• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Discusses the Final DLC Choices

In a brand new Famitsu Column, translated by Source Gaming, Sakurai discusses his selection of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta for the final DLC on Smash for Wii U/ 3DS.

He begins with Cloud,

Having a representative from Final Fantasy is an amazing feat! And the character that was the overwhelming favorite among the cast of Final Fantasy was Cloud. Wielding his massive Buster Sword with ease in one hand, he has speed, reach, and power. If left unadjusted, he’d definitely be overpowered. After thinking about how I would approach this character, I decided his swordsmanship style would utilize the concept of “swinging through,” which is exemplified in his forward smash. This move has Cloud build up some power before swing three times at high speed. It maintains his speed and reach, but is balanced by having a window of vulnerability before the attack. And he’s fast, but his recovery is weak.
He continues with Corrin,

After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing. I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character.
To read the rest of the interview, check out the full translation on Source Gaming.

PushDustIn is excited for these upcoming characters. Who do you look forward to? Sound off on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Yeah, I didn't want to get in a subjective argument again. He's like his own entity and would represent a whole other franchise.

Paper Mario, Captain Toad and Inkling... such unique characters; I would be shocked if they all weren't included in the next Smash game.

Yeah; they need to take the garbage characters out of the game and actually put some worthy ones in there.
How are you gonna call other characters garbage and then advocate for another Mario character when the game is overloaded with them?
Gee Bill, why does Sakurai let Mario have TWO clones?

How are you gonna call other characters garbage and then advocate for another Mario character when the game is overloaded with them?
Gee Bill, why does Sakurai let Mario have TWO clones?
Because Paper Mario is a unique character. No one cares FE is overloaded but then people would complain when a worthy character gets included from Nintendo's most popular franchise (plus, he would represent his own)?

I mean, your two points don't really have much to do with each other (garbage characters and another Mario character).

I do have a soft spot for clone characters no matter how silly they are, but at the end of the day they're just there for people to get attached to and then removed from the next game.

Also, Paper Mario is not a clone. I don't think you know what a clone is.

Because Paper Mario is a unique character. No one cares FE is overloaded but then people would complain when a worthy character gets included from Nintendo's most popular franchise (plus, he would represent his own)?

I mean, your two points don't really have much to do with each other (garbage characters and another Mario character).

I do have a soft spot for clone characters no matter how silly they are, but at the end of the day they're just there for people to get attached to and then removed from the next game.

Also, Paper Mario is not a clone. I don't think you know what a clone is.
How would Paper Mario fight? Explain this to me. Please. I'd love to hear this. At the end of the day they're going to play like Mario, because if they didn't it wouldn't be Mario at all.
I see you as the type of person to complain about Corrin getting added but then advocate for a series that has a ton of representation, which explains the point of garbage characters.

How would Paper Mario fight? Explain this to me. Please. I'd love to hear this. At the end of the day they're going to play like Mario, because if they didn't it wouldn't be Mario at all.
I see you as the type of person to complain about Corrin getting added but then advocate for a series that has a ton of representation, which explains the point of garbage characters.
Have you ever played Paper Mario? Each party member could be a move, and he uses a dash attack and a hammer. Literally it is perfect. Parakarry can be his recovery, Bow his shield, Bombette or Kooper down-B; he even has a party member who tattles similarly to Snake's codec or Palutena's Guidance. Final Smash = Star Spirits. All I can say is go play the games and you will understand. There would literally be no similarities to regular Mario other than jumping, because he doesn't even exhibit any of his other Smash moves in Paper Mario, and there is no way to clone him.

Me wanting Paper Mario is just personal bias. Both the FE and Mario franchises have obviously reached their character cap for this game, but Paper Mario is arguably its own franchise. Both Corrin and Paper Mario are unique characters, I just prefer Paper Mario due to personal bias.

I still don't get the thing about garbage characters, but I guess I was speaking stupidly. Yes, I'm aware clone characters are just free bonus characters since they have enough time to only develop them and not a full new character. I'm indifferent to them, but I guess they're better than nothing.

Last edited:
I'm wonder if the Fire Emblem Characters in the next Smash could be related with the Ballot and no only with relevancy/recency.

So? If Link can have Toon Link then mario can have paper Mario. It makes perfect since.

Now I want Paper Mario in Smash 5.:glare:
Toon Link is a Link from the MAIN SERIES games, unlike Paper mario is a mario from the main series mario games.

He's the main character to many main series Zelda games.

I think that makes a considerable difference to paper mario who is the main character to a spinoff series that has turned into a cmeo for the Mario and Luigi RPGs (Who apparently seem to be more popular).

Now: Dr. Mario is also a spinoff character so it comes down to: luck.

To get an obscure character comes down to luck.

that's all really :p

Top Bottom