• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
This time though I'll give you good Coke LOL. =p
LOL!!! honestly yo, I forget the importance of expiration dates...until I drink something that's expired XD!
Don't always combo for damage. Sometimes, it's better to combo to put your opponent in a bad place on/off the stage so you can hold your advantage longer.
yeeee comboing for position! I was just about to post this in the SoVa FB, good ****

rhan

Smash Hero
Shae and Theo should totally come scoop me from Gloucester...

Go to Doug's...

Tale me back to Gloucester...

and hang out with me there...

I'll pay for gas...

If I get paid...

@Toasty: Oh... I see....

Keep the yellow. <3

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
what time is dawn.
Also, I make delicious coffee treats for anyone who can't stay up long enough.
who wants
its like starbucks

The_Doug

Smash Ace
I think it's 6 pm to dawn.
Yeah as Ether said but 6pm is the very earliest. Any earlier than that please text me as I might not be home from work or will still be cleaning, moving TV's/furniture/setups around.

808 Grayson Street
Norfolk, VA 23523

-Call or text 757 639 1563 if any questions-Google/Mapquest will give broken directions
-Behind the Farm Fresh (Berkley) shopping center and Grayson is one block down.
-Big three story green house
-Park in the my driveway if room or along the street/side streets wherever. Keep in mind my street is one way but there aren't any signs to display this.

If someone brings me a Chocolate Orange as a Christmas gift you will be rewarded!

The_Doug

Smash Ace
I've never heard of a chocolate orange o_o
Yeah they are British originally and I don't recall seeing many around Hampton Roads lately. Not at Walmart, Food Lion, or Farm Fresh anyway. Suffice to say it's my favorite form of chocolate, and they can be occasionally tough to crack open - the tag line used to be, "Don't tap it, whack it!"

Smash on Thursday guys!

toasty

Smash Hero
Yeah they are British originally and I don't recall seeing many around Hampton Roads lately. Not at Walmart, Food Lion, or Farm Fresh anyway. Suffice to say it's my favorite form of chocolate, and they can be occasionally tough to crack open - the tag line used to be, "Don't tap it, whack it!"

Smash on Thursday guys!
OH MY ****ING GOD I LOVE CHOCOLATE ORANGES

Doug I'll do my best to find one for you even though I can't get it to you tonight!!! They're my favorite chocolate too!!!

I have a recipe for an orange/chocolate concoction that's absolutely awesome...and incredibly simple...I'll send you a message on fb :)

The_Doug

Smash Ace
OH MY ****ING GOD I LOVE CHOCOLATE ORANGES

Doug I'll do my best to find one for you even though I can't get it to you tonight!!! They're my favorite chocolate too!!!

I have a recipe for an orange/chocolate concoction that's absolutely awesome...and incredibly simple...I'll send you a message on fb :)
Yea man! All about those chocolate oranges. Love 'em.

Wretched and Schoolie just arrived a bit ago - smashin' it up! Need one more TV!

toasty

Smash Hero
Yea man! All about those chocolate oranges. Love 'em.
my preferred method of destruction:
putting it on its side so the center of the top of the orange is against the tip of a door stopper...and slamming the door against it XD

you have to find a balance between being delicate and violent...usually the "orange" slices come apart perfectly ^_^

I will concur, though, that it's hard as hell to find now ;__;

Ether

Smash Ace
Doug's house is too cool! Surround sound with cool tunes, fish tank aquatic sounds in the background, spacious, furniture...He had pizza and drinks, too. I fee twice as good after playing you, Doug. And I'll think about Pound.

Wretched is still over there, sleeping. Good games, man. You made me enter "serious mode" a few times. I forgot what it was you did, though. Our teamwork was starting to come through.

