• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Sakurai Discusses Fire Emblem

WARNING: Inside the actual translation, Sakurai does spoil parts of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War and Fire Emblem: Fates. Source Gaming has added spoiler tags for answers that contains those spoilers, and none are included in this post.

With 6 characters in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, Fire Emblem is playing an increasingly important role in the Super Smash Bros. series. Sakurai took a moment to discuss his own personal history with Fire Emblem in the 25th Anniversary book that was released in Japan. This is the first part of Sakurai's interview from that collection. The second part, which discusses Fire Emblem representation in Smash, can be read here. It was posted before the Final Smash Broadcast.

Interviewer: Please tell us about how you first encountered Fire Emblem.

Sakurai: I think that Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (henceforth referred to as Shadow Dragon (NES)) was released before I’d spent a year at HAL Labs, and I was really drawn to the spritework and animation. That feeling of satisfaction when a pirate cleanly hits with his axe (laughs).
Interviewer: So Fates has the Birthright route and the Conquest route, which one fit your style?

Sakurai: For me it was clearly the Birthright route. This is just for me, of course, but because I had Fire Emblem Festival, I really had to rush. So I had to really focus a bit more on the story.

Remember to subscribe to Source Gaming on Facebook or Twitter!

Support Source Gaming on patreon!

What are your thoughts on the Fire Emblem series? Let us know in the comments!

It was your fate to follow PushDustIn on Twitter!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Why does that bother you? If it's about representation, FE easily has as many if not more characters.
It's not about the amount of characters. It's that Pokemon is many times as popular as Fire Emblem both in Japan and worldwide, and yet both franchises are equal in Smash, Pokeballs aside. Nintendo is trying really hard to push Fire Emblem on us, and I don't appreciate it. (I'm also kinda salty about Wolf remaining cut).

Its sad that they did not get what they wanted, but I just don't like the complaining.
I mean, they still have the right to though.

Most people's first reaction to getting slapped in the face isn't wanting to thank the person who slapped them.
Plus, this is no charity.

So... what part of this interview was actually new? I can't find the quoted sections at all within the article. PushDustIn PushDustIn , what's up with this?

Let's be real here. Most of the complaints about smash 4's gameplay are nonexistent in most of the Fire Emblem representatives. They don't have cheesy combos, they don't have truckloads of guaranteed throw followups, and most of them can't projectile camp.

There is no dthrow > 50 utilts > 50 uairs > up b or fair trains with these characters.

These projectile-less sword characters are complete oddballs in smash 4 because they can neither rush down opponents, nor can they camp out opponents, nor can they lock them in a series of uninspired repetitive combos the way most of the rest of the cast, especially top tiers, can.

If you ask me, that makes FE characters super important to smash 4.

Of all the matchups I've ever played in this game, the most fun I have (win or lose) is when I play a match where both fighters have to really make every move count. It just so happens that these matches are often (but not always) FE battles.

It really is a bare bones experience when you have to make every pixel count and you're not helped/hindered by a library of traits that make up some of the core reasons why people criticize this game (aside from the mechanics).

Instead of recognizing this, people just decide to moan about there being too many FE characters in smash instead of appreciating the fact that they (in my opinion) exemplify the things that make this game fun, without many of the things that make this game unbearable.

FE is one of the strongest Nintendo franchises at the moment and it's been around for quite a while. If you can't handle that then I don't know what to tell you.

Where's Wolf?
Where's Snake?
Where's King K. Rool?
Where's Isaac?
Where's the Ice Climbers?
Where's Dixie Kong?
Where's Mach Rider?
Where's Blaziken?
Where's Impa?
Where's Paper Mario?
Where's Bandana Dee?
Where's Banjo?
Where's Ridley?
Where's Chibi-Robo?

Sakurai obviously is biased against his own series and Fire Emblem! This isn't the game that I wanted and the characters that should be in! This is not that Smash game I wanted! Sakurai obviously doesn't care about the fan base or else Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Duck Hunt, and all of the clones wouldn't of made it in! If you disagree with me, then you are not a TRUE SMASH FAN!

About time Sakurai retires and digs a hole into obscurity and let someone who will obviously create a Smash game exactly to what I want it to be.

/sarcasm

I mean, they still have the right to though.

Plus, this is no charity.

So... what part of this interview was actually new? I can't find the quoted sections at all within the article. PushDustIn PushDustIn , what's up with this?
Sorry! What happened was that the second link was messed up, and I, like a fool, copied the link to the 2nd part of the interview which was posted before. Sorry for the late response, I was sleeping.

I've fixed the mistake, and here's the correct link.

Where's Wolf?
Where's Snake?
Where's King K. Rool?
Where's Isaac?
Where's Dixie Kong?
Where's Mach Rider?
Where's Blaziken?
Where's Impa?
Where's Paper Mario?
Where's Bandana Dee?
Where's Banjo?
Where's Ridley?
Where's Chibi-Robo?

