• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spear Pillar[WTF?]

dontaxp

Smash Rookie
So I was enjoying a game of Brawl with a CPU because WiFi was crapping out.

I random'd Spear Pillar and was just casually screwing around.

At about 1 stock each and me about to win, the **** stage flips over and I panic.

Needless to say I used my UpB thinking my character was on the ground trying to recover and suicided.

There needs to be a **** warning.

And that Laser is annoying also.

csir

Smash Apprentice
Lmao the first time that happened to us was soo funny cause we all were like wtf and we all killed ourselves

Micahc

Smash Ace
But... the stage is just so much fun when you're randomly upside down with now rhyme or reason!

And people wonder why tourney goers ban stages.

dontaxp

Smash Rookie
I've heard about the flip, but I wasn't expecting it.

I was just expecting the stupid blue...dog beast thing to come out and shock me, or that laser to pop by.

BUT NOOOO THE STAGE FLIPS and I SD and lose.

Seriously.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I find that effect of Palkia really fun, everytime it happens i just stop doing what i do and take my time to think the controls :p, but the funny part is when everyone else loses control and suicides :p

I think its good without a warning, but thats just me. and the Beams both pokes can fire are easily predictable and dodgeable, maybe i've played that stage too much :s

dontaxp

Smash Rookie
No, for the beam I meant like when I screw around and use Ike and I'm in the middle dodgeing my friend spamming landmaster, the laser comes at the worst time. and I can't recover because Aether gets me trapped.

Geist

Smash Master
I really really hate those stupid gravity and distortion effects. I have a feeling this stage is going to be banned extremely fast...
But I love the layout. I swear, the first thing I did was create a similar layout in stage creator, and it's one of my favourites to play on.

Personally, I love the Spear Pillar in that so many things can happen. If you don't want to SD (and you probably don't) when the stage goes upside-down, use the Wiimote with the Nunchuck. When the stage flips, turn the Nunchuck upside-down until the stage flips back. It makes things alot easier.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Spear Pillar is possibly my LEAST favorite stage, mostly due to the fact the stage would flip either upside down or mirrored (mirrored is way worse, left is right and right is left is like wtf). In fact, this stage caused me to accidentally self destruct when I play All-Star Mode because of the mirror flipping :mad::mad: . I didn't go off blaming Nintendo because they did that on purpose for an extra challenge.

Listerine

Smash Apprentice
Spear Pillar isn't all that bad. Get used to it. Eventually, you'll find a player that has no idea how to control when space is manipulated, and you'll be able to kill them easy.

Heck, I even like it when it flips or mirrors.

I just hate it in slow motion.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
See so many people here say they hate slow mo but I like that, or atleast don't mind it. I hate the upside down and flip because it screws with the controls. I hate it but I love the layout. So i go to play there cuzz I don't mind Dalgia but I always get Palkia. Or cressellia when I am a character who doesn't move well XD And then get killed by the crescent blades. Annoying.

Flake

Smash Cadet
i've died more than once due to the flipping...the other effects i can deal with though

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've heard about the flip, but I wasn't expecting it.

I was just expecting the stupid blue...dog beast thing to come out and shock me, or that laser to pop by.

BUT NOOOO THE STAGE FLIPS and I SD and lose.

Seriously.
Blue dog beast = Dialga, just in case you wanted to know.

Also, wait--you mean Palkia (AKA the big pinkish one) right? Dialga just tilts the stage, Palkia flips it vertically/horizontally.

sxiz

Smash Cadet
I'm usually lying on my bed when I play, so I just roll over and play upside down.

<3 Spear Pillar.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Say, speaking of Palkia and Dialga at Spear Pillar, is there a way to definite way to choose which one you want to appear (like on the Mushroomy Kingdom you press x or y and you get the 1-1 level guarenteed)?

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Say, speaking of Palkia and Dialga at Spear Pillar, is there a way to definite way to choose which one you want to appear (like on the Mushroomy Kingdom you press x or y and you get the 1-1 level guarenteed)?
I'd like to know this too. I love it when Dialga comes out to play (Roar of Time is fun to work in), but Palkia's effects all suck, particularly in Classic mode when I'm fighting computers that know how to fight with reversed controls.

I think my least favorite pokemon to fight with is Cresselia, because those Air Slashes can kill in one hit at many percents, and you have to dodge a lot of them. I also get excited at the blue tint of Dialga, only to have a stupid space duck pop out of the smoke. Very disappointing.

TengenToppaDrill

Smash Apprentice
Your mom's house... Calgary Alberta, Canada, Earth
Spear pillar is really a fun stage, but the two levels are the worst part and heres why. Say you're fighting a three minute match against someone who is near almost 200% and about the same speed as you, with approximately 1 minute or something left, they could just keep running and wait for the sudden death. Other than the off chance of being hurt by Dialga,Palkia,or Cresselia this will most likely always work. Still this stage is awesome.:)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm usually lying on my bed when I play, so I just roll over and play upside down.

