• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sparring Partners?

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Aha thanks man. Yeah I figured out early on that you didn't know how to handle it so well, and I used it to my advandtage lol. If you're ever up to try again, lemme know.
There isn't really a way to Handle it, It's either get hit or don't.lol I have to dance until I hit you or until you whiff. It's a really strong tool but I'll figure it out. Lol

However im always down to play man, just let me know!

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
There isn't really a way to Handle it, It's either get hit or don't.lol I have to dance until I hit you or until you whiff. It's a really strong tool but I'll figure it out. Lol

However im always down to play man, just let me know!
There's plenty of ways. You could try to dance away, wait 6 seconds and then hit me, or fire projectiles until I get hit. The last option is arguably the best choice, but not every character has that luxury.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Usually I try to bait that. Make him think he has me and then suddenly I'm not there.

Tends to work better on randoms than on Ducky though. I bait him a few times but he lands it more often than not.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
There's plenty of ways. You could try to dance away, wait 6 seconds and then hit me, or fire projectiles until I get hit. The last option is arguably the best choice, but not every character has that luxury.
I was testing offensive options. Youre right I didn't know how to deal with it but I wasn't trying to avoid it. I know that running away works but it doesn't really solve e problem because even if I dance away all you need to do is read a dodge roll and neutral b then I'm gone. I was trying to see if I could engage you as Marth and take away the option. Running away is the only choice I guess.lol

I was testing my options and Im happy I got to play a good Mac who showed me which were valid and which were. I truly enjoyed our games man and I collected a lot of needed data.

Also I wish I had a damn fireball!

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Usually I try to bait that. Make him think he has me and then suddenly I'm not there.

Tends to work better on randoms than on Ducky though. I bait him a few times but he lands it more often than not.
You make it so difficult because rosalina disappears in her rolls and air dodges. Normally rolling around me with a KO punch is a bad idea, but if I can't see which direction you're going in it gets so much harder.

I was testing offensive options. Youre right I didn't know how to deal with it but I wasn't trying to avoid it. I know that running away works but it doesn't really solve e problem because even if I dance away all you need to do is read a dodge roll and neutral b then I'm gone. I was trying to see if I could engage you as Marth and take away the option. Running away is the only choice I guess.lol

I was testing my options and Im happy I got to play a good Mac who showed me which were valid and which were. I truly enjoyed our games man and I collected a lot of needed data.

Also I wish I had a damn fireball!
Aha glad I could help with your research bro lol

Last edited:

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
You make it so difficult because rosalina disappears in her rolls and air dodges. Normally rolling around me with a KO punch is a bad idea, but if I can't see which direction you're going in it gets so much harder.

Aha glad I could help with your research bro lol
Glad I could get your help. Testing things are what casuals are for right? What's the point of playing these games if we don't learn anything?

Anyone else down to practice some?

Last edited:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Baiting the KO punch and rolling has worked for me for many Macs but jeez it feels risky now, worked on Ducky but even with the KO punch whiffing the push forces made me slide from center of the stage to the edge. Even the replay makes my heart stop.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Glad I could get you help. Testing things are what casuals are for right? What's the point of playing these games if we don't learn anything?

Anyone else down to practice some?
Riiiiight. That's one of the reasons I made this thread. I have to admit though, a big part of this was just so I could show people what a real Mac plays like. It hurts for me to see people say "HURR DURR MAC IS TRASH BECAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE TO THROW HIM OFF THE LEDGE TO WIN".

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Riiiiight. That's one of the reasons I made this thread. I have to admit though, a big part of this was just so I could show people what a real Mac plays like. It hurts for me to see people say "HURR DURR MAC IS TRASH BECAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE TO THROW HIM OFF THE LEDGE TO WIN".
I've never heard anyone say Mac sucks. I play Mac also and all I hear people say is Mac is op.lol

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I've never heard anyone say Mac sucks. I play Mac also and all I hear people say is Mac is op.lol
A lot of people are under the impression that in order to beat Mac, all you have to do is:
A. Wait at the edge, shield grab, edge guard, repeat.
B. Counter
C. Don't pick FD

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I always thought that Little Mac had good potential, in the right hands. He's fast and hits hard, and while he can be forced off stage, well... you have to actually get some reads in order to do that.

One of my problems is that whenever I want to throw you you've ended up behind me somehow.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
I always thought that Little Mac had good potential, in the right hands. He's fast and hits hard, and while he can be forced off stage, well... you have to actually get some reads in order to do that.

