• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Talks About Fan Criticism

In his 495th installment of the Thoughts About the Video Games column, Sakurai discusses fan criticism following the reveal of Cloud in the last Nintendo Direct. After Cloud's reveal, some fans complained that Cloud was 'not Nintendo enough' to be in Smash.

Source Gaming has the full column translated for fans to read.

In the column, he begins with how George Lucas has stepped away from the newest Star Wars:
Separate from that, in an interview in the American edition of Vanity Fair, Lucas himself apparently said “you go to make a movie and all you do is get criticized. And it’s not much fun. You can’t experiment.”
He continues,
A truly serious problem….! He’s such a big name, and to hear him leave this franchise that has impassioned so many fans, a person who worked on the originals with his own hands, is incredibly sad and frustrating. Personally, George Lucas’s work is the work I would really like to see.
Sakurai is no stranger to this himself.
However, I truly understand his feelings. You could say my body is filled with these feelings. Making something, and completing it is a huge undertaking, and there are a lot of places where fans can’t see. It’s like building a house, but people focus on a single painting that’s hung up on a wall in one room, and fixate on it, and keep listing off their complaints of that painting. These situations are very common.
He then goes on to connect that feeling with the Smash Bros. series. You can read the rest of the column here.

Remember to subscribe to Source Gaming on Facebook or Twitter!

Agree? Disagree? Let us know in the comments what you think of Sakurai's comments.

PushDustIn wants to wish the Smash community a Happy New Year! You can follow him on Twitter in order to stay up to date.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

As refreshing as it is to see so many people (not just on this site) genuinely upset, and able to speak rationally about, Wolf not making the roster... I really have to wonder how many of ya'll didn't VOTE for him in the ballot, because you figured, "Oh, he's definitely coming back, I don't need to waste my vote on him."

Blame yourselves.

Also, any of you twits claiming the primary reason Sakurai didn't bring Wolf back is because he "didn't want to invest the time in making him as unique as a character" are just showing how little you know about the games and its characters. If you compare the frame data of every move of Wolf's to Fox's, and Luigi's to Mario's, Wolf was even less of a clone of Fox than Luigi was of Mario.

Sakurai : "Thank you so much for waiting. As promised, here's the game, with new features and-"
Fans : "Where's Wolf ?"
Sakurai : "Well, we decided to work on other characters that aren't clones-"
Fans : "Geez Sakurai, why did you change Wario's F-Smash. This game sucks !"
Sakurai : "Hum, hello, we added custom moves, just for you-"
Fans : "Sakurai, 3 clones, really ? You really are treating us like idiots !"
Sakurai :
View attachment 89846

Nitpicking is what the Smash community considers as "criticism".
Lol love that gif

Can't wait to see how this whole community turns up now with most of the flawed or biased conceptions about character inclusions being broken incase the next game turns up.

Last edited:
Also, any of you twits claiming the primary reason Sakurai didn't bring Wolf back is because he "didn't want to invest the time in making him as unique as a character" are just showing how little you know about the games and its characters. If you compare the frame data of every move of Wolf's to Fox's, and Luigi's to Mario's, Wolf was even less of a clone of Fox than Luigi was of Mario.
This. I've seen many people call Wolf a clone and stuff, and here I'm just thinking; "Have you even played the character?"
Alot of people seem to call Wolf a clone because of his specials, but other than his Reflector or Final Smash, he doesn't have many similarities with Fox.

Last edited:
I'm sick of you guys cutting the article short and forcing us to go to that dang website! If you're going to post something, post the whole thing, enough with the stupid advertising.
So what you're saying is that SmashBoards should steal all the site traffic that Source Gaming has earned by translating this article and then subsequently them not being able to afford to make future articles because people aren't going to their site just because you can't be bothered to click a link?

Melee HD isn't nessisary. Just because of updated graphics if there are no changes, no newcomers like Pac-Man or Sonic, and the same roster of clones we know to this day: what's the point?

It's hard for people to understand what it's like from a developer's point of view.

