• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Discusses the Final DLC Choices

In a brand new Famitsu Column, translated by Source Gaming, Sakurai discusses his selection of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta for the final DLC on Smash for Wii U/ 3DS.

He begins with Cloud,

Having a representative from Final Fantasy is an amazing feat! And the character that was the overwhelming favorite among the cast of Final Fantasy was Cloud. Wielding his massive Buster Sword with ease in one hand, he has speed, reach, and power. If left unadjusted, he’d definitely be overpowered. After thinking about how I would approach this character, I decided his swordsmanship style would utilize the concept of “swinging through,” which is exemplified in his forward smash. This move has Cloud build up some power before swing three times at high speed. It maintains his speed and reach, but is balanced by having a window of vulnerability before the attack. And he’s fast, but his recovery is weak.
He continues with Corrin,

After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing. I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character.
To read the rest of the interview, check out the full translation on Source Gaming.

PushDustIn is excited for these upcoming characters. Who do you look forward to? Sound off on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

I know I'm probably alone at this, but I would rather change all third parties characters for more Nintendo representation.
If we lose the Nintendo-All Star thing when Sonic was include...
I (and that's only MY OPNION) would be okay with no Sonic or any third party if we could got more Nintendo stuff (Villager should be in Brawl, this game should got a second Animal Crossing character).

I really feel that with Smash4 mainly, the game changed what it is about.

I agree, Smash is no longer solely about celebrating Nintendo. Smash has become more then that, it's become about celebrating all of gaming. But is that really a bad thing? I think it's simply the natural progression of the series. Nintendo, as big as it is, is only one company. If Smash wants to get bigger, the best way to do so is to expand what it's about. Smash has always been about putting people's favorite characters head-to-head, why should some be excluded just because they're not owned by Nintendo?

1. Many people like FE

2. Even if you don't like the game that's not a real reason to hate it

3. Stop being salty that your character didn't win the smash ballot. I don't see you doing any programming.
1. Many people like Zelda and Star Fox, both of whom are still relevant with new games comming out.

2. Yes it is.

3. I didn't even vote in the Ballot because of how it was dealt with, and I'd rather have anything other than another damn FE rep or another sword user with an "anime" design.

Last edited:
1. Many people like Zelda and Star Fox, both of whom are still relevant with new games comming out.

2. Yes it is.

3. I didn't even vote in the Ballot because of bull**** like this, and I'd rather have anything other than another damn FE rep or another sword user with an "anime" design.
One question: what does Corrin have to do with the ballot?

Oh wait, nothing.

Also the fact that you literally called Corrin "Roy 2.0" is probably one of the dumbest things I've seen on this site.

"Sakurai said himself lol."
(About K.Rool be relevant) <<
That's the problem, Sakurai opnion is not a fact. It can be, for Smash Bros, but is that posture some people are not happy about.
I honestly don't give a ***** about what Sakurai thinks about K.Rool.
K.Rool is a big villain in videogame story and simply nobody can deny this. Even if he don't like him because Rareware was not japanese.

Becuase he doesn't want to give them an inch and then the fanbase take it a mile, aka, bending to the fanbase's wants.
<< If he can't control it, he is the one to blame.
Don't give any power to the fanbase is not a kind option.

---------------------------------------------
Wii Fit Trainer: Bruh, you can't be serious. Did see how much that **** sold and how much it did for the Wii? She was also this game's "Surprise character", much like you said,

Duck Hunt: This game's retro character.

Shulk: Mostly timing from the Xenoblade Chronicles release in NA from what I can gather.

Dark Pit: Sakurai already said that they had him in the game but decided to make him differentiate from Pit, same with Lucina.
----------------------
I don't have any problem with any of this characters.
But they all are in together, over a lot of more obvious choices,

Last edited:
I know I'm probably alone at this, but I would rather change all third parties characters for more Nintendo representation.
I (and that's only MY OPNION) would be okay with no Sonic or any third party if we could got more Nintendo stuff (Villager should be in Brawl, this game should got a second Animal Crossing character).