Schoolie - Teamwork is crazy good.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
When I combo breakered your fawks and then got you down two stocks you went seriousface.
Doug, thanks for the couch.
ERRBODY
make dougs house a priority next time because its big and doug is a good host.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Merry Christmas eve everyone!
As a early christmas gift I come trying to pick your brains :oneeye:

Mind if I ask all of your opinions on how much prediction/reading skills, character knowledge & matchup knowledge, techskill, how long it took you personally to get "good", and how you chose your main each factor into how much you enjoy Melee?
how about into Brawl?
How those levels compare/differ between each game in your opinion?
Did your Melee main get 'nerfed' in Brawl?
What is your definition of how the buffer system works in brawl, and your opinions on it?
What is your BEST/FAVORITE moment in your history with smash?
Who was your smash sensei (or at least introduced you to the competitive scene)?

The reason I ask is not to convert or argue, just a healthy curiosity :awesome:

EDIT: OH! How exactly do you pivot in melee? I asked Schoolie the last time I saw him, but I don't think I explained it well. What I mean is: Is it possible to run in melee one direction and then end up facing the other? Is is simply dash->stop->turn? For example: chain grabbing with Ganon/Falcon do you change direction before the jump canceled grab, or during? I just have to wrap my head around it before my hands can apply it =/

toasty

Smash Hero
I'll skip your gift to us which is really just a request for a gift for you [LOL I'll address those later I guess :)] and go right to the pivot stuff

it's way easier to explain this if I show you (though, did you not watch the "advanced how to" I sent you?)

How to pivot (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone):
Any point during the DASH animation (NOT the running, the dash), you ever-so-gently tilt the control stick in the opposite direction you're dashing in...if you did it right, you'll instantly be standing still facing the opposite direction

AFAIK, you can pivot at any point during the walking animation

Just to clarify: you can NOT pivot while RUNNING...only during the initial dash (think about the window you have for dash dancing, you have the same window of time for pivoting)

I don't know about Ganon's chaingrabs, but as for Jumpcancel grabs, if you're changing direction, you have to input the direction first and then press X(or Y) and Z nearly simultaneously. Some characters slide a bit when they JC grab so you'll have to learn that timing if you want to implement it.

You can JCgrab while doing..anything, really. Walking/Running/Dashing

BUT, like dashdancing and pivoting, you can only change direction for the JC-grab in the same window of time during the dash animation

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Yeah when you input a Dash animation you can tilt the stick causing you to just turn around standing as toasty said. It's really good for Characters like Marth and Roy. Well good for people with a Good f-smash so they can pivot f-smash. Or Pivot CG. I use it to Pivot Up-Smash with Fox time to time or Pivot reverse shine. Come to think of it Pivoting is really good for anyone.

Mind if I ask all of your opinions on how much prediction/reading skills, character knowledge & matchup knowledge, techskill, how long it took you personally to get "good", and how you chose your main each factor into how much you enjoy Melee?

I chose my main Roy cause I though he looked cool. Also I liked his Dtilt the fact that it sends you up and he can Cancel his IASA frames is cool. I have acquired So much knowledge on my own rather than the roy boards cause they don exits. Roy is my personal Favorite/Fun character he's just too lulz. Falcon is amazing too. Fox has what I consider one of my favorite play style's and I love to improve on Tech skill.

How about into Brawl?

Well, I main Pit Cause I though he looked like Roy. Controllable Arrows are nice. He's Unique being the only character in a smash game to have only 3 mid air jumps, cannot meteor cancel and etc. Myother Main Mk is obv, Mk da bess.

Personally Melee Gives me a Strive to learn more about frames and punishments and improve my overall tech skill. COMBO'S

Brawl, It teaches me to Read/Predict, punish airdodges and more, getting familiar with some melee stages (Rainbow Cruise), Buffering, Pivot Neutral B's.
And I just Love Brawl Doubs. It also helps you to fight a somewhat uphill battle seeing how Mk ***** everybody out there... hide yo.. k..i..

My character didn't make it in. Though if he did he would've been Top tier. No CC = Roy Playground. I don't have to worry about transitioning from brawl to melee like people who's character did make it back. Like Marth mains and etc.