When you work really hard at something though, sometimes there come's a moment, where you want to do something that doesn't fit, simply because you want to do it. You know that fans will complain, you know you're not following the pattern, but you do it anyways because it's your creation, and your right to do so.

On the other hand, ever developer had best keep their fans in mind when making anything. It's their fans who keep them monetarily afloat, and if they know that there's gonna be backlash, then be ready for it.

I do not support Cloud being in Smash 4, unless his FF game does get a remake on the Wii U. Also, I found his move set to be somewhat interesting but. . . somewhat reminiscent of Marth and Roy. With differences to be certain, but still. Nothing really interesting stood out to me and he just feels so basic.

If it where up to me, there's no way I would have done a character as far displaced from Nintendo as Cloud. I would have introduced a Mega Man character, or probably Knuckles, since Knuckles would at least provide variety in move sets, and many Nintendo fans would remember him from Sonic's games on Nintendo consoles. (Sonic Heroes, SA2, SADX ect.)

Even a Castlevania character would have made a lot more sense to me, but, if it's Sakurai's game, then it's his choice. And he can do what he wants. It's your choice to buy it or not.

My question though is. . . does he really get a say in what character they put in next? I'm not certain, he might just be the cover guy.

I would have liked Shovel Knight more than Cloud. At least he's on his own game for Wii U, right?

Even though the game is still alive competitively, financially it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to HD Remix while Smash 4 is still young. This is a business first before anything else and they want to get there games to as many hands as possible and making a HD remix of a Smash Game with less characters, and features would not make any sense. It would literally be a step down from their last title. Yea it would be a great buy for the competitive community but its franchise success is due to how every fan contributed to supporting this game (Purchasing) and they are not about to create a game for minority group of people who are going to buy it.

Plus they don't need to over saturate the market with another smash brothers game whether if its a re-release or not. One smash entry per generation has how it been and it worked because it builds hype once after the past entry dies down. Yes the competitive scene keeps the games going but market wise the hype is gone till the next game picks up.

Most of the fanbase moves onto other games but the competitive scene, which means a huge chunk of the hype isn't there anymore.

Last edited:
Most of the fanbase moves onto other games but the competitive scene, which means a huge chunk of the hype isn't there anymore.
I see this argument a lot. The problem with this logic lies in the fact that most of the fanbase also moves on from the current-gen smash game after about...a month or two. You see it all over even the more Nintendo-biased sites/forums. The vast majority of people stop playing games 1-2, maybe 3 months after release.

You might argue that that doesn't matter since their $60 was worth as much to Nintendo as someone who plays the game every day, and that's true, but who do you think is more likely to snatch up every piece of DLC that comes out 5, 7, 12 months after the game's release?

It's very much in their best interest to keep the hype train rolling, and their relatively minimal support of this series, in my opinion, ranks pretty high up on the 'stupid **** Nintendo does' list.

Last edited:
BECAUSE ITS JUST AS MUCH MY GAME AS IT IS SAKURAI'S. And not getting the character I want is WORSE than not getting anything at all!
That's merely you not being 100% satisfied with the Smash Ballot results. You can't make everyone happy, but you should at least be happy with the fact that we're getting DLC to begin with. No one b!tched when we got Mega Man or Ryu, and Cloud's inclusion could be a hint towards greater things between Square and Nintendo.

As for Corrin, I do feel we have a LOT of Fire Emblem characters this time around, but at the same time, I find it nice that the series is getting so much attention and that we're getting more interesting sword fighters. I heard nothing but complaints before about how "terrible" the sword fighters were before we started getting DLC. Now with Cloud and Corrin, we might actually get some interesting sword fighters into higher spots on the tier list.

(Hell, even I think Roy is at least a high-mid tier character.)

The moral of this is "you need to be happy with what you got, and to not get mad with what you didn't get."

