• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Discusses the Final DLC Choices

In a brand new Famitsu Column, translated by Source Gaming, Sakurai discusses his selection of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta for the final DLC on Smash for Wii U/ 3DS.

He begins with Cloud,

Having a representative from Final Fantasy is an amazing feat! And the character that was the overwhelming favorite among the cast of Final Fantasy was Cloud. Wielding his massive Buster Sword with ease in one hand, he has speed, reach, and power. If left unadjusted, he’d definitely be overpowered. After thinking about how I would approach this character, I decided his swordsmanship style would utilize the concept of “swinging through,” which is exemplified in his forward smash. This move has Cloud build up some power before swing three times at high speed. It maintains his speed and reach, but is balanced by having a window of vulnerability before the attack. And he’s fast, but his recovery is weak.
He continues with Corrin,

After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing. I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character.
To read the rest of the interview, check out the full translation on Source Gaming.

PushDustIn is excited for these upcoming characters. Who do you look forward to? Sound off on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

It's funny how people are calling this a fishy contest presenting no proof whatsoever just because the character they voted for didn't win.

Let's be glad the last character wasn't promoting Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Then that would put the nail in the coffin for most Metroid content in Smash 4 being based on divisive/controversial games over Prime.
I actually have no quiff with Federation Force....sure, upon it's announcement I was a little disappointed (actually a lot, but that's besides the point), but I'm not gonna go out of my way with my torch and pitchfork to have the game cancelled like a bunch of other entitled morons...Like Nintendo listens anways...I just think the game suffers from some terrible timing...if it were announced along side a Prime 4, or another sidescrolling title, nobody would have a problem with it...

I actually want to know what's going on with the game...I want to know more about it before I decide to want to play it or to not bother in the first place rather than just brush it off as crap due to my first impression...just remember games like Metroid Prime and Wind Waker weren't too well recieved upon their initial announcements either...I doubt it's gonna live up to those games in particular, but I'm sure you get my point regardless...

Last edited:
Sakurai should learn to not make promises he can't keep in a world of big business. "From now on, everything will be fan service"... "After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game." He just sounds like a puppet now.

So he basically said that he felt there were too many FE characters but Nintendo really wanted a character to promote a new game. That's where vision clashes with business, and that's where things get tricky.

Why didn't they care before that none of the previous DLC characters had anything to promote (except Cloud, for your rival company lol), but now there's this sudden "OMG, we need a money-grab character in there"? Couldn't there have at least been a new game to promote that didn't have too many reps? I guess it was either Corrin or Paper Mario; take your pick at whatever franchise you want to overload. I guess Sakurai's heart was in the right place, but ultimately the higher-ups took over.

I hope I'm not misreading things. I'm assuming by logistics, he means the "higher-ups" involvement.

I think for the Inkling, Splatoon's advertising campaign is over, so I think they want to promote something that has a close upcoming release date.

K.Rool: Not relevant.
No **** K. Rool is not relevant anymore. Who said a character had to be relevant to be in Smash? :rob:, :4duckhunt:, :gawmelee:... even:4falcon: at this day in age.

Its a little unfair that only 1 cut brawl vet got back. When Sakurai chose the Melee and Brawl vets, 2 other cut Melee vets had already gotten in the game.

If they didn't include him solely for that reason despite the massive fan demand. I've lost some faith in Nintendo.
Faith and respect. All I got from this interview was $$$.

Character slots do not exist.
I disagree. If they didn't develop Corrin, they would've had time to develop a whole new character instead. If they didn't create Lucina, they would've had time to clone another character instead.

I still find it mind boggling that when they were looking for characters to promote upcoming releases, they passed over Wolf, who was a veteran from Brawl.
Really wish he would say something regarding Wolf and to an extent, Snake.
Is Wolf in the new game?

Last edited:
It's funny how people are calling this a fishy contest presenting no proof whatsoever just because the character they voted for didn't win.
Well, considering that Sakurai provided statistics for Bayonetta for NA and Europe, but not Japan, you can't help but feel as though she didn't perform well in that region.
But what do I know. I'm just looking for excuses.

Here's the thing though...Adding any character for promotional/marketing/advertisement purposes is questionable in the base roster, and flat-out a bad idea for DLC...
I know. I think Corrin is much worse as a DLC character than if he was included in the base roster.

You know, what bugs me is how people don't look at Corrin as a character, but instead they look at him as a Fire Emblem character. Corrin could have been the exact same character in every way but if he came from some new series all you people would be raving about how new and unique he is with the chainsaw-sword and dragon transformations and what new ways to Smash he brings to the table.

Since when did Smash start being about series instead of characters?
You do have somewhat of a point, but any character can be unique. Just look at what they did with Bowser Jr. You are essentially saying you would have no issue if the game was 50 Fire Emblem characters as long as it was good?

If we had to get another Fire Emblem, it should have been Lyn, not another avatar.
Too bad she is in Assist Trophy Hell next to Takamaru, Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, and a few other possible good choices. Forget Sakurai being the crusher of dreams, the Assist Trophy is the true monster that dashed our hopes since Brawl.

You can even tell by that sinister aura and its hauntingly evil eyes.

I think for the Inkling, Splatoon's advertising campaign is over, so I think they want to promote something that has a close upcoming release date.
Exactly what I was worried about. Their disclusion is something I will never live down now. Very VERY poor decision IMO. ((I could have tolerated it... If they replaced the Mii Gunner effects. Inklings don't shoot fire.))

Last edited:
D
Well I got my awnsers he chose Corrin to have a modern Nintendo series represented Fire Emblem: Fates fits that critaria, Bayonetta was a recognizable but easy to work in character still, would have wanted K. Rool or Inklings instead but I'm good with these choices.

Well, some things to note are that:
-Bayonetta didn't seem to be dominating discussion anywhere, including the Bayonetta board on Smashboards. Those casual gamers who don't watch directs or use forums must really love that Umbra Witch.
-We know that Sakurai is friends with Kamiya. He could've put in Bayonetta for his friend. Even Kamiya told smash fans to **** off when constantly asked about Wonder Red and/or Bayonetta for Smash.
-Sakurai has recently shown interest in a diverse third party cast, boasting of Cloud and wanting to work on a game with Ryu in it.
-Sakurai voiced difficulties with implementing Bayonetta that were in line with what everyone else said about why she couldn't be in Smash (realistic guns, too sexual, too lewd/vulgar). Yet even so, she was the more reasonable character to implement over:
K. Rool
Banjo & Kazooie
Steve
Ridley
Isaac
Krystal
Snake
Wolf
Inklings
Bandana Waddle Dee
etc.

Granted, many of the characters above do have potential glaring issues with their inclusion, but a few of them, like Isaac, K. Rool, or Waddle Dee, shouldn't have had too many issues regarding them. Baring that in mind, Bayonettas' inclusion does seem a bit fishy to some. But hey, maybe she did win the ballot. It's not like I'm any the wiser.

Last edited:
No one talks about it, but don't count out Ridley in the top 5. He may have won the whole thing, but Sakurai himself even said he's not "realizable" in his eyes.

I think Indie characters were held off for a reason. ((Sorry Giana)) after all, people wanted SHOVEL KNIGHT who isn't even in Japan yet.

I don't think 1.8 million is all that low considering how Smash 4 3DS sold roughly 7.5 million. Think about it about it this way: nearly 1/4th of people who bought the game cared enough to vote in the "election" with debatable real world consequences given the sheer number of choices of that were likely to be snubbed. I think that's pretty good overall.

Too bad she is in Assist Trophy Hell next to Takamaru, Waluigi, Ashley, Midna, and a few other possible good choices. Forget Sakurai being the crusher of dreams, the Assist Trophy is the true monster that dashed our hopes since Brawl.

Alfonzo can just take over if Lyn is in battle.

"Leave it to me!"

It would be interesting to know the individual sales of each DLC fighter. To me, adding a brand new character most fans don't know (Corrin) as promotional DLC is a horrible idea. Most people will just say "Who is that?", and then just not buy him. He should've been in the base roster if anything, that way you're just stuck looking at him no matter what, like Roy in Melee.

Last edited:

That...thing is the eater of souls and dreams...may it one day die a horrible death as it releases it's captives from it's horrendous prison...

Midna, Dark Samus, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Waluigi, Ashley
May you one day ascend into greatness and not second best-ness...

I disagree. If they didn't develop Corrin, they would've had time to develop a whole new character instead. If they didn't create Lucina, they would've had time to clone another character instead.
You do know how clones work right?
And that she was pretty much already done as a alternate costume before they decided she fit better as a character right?
And that there is zero possability they could have included another character if they cut Lucina right?
You do have somewhat of a point, but any character can be unique. Just look at what they did with Bowser Jr.
No not every character can be unique. Otherwise we'd have Crom in the game. Also, Dark Pit for example. It is impossible to maintain his character from his own series (he is literally a clone of Pit) and have him be more than slightly distinct from Pit. Corrin on the other hand is instantly unique, interesting, and most importantly fun. Having Bowser Jr. use the vehicle he shows up in for many in-game appearances isn't exactly a difficult conclusion to come to either.
You are essentially saying you would have no issue if the game was 50 Fire Emblem characters as long as it was good?
No I am not saying that, that's a false dichotomy. This is still Smash Bros. not Fighter Emblem. What I am saying is that Corrin is a character who looks like he will be fun to play in Smash in ways that couldn't be played before. Now if hypothetically there was more DLC, I would take issue with more Fire Emblem characters but that's just because I think there are more interesting character concepts in different franchises.

Last edited:
I feel like I could make an argument for confirmation bias on this theory, but it does make a bit of sense.
Only a little because, as you can tell by my join date, I was here for the duration of Brawl and SSB4 speculation. If I was bored enough to go trudging through the archives, I could pull up posts that said the things that I said in my post word for word from back in 2008. The thing that still floors me is how many people are still calling for Sakurai to forcibly retire despite so many of the problems people had with Brawl being fixed: better online, better character balance, the removal of gliding, tripping, and chain grabs, etc. Different year, many of the same complaints.

So we get a character from a soon to be released game from a franchise that has many reps already, instead of getting a character from a BRAND NEW IP! And is very popular. Rip inkling.

Last edited:
Only a little because, as you can tell by my join date, I was here for the duration of Brawl and SSB4 speculation. If I was bored enough to go trudging through the archives, I could pull up posts that said the things that I said in my post word for word from back in 2008. The thing that still floors me is how many people are still calling for Sakurai to forcibly retire despite so many of the problems people had with Brawl being fixed: better online, better character balance, the removal of gliding, tripping, and chain grabs, etc. Different year, many of the same complaints.
No, you don't understand, everybody is missing the actual greatest outrage in Smash 4. The best part of Brawl that was cruelly torn away from us.

People can be glad that now exist the possibility to see a Smash in the future without Fire Emblem newcomers...

I'm will continue supporting Micaiah in this corner :nifty:

No not every character can be unique. Otherwise we'd have Crom in the game. Also, Dark Pit for example. It is impossible to maintain his character from his own series (he is literally a clone of Pit) and have him be more than slightly distinct from Pit.
Chrom could've implemented abilities from Fire Emblem into his moveset, or used things like axes or lances, or maybe he even could've fought on a horse. Dark Pit could've used some of the many different skills and weapons that Pit and Palutena didn't use.

Last edited:
You do know how clones work right?
And that she was pretty much already done as a alternate costume before they decided she fit better as a character right?
And that there is zero possability they could have included another character if they cut Lucina right?
I am just saying in the most general sense that if they spent x amount of hours on Lucina, they could've spent x amount of hours on someone else. I don't get how this can be debated. I just spent the last hour on Smashboards, but I could've spent the last hour doing something else.

They could've included another clone character not if they cut Lucina, but if they didn't develop her at all. Maybe I'm just thinking in the wrong context.

No, you don't understand, everybody is missing the actual greatest outrage in Smash 4. The best part of Brawl that was cruelly torn away from us.
Probably was a frame rate issue, same with the Ice Climbers. I remember even in Brawl that the game would lag if too many people were using the fan at once (not to mention it was hilariously broken). Both should make a glorious comeback in Smash 5.

I know he can do it, but I can't think Sakurai doesn't realize how he became possessive with this franchise.

So, what about who people wanted? I'm not talking Bayonetta was not wanted.But even they said she was not the most wanted.
So why ask us in the first place ?
It's like he want us to believe he is listening to us, but isn't.

I have a great respect for Sakurai as a game developer.
Really... his games are awesome and Smash Bros is one of the best franchises out there.
But why can't he let the fanbase have any power at all ?
Nobody is complaining about Wii Fit Trainer anymore, so why can't we get both something that is a product of his mind, and someone we're expecting ?

Nothing justifies the presence of : Wii Fit Trainer AND Duck Hunt AND Dark Pit AND Shulk when the most wanted newcomers were completely ignored.
What about K.Rool, Ridley, or Inkling now as DLC.
They're not in, because Sakurai want to build a game where he works with most popular franchises as possible.
The community never asked for a Gaming All-Stars.
This is all about what Sakurai wanted all along.
And the damn "surprise effect".
The surprise is good only when really surprises you.Now we know how it's done, the surprise effects fade out.

EDIT: "Slots don't exists" << that's BS

Last edited:
I know he can do it, but I can't think Sakurai doesn't realize how he became possessive with this franchise.

So, what about who people wanted? I'm not talking Bayonetta was not wanted.But even they said she was not the most wanted.

I have a great respect for Sakurai as a game developer.
Really... his games are awesome and Smash Bros is one of the best franchises out there.
But why can't he let the fanbase have any power at all ?
Nobody is complaining about Wii Fit Trainer anymore, so why can't we get both something that is a product of his mind, and someone we're expecting ?

Nothing justifies the presence of : Wii Fit Trainer AND Duck Hunt AND Dark Pit AND Shulk when the most wanted newcomers were completely ignored.
They're not in, because Sakurai want to build a game where he works with most popular franchises as possible.
The surprise is good only when really surprises you.Now we know how it's done, the surprise effects fade out.
Honestly, if we got more fan favorites, I wouldn't mind it being both. If we got Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings, then by all means, make Smash a celebration of gaming history as a whole. I just want him to keep in mind that it started as a celebration of Nintendo history first.

Don't forget about the mii costume curse, rest in peace K. Roll, Inkling, Monster Hunter, Viridi, Geno and everyone else.

I'm not saying I don't want iconic gaming characters in Smash.
But it was once a "Nintendo all-Stars"
So why the major villain of one of the best Nintendo franchises not there ? A important one, in story of videogames.

Ryu + K.Rool
Pacman + Inkling
Cloud + Someone new from Star Fox or Kirby.

Why only the left side ?

Chrom could've implemented abilities from Fire Emblem into his moveset, or used things like axes or lances, or maybe he even could've fought on a Horse. Dark Pit could've used some of the many different skills and weapons that Pit and Palutena didn't use.
There are two problems with that though.
  1. Chrom isn't a primary axe or lance user, nor is he primarily a horse rider. Almost every depiction of him, including his appearance in Smash, is with the Parallel Falchion. Having him any other way would be like having Cloud use anything other than the Buster Sword because he can use other weapons in his game. It just doesn't work out. I saw this same thing when people were talking about how Issac could use other weapons as swords. But again Issac is not primarily a sword user, and if you have to stretch to make a character work it generally isn't best to do so. Which leads to...
  2. Time and effort. I agree he could have made Crom work if he tried hard enough, but that's the thing. It would have been much, much harder. Even Ridley could have worked according to Sakurai, but it would have taken too much time and too much effort. And this, more so than the first reason, is really why Robin was selected over Chrom.
Dark Pit was never planned to be his own character initially so that's another subject entirely. But still his character is defined in relation to Pit, and as such his moveset needs to be to some degree as well.
I am just saying in the most general sense that if they spent x amount of hours on Lucina, they could've spent x amount of hours on someone else. I don't get how this can be debated. I just spent the last hour on Smashboards, but I could've spent the last hour doing something else.

They could've included another clone character not if they cut Lucina, but if they didn't develop her at all. Maybe I'm just thinking in the wrong context.
Lucina was already planned to be an alternate costume for Marth. At some point in development the differences between them grew to the point where she needed to be a separate character. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were never planned to be their own characters, so they didn't take anyone's spot. Furthermore, clones take incredibly less work to make then a regular character. For example, if they cut every single clone from melee they wouldn't even have enough time to add one non-clone character. So the most Lucina booted out of the way was some Trophies.

Last edited:
User was warned for this post
Well even better reason to not get this peice of **** character thats basically Roy 2.0 and even more of a reason to for me to despise that weaboo trash thats called Fire Emblem. Its no ****ing coincidence that Nintendo wants to shove this crap down our throats and Sakurai is a tool for allowing this to happen. Iwata is rolling in his ****ing grave.

Well even better reason to not get this peice of **** character thats basically Roy 2.0 and even more of a reason to for me to despise that weaboo trash thats called Fire Emblem. Its no ****ing coincidence that Nintendo wants to shove this crap down our throats and Sakurai is a tool for allowing this to happen. Iwata is rolling in his ****ing grave.
Yo remember that part in Melee when Roy turned into a Dragon?

Corrin's totally just like Roy.

No **** K. Rool is not relevant anymore. Who said a character had to be relevant to be in Smash? :rob:, :4duckhunt:, :gawmelee:... even:4falcon: at this day in age.
Sakurai said himself lol.

EDIT: "Slots don't exists" << that's BS
But why can't he let the fanbase have any power at all?
Becuase he doesn't want to give them an inch and then the fanbase take it a mile, aka, bending to the fanbase's wants.

There is a reason he mentioned "among negotiable and realizable characters" when he said Bayonetta was number 1.

Wii Fit Trainer: Bruh, you can't be serious. Did see how much that **** sold and how much it did for the Wii? She was also this game's "Surprise character", much like you said,

Duck Hunt: This game's retro character.

Shulk: Mostly timing from the Xenoblade Chronicles release in NA from what I can gather.

Dark Pit: Sakurai already said that they had him in the game but decided to make him differentiate from Pit, same with Lucina.

K.Rool: Like I said before, relevancy.

Ridley: Sakurai has already said why, lol.

Inkling: Gameplay reasons I'd imagine. It would be probably too hard to incorporate the idea of having the entire stage covered in ink to traverse around the stage in, especially with the 3DS version.

And also, the community has most definetly been asking for a gaming All-stars, and it has only gotten bigger since Brawl after :snake: and :sonic: were introduced.

1.It's a video game
2.It's optiontional so you dont have to buy it
3.If your this upset over a completly unique character being in a game with 57 other possible characters for you to play as.I literally have no words
4.I don't think you even read the article

1. Many people like FE

2. Even if you don't like the game that's not a real reason to hate it

3. Stop being salty that your character didn't win the smash ballot. I don't see you doing any programming.

Top Bottom