One of my problems is that whenever I want to throw you you've ended up behind me somehow.
if you want to throw Mac just shield throw punish man. That's like the only way you are going. To grab him.lol

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
if you want to throw Mac just shield throw punish man. That's like the only way you are going. To grab him.lol
Like I said. I position for that and suddenly he's behind me. That said my throw game has never been that strong, so maybe I just need to get better at it.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Yeah, when I think I'm going to be shield grabbed, I just d-tilt. Mac's duck is so low that most characters will just miss. That, or I try to grab them, but Mac's grab range is terrible.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
I think a good chance at grabbing Mac is when his counter fails, just gotta get past the desire to throw out an attack since its easy to mistake a counter for breathing room which is how I ate a lot of the counters.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Lol maybe instead if grabbing down smash as rosalina it's really good for dodge rollers since rosalina and luma hit on both sides of themselves.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Lol maybe instead if grabbing down smash as rosalina it's really good for dodge rollers since Rosalina and Luma hit on both sides of themselves.
In order to keep that from happening, I make it a rule to take out Luma first. Unless I have the KO punch, then they're dying together lol. Same with grabbing. I'm not going to grab a Rosalina that has her trusty Luma beside her.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I'm not too good, but I'm looking to improve. I'm finding myself really struggling to get better. I know the only way I can is to play people better than me! Most of the time, in for glory when people beat me, they just quit. :( Would anybody like to add me and help me improve? I''d love constructive criticism. Tournaments and gatherings aren't options for me.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I'll play you if you want. I'll add you and be ready in about 15 mins.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Cool, little mac is somebody who gives me a lot of trouble! You'll probably completely wreck me.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
In order to keep that from happening, I make it a rule to take out Luma first. Unless I have the KO punch, then they're dying together lol. Same with grabbing. I'm not going to grab a Rosalina that has her trusty Luma beside her.
You can only do that if Luna is next too her she can bait you into approaching her and luma by shotting him out from her then moving away luma will approach her because he always wants to be on the side luma is looking at then she can use down smash. If you approach and her and luma will alternate which sides they cover when they down smash.

when I fight rosalina and luma i fight more of an opportunistic style. I kill whomever is avaliable to kill but I'm always aware of the other party's presence. The goal for me is to beat up rosalina then. While she is floating i beat up luma, buttttt if the opportunity comes to kill luma first I'll take it.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Lol maybe instead if grabbing down smash as rosalina it's really good for dodge rollers since rosalina and luma hit on both sides of themselves.
Well usually what works best for me is if I can launch the opponent and then start a juggle on them. Once they're in the air they're usually at my mercy. I can start that with any smash, sh-dair, dash attack or a full jab combo. After that it's just a matter of jumping after them and using uair, fair or bair.

I used to think that dair would be a good meteor smash but... Rosalina's dair really isn't a meteor smash at all. It launches off to the side at a low ~30 degree angle and if I get it wrong I've just launched them back onto the stage. The times I thought it worked as a meteor smash turned out to just be footstool jumping. It'd probably be great for gimping a character with a bad recovery but it's not reliable for that.

I think what causes him to end up behind me isn't rolling, though. Sometimes he just dashes through while I'm shielding, or he uses Jolt Haymaker and I shield, and when the Haymaker ends he's behind me. Both of these could also theoretically be punished with D-smash, but even when I get him in the air Ducky isn't easy to juggle. He knows exactly when to counter in order to avoid my uair, which basically tells me that I either need to mixup my juggles or come up with another strategy. I probably also need to FF more.

Overall he's reading me pretty well, which tells me that I need more variety in my strategies. Uair is always tempting but Rosalina does have other options.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Well usually what works best for me is if I can launch the opponent and then start a juggle on them. Once they're in the air they're usually at my mercy. I can start that with any smash, sh-dair, dash attack or a full jab combo. After that it's just a matter of jumping after them and using uair, fair or bair.

I used to think that dair would be a good meteor smash but... Rosalina's dair really isn't a meteor smash at all. It launches off to the side at a low ~30 degree angle and if I get it wrong I've just launched them back onto the stage. The times I thought it worked as a meteor smash turned out to just be footstool jumping. It'd probably be great for gimping a character with a bad recovery but it's not reliable for that.

I think what causes him to end up behind me isn't rolling, though. Sometimes he just dashes through while I'm shielding, or he uses Jolt Haymaker and I shield, and when the Haymaker ends he's behind me. Both of these could also theoretically be punished with D-smash, but even when I get him in the air Ducky isn't easy to juggle. He knows exactly when to counter in order to avoid my uair, which basically tells me that I either need to mixup my juggles or come up with another strategy. I probably also need to FF more.

Overall he's reading me pretty well, which tells me that I need more variety in my strategies. Uair is always tempting but Rosalina does have other options.
That or changing the times you release your smashes. If he is countering at a certain time you should keep that in mind and alter your timing. that you start and release your smashes.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I just lost to a peach in for glory, mind games wreck me.. er meant to put this in the other post

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I've only seen one good Peach in FG, but she was pretty good. That hover is amazing, especially once you consider how hard she hits with that crown of hers.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Wow little mac is really hard to punish. Those super armor smashes are ridiculous!

Top Bottom