Last edited:
That's merely you not being 100% satisfied with the Smash Ballot results. You can't make everyone happy, but you should at least be happy with the fact that we're getting DLC to begin with. No one b!tched when we got Mega Man or Ryu, and Cloud's inclusion could be a hint towards greater things between Square and Nintendo.

As for Corrin, I do feel we have a LOT of Fire Emblem characters this time around, but at the same time, I find it nice that the series is getting so much attention and that we're getting more interesting sword fighters. I heard nothing but complaints before about how "terrible" the sword fighters were before we started getting DLC. Now with Cloud and Corrin, we might actually get some interesting sword fighters into higher spots on the tier list.

(Hell, even I think Roy is at least a high-mid tier character.)

The moral of this is "you need to be happy with what you got, and to not get mad with what you didn't get."

(Damnit, the little sh^t deleted his post. Now i look like a babbling idiot.)

Last edited:
I see this argument a lot. The problem with this logic lies in the fact that most of the fanbase also moves on from the current-gen smash game after about...a month or two. You see it all over even the more Nintendo-biased sites/forums. The vast majority of people stop playing games 1-2, maybe 3 months after release.

You might argue that that doesn't matter since their $60 was worth as much to Nintendo as someone who plays the game every day, and that's true, but who do you think is more likely to snatch up every piece of DLC that comes out 5, 7, 12 months after the game's release?

It's very much in their best interest to keep the hype train rolling, and their relatively minimal support of this series, in my opinion, ranks pretty high up on the 'stupid **** Nintendo does' list.
The DLC is what brings people back and once its over thats it, people then people moves on once again. I would love continue DLC support for this game but at the same time the game is fine the way it is at this point. I will much rather them put more into the next Smash game. No more characters so they can leave room for hype in Smash 5. I've played Smash 64 all the way till Melee and played that game till brawl etc. This kind of game is designed for that and I think DLC spoiled a lot of us.

I have a ton of Wii U, PS4, and Xbox 1 games but Smash 4 is the only game I play on a daily bases. Sakurai and team had done a good job with the franchise.

No Sakurai still has time constraints with DLC. The devs still have a schedule they need to keep and they can't just keep the team together forever. So he can't take as much time as he wants because
A) People would be left waiting a super long time for the character
B) Nintendo would care, and they aren't going to back a character taking longer unless it's going to make more money to make up for the lost time.
And yes Isaac could have been implemented, but he has a grand total of zero popularity outside of Golden Sun fans and the hardcore Smash players.
You act as though the only people who talk about Smash around here is hardcore Smash players. Isaac is wanted by much of the community, and, at least going by appearance, wouldn't garner that much of a different reaction from fans outside of it than Corrin or any other Fire Emblem character. Corrin had no popularity anywhere leading up to their reveal. So who cares where his fan base comes from? It's at least there.

I saw very little opposition to Ryu, and what I did see stemmed from a misquote of something Sakurai said about fighting game characters. And I saw even fewer people complain about his reveal, certainly not the extent we got with Cloud and Corrin.
Really? Well maybe it's just because I was involved in it, but therewas quite a bit. Maybe not here, but we really aren't allowed to have negative reactions around here without being dogpiled on anyway. A lot of people used the no traditional fighting game character, or no 3rd party company gets 2 reps thing to defend their point, but only a few didn't want him solely for those reasons alone. Either way, I still believe characters should be added based on popularity they had beforehand, not after. We aren't talking about how Sakurai should pick Smash 5's roster here, we're talking about how he picked a relatively un-talked about character, and decided to bypass about 50-or-so others just to make his dream a reality.
Never underestimate the power of memes, they turned :4falcon: into the legend he is today.
Captain Falcon may get a lot of meme attention now, but for years he was (along with Fox) the face of Smash Bros entirely. Roy's popularity seems to solely rely on "teh phire" and "R O Y B O Y S". Very few seem to care much for him outside of jokes.

