• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sparring Partners?

Spirst

@ Locke 06 Locke 06 Alright, man, I'm getting pretty tired now. It's 6 AM here and I've been up since early morning yesterday. Those were really intense games though. I've had no real Megaman experience so I had to adapt as I went along. It was extremely tedious getting through but I think I learned a lot. Not sure how I feel about the matchup. Greninja can mess Megaman up when he actually gets in but getting in is the issue. At any rate, real solid Megaman you have there.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
@ Locke 06 Locke 06 Alright, man, I'm getting pretty tired now. It's 6 AM here and I've been up since early morning yesterday. Those were really intense games though. I've had no real Megaman experience so I had to adapt as I went along. It was extremely tedious getting through but I think I learned a lot. Not sure how I feel about the matchup. Greninja can mess Megaman up when he actually gets in but getting in is the issue. At any rate, real solid Megaman you have there.
Thanks for some real great matches. Go get some sleep. I was debating on that playing that last one too. Definitely the most technical and quickest player I've faced yet (love the roll boost grabs. I think that's what you were doing... But dat grab game was superb). Also, first tournament level player I've faced. (Unknown if you actually are tournament level... But I feel like you would do well)

You're also the first practically unpunishable greninja that I've faced. A lot of safe options without a lot of openings. On some levels, I feel almost annoyed at myself at how tedious the pellet game gets too. The matchup is rough, because, at least the way I have been playing MegaMan, I rely on reads, punishes, and edge guards. Greninja isn't the easiest to do any of those 3. Also, Mega is quite difficult to edge guard himself, so he ends up living at quite high percentages (props on the stage spike). I definitely learned a lot. Thanks for the experience.

Last edited:

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
Sorry about how some of those matches went, but you were still fun to fight.

I could at least offer some insight if those matches went more smoothly, but in the ones that did, you definitely need to practice more with hitting Sing/Rest. I punished you too many times for that.
Also, you're really good at Mario, too. I wonder if you knew that dtilt can go into his up special like that.

Also his nair is really good with his jab.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
Eh, playing online I can tell it won't do much for a local scene or tournament. I can't get used to the input delay and characters who usually have a long start up or armor have the advantage in the slight lag. From playing Michael just now I can tell that'll be the case with character like Link, Ganon, Little Mac, Bowser, and etc. Not saying he wasn't a good player, but I know things would be different if run on a local like connection (though, he did get me quiet a few times with legit tactics). Nothing can be done about it though, so no point in complaining.

It's really similar to how characters in other fighting games who have long start ups get the edge in lag (T.Hawk, Zangief, Haggar, etc). That's why you've been seeing so many Little Mac's online. I honestly don't see any sort of meta developing until the Wii U version comes out. The 3DS version is a fun handheld Smash, but that's all I'm treating it as. I don't feel like I'm learning anything from most of the games I've played. It's honestly become a matter of waiting for either player to have a delayed input while the other lands a random side smash.

Again, not questioning anyone's ability to any character, but I wouldn't take too much from the online in terms of a competitive scene. I'll just be dipping into various characters from now on and take the Wii U version seriously when it lands. Plus no C-stick is annoying, but what can you do?

Last edited:

Windmaster012

Smash Journeyman
NNID
masterefra012
3DS FC
0473-8259-2427
Sorry about how some of those matches went, but you were still fun to fight.

I could at least offer some insight if those matches went more smoothly, but in the ones that did, you definitely need to practice more with hitting Sing/Rest. I punished you too many times for that.
Also, you're really good at Mario, too. I wonder if you knew that dtilt can go into his up special like that.

Also his nair is really good with his jab.
Lolol, my Jiggly sucks i know, but she's fun to use and i always miss my rest. I dont use her as much either but i had a blast xD really funny matches. Also was that a JoJo reference? Lmao

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
Lolol, my Jiggly sucks i know, but she's fun to use and i always miss my rest. I dont use her as much either but i had a blast xD really funny matches. Also was that a JoJo reference? Lmao
Oh, yeah. If you remember, when Dio fights Jonathan in the falling mansion, he says "GOODBYE, JOJO" in a really dumb voice when he sends him falling down the inferno and stays up, himself. I found it funny....

Oh, and what do you think of how I played...? If our conditions still let you make any judgment, who do you think I did best with, too?

Windmaster012

Smash Journeyman
NNID
masterefra012
3DS FC
0473-8259-2427
Oh, yeah. If you remember, when Dio fights Jonathan in the falling mansion, he says "GOODBYE, JOJO" in a really dumb voice when he sends him falling down the inferno and stays up, himself. I found it funny....

Oh, and what do you think of how I played...? If our conditions still let you make any judgment, who do you think I did best with, too?
Lmao, that part was indeed funny, right now im waiting till Stardust Crusaders ends so i can start watching it.