What is your definition of how the buffer system works in brawl, and your opinions on it?

Buffer system is like playing on a laggy *** tv. I buffer all the time Pivot arrows, Pit's CG. Wingdashing, Sliding Up-smash Up-b to ariels

When I ***** mashi with Roy in melee <3, Some CNU events where me and shaden ***** in doubs. When I beat Ether's Marth with Roy/Falcon. When Toasty ***** me with Ness. When I went to MLG DC.

Who was your smash sensei (or at least introduced you to the competitive scene)?

Melee: Shaeman, Rhan, Royce, And Micheal. Thanks to them I wouldn't be the Roy player that stand b4 you today I'd be a G&W main...

Brawl: Pretty much on my own, since Team Stars, Beside's me don't play brawl. After a while Kadaj started training me. Now I teach other's how to play. Match-up knowledge etc.

Ether

Smash Ace

how about into Brawl?

It took me like two years. But I've been playing better these days than I ever have, so you could say it took me 9 years. It didn't have to take this long. If you play really good people, you get better faster.

Prediction and reads factor a lot into me enjoying this game, but it's kind of interesting. I like to play less-skilled players and try to find a few things I can spam that works against them, and then I try it on more-skilled players, and a lot of times it works. And this makes me happy, because it means in a way, we're all connected. Maybe skill gaps aren't that big. But being able to pick a character up just for fun like Falcon and do **** combos is also pretty important and keeps this game from getting stale.

Like, I don't mind Brawl. Getting ***** by Kadaj is actually pretty enjoyable. It depends for some people, though. You gotta have that drive, that inner voice that says, "It's possible for me to win. I've seen myself lose; now I want to see the other side of the grass." Whatever game it is, Brawl or Melee or whatever, you learn the rules and you play to win, have fun, and learn.

How I ended up maining Marth is pretty interesting. I used to only play teams with a friend against cpus. Graduated into 1v1's, and things got pretty heated. I played Link and little Marth at the time cuz I like swords like Warrior. Then he picked up Sheik and autocombo'd me, so I did a little research and found that Ken was the best in the world and used Marth. So I learned advanced play for Marth in order to beat Sheik. NOT THE BEST IDEA, but in the end, it made me stronger, and I feel like I've advanced the metagame at least a bit in that area. But anyway, me learning advanced tactics made my early friends hate me for taking a game so seriously. So if anything, playing Marth made this game less enjoyable for me. And incredibly enough, I have more fun these days playing Sheik. And I think it's because for 9 years, I haven't allowed myself to use this character competitively, so it's like a kid and a cookie jar. I like how Sheik makes me feel like I'm so cool, and I guess there isn't really a character in Brawl that makes me feel that way.

I don't think Marth got nerfed terribly, if at all, in Brawl. I think some characters just are better due to the mechanics of the game. Fine by me, just poke and slash 'em anyway.

I don't know anything about the buffer system in Brawl, sorry. As for my best moment in smash? Hmm... I have a lot of moments.
*Teaming with Tope, Doll, Cyrain
*Beating most of Team Richmond in one tourney they hosted when G-reg and KM came down, and placing 3rd and becoming honorary Team Arlington.
*4-stocking KM in Marth dittos.
*Beating Azen in Marth dittos.
*That near comeback against Tope in finals the first time we played, with the spike that made every go crazy.
*Being crowned King of Green Greens.
*That 19 or so hit combo I did on G-reg, coining Swordification.
*2v1 comeback against Tope and Doll when I teamed up with Cyrain and won a teams tourney.
*Made it out of bracket at Apex.
*Beating Fullmetal in Marth dittos at Pound 3 when I didn't even know him. That guy is actually pretty amazing, and I could feel something unique about him before I even talked to him. But he loved my fair->reverse up B that I did when he DI'd to avoid the Ken Combo. I'm pretty sure I started doing this before any other Marth.
*Getting NEO's autograph and AIM screename.
*Chu's dream book. <.<

But without a doubt, my best and favorite moment was when Tope came down for my tourney, said I'm good, shook my hand and said thanks. I mean, a moment like that, and you can just about hang up the game for good.