You know I think this is where the problem lies. I don't give a **** about what's popular in the Smash community, because really we ain't ****. The vast majority of the people who play this game don't associate themselves with the game's community, let alone contribute to random popularity polls or post on forums. DLC, as well as all the other characters in this game, are made for EVERYONE who picks up a controller, and Cloud certainly is a character a lot of people wanted to play. What looks like a huge presence on something like SmashBoards like K. Rool might not matter at all to 80% of the people who play the game. You know what probably got Bayonetta voted highest? The people who visited the Smash Bros. website for whatever reason and saw that they could suggest a character to be added to Smash, and thought Bayonetta would be cool. Someone like Banjo or Isaac only matters to hardcore Nintendo fans, and those are not the majority of Smash players.
And that's the problem isn't it, the people who continue to support the game after all this time and make it part of their life get ignored, because a public poll let anyone who passively play/talk/involves themselves with the game the time of day to give their input. Many of which probably haven't even bought the damn thing.

I won't even talk about how I believe Bayonetta's numbers to be shady again; to effectively consider the opinions of a bunch of people that don't care all that much about the game over fans that follow it religiously is what subjects himself to criticism. We're the ones buying the DLC, that **** doesn't sell to everyone who bought a copy of the game. If you ask me, the ballot should've only been accessible after registering the game or some ****. Anything else, and you get a bunch of people who haven't played Smash Bros for 15 years/ people who played Smash at that party once deciding who does or doesn't make it in which I don't think makes a bit of sense.

Is some/many of the silent majority dedicated fans? Maybe maybe not, either we can't keep deferring to their opinions because in reality over 100,000 people backed Britney ****in Spears. The silent majority is full of idiots.

We did get :4littlemac: though, whose reveal was essentially the equivalent of :4feroy: reveal for Japan, who was complaining about how this irrelevant character was taking a slot from one of THEIR big characters. People are always going to want their opinions valued more, that's the nature of life.
Look at pre-poll data for every Smash game that has some. Japan always gets a good chunk of the characters they asked for in the game, Roy's not the only one. Little Mac, on the other hand, seems like the only character that only had popularity in the states to make it in the game yet. I'm not going to get on him too much for that, it's regional bias sure, but it's unavoidable. He speaks their language, he traverses their boards, he hears their opinions, of course their will be some bias there, but this much? I still wish he at least got someone to pay more attention to our opinions. I honestly think that the ballot was extra make-up for this as well. Notice how he didn't mention Japan's results for Bayonetta at the end. He needs to start taking all of our interests collectively, and not piece them together place by place.

I'm not talking about competitive viability, that means almost nothing. I'm talking about how fun a character is to play. Someone like Mewtwo was a ton of fun to play, just not competitively. Lets say that :wolf: was as fun to play as someone like:bowser2: or :samus2: was. Do you really think people would care about him as much? Ryu was chosen because his qualities made him a fun character. And there are a lot of people who would play as Ryu even if he wasn't as good as he is because they love the character, it's just that most of them aren't part of the Smash community.
My point with Ryu, is that he's blowing up because every other highlight reel has a Ryu or two in it, because he's so ****in' good. Without the exposure, he'd fade away, like WFT who had similar reactions upon their reveal. And I know, you don't think WFT had similar reactions, but I'm just saying what I saw. Smash fans will get hyped over anything once it gets revealed.

Also, many Mewtwo fans still hate how Mewtwo plays. We just put up with it because c'mon, it's Mewtwo.