We have 6 3rd parties.Gonna say it again.6.We have 52 characters from nintendo.The 3rd parties take up less than 10% of the roster and has the least amount of content.Even when compared to other nintendo franchies that got "botched" this time around.Look at DK content and than look at SF content.Look at Metroid content and than look at sonic content.You will see the difference this is a nintendo game still.They literally changed nothing

One question: what does Corrin have to do with the ballot?

Oh wait, nothing.

Also the fact that you literally called Corrin "Roy 2.0" is probably one of the dumbest things I've seen on this site.
He doesn't, I was referring to how the Ballot was handled.

Yea comparing Corrin to Roy because they only got in just to advertise games from the same damn franchise is the dumbest thing you've seen on this site.

I have been holding this thought for the longest, but I always felt if Sonic is featured in a game, from the get go the game is either slightly ruined or heavily ruined. I'm not saying he's the primary reason nor he shouldn't return in any future iteration, but it felt like this series and its community jump the shark ever since Brawl came about with him announced,

Last edited:
That's the problem, Sakurai opnion is not a fact. It can be, for Smash Bros, but is that posture some people are not happy about.
I honestly don't give a ***** about what Sakurai thinks about K.Rool.
K.Rool is a big villain in videogame story and simply nobody can deny this. Even if he don't like him because Rareware was not japanese.

<< If he can't control it, he is the one to blame.
Don't give any power to the fanbase is not a kind option.

---------------------------------------------

I don't have any problem with any of this characters.
But they all are in together, over a lot of more obvious choices,
1. I never said Sakurai hated K.Rool wtf are you on about???

2. An unkind, but still very real option.

3. Saying "Nothing justifies the presence of" then listing of the characters makes you sound like you don't like them.
And if it wasn't the intention, I'm sorry that interpreted it like that.

He doesn't, I was referring to how the Ballot was handled.

Yea comparing Corrin to Roy because they only got in just to advertise games from the same damn franchise is the dumbest thing you've seen on this site.
I'm going to keep this so real right: It really was that dumb. Not the dumbest, but still dumb lol.

Plus you're already 14 years too late to start ******** about characters getting in games before they came out :roymelee:

...And even then, at least Corrin's is already out in Japan >.>

Last edited:

If they ever drop Pac-Man, Sonic and Mega Man I won't be happy.

I agree, Smash is no longer solely about celebrating Nintendo. Smash has become more then that, it's become about celebrating all of gaming. But is that really a bad thing? I think it's simply the natural progression of the series. Nintendo, as big as it is, is only one company. If Smash wants to get bigger, the best way to do so is to expand what it's about. Smash has always been about putting people's favorite characters head-to-head, why should some be excluded just because they're not owned by Nintendo?
I think the problem is that Smash has run out of Nintendo all-stars to put into the roster, so that could be the reason why we have more third party characters and FE characters. Sure, there are King K. Rool, Ridley, Inklings, etc, but Sakurai is just biased against them or couldn't figure out a moveset for them I guess...

I now I'm going to sound like a total prude here, but I'm glad that the ratings boards were strict on Bayonetta.
Smash is first and foremost a family-friendly game, and if we're going to implement yet another M-rated character, it's only right that she has to play by the same rules as the rest of us.

Or maybe that's just the salt talking...

I think the problem is that Smash has run out of Nintendo all-stars to put into the roster, so that could be the reason why we have more third party characters and FE characters. Sure, there are King K. Rool, Ridley, Inklings, etc, but Sakurai is just biased against them or couldn't figure out a moveset for them I guess...
There are still plenty of Nintendo all stars, Advance Wars characters (Sami and Sturm), Eternal Darkness characters (Pious), Geist (Nintendo's first m rated First person game) (John Raimi, he looks like Tabuu) and some other cool retros like Mr. Stevenson from Gumshoe. Not to mention other characters like Wolf, Krystal, Bandanna Dee, Dixie, Chibi-Robo, and Isaac.
Speaking of which why wasn't Chibi-Robo used for promotion. His series is on the verge of extinction why didn't he get any smash promotion?