I never had a smash sensei who introduced me. I think if I had to pick someone, it would be C-Stick, because he would post on Gamefaqs as one of the only people from Sova, and he seemed to have a lot of weight in those topics. And when I would see videos he'd post of his Samus and and Ganon and Doc, I honestly would think, "man, I wish I were cool enough for this guy to play some games with me." True story. But C-Stick was the one who hosted a tourney that kind of introduced me to everyone else. And apparently, something happened to some scooter kid before I got there. Does anyone remember what happened?

Anyway, I did a bunch of rambling, and long story short, Melee is ****ing awesome, and doing amazing **** and getting the crowd hyped makes me feel like a rock star.

The_Doug

Smash Ace

how about into Brawl?

EDIT: OH! How exactly do you pivot in melee? I asked Schoolie the last time I saw him, but I don't think I explained it well. What I mean is: Is it possible to run in melee one direction and then end up facing the other? Is is simply dash->stop->turn? For example: chain grabbing with Ganon/Falcon do you change direction before the jump canceled grab, or during? I just have to wrap my head around it before my hands can apply it =/

Prediction and reading is a great skill to have. Pretty much everyone has the ability to read an opponent, but obviously if you're able to put it to use in a tournament setting people you've never played before, that makes it an extremely good skill to have. Some smash players have a strong ability to do this.

Tech skill is pretty much dexterity combined with practice. Very important to be good at this if you want to be good at smash.

Not counting when I played SSB64 and local (not very serious) mini-tournaments from the very beginning in 1999, I would say it took me about 18 months, from when the game came out, and about 8 months of which was solid training with good players to break barriers and beat a lot of players consistently in melee. Bought the game immediately when it came out in December 2001 and had my first house party tournament that same night. I still remember picking Bowser, playing on Icicle Mountain in a FFA game for my very first game - I never played Bowser for months after that game. Believe or not the first character I actually got good with was Marth in the summer of 2003 when I finally started beating players in regional tournaments. Previously I had rotated between Fox and Sheik and gotten absolutely wrecked in tournament brackets. Bear in mind this was way, way before the metagame in smash had started to develop so nobody knew how to use Marth, let alone play against him. Heck, the smash terms "tipper" and "shine" did not even exist.

Side story - my nickname at the time was Shredder (my first smashboards name) in our small smash group called the Ninja Turtles. There was only one better player in our group who could keep up with me "Zax" who later became a member of DBR. My official "breakout" moment was when I beat a player called Recipherus in a tournament semi-finals in a very, very close set. At the time there were a couple other kids in the room cheering against me, and to be perfectly honest I got fairly lucky with the items in a couple of those games, but regardless I had DONE it! It felt so good to win against the top player at the time, so as soon as our set was over I went Warrior style and did a battlecry "YEAH GET THE F OUTTA HERE!!". Recipherus was shocked but he was humble in defeat and told Mattdeezie the results - "You lost, really to who?" "I lost to.... The Doug!" And so The_Doug was born, and I created my smashboards name some months later.

My current main character is Sheik.

I hopped around a lot between Marth in 2001-2004, Sheik 2003-present, and Peach 2005-present. I can't quite remember why I stopped playing Marth to be honest it may have been due to multiple reasons because watching others get so much better at him than me was discouraging - see Eduardo, Ken, Azen, Taj, Ek, etc. Honestly watching Ken breakout and dominate the California scene is a whole 'nother story in itself. People aren't really impressed or just kinda "meh" when someone does a f-air, f-air, d-air with Marth these days, but when it was seen in 2002 or 2003 it was jaw dropping.

I played some DK in Brawl when it first came out. I remember really enjoying playing DK in SSB64 just enjoy that character. A big punch is really satisfying to land.