Wolf didn't get in the initial roster probably just because they didn't have time to fit everyone from Brawl in and the newcomers, and Wolf was one of the expendable Brawl newcomers (he was added in as an afterthought to begin with as well). He wasn't added as DLC because Lucas was chosen over him, and he couldn't match the popularity of Cloud or Bayonetta or the fighter potential of Ryu and wasn't a super special character from a new game like Corrin. As for why K. Rool wasn't picked... he isn't actually popular. It sucks to say it, considering the amount of people who are passionate for the character, and I'll be mad as hell if he isn't included in the next Smash game, but when taking all the millions of Smash players as a whole, the K. Rool fans make up a small percent. The polls really aren't a indicator of overall popularity. Think a moment for just how many more people visit the main Smash Bros site compared to something like Smashboards or the Smash subreddit, and then it starts to become clear that fan polls don't present a clear picture of what's popular. Wolf and K. Rool were nowhere near as universal as people made them out to be.
Wolf doesn't match the popularity of Cloud/Bayonetta etcc... Come on dude, you know better than that. I know he's not as important, but popularity is something he actually has even ouside of Smash. K.Rool too, although that may not last, because his bandwagoners are starting to get frustrated with not getting a hugely popular character and will most likely move on. Say what you want about their popularity inside or out of the Smash community, but you don't know who is and isn't popular just as much as I do, and up until the ballot neither did Sakurai. The info's just not there, our stupid polls are literally the only pulse on who people do and don't want, so if many say "K.Rool" you can't just assume they mean ****in' Cloud or Goku. I'm tired of hearing that our opinions are just few of many. Is it true? Sure, but until the ballot (which as I wrote earlier, I think is a joke anyway) it was the only ones he ever heard.

So yeah, OUR opinions are the ones he should've been listening to after all this time, not some mythical majority who most likely consists of kids who change their opinions every 5 seconds anyway (I used to be that kid). The fact that he ignored his DEDICATED fan base (which really, who else should you be really listening to anyway) is what subjects him to criticism, not supposed "insatiable fans" that just want to be angry.

Sakurai : "Thank you so much for waiting. As promised, here's the game, with new features and-"
Fans : "Where's Wolf ?"
Sakurai : "Well, we decided to work on other characters that aren't clones-"

Nitpicking is what the Smash community considers as "criticism".
WOLF..IS NOT... A CLONE!
Everything about him is vastly different than both fox and falco.

He has a shine that works after you release it and dosent even send either straight up or down; it sends you in an angle. He also has tilts that are completely different form Thiers like his down and forward tilt which is a multi hit move and can actually kill.

His recovery isn't the same length and hell it isn't even a g diffuser ue uses. He literally kicks up with one hitbox rather than multi hit also.

Even his Smash attacks are different with one being his up Smash that's also a multi hit. Seriously, stop this claim that has no evidence to back it up.

Did you see that... Phantom Menace behind Sakurai. Coincidence? I think not. What if Corrin and Bayonetta aren't the last two dlc. What if there is a third one...

You heard me right, a third dlc character. It is none other than...

JAR JAR BINKS!

But seriously, I loved the idea of a third party dlc, although I was disappointed to see Ninten didn't make the cut for Smash.

I really hope to see smash with a different developer in the future.
Me too. And not because I'm disappointed with the game (I've had a lot of fun and sunk over a hundred hours on the 3DS version), but because it would be interesting to see a Smash game made from a different perspective.

So yeah, OUR opinions are the ones he should've been listening to after all this time, not some mythical majority who most likely consists of kids who change their opinions every 5 seconds anyway (I used to be that kid). The fact that he ignored his DEDICATED fan base (which really, who else should you be really listening to anyway) is what subjects him to criticism, not supposed "insatiable fans" that just want to be angry.
Let me give you some numbers here. SmashBoards currently has about 200,000 people members. Let's be generous and assume that every single one of them is a player of Smash 4 and counts themselves among the Smash 4 community. You know how many people bought Smash 4 as of October 2015? 11 Million, and that number has almost certainly raised after this holiday season. Even taking out the people who probably bought both versions that means the Smash 4 community consists of a grand total of 2% of the total player base.

There is no "mythical" majority, it's very much real. It doesn't make sense from any perspective, from a devs standpoint or a business standpoint, to cater to 2% of a group. And the majority of people aren't composed of 10 million five year olds, they're people just like you or me who just don't want to invest a ton of energy into the game. Yes we care more about the games, but that doesn't make our opinion superior to any other players, and definitely not 50 times more so. Even if every single one of those 200,000 people asked for K. Rool, that's still not even close to being a majority, and certainly not every person voted for K. Rool, or even voted at all. We make a lot of noise online, that doesn't change the reality that we are a very small minority.