Also, from an absolute purely business standpoint, can you imagine the piles of cash people will be willing to pay to pit characters like Master Chief, Kratos, Dante, or Sora up against the existing all stars in Smash? And that's not even mentioning Goku.

And yes, I did just say Goku. Because Goku being in Smash is not a question of if, but when. It might not be Smash 5, it might not be Smash 6, it might not be Smash 10, heck it might take until Smash 420 for Goku to get in, but if the series goes on long enough he will find his way in. But that's way in the future.
There are still plenty of Nintendo all stars, Advance Wars characters (Sami and Sturm), Eternal Darkness characters (Pious), Geist (Nintendo's first m rated First person game) (John Raimi, he looks like Tabuu) and some other cool retros like Mr. Stevenson from Gumshoe.
I'll be frank, I have not the slightest clue who any of those characters are except for Sami and Strum. I don't think a character is exactly an all-star if you have to elaborate on what he looks like or where he's from.

Last edited:
There are still plenty of Nintendo all stars, Advance Wars characters (Sami and Sturm), Eternal Darkness characters (Pious), Geist (Nintendo's first m rated First person game) (John Raimi, he looks like Tabuu) and some other cool retros like Mr. Stevenson from Gumshoe. Not to mention other characters like Wolf, Krystal, Bandanna Dee, Dixie, Chibi-Robo, and Isaac.
Speaking of which why wasn't Chibi-Robo used for promotion. His series is on the verge of extinction why didn't he get any smash promotion?
And some other obscurities like Custom Robo, Ayumi Tachibana (who?), Mike Jones (who?) or Hikari (who the...?) to piss off people. And another Zelda character, I don't care if It's someone cheap like Linkle.
I just felt Smash 4 had too much market gimmick and questionable decisions. Too many swordfighters, blatant bias, blatant corporative meddling, clones. I still like Smash 4, It's not like it ruined my life like other garbage did, but it still has some things that I don't like or I laugh about. Also, no Ice Climbers, no more labbing into learning chaingrabs and timings, Sniff Sniff.

I just felt Smash 4 had too much market gimmick and questionable decisions. Too many swordfighters, blatant bias, blatant corporative meddling, clones. I still like Smash 4, It's not like it ruined my life like other garbage did, but it still has some things that I don't like or I laugh about. Also, no Ice Climbers, no more labbing into learning chaingrabs and timings, Sniff Sniff.
"Too many sword fighters."

There are literally 47 other characters in the game that don't use swords, I don't see what the problem is.

I assume you mean KI bias with the blatant bias part?

Blatant corporative meddling... Interesting. The only character I can think of that comes close is Corrin.

Also, no Ice Climbers, no more zero-deathing people with chaingrabs, Sniff Sniff.
Fixed it for ya.

But seriously I think a lot of what people don't like about Smash 4 is personal preference, and that's fine. For me, I love the swordfighter characters and don't care at all for the Ice Climbers or Wolf, but I get that some people disagree. I'd rather see more amazing characters from outside companies then ones I don't care about from in Nintendo, but that's just my view. Mike Jones for Smash 5 tho. :yeahboi:

Last edited:
"After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game..."

So yeah. Marketting DOES matter when it comes to introducing a new character in the game instead of pre-existent ones. Just great....

:mad088:

Last edited:
So Corrin wasn't even the result of Nintendo pushing Sakurai to add him in. It actually was just Sakurai's bias toward Fire Emblem.

God. ****ing god.

So Corrin wasn't even the result of Nintendo pushing Sakurai to add him in. It actually was just Sakurai's bias toward Fire Emblem.

God. ****ing god.
"I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character."

Corrin wasn't the result of either Nintendo pushing Sakurai to make a choice or series bias, it was the result of a desire to add a character from an upcoming game that was fun and Corrin was decided to be the best addition, regardless of series.

"I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character."

Corrin wasn't the result of either Nintendo pushing Sakurai to make a choice or series bias, it was the result of a desire to add a character from an upcoming game that was fun and Corrin was decided to be the best addition, regardless of series.
TL;DR he didn't read the article.