The lag was a problem but def. Ganondorf and Charizard, gave my Jiggly a lot of trouble and your Ganon was fun to fight with. Also you have a good Mario.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Anyone up for some matches?
I'm game. I'm a little worried, because I've been having trouble with the Mac matchup... but the only way to get better is to play some more, right?
FC:
<---

Edit: Also, if anyone else is interested, we can have 3 or 4 people in the room and spectators of the 1v1s. I don't mind if you don't mind.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I'm game. I'm a little worried, because I've been having trouble with the Mac matchup... but the only way to get better is to play some more, right?
FC:
<---
Alrighty, i'll add you. Yeah, you're definitely right though. I'll get you into shape in regards to your Mac match up troubles lol.

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
FC:
<---

Edit: Also, if anyone else is interested, we can have 3 or 4 people in the room and spectators of the 1v1s. I don't mind if you don't mind.
I would love to watch you play. I need the host's friend code, though.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Yeah, I was having a little bit of an issue with that too. It's odd though, because I've never suffered input lag before where I am.
Same for me, I've been playing all day just fine. We're probably far away from each other.

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
Hold on, I'll add you
About that KO Uppercut you missed early in the fight, when you have one ready, do one small jab then, instead of continuing the jab combo, use the uppercut. See if that works (it did for me when I tried Little Mac out).

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
About that KO Uppercut you missed early in the fight, when you have one ready, do one small jab then, instead of continuing the jab combo, use the uppercut. See if that works (it did for me when I tried Little Mac out).
D-tilt works a little better than regular jab

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
I thought I was going to spectate again so I just took anyone. Sorry about that.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Yeah, that lag is kind of annoying... Iunno... first time I've had serious problems were I am (not pointing fingers at all, just an observation).

Anyway, I don't know if you realize my difficulty with Mac. The 1-2 punch sort of eliminates the pellet game somewhat and it's pretty easy to weave in and out when Mega Man is not throwing out pellets. Also, getting off that ledge is an issue for me. However, when you're off stage it's a completely different story. Most of Mega Man's kills normally are off the top or edge guards. Killing Mac off the top/from the middle of the stage just seems to be a daunting task. Maybe that's just the matchup. Maybe it's maybelline.

Spirst

Thanks for some real great matches. Go get some sleep. I was debating on that playing that last one too. Definitely the most technical and quickest player I've faced yet (love the roll boost grabs. I think that's what you were doing... But dat grab game was superb). Also, first tournament level player I've faced. (Unknown if you actually are tournament level... But I feel like you would do well)

You're also the first practically unpunishable greninja that I've faced. A lot of safe options without a lot of openings. On some levels, I feel almost annoyed at myself at how tedious the pellet game gets too. The matchup is rough, because, at least the way I have been playing MegaMan, I rely on reads, punishes, and edge guards. Greninja isn't the easiest to do any of those 3. Also, Mega is quite difficult to edge guard himself, so he ends up living at quite high percentages (props on the stage spike). I definitely learned a lot. Thanks for the experience.
I appreciate it. Yeah, I was trying to see the usefulness of roll boost grabs as well as pivoting it. From what I've seen so far, it isn't a very discernable difference as opposed to Greninja's standard dash grab. Greninja's grab game can be tricky. It's like a semi-tether, and isn't the quickest or most powerful, but it leads to a lot of follow-ups. It also helps that Greninja's maneuverability can quickly chain it in. I find that it's very useful after throwing a shuriken and following it because the opponent is usually too busy shielding.

I try not to leave many openings seeing as how Greninja, while quick, doesn't fare well in predictive play (like every character but I feel Greninja especially suffers from it seeing as how his range is already average and his KO power is eh). The matchup definitely felt rough, that's for sure. The pellet game neutralizes some of my approaches and makes me have to power shield almost everything as opposed to my usual fake outs and short hops. Megamans utilt is pretty scary, dude.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
D-tilt works a little better than regular jab
I think it depends on %. d-tilt might pop them up too far. Another thing is using short hop aerials. I know you don't want to be in the air, but the reward is that they combo incredibly well into your ground moves. NAir --> KO is a good hit-confirm way to connect.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I appreciate it. Yeah, I was trying to see the usefulness of roll boost grabs as well as pivoting it. From what I've seen so far, it isn't a very discernable difference as opposed to Greninja's standard dash grab. Greninja's grab game can be tricky. It's like a semi-tether, and isn't the quickest or most powerful, but it leads to a lot of follow-ups. It also helps that Greninja's maneuverability can quickly chain it in. I find that it's very useful after throwing a shuriken and following it because the opponent is usually too busy shielding.

I try not to leave many openings seeing as how Greninja, while quick, doesn't fare well in predictive play (like every character but I feel Greninja especially suffers from it seeing as how his range is already average and his KO power is eh). The matchup definitely felt rough, that's for sure. The pellet game neutralizes some of my approaches and makes me have to power shield almost everything as opposed to my usual fake outs and short hops. Megamans utilt is pretty scary, dude.
MegaMan's utilt is my favorite move in the game. It comes out so fast and the lag isn't as punishable as Jigglypuff's rest or Luigi's uppercut (or is it as hard to hit with). It usually results in a dash grab or dash attack punish (which really isn't all that punishing).

Top Bottom