• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Speed Game

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is much slower then Melee, we all know. Regardless, their is still potential for the speed game of Brawl to continue to develop further and increase. Now, my question to you, the reader, what are your views on the progression and advancement in the speed game and what would you like to share. It can be ways to improve the speed aspect or ways that it is not needed, anything related to the speed gameplay-wise of Brawl. I am trying to advance the speed of my game further, but this topic is more wide so I figured this is how I'd broach it. Thank you.

Ørion

Smash Ace
As people get better and more used to the game, there is some improvement on the speed of the game as people get better at reactions. ATs also help, but the game will never be as fast as melee.

Eten

Smash Ace
Use autocancel timings for aerials
Simply learn the earliest time you can input the next command after the last move so there is not even 1 frame of delay, which includes knowing the IASA frames of moves
Know fast fall timings from the peak of your jumps
Favor moves that don't have punishable starting or ending lag
techniques for things like hugging to hog the ledge quickly, shield dash grabbing, and quick dash attack
advanced techniques for characters, like how to avoid different frames of lag on link's projectiles, or snake dashing

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I've heard that changing your avatar to a rubber ducky makes Brawl play like Melee. :)

Seriously though, Eten pretty much summed up what I would have said if he hadn't of said it already.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
ATs also help, but the game will never be as fast as melee.
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where I referenced an opinion which this comment derives and responds to. Enlighten me Sir Tzu <3

Thanks Eten, that was a nice post and well said.

JasonLovesKelsey

Smash Rookie
3 words: Play as Sonic.

It doesn't get any faster than that.

But in all seriousness:

Use autocancel timings for aerials
Simply learn the earliest time you can input the next command after the last move so there is not even 1 frame of delay, which includes knowing the IASA frames of moves
Know fast fall timings from the peak of your jumps
Favor moves that don't have punishable starting or ending lag
techniques for things like hugging to hog the ledge quickly, shield dash grabbing, and quick dash attack
advanced techniques for characters, like how to avoid different frames of lag on link's projectiles, or snake dashing
Just do what Eten said, it's the best advice I've seen.

Browny

Smash Hater
brawl is only slow if you play as snake/dedede. which is no surprise so many people think its slow when such a large% of players main 2 of the slowest guys in the game, and then complain about its speed >_>

if you wanna play fast, pick someone who doesnt camp. theres not really too many ways to increase speed in brawl, but playing a campy character pretty much leaves no chance to speed things up

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
wanna play speed? go to japan.
want to learn to camp, spotdodge,rolling,shieldgrabbing game? stay on smashboards.
we could be playing agressive but it was shown that doing so would actually make the game fun instead of a campfest. oh well westerners will abuse anything that might get them a few extra bucks... for beer i suppose

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
wanna play speed? go to japan.
want to learn to camp, spotdodge,rolling,shieldgrabbing game? stay on smashboards.
we could be playing agressive but it was shown that doing so would actually make the game fun instead of a campfest. oh well westerners will abuse anything that might get them a few extra bucks... for beer i suppose
I play for fun AND for money, never for beer. Silly assumptions of yours. :)

While being defensive is usually considered the "best" style, characters like Wario have done well by actually being aggressive. Speed /=/ a better game sometimes.

Bud

Smash Journeyman
Ive been playing fast brawl for a month or two, and I think its way better. Try it out at see what you think. I like it much more than regular brawl, though your opinion may differ. However, It saved my opinion about brawl and I find it to be the best part about brawl. Try it out.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Please stop talking. You don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Playing a game competitively is about doing everything that you can to win. It just so happens that the strategies on the smashboards is full of win. I don't know about the japanese scene, but I think it's really dumb how people tote it around as superior when there is no way to verify that. ESPECIALLY considering that the US scene for Melee was superior to the Japanese scene in terms of skill.

I really hate this mindset... It's really lame. Besides... have you even seen the recent Azen vs M2K matches? They were far more impressive than that Fox/Falco match on FD.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Mookie wins the thread.

Also, buffering, fastfalling, IASA frames, faster reaction times, and a better understanding of the game will all lead you to play faster.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
Please stop talking. You don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Playing a game competitively is about doing everything that you can to win. It just so happens that the strategies on the smashboards is full of win. I don't know about the japanese scene, but I think it's really dumb how people tote it around as superior when there is no way to verify that. ESPECIALLY considering that the US scene for Melee was superior to the Japanese scene in terms of skill.

I really hate this mindset... It's really lame. Besides... have you even seen the recent Azen vs M2K matches? They were far more impressive than that Fox/Falco match on FD.
i was joking. and i think you are too if your talking about the same azen v m2k match that i saw. the one with added music hah. and its not all from the video. have you read the japanese chara ranking? its really different because they simply dont play the same way we do. and who says its superior? im just saying its a helluva more fun to watch. playing defensively vs a agressor generally works out for the defensive one in brawl. but when two people go at it agresively oh thats where its fun to watch. two defensive players..yeah you get the idea.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
Mookie wins the thread, but that's not going to stop me from making my own reply.