And there weren't non-FE characters that fit that bill? Why even decide to do that after saying "from here on out it's all fan-service"? Sakurai is basically a liar for that. It had to have been his more than a little obvious love for FE that ultimately got us Corrin over that fan-service were promised.

TL;DR he didn't read the article.
I did.

And there weren't non-FE characters that fit that bill? Why even decide to do that after saying "from here on out it's all fan-service"? Sakurai is basically a liar for that. It had to have been his more than a little obvious love for FE that ultimately got us Corrin over that fan-service were promised
Sakurai set out to make DLC to make it as interesting and fun as possible for the players of the game. He never said it was "fan service" he said it was "for the fans." Which means Sakurai wanted to deliver the best experience possible with the most interesting characters possible. He was hoping people would see past what series characters came from.

Clearly he hoped for too much.

Sakurai set out to make DLC to make it as interesting and fun as possible for the players of the game. He never said it was "fan service" he said it was "for the fans." Which means Sakurai wanted to deliver the best experience possible with the most interesting characters possible. He was hoping people would see past what series characters came from.

Clearly he hoped for too much.
Actually, yes, he did say that. Then he proceeded to add the "literally who" Corrin.

Last edited:
Questionable roster choices really don't put smash 4 in a good light. It already has awful single player modes, it should be trying to please the fans by adding who they want. There is no denying the fact that they did a horrible job explaining the ballot's guidelines. Also why only choose one character the way the ballot was worded seemed like there would be more than one ballot character. See this was one of the confusing things about the ballot. Disney Infinity handled their ballot much better, in fact you can actually see what percentage of the votes each character has after you vote for a character. Given its completely different from the smash ballot, but its still much better organized, and the guidelines are clear.

Well even better reason to not get this peice of **** character thats basically Roy 2.0 and even more of a reason to for me to despise that weaboo trash thats called Fire Emblem. Its no ****ing coincidence that Nintendo wants to shove this crap down our throats and Sakurai is a tool for allowing this to happen. Iwata is rolling in his ****ing grave.
Everyone, get ready; things are about to get ugly...

First off, I'm flabbergasted beyond belief that of all things to complain about, you pick "it's another Fire Emblem character." Man, so we're complaining about an overly-represented franchise when we got like, I dunno, TWO OTHER OVER-REPRESENTED FRANCHISES!:4mario::4pikachu: And yet I see barely anyone bat an eye, and I see even less care. How about this: I will make a game where each franchise gets only one rep so that everyone can be happy. "Sorry, Luigi! We already have a Mario rep."

Or maybe there's another reason as to why you target Fire Emblem, out of all the other franchises. It's because it's more popular in Japan, isn't it? There's just something about the franchise that doesn't click as brightly in the English countries. Brudda',I hate to break it to you, but America isn't the center of everything. I know, I forgot Europe even existed before we learned Bayonetta was #1 in the Europe polls. I mean, if Europe isn't real, then how come Bayonetta won in the first place?? It's crazy, I tell you!

Or are you upset because it's just nothing but a straight-up advertising fad for a game yet to be internationally released? Lemme answer that question with another one: You know who else was an advertising fad for a game that was yet to be released?

Roy

IT'S OFFICIAL! WARNING! DO NOT BUY ROY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! DON'T EVEN INVOLVE HIM IN SMASH! HE'S NOTHING BUT A SHAMELESS CASH-IN WHO'S ONLY PURPOSE IS TO ADVERTISE A GAME THAT HAS YET TO BE REVIEWED BY CRITICS! I REPEAT: DO NOT BUY ROY!