D
So what you're saying is that SmashBoards should steal all the site traffic that Source Gaming has earned by translating this article and then subsequently them not being able to afford to make future articles because people aren't going to their site just because you can't be bothered to click a link?
I'm saying that I shouldn't be forced to go to their dang website every time a new article pops up. After a while it just gets annoying and repelling. If that site wants to get more traffic then Smashboards should simply say "check out articles "X", "Y", and "Z" here!" rather than cutting the articles they do show short.
In my example, it allows us to see how good Source Gaming is, and compels us to see more, rather than forcing the website down our throats.

Let me give you some numbers here. SmashBoards currently has about 200,000 people members. Let's be generous and assume that every single one of them is a player of Smash 4 and counts themselves among the Smash 4 community. You know how many people bought Smash 4 as of October 2015? 11 Million, and that number has almost certainly raised after this holiday season. Even taking out the people who probably bought both versions that means the Smash 4 community consists of a grand total of 2% of the total player base.

There is no "mythical" majority, it's very much real. It doesn't make sense from any perspective, from a devs standpoint or a business standpoint, to cater to 2% of a group. And the majority of people aren't composed of 10 million five year olds, they're people just like you or me who just don't want to invest a ton of energy into the game. Yes we care more about the games, but that doesn't make our opinion superior to any other players, and definitely not 50 times more so. Even if every single one of those 200,000 people asked for K. Rool, that's still not even close to being a majority, and certainly not every person voted for K. Rool, or even voted at all. We make a lot of noise online, that doesn't change the reality that we are a very small minority.
I never said it didn't exist, I said it doesn't continue to play/care about the game like we do.

WOLF..IS NOT... A CLONE!
Everything about him is vastly different than both fox and falco.

He has a shine that works after you release it and dosent even send either straight up or down; it sends you in an angle. He also has tilts that are completely different form Thiers like his down and forward tilt which is a multi hit move and can actually kill.

His recovery isn't the same length and hell it isn't even a g diffuser ue uses. He literally kicks up with one hitbox rather than multi hit also.

Even his Smash attacks are different with one being his up Smash that's also a multi hit. Seriously, stop this claim that has no evidence to back it up.
Wolf is a clone.
Same specials, same Final Smash, Same playstyle with slightly altered stats on each move.

I'm saying that I shouldn't be forced to go to their dang website every time a new article pops up. After a while it just gets annoying and repelling. If that site wants to get more traffic then Smashboards should simply say "check out articles "X", "Y", and "Z" here!" rather than cutting the articles they do show short.
In my example, it allows us to see how good Source Gaming is, and compels us to see more, rather than forcing the website down our throats.
You act like is so terrible that you have to click a link and spend 5 seconds to check out something another website made. Oh no, poor you. Your example doesn't work because if you just put the whole article on another site nobody's going to go to that site because they already read the article they care about. Also what if someone wants to share the article and they share the SmashBoards link instead of the original? How the heck is that fair to the people who made the article?
I never said it didn't exist, I said it doesn't continue to play/care about the game like we do.
I see this argument a lot, the argument that casual players don't stick around. And that is true... for most games. Smash is not like most games. Smash is a game that has insane replayability and is multiplayer focused, so people continue to play it. Heck just the other day i was at a place where people were gathering around playing Brawl still. The fact that there are people still buying Smash 4 is evidence enough that not everyone suddenly dropped the game after 3 months. Also, you're simply kidding yourself if you think they could sustain DLC development of this quality on only 200,000 people.