Sakurai obviously is biased against his own series and Fire Emblem! This isn't the game that I wanted and the characters that should be in! This is not that Smash game I wanted! Sakurai obviously doesn't care about the fan base or else Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Duck Hunt, and all of the clones wouldn't of made it in! If you disagree with me, then you are not a TRUE SMASH FAN!

About time Sakurai retires and digs a hole into obscurity and let someone who will obviously create a Smash game exactly to what I want it to be.

/sarcasm
While I dislike Cloud and Corrin, plus the Marth Trio. This is overreacting... And people have actually done this, even going far to quit the game just because of their inclusion.

I'm just gonna drop by and say I like how Fire Emblem has gotten more reps in Smash since I am a huge fan of the series and I must say I enjoy playing as all five of them though I main three of them (:4lucina:, :4marth:and :4feroy:) and I welcome :4corrin:/:4corrinf: with open arms, whom I'm definitely gonna pick up as one of my mains when he/she comes out next month.

And with that, have a nice day!

Last edited:
Some people really despise the newer Fire Emblem characters, and that's fine, but I can't see why they can't just ignore them if that is the case. It's similar to the reactions people had to Lucky Chloe's announcement for Tekken 7, albeit the negative reactions here are less extreme. If you don't like a certain character, then nobody is forcing anyone to play as that character, or in Corrin's case, buy him as DLC.

I actually do want Wolf to show up in a new Smash game eventually, simply because he was a really fun character to play as in Brawl. While the chances for anyone else being confirmed as DLC for Smash 4 are slim, it's likely that a sixth Smash game will be announced for the Nintendo NX in a few years time, so all of those characters tha seemingly everyone wants to see again have good chances.

Roy is kind of unique, He has some new things added to him and he looks different. I think if they were to remove a FE character it would be :4lucina:. I like her and all, but she's just :4marth: honestly.

I still see your point though.
:4feroy: needs further decloning because even with his okay-ish tweaks, he still has his Marth roots.

:4lucina: being a training wheels :4marth: was a bad idea with good intentions.
She'd probably do better as a speedy:4myfriends: clone/semi-clone.

I bet if the public voted for Wrys to be in Sm4sh, Samurai still would've chosen some other awful character...

Yes, I'm salty as hell that Snake, Knuckles, and Wolf aren't all in Sm4sh. It's turning into a bad version of Soul Calibur with all these sword fighters...

Honestly, the things I notice is that Smash 4 Roy may have slightly altered animations, but gameplay-wise, I find that he feels a lot more like a Marth clone than he ever has. It goes from more similar angles (mostly noticeable with d-tilt for example). The other reasob is mostly due to the physics engine as their falling speeds are less different.

However, I have no issues with FE representation, I welcome it. Though I think that they could take a page from PM when decloning. Keep what made the character unique and special and changed underused animations.

This article basically explain in one of the spoilers why you will actually need the aime-like thing :v

I'm okay with the Fire Emblem Representation... Personally the only thing that bother me about Corrin isn't the MUH REPRESENTATION or whatever... the thing that actually bothers me is what his/her existence in this game could mean... Specially for the Future Fire Emblem.

I'm afraid of what might happen in the following franchise's games... both Smash Bros and Fire Emblem, specially Fire Emblem. Because the little weird things that are mostly "optional" (but neccesary if you want a good Turn-score) could evolve in worse things. :dizzy:

:c

Honestly, the things I notice is that Smash 4 Roy may have slightly altered animations, but gameplay-wise, I find that he feels a lot more like a Marth clone than he ever has. It goes from more similar angles (mostly noticeable with d-tilt for example). The other reasob is mostly due to the physics engine as their falling speeds are less different.

However, I have no issues with FE representation, I welcome it. Though I think that they could take a page from PM when decloning. Keep what made the character unique and special and changed underused animations.
Well... I saw people saying that he works similar too Melee!Marth but with different hitboxes and sour/sweet spots.

Where's Wolf?
Where's Snake?
Where's King K. Rool?
Where's Isaac?
Where's Dixie Kong?
Where's Mach Rider?
Where's Blaziken?
Where's Impa?
Where's Paper Mario?
Where's Bandana Dee?
Where's Banjo?
Where's Ridley?
Where's Chibi-Robo?

/sarcasm
Duck Hunt is cool... lol!

I feel like some people aren't really grateful with what they have. I understand not being completely happy with the results of the ballot, but I know tons of people who are saying they are going to quit smash because Snake did not get in. .
I hate this argument so much. I've seen it used in two different contexts already (the other being a defence for this month's PS Plus games being bad), and it's dumb in both.
Why do you act like this is a charity? You know we paid money for this game, right? Don't we have the right to voice our displeasement? I agree, quiting smash because of this is dumb, but so is treating
this like a charity.