Do you see where I'm getting at? All of these complaints have never sounded more hypocritical in my ears. You consider FE having too many reps out of the other top three represented franchises because the franchise isn't as relatable to your country; because you don't know it like Japan does.Well A) Smash is about equal satisfaction between countries, 2) countries have different tastes, including when it comes to games, and D) if it wasn't for A, we would've never gotten Little Mac or Captain Falcon (Japan HATED Little Mac's reveal). And then you also complain it's just to advertise an upcoming international release. I'm sorry, but the competition in business is brutal; it's either kill or be killed. If it means Nintendo gets to stay alive just alittle bit longer to see our happy faces, then they will take their chances. I have my own little theory that bigger franchises are rewarded more reps BECAUSE they are bigger; this can give you a scale on how prevalent the franchise is in the Nintendo market. The biggest franchises in Nintendo's 1st-party market of the 2010s, are Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, and, yes, Fire Emblem.

It makes me sick that around this time of year, I see no one but Scrooges that don't see the logic behind Corrin's inclusion, and the hypocrisy in their hatred. I'm convinced at this point that Christmas truly is dead by looking at this fanbase's unsatiafaction. You know I can perfectly relate; I wanted Ninten (of all dumb choices) just so I could see how well he'd play as a mirror-opposite semi-clone, reflecting projectiles with PSI Shield instead of absorbing them with PSI Magnet. But you know what? I didn't get anything I wanted out of the DLC past Wave 2, and you don't see me kicking and screaming. If I can find the silver lining and find peace in these choices, then I expect every other decent Smash fan to do the same thing.

I've never been more disappointed in a fanbase that has been spoiled for almost three years... If Iwata is rolling in his grave...I don't even wanna finish that sentence.

You know what I find funny about Corrin's inclusion? FE: Fates centers its theme around choice. It was Nintendo's choice to ask Sakurai to do this for marketing sake. It was Sakurai's choice to agree with it, seeing he's already familiar with Fire Emblem, and is convinced he can pull off a unique fighting style for him. And according to my "Stephen Colbert logistics machine"...you do, indeed, have a choice in buying Corrin. Everyone acts up like they don't have a choice; "we must buy all the DLC, or else our game will be forever incomplete!" It ain't complete unless you make it so... I'm pretty sure that just went over your heads.

Have a Merry Christmas...and please appreciate what you get.
If I know anything from the community's history, it's that Corrin will eventually grow on us with the passage of time.
Also, like this post if you found the Home Alone reference.

Last edited:
Mario and Pokemon make sense because they are high grossing flagship franchises at least. Fire Emblem doesn't have an excuse. It's nowhere well known, It doesn't have those high sales and most of all: The goddamn characters that are flooding smash are all boring and the fan base has pretty much sealed the deal: I never want to even LOOK into Fire Emblem at this point.

And the fact Capcom and Sega get 2 reps while Namco only gets 1 is inexcusable.

Last edited:
Actually, yes, he did say that. Then he proceeded to add the "literally who" Corrin.
From Source Gaming's translation

"His specific wording here is “サービス,” literally “service.” While the definition of “service” in Japan does have its own nuances compared to what it means in English, I’m assuming based on context here that he’s referring to “fan service,” in reference to the ballot, although he never explicitly says this."

We ASSUMED Sakurai was talking the ballot and fan service. We know now that he was not. What he actually meant is up for debate. While he could have been talking about fan service, he could have been referring to many other things. In fact, it's likely that he used that specific wording on purpose for it to be ambiguous.

Sakurai made the reason for adding Corrin clear. "This batch of DLC fighters took more work than the fighters in the base game, and they all have their own especially unique characteristics and playstyles. Knowing this is the final update, I put in as much effort as I could, so please enjoy!"

First off, I'm flabbergasted beyond belief that of all things to complain about, you pick "it's another Fire Emblem character." Man, so we're complaining about an overly-represented franchise when we got like, I dunno, TWO OTHER OVER-REPRESENTED FRANCHISES!:4mario::4pikachu: And yet I see barely anyone bat an eye, and I see even less care. How about this: I will make a game where each franchise gets only one rep so that everyone can be happy. "Sorry, Luigi! We already have a Mario rep."

Or maybe there's another reason as to why you target Fire Emblem, out of all the other franchises. It's because it's more popular in Japan, isn't it? There's just something about the franchise that doesn't click as brightly in the English countries. Brudda',I hate to break it to you, but America isn't the center of everything. I know, I forgot Europe even existed before we learned Bayonetta was #1 in the Europe polls. I mean, if Europe isn't real, then how come Bayonetta won in the first place?? It's crazy, I tell you!

Or are you upset because it's just nothing but a straight-up advertising fad for a game yet to be internationally released? Lemme answer that question with another one: You know who else was an advertising fad for a game that was yet to be released?

Roy

IT'S OFFICIAL! WARNING! DO NOT BUY ROY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! DON'T EVEN INVOLVE HIM IN SMASH! HE'S NOTHING BUT A SHAMELESS CASH-IN WHO'S ONLY PURPOSE IS TO ADVERTISE A GAME THAT HAS YET TO BE REVIEWED BY CRITICS! I REPEAT: DO NOT BUY ROY!

Do you see where I'm getting at? All of these complaints have never sounded more hypocritical in my ears. You consider FE having too many reps out of the other top three represented franchises because the franchise isn't as relatable to your country; because you don't know it like Japan does.Well A) Smash is about equal satisfaction between countries, 2) countries have different tastes, including when it comes to games, and D) if it wasn't for A, we would've never gotten Little Mac or Captain Falcon (Japan HATED Little Mac's reveal). And then you also complain it's just to advertise an upcoming international release. I'm sorry, but the competition in business is brutal; it's either kill or be killed. If it means Nintendo gets to stay alive just alittle bit longer to see our happy faces, then they will take their chances. I have my own little theory that bigger franchises are rewarded more reps BECAUSE they are bigger; this can give you a scale on how prevalent the franchise is in the Nintendo market. The biggest franchises in Nintendo's 1st-party market of the 2010s, are Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, and, yes, Fire Emblem.

It makes me sick that around this time of year, I see no one but Scrooges that don't see the logic behind Corrin's inclusion, and the hypocrisy in their hatred. I'm convinced at this point that Christmas truly is dead by looking at this fanbase's unsatiafaction. You know I can perfectly relate; I wanted Ninten (of all dumb choices) just so I could see how well he'd play as a mirror-opposite semi-clone, reflecting projectiles with PSI Shield instead of absorbing them with PSI Magnet. But you know what? I didn't get anything I wanted out of the DLC past Wave 2, and you don't see me kicking and screaming. If I can find the silver lining and find peace in these choices, then I expect every other decent Smash fan to do the same thing.

I've never been more disappointed in a fanbase that has been spoiled for almost three years...

You know what I find funny about Corrin's inclusion? FE: Fates centers its theme around choice. It was Nintendo's choice to ask Sakurai to do this for marketing sake. It was Sakurai's choice to agree with it, seeing he's already familiar with Fire Emblem, and is convinced he can pull off a unique fighting style for him. And according to my "Stephen Colbert logistics machine"...you do, indeed, have a choice in buying Corrin. Everyone acts up like they don't have a choice; "we must buy all the DLC, or else our game will be forever incomplete!" It ain't complete unless you make it so... I'm pretty sure that just went over your heads.

I don't see how Roy is a promotional character for this game. Also keep in mind he came out as DLC before Corrin was announced. Also there are plenty of reasons to be upset about smash 4,
1. Awful single player modes (Smash Tour, Target Blast, not classic mode)
2. The removal of Target Blast
3. The removal of many stage builder features from Brawl.
4. Smash run having no customizable features, and being 3DS exclusive.
5. Lack of a proper single player that's worthy of being a successor to subspace emissary.

You know I actually thing #5 is the reason I despise smash 4 so much. Not because some of the characters I wanted didn't get in, but because there isn't anything fun to do in the game besides multiplayer. Now I would really like to know how I would feel about smash 4 if every character I wanted got in. Would I be happy that they all got in, or would my disappointment for lack of a fun single player overcome my happiness for having all my favorite characters in. Brawl had easily the best single player mode in any smash game, an adventure mode with cut scenes, however smash 4 didn't even come close to topping this, heck it didn't even top Melee and the original's single player modes. A crappy attempt at a board game and a 5 minute enemy beat em up are not worthy successors to an epic adventure mode with cut scenes.