D
You act like is so terrible that you have to click a link and spend 5 seconds to check out something another website made. Oh no, poor you. Your example doesn't work because if you just put the whole article on another site nobody's going to go to that site because they already read the article they care about. Also what if someone wants to share the article and they share the SmashBoards link instead of the original? How the heck is that fair to the people who made the article?
It's not right that every time one of these articles pop up I have to go through the whole 1-2 process. If you're going to post something, either post the whole thing, or just leave a link, but don't condition people into going to their stupid website. Nobody cares about Source Gaming, nobody cares about PushDustin's facebook. Nobody. This is just one massive advertisement, and for what? One article isn't going to make a big difference on the income these two sites make. Also, my example does work, because if you show the entire article, then people can behold the hypothetical quality of Source Gaming, and then they can have a list of "interesting articles" and simply have a link take you right to them, but this repetitive process of getting 2% of the full article is pathetic and annoying.

It's not right that every time one of these articles pop up I have to go through the whole 1-2 process. If you're going to post something, either post the whole thing, or just leave a link, but don't condition people into going to their stupid website. Nobody cares about Source Gaming, nobody cares about PushDustin's facebook. Nobody. This is just one massive advertisement, and for what? One article isn't going to make a big difference on the income these two sites make. Also, my example does work, because if you show the entire article, then people can behold the hypothetical quality of Source Gaming, and then they can have a list of "interesting articles" and simply have a link take you right to them, but this repetitive process of getting 2% of the full article is pathetic and annoying.
This is so pathetic. People who thought people who were salty about the roster were bad, feast your eyes...

Am I the only one that's actually satisfied with Corrin's appearance?
Yes, I would've been happier if a different character, even if it's one from Fire Emblem appeared instead, but, so far, much of what I've seen from his moveset looks uniquely impressive. :)

Despite what most people think, I'm actually KIND-OF intrigued by Corrin. I sort of expected him to be layable in SMASH sooner or later when he got revealed with FE-IF and of course because of the already known Sakurai bias, we WOULD...

But the fact is that, I thought that would happen until WAY LATER into 5MASH NX or whatever name it had. NOT THIS SOON.

That is sort of my issue yet not quite.

I see this argument a lot, the argument that casual players don't stick around. And that is true... for most games. Smash is not like most games. Smash is a game that has insane replayability and is multiplayer focused, so people continue to play it. Heck just the other day i was at a place where people were gathering around playing Brawl still. The fact that there are people still buying Smash 4 is evidence enough that not everyone suddenly dropped the game after 3 months. Also, you're simply kidding yourself if you think they could sustain DLC development of this quality on only 200,000 people.
I'm not kidding anyone, 200,000 people paying premium prices for limited development is solid. Of course there will be more, but to any type of significant amount? Doubtful.

Saying Smash isn't like most games is... dumb. We all know it has replayability, doesn't stop many people from dropping games like MK8 and Splatoon after a few months and it's not going to stop those same people from doing the same thing to Smash. The only ones that won't are the dedicated fans who have to stop being pushed to the side for people who don't factor in that much to the games long term success.

You know who cares about those things? The people who wrote the damn article. And I also care, because I think people who put time and effort into something should get what they deserve from it. You don't want to give a ****? Sure go ahead don't give any, but don't whine over such a trivial thing as clicking on a link.

D
You know who cares about those things? The people who wrote the damn article. And I also care, because I think people who put time and effort into something should get what they deserve from it. You don't want to give a ****? Sure go ahead don't give any, but don't whine over such a trivial thing as clicking on a link.
Then let the people care about it to themselves, but I don't need them shoving their facebooks and websites down my throat every time I go to see the news. These guys aren't official, they aren't real writers (yet they act like they are). If I want to find out who these people are I just simply look at the username, I don't need their little "bio" too.

Then let the people care about it to themselves, but I don't need them shoving their facebooks and websites down my throat every time I go to see the news. These guys aren't official, they aren't real writers (yet they act like they are). If I want to find out who these people are I just simply look at the username, I don't need their little "bio" too.
It seems that you too care about them as well, since you are currently complaining over something trivial and mundane as self-promotion.

Just let it go. No need to be pent up over this.

D
Just for giggles, let's "petition" Sakurai to bring in a Star Wars character into Smash. My votes on either Luke or Darth Vader.
I think Yoda would fit in better, provided he's smaller and has a more "cartoon-esque" build.

Top Bottom