Assassin

Ground Normals
Neutral: Gunshots - Black Spy fires a bullet PROJECTILE from a gun. He can fire three before he runs out of AMMO. If he holds back while firing his last bullet, he'll fire it backwards, with the shot being stronger. If a bullet hits a trampoline, it'll bounce straight up.
Side: Knife Swings - Black Spy does a fast three hit combo with a knife.
Up: Knife Stab - Black Spy CHARGES a stab with a knife.
Down: Spy Flag - Black Spy CHARGES an axe swing, with the axe resembling a white flag.

Air Normals
Neutral: Gunshots - Same as ground.
Side: Spy Metal Chest - Black Spy puffs out his chest, which has a metal vest underneath it. He has ARMOR as he puffs his chest out. This can also be CHARGED.
Up: Spy File - Black Spy holds up a nail file, and scratches with it twice.
Down: Spy Barbell - Black Spy holds out a large barbell. The barbell then splits in half, with the two halves swinging inward. The attack is strongest when the halves collide.

Specials
Neutral: Spy Torpedo - Black Spy throws out a torpedo PROJECTILE. If this move is used while a torpedo is out, the torpedo splits in half, with one half moving up and one half moving down. The halves will be connected with a chain, and they'll each explode individually, but with half the strength of the full torpedo. If the full torpedo is thrown into a trampoline, it'll bounce straight up. Black Spy can throw two torpedoes before running out of AMMO.

Side (Ground): Spy Ski - Black Spy rides on a jet ski, with a gun in the front. The gun shoots out a barrage of short-ranged bullet PROJECTILES during the ride.
Side (Air): Spy Bomb - Black Spy drops a bomb PROJECTILE, that explodes after a set time or when it hits an opponent or platform. If the bomb hits a trampoline, it'll bounce straight up. Black Spy can throw two bombs before running out of AMMO.

Up (Ground): Spy Trampoline - Black Spy bounces up on a trampoline, which stays on the stage for a while. Allies and enemies can bounce on the trampoline. If this move is used again, the trampoline will invert itself to reveal spikes, that can damage an enemy once before disappearing. The move will go into COOLDOWN after the trampoline disappears or inverts itself.
Up (Air): Spy Plane - Black Spy gets into his plane and zooms up, knocking enemies away.

Down: Spy Club - Black Spy sets up a contraption in the air, then goes into COOLDOWN. The contraption has a club in the back and a fake arm in the front. If the arm is hit by an enemy, it swings down and backwards, while the club swings up and forwards as an attack that meteor smashes.

Animations
Taunt 1 - https://tenor.com/view/spy-vs-spy-gif-15997245444591918469
Taunt 2 - https://tenor.com/view/spy-vs-spy-gif-14385754247467487128
Win - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...9df18f8b4357d35a03d38a0c8fc4512cabd6f76af305&
Loss - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5f6d739344a6e19565339056501fa1d651867cb51345&

Top Bottom