Could never really get into Brawl. Probably a combination of my age and that my roots are too deep in Melee.

Sheik got nerfed a lot in Brawl in my opinion. I have no idea what tier she is now though coming to 2011.

There are literally HUNDREDS of moments in smash that have been awesome - hence why I still play the game. But if I'm forced to choose only one then it has to be my first tournament win. It is an indescribable...exciting feeling to win, and in all likelihood I won't feel it again, but I will not quit trying.

There have been a few "smash sensei" :
-Recipherus because he gave me my name.
-Scamp, ever heard of DSR, Dave's Stupid Stage Rule? Scamp = Dave.
-MattDeezie pretty much the grandfather of smash also trained me, who I'm sad to say a lot of smashers don't even know who he is now, really motivated me to go to tournaments.
-Isai who beat me so many times in friendlies and even tournament matches from 2002-now.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Other than Schoolie being a scrooge, I'm really glad I asked that. :D
Amazing stories so far guys, learning some of the reasons I love this game are similar to everyone else's in the community is a great feeling.

And thanks Toasty and pitzer that answered my question. I look forward to playing all of you again soon :cool: get ready!

You gotta have that drive, that inner voice that says, "It's possible for me to win. I've seen myself lose; now I want to see the other side of the grass." Whatever game it is, Brawl or Melee or whatever, you learn the rules and you play to win, have fun, and learn.
AMEN
Ether, this quote is incredible.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
I totally planned on it :D
Just got a case of the lazies...

aka drinkin eggnog and eatin cake!

Side note: after going to the last big Brawl tourney in MD, it just reignited my passion for the game of smash. It was there I felt older, wiser, and honestly I've learned things with Brawl that help me understand how to play Melee better.
Despite me playing with some of the greats at that tourney I also saw people who were in my shoes some odd years ago when I rolled up to Ether's appt, got wrecked by everyone there and witnessed the sheer difference in what I had believed smash to be and what it actually was when people knew how to play it.

I remember teaming with Ether against Koori, Schoolie, and Kitsune and knowing that even though I sucked, all I had to do was watch the **** that was Ether's marth...and just stay outta' his way. (and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe get the occasional UpB spike at the edge with Link <3) I also remember getting my first 0-death Rest combo from Schoolie's Jiggs and how Schoolie's car was the only one that didn't get towed that night haha

Getting into melee so late was a unique experience for me. (2007)
I was there to meet everyone at Melee's peak, and how excited EVERYONE was for brawl. It really is a shame to me that the communities between Brawl and Melee are so divided now. Though I admit I forsake melee when Brawl first came out, though only because I wanted to start fresh with everyone; learn the game from the beginning as I had missed out on melee and 64's competitive scenes. I still remember the day I found smashboards. I was watching an MLG video about PC chris and he mentioned 'a massive website where smashers from all over could find other smashers in their areas and share tournies, fests, and just meet new people'.
A few moments later I stumbled into this thread

I know my story is not as epic as The Dougs or as passionate as Ether's but I really <3 everyone I've met through Smash. Seriously.
Apologies for being so sappy-I blame the holidays, cheers!

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas fellas, Slash I'll fill your survery later and PM that bad boy.

Everyone be sure to update with your nintendo64's and ponies.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
No need to think up a New Year's Resolution. I've got one for SoVa: Attend at least one MD/VA tournament besides Pound.

You guys should have your hands full with that one.

<3

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Merry Christmas guys.

Ether - Nah those guys Krazyjones, Eve, Hayato are from around Massachusetts and were the top players from that region 2004-2006'ish. Great bunch of guys - I met them at Melee-FC especially KJ who was an anti-Sheik/Fox specialist.

Wretched - Yeah I have another opportunity to host coming up. One of these days Dec 30 or Jan 1 or 2.

Slashtalon - It's never too late to start playing Melee.

Top Bottom