"Speed games" will thrive when someone demonstrates that "speed games" are superior to defensive play. Nobody has yet demonstrated that, so people who intend to win will continue to use the superior strategy.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
and i think you are too if your talking about the same azen v m2k match that i saw. the one with added music hah. and its not all from the video.
You do know there were like 6 vids right? They ran into each other in the brackets and in the finals. All of the matches were ridiculously good, and if you actually WATCHED them you would have seen a few Lucario VS Meta matches in which they were, OH NOES!, both being pretty aggressive!

Also, your lame attempt at back pedaling fails.
have you read the japanese chara ranking?
Yeah, I've seen it, and honestly from my experience I agree with the top 5, but that experience is based on the "western" playstyle as well. That said, I don't advocate their lists, cause I think it's a bit too early to have a consistent tier list.

BTW, ROB is in their top 5. The japanese players camp too, I guarantee it.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
brawl is only slow if you play as snake/dedede. which is no surprise so many people think its slow when such a large% of players main 2 of the slowest guys in the game, and then complain about its speed >_>

if you wanna play fast, pick someone who doesnt camp. theres not really too many ways to increase speed in brawl, but playing a campy character pretty much leaves no chance to speed things up
You should kill yourself. Believe it or not, there is a huge amount of MK, Falco, Wolf, Kirby, etc. ****ing etc. players that all agree Brawl is pretty freakin' slow.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
hmm...maybe large tournaments should start also having lightning brawl tournaments as well as singles and doubles?
It would be interesting to see if it improved gameplay

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I don't really understand why people assume Zentore VS Nyosuke is representative of all of Japan's pros... Those were friendlies not tournament matches, not to mention Zentore and Nyosuke aren't highly ranked in Brawl. If you want to know what actual Japanese play is, watch tournament videos, like Ketubato. It's just as much of a "campfest" as US play is.

On-topic: Buffering, utilizing IASA frames are some things you can do to increase speed. Empty shorthops can also give the illusion of speed. Speed comes with understanding that the most basic techniques are key, even the most obvious techniques like fastfalling your aerials. Also, understand that you don't need to be aggressive to play fast. Watch Lucien's Fox. It's really fast, but not overly aggressive, not blindly running into setups and getting punished for it.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
hmm...maybe large tournaments should start also having lightning brawl tournaments as well as singles and doubles?
It would be interesting to see if it improved gameplay
Lightning brawl doesn't actually change the game; it just makes the same games happen faster. That doesn't do anything useful.

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
Mookie's on a roll. First the infinites thread, now this one.

IASA frames, buffering (like SHAD I guess), short hops are a big duh, and auto-cancels all help. But what I really want to see is what ISJ might do to speed things up, if it will.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

Will you post said matches?

Also, while it may not directly increase speed, learning to space properly decreases punishment for slowness.. So essentially...

ETA: Duh, youtube..

Nvm mookie, but notice one of the more technical players from melee is playing a character that requires great spacing ;]

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Nvm mookie, but notice one of the more technical players from melee is playing a character that requires great spacing ;]
Of course. I mean think about it, this is the guy that practically provided the community with all of the frame data for Melee. Now that he can't get frame data for brawl and there isn't much tech skill he's going to fall back on something else to study. M2K is a beast. Azen is too. They are both ******** good.

Browny

Smash Hater
You should kill yourself. Believe it or not, there is a huge amount of MK, Falco, Wolf, Kirby, etc. ****ing etc. players that all agree Brawl is pretty freakin' slow.
real nice...
and your point? falco, wolf and kirby are all slow characters. shocking run speed and below average horizontal air speed. dont forget falco and wolfs game relies heavily on camping.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
fastfalling and foxtrotting will speed up your game. also short hopping fast falling with an airdodge is even faster.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Want to play for PURE SPEED?

1. Use fast attacks, and only fast attacks. Damage? Knockback? Priority? Three attributes that just don't matter anymore.

2. Fastfall. Always. Even if you won't recover.

3. Stay close to your opponent. If you're out of each others' ranges, you're doing it wrong.

4. Button Mash and C-Stick Jiggle - the only AT's you should ever use.

5. Fast Brawl - the ONLY way to play.

With all of these techniques, you too can play at lightning speed! You can thank me later.
/sarcasm

Knowing IASA frames and move durations helps my speed through move choice. However, I mostly play Brawl through the buffer. It's not often that a command is input later than 1/12 of a second before it needs to happen. It's ********, but it's not hard at all.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Want to play for PURE SPEED?
Knowing IASA frames and move durations helps my speed through move choice. However, I mostly play Brawl through the buffer. It's not often that a command is input later than 1/12 of a second before it needs to happen. It's ********, but it's not hard at all.
Quite useable in brawl.
Sorely missed from Melee.

I say if Brawl's current speed isn't enough for you, play Melee. Not much else to it.

Top Bottom