• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

rhan

Smash Hero
yet when I wanna play either of these games, you are nowhere to be found... :glare:
Play tonight possibly? Though the reason is that I need more Toss practice then I do Zerg. Toss is a ****.. Zerg isn't as hard as them.

Pound 5 didn't have a turnout like Pound 4 for a few reasons.

[in no particular order]

1) Pound 4 was in 2010. There was no Genesis 2 waiting around the corner to steal away would-be attendees who were saving up for "this year's big tourney." IIRC, Apex2010 wasn't even announced until a little bit before Pound 4 so as not to conflict with interested parties.

2) Pound 4 was on MLK weekend...which is a national holiday that is observed by most establishments in the US. Presidents Day, on the other hand..... >_> As a result, people were considerably more available for Pound 4 than for Pound 5 [and not just for attending all 3 days, some people knowingly miss the 3rd day because they need it for travel, but at least they weren't missing a day of work/school for Pound 4]

3) Pound 5 was ****ing EXPENSIVE. Tourney/venue fees aside, the HOTEL was expensive. The need for people to not only reserve rooms at the Hyatt [for the sake of the tourney being a success] but to also NOT pack too many people into a room led to a few thing: People who weren't planning on bending the rules decided against spending $75-100 for a weekend of housing, which added considerably to the already-steep travel costs for so many. It also led to people, as it was mentioned, CANCELING. Now some people canceled because they simply couldn't attend, while others grouped together and canceled their individual rooms thinking "**** that, we'll just put 12 people in one room even though the limit is 4"

4) Because it bears repeating: Genesis 2.
Pretty much. Poor planning and unexpectancy resulted in terrible idea.

I have a military Id..
I have a DEP card.

I wanna meet you Xavier Rythos. I ship off to boot camp in June and I'm just talking to a bunch of people that are in the Navy about their experience and how their life has been since their initial join.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I have a military Id..
Well **** that makes things easier. loooooool.

I wanna meet you Xavier Rythos. I ship off to boot camp in June and I'm just talking to a bunch of people that are in the Navy about their experience and how their life has been since their initial join.
hit me up loool.

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Rhan about a dozen of my friends joined the Navy back just after 9/11. Interesting story about the time I went to the recruitment office too. I've also had a couple of different Navy housemates in VA, and work with Navy technicians sometimes in Portsmouth. Never knew you were serious about joining; I'll strike up a conversation with ya at some point.

Also there is a possible smashfest at CNU today. Awaiting confirmation from Shaden.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Pretty much meaning I'll be free only on weekends, unless people like hanging in the morning on weekdays loooooooooool.

it's only for about 3 weeks tho, then it goes back to normal for 4 weeks.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I'm not working on weekends.

ever.
sweet
Toasty wtf you live in VA?
haha yeah just moved back in September...back to where I was born n raised
I was under the impression he was perma-GA
**** didn't go so well down there =/
Look at his location...
hence the question...or else it would have been "what are you doing in a SoVa thread?" Stop being dumb, Max :)
But yeah, for as long as Laijin and I have been acquainted, it was through smashers in da souf =) Laijin is originally from there and when he "met" me through other southerners, I was already a GA staple...meanwhile, me moving back to VA wasn't exactly "news" on Smashboards XD

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Hey guys, Richmond is going to start having smashfests every friday starting the 25th. It'll be at VCU so we'll have plenty of space.

toasty

Smash Hero
Hey guys my cousin is having a moving sale...

TV and stand for $50 bucks. It's a 32" standard def Sony TV with no problems [and this dude's a hardcore gamer so he's quite particular about his setups]

He also has a similarly large standard def RCA TV that's $30, with no stand

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I need those for the vcu smash club. If I hold a tournament in the next month and use the venue fee to pay for it, can I buy those tvs?

toasty

Smash Hero
I doubt the TVs will still be available by then...Ether has already reserved the TV with the stand.

All that remains is a 32" RCA that someone in the SoVa Melee FB Group has shown interest in...but it's still available for $30

of course if it IS still available then, of course you can get it

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Yea, I'll let you guys know how the first official meeting goes. The first one was just seven people, but I posted it up the day before and it was the day when spring break started so everybody wasn't here lol. Still managed to get 8 people. 2 were ones I hadn't played before though so =/

There's apparently mini smashfests going on in the dorms all the time. I'm trying to unite all of richmond into one smash scene and then extending that to all of Va.

Top Bottom