<3 Spear Pillar.
Do you have a mirror for when Palkia flips it horizontally? :laugh:
That's actually a good strategy, I should try that.

I'd like to know this too. I love it when Dialga comes out to play (Roar of Time is fun to work in), but Palkia's effects all suck, particularly in Classic mode when I'm fighting computers that know how to fight with reversed controls.

I think my least favorite pokemon to fight with is Cresselia, because those Air Slashes can kill in one hit at many percents, and you have to dodge a lot of them. I also get excited at the blue tint of Dialga, only to have a stupid space duck pop out of the smoke. Very disappointing.
Yeah, agreed...I hate Cresselia. I mean, the lasers can interrupt battles, and Palkia's stage flipping can really mess you up, but after the first time you screw up with those, you know what to do and never screw up again, except on rare occasions. Cresselia, on the other hand, has deadly attacks--if you get hit, there's little preventing it. Especially when the blade is twirling above her, if you get hit, there's a good chance you'll die. It's nearly impossible to see coming and it's in the center of the stage, so it's not difficult at all to end up at that point just at the right time. It's happened to me more than once.

But yeah, I love Spear Pillar anyways. If there's a way to guarantee you get Dialga, I'll have to figure it out.
For some of those stages, they should've let you switch it in the Random Stage selection. You can turn Dialga/Palkia/Cresselia on/off, 1-1 or 1-2 off, and so on. I realize that you can select 1-1/1-2 on your own, but there's really no reason to have to hold a button every time if you are NEVER going to play on the other stage.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
It's not too bad. You just need to remember that left is right and right is left, anytime it flips upside down or sideways. You should be able to get used to it if you play on it a few times.

If all else fails, just stand still.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
The first time the stage flipped for me, I wasn't at all prepared for the mirrored controlscheme. I still tried to attack my opponent with fair but always did bair and killed myself in the end.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's not too bad. You just need to remember that left is right and right is left, anytime it flips upside down or sideways. You should be able to get used to it if you play on it a few times.

If all else fails, just stand still.
The only problem with standing still is that versus CPUs or those that can handle Spear Pillar very well, they'll knock you around and force you to try to recover, which is even less safe than moving around in the first place.
I actually found an effective way to survive while the stage is flipped; just constantly roll. You have very brief periods of vulnerability, and even when you are vulnerable, the stage is flipped so that it's going to be tough for someone to interrupt it anyways. Plus, if you roll the wrong way, you stop straight at the edge.
That's just a good strategy I've found, it may not be as effective for you. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I hate spear pillar- worst stage in the game

Its that flip that really makes me annoyed. I can't play when its upside down.

Oh and the laser that sometimes beams through the lower half.

I don't mind the slow mo though- Pretty cool actually.

Sonic Zero X

Smash Apprentice
Man spear pillar is funny when it flips and when reverse controls go on (any one want to challenge me Pm me
prepare to get owned noob!)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I believe many of you are being pansies for thinking mirrored controls and stage flipping is that difficult. This stage isn't going to be allowed in tournies because of the circular route, the beams, and the abundance of randomness, but hearing how people kill themselves because they can't realize when their controls are backwards make me lol.

The only thing I don't like about Spear Pillar is the slow motion. God, it's not like Brawl is slow enough already.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Spear Pillar is possibly my LEAST favorite stage, mostly due to the fact the stage would flip either upside down or mirrored (mirrored is way worse, left is right and right is left is like wtf). In fact, this stage caused me to accidentally self destruct when I play All-Star Mode because of the mirror flipping :mad::mad: . I didn't go off blaming Nintendo because they did that on purpose for an extra challenge.
I know. This stage ruined my All-Star Intense no miss run because of Cresilla. I find it very unfair that Cresilla's attacks can bypass the Franklin Badge AND shields.

I hate spear pillar- worst stage in the game

Its that flip that really makes me annoyed. I can't play when its upside down.

Oh and the laser that sometimes beams through the lower half.

I don't mind the slow mo though- Pretty cool actually.
The stage flipping doesn't give me that much trouble. The beams get annoying if you can't escape or trip. If you are on the bottom of the stage, and a beam is heading your way, you are, in mosst cases, going to get hit. The sudden gravity changes ruin my tactics can get very annoying aginast those who can adapt to the gravity changes. Also, the Roar of Time is annoying online because the clock is ticking normally and you are at less than half speed.

And the award for "Gayest Stage Ever" goes to....... Spear Pillar!

*applause and cheeriing*

orintemple

Smash Lord
I don't mind Dialga, slow time is not that bad. But Palkia and Cresselia can suck my nuts. I am NOT ok with reverse controls and OHKO wind slices.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
While trying to unlock Lucario
and my first time on the stage
Cresselia appeared and destroyed us both with that Psycho Cut attack, fortunately, Lucario had more damage on him so he got KO'd first XD

Top Bottom