Isn't it wonderful how we can bicker and argue about how some characters being added to the game suck/don't suck and how Smash 4 as a whole sucks/doesn't suck while the rest of the world is complaining about things like Ryu's side b because they can't roll behind it?

Last edited:
Looking at some of these ungrateful comments truly disgusts me.

Sakurai creating Smash 64 and continuing it up to Smash 4 is truly a blessing and I'll appreciate his work eternally.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was implying that Roy's debut in Melee was to advertise his debuting FE game, which was still in development in Japan, I think.
Roy's game was actually planned to release before Melee, but it's release date got pushed back. So while it was a bit of cross-promotion, it wasn't planned from the start to be a sneak-peak. Of course even if the game was planned to release after Melee he would have still probably been picked to be the Marth clone, what with t3h ph1r3 and all.

Tbh the ballot was a bit fishy to me they didn't even show any results except for saying bayonetta was #1 worldwide I'm not saying she wasn't but still and I think he said a vet was in the top 5 in the direct sorry if I'm wrong but it did seem under filling whats the problem with showing/saying the results

Tbh the ballot was a bit fishy to me they didn't even show any results except for saying bayonetta was #1 worldwide I'm not saying she wasn't but still and I think he said a vet was in the top 5 in the direct sorry if I'm wrong but it did seem under filling whats the problem with showing/saying the results
They aren't showing the results because they are likely going to use them for marketing data and to decide the roster of future Smash games, and you don't throw that stuff out there willy-nilly. Although, it'd be top kek to see how high Goku/Spongebob/Shrek/Freddy Fazbear/JOHN CENA got up there.

Mario and Pokemon make sense because they are high grossing flagship franchises at least. Fire Emblem doesn't have an excuse. It's nowhere well known, It doesn't have those high sales and most of all: The goddamn characters that are flooding smash are all boring and the fan base has pretty much sealed the deal: I never want to even LOOK into Fire Emblem at this point.

And the fact Capcom and Sega get 2 reps while Namco only gets 1 is inexcusable.
Again, Because he complained about :4mario:&:4pikachu:

At least those are iconic flagship franchises. Fire Emblem only leaves plenty of gamers asking "Who the **** is that?"

My first guess would automatically be that they wanna keep the leftover results for the next game. Even if you're certain there won't be another installment, you gotta always play safe.

Last edited:

Roy

I've never been more disappointed in a fanbase that has been spoiled for almost three years... If Iwata is rolling in his grave...I don't even wanna finish that sentence.

If I know anything from the community's history, it's that Corrin will eventually grow on to us with the passage of time.
1. Yes, no one ****ing complains about Mario and Pokemon reps cause their Nintendos biggest franchise and still are so them having a lot of reps is justifiable. Of course Its popular in Japan, just like any other RPG with an anime art style and need I remind you FE would be dead if it weren't for awakening

2. Roy was only in Smash 4 cause people wanted his unoriginal ass back and it's no ****ing coincedence that both are FE reps. Until I see a character from an unreleased game thats not Fire Emblem, this argument is irrelevant.

3. As for a fanbase being spoiled for talking **** about someone who created one the most popular franchises and proceeds to **** it up, I'm pretty sure we're seeing the same **** with Star Wars again. Ironic seeing how both franchises have incompetent directors and are being driven into the ground by advertisers.

Last edited:
Again, Because he complained about :4mario:&:4pikachu:

At least those are iconic flagship franchises. Fire Emblem only leaves plenty of gamers asking "Who the **** is that?"
You're already ignoring the other instances where it's been like that. What about Marth's reveal in Melee? Can you explain at the top of your head what contribution he made in the FE saga? Also, a lot of Japan forgot Punch-Out even existed, so many were scratching their heads as to who the **** this little runt was. If too many "who's dat guy?" characters are your problem, then I can play devil's advocate, and remove all FE reps. No, REMOVE ALL REFERENCES TO FIRE EMBLEM FROM SMASH. See how happy the world will be, then!

Top Bottom