Last edited:
Sometimes this community is total garbage with these flame wars like jesus christ this is a fire emblem discussion and people are stating the dictionary term for "salty". just please

I hate this argument so much. I've seen it used in two different contexts already (the other being a defence for this month's PS Plus games being bad), and it's dumb in both.
Why do you act like this is a charity? You know we paid money for this game, right. Don't we have the right to voice our displeasement? I agree, quiting smash because of this is dumb, but so is treating l
this like a charity.
It baffles me that people even bring this up, and that we have to even waste breath explaining it to them. **** gratefulness. This is a multi-billion dollar franchise we are dealing with here. Once you realize the only relationship you have with Sakurai is a dollar bill, you can forget anything you thought about gratefulness.

:4feroy: needs further decloning because even with his okay-ish tweaks, he still has his Marth roots.

:4lucina: being a training wheels :4marth: was a bad idea with good intentions.
She'd probably do better as a speedy:4myfriends: clone/semi-clone.
Actually, they could have made Chrom a fast Ike would. It would of been more original. but :4lucina: was added due to time constraints.

Last edited:
Sometimes this community is total garbage with these flame wars like jesus christ this is a fire emblem discussion and people are stating the dictionary term for "salty". just please
This community is like kindergarten compared to some of the other fan communities. At least we are fairly civil with each other and death threats are treated seriously by staff members. This community is far from being total garbage. Save for small spots here and there; it's still a welcoming and great community.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna drop by and say I like how Fire Emblem has gotten more reps in Smash since I am a huge fan of the series and I must say I enjoy playing as all five of them though I main three of them (:4lucina:, :4marth:and :4feroy:) and I welcome :4corrin:/:4corrinf: with open arms, whom I'm definitely gonna pick up as one of my mains when he/she comes out next month.

And with that, have a nice day!
But what about the non-FE fans?

This community is like kindergarten compared to some of the other fan communities. At least we are fairly civil with each other and death threats are treated seriously by staff members. This community is far from being total garbage. Save for small spots here and there; it's still a welcoming and great community.
i dont really look at other communities so i'm not very educated in that.

Actually, they could have made Chrom a fast Ike would. It would of been more original. but :4lucina: was added due to time constraints.
I'm quite aware of the clone trio situation. If anything, :4lucina: being a speedy :4myfriends: clone/semi-clone would've lessened the damage.

i dont really look at other communities so i'm not very educated in that.
Given that Smash is a competetive game (any game that involves more than one person competing for a score); its natural for the users to be rather hostile. Also throw in that fans feel dedicated to particular characters and champion for them to get into the game. Finally, the game play between installments changes thus causing fans to become partial to one version over another version. It's pretty obvious those conditions will breed a rather hostile community environment. However, for the most part, it doesn't become extremely hostile and there are those who work very hard at improving the community.

I am semi-active on the forums for the game Destiny and that's one of the more toxic places I'm involved with. I could go on there and make a thread such as "(Characer class/weapon/boss/armor/ability) is over-powered/needs nerding" and I can gaurantee that at least half of the poster responses will be:

• Git gud
  • OP is a ******
  • OP is a ***
  • Shut up, *****
  • Go die
  • Die, ******
  • I hope you die
  • Hope your family gets shot by ISIS
Or if you make a thread about your sexual orientation/gender/race/politics that's other than being a straight republican white male; they will jump on you and call you every name in the book with zero help from the staff lol.

It's a great place to post lol. Always a refresher to come here after posting there. And of course, there are even worse places on the internet that has zero filters in terms of what's unacceptable. Anything under the sun is fair game.

Last edited:
Where's Wolf?
Where's Snake?
Where's King K. Rool?
Where's Isaac?
Where's Dixie Kong?
Where's Mach Rider?
Where's Blaziken?
Where's Impa?
Where's Paper Mario?
Where's Bandana Dee?
Where's Banjo?
Where's Ridley?
Where's Chibi-Robo?

/sarcasm
The sad part is, I almost thought you were serious. And I doubt anyone could really blame me for that.

I'd just like to say that I welcome :4corrinf: with open arms as a playable character. I'm not angry that he/she got in SSB4. I'm also not angry that Fire Emblem has six reps, the same as Pokemon. What I AM angry about is that Sakurai lied. He SPECIFICALLY stated that all of the characters after Roy and Ryu would be pure fanservice. While I do see Corrin is a unique character, and while I don't care if Fire Emblem is "overrepresented", I DO care that he went back on his promise. Sure, we did get Cloud and Bayonetta, but Corrin could have been K. Rool or Daisy or someone that have been waiting to be in Smash for a long long time. Instead, :4corrin:.

And with that, good night.

There's no reason to defend his "bias" because there is none as everyone claims.
Eh, there obviously is. Not bad enough to call him "dumb" and for him to step down a director. He is only human after all.
It's been evident since brawl(Kirby characters having major roles in SSE) and in smash 4 with KI and FE. Not sure how bad it is, but it's there.

At least those are good franchises... Especially since they added 2 characters who deserved a spot since Brawl. (Mega Man and Pac-Man)
What? So you say "I won't ever try something because **** Sakurai shoving this down my throat" and then qualify something else by saying "at least it's a good franchise." Yet you won't try Fire Emblem (giving you no objective lens by which to judge whether it is ALSO a good series of not.)

Seems legit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom