• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Source Gaming] Is Sakurai a Liar?

No.

For the past year and a half, Source Gaming has been collecting all the information, interviews and Famitsu columns, that it could get its' hands on. The collection of information has corrected a lot of misinformation and misconceptions within the Smash fan base. Taking information that is from only credited sources, Source Gaming is truly living up to its' name. Previously, Source Gaming has published The Definitive Unused Fighter List, Sakurai Didn't Say That!, Timeline of Masahiro Sakurai's Life and various articles detailing Sakurai's statements on various topics.

A common statement within the Smash fanbase is, 'Sakurai is a liar!' or 'Sakurai is a troll!'. PushDustIn decided to ask the community for their proof for these statements, investigate the claims and publish his findings.

For the full rundown, check out Source Gaming. This is only a preview of the full article!

1 lie.
4 cases of 'fake outs'
1 debatable cases.
12 cases of quotes being taken out of context, mistranslated or just made up.
4 cases of fans projecting their expectations.
2 cases of made up quotes/ quotes lacking sources.

Cases of Lying:
Stating that Zero-Suit Samus wasn't in Smash for Wii U/3DS, and then moments later admitting he was lying.

Cases of 'Fake Outs':
"Ness was in Smash up until now”
This quote comes from the Brawl site - Not a mistranslation, but it's not intended to sound so “definitive” (Japanese link). It just means that Ness was in all the previous Smash games up to that point. It was not a direct confirmation that Ness was or wasn’t going to be in Brawl.

Cases of Quotes Being Taken of Context:
"No DLC for Smash for Wii U/3DS"
This quote was taken out of context. Sakurai said that he and his team were not working on DLC at the time of the interview (November 19th), which for all we know, is true.

We believe that Samus is the best character in Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS"
This was in reference to the E3 invitational build (video link to the quote). This is probably his sincere opinion at the time, so it’s not a lie. On top of that, Sakurai states that he’s still balancing, so things would have changed since then.

Cases Lacking Sources:
”No more clones”
According to several threads on this topic, this is something that Sakurai has never said. In none of the Brawl interviews that Source Gaming has yet to translate, or has translated, were they able to find this. It is possible that eventually a source could turn up, but we will have to consider this misinformation since one has not been made available. According to Kinnian, it was made up by a user on Gamefaqs, and accepted as truth despite it lacking sources. This isn’t the first time we’ve seen this happen and is the reason why people should always, always ask for a source.

Some of the more infamous cases are highlighted here, but be sure to check out full rundown on Source Gaming.

This kind of research takes time. A lot of time. If you like this kind of investigative research, please consider donating to Source Gaming's patreon. Rewards include financing a particular translation or research topic, and more!

PushDustIn always sources his stuff. Do you? Follow him on Twitter for more goodness.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Not necessarily, as you cannot just port in a character and call it a day. Characters should still need to be balanced, which takes up development time. Maybe Wolf and Lucas were low priority and just didn't make it into the base game in time.
Though they would be relatively easy to balance. However some characters like, :4bowser::4falco::4luigi::4metaknight::4olimar::4pit: did get some pretty big changes. Considering some characters have different walk/run animations (:4wario:) I have further reason to believe that they built the game from the ground up. They were most likely easy to implement due to how easy some of their movesets are.

I love how when someone says "King K.Rool, Wolf, Ridley, etc... weren't as popular as you probably think" they go ahead and imply that characters like the ones who made it in actually were. Outside of Bayonetta, Sakurai hasn't claimed any of the characters that made it in through DLC were at all popular. If you want people to stop making assumptions, stop doing it for yourselves to support your arguments.

Now as some extra food for thought, everyone is aware of the bandwagoning effect, right? You know the effect where everyone flocks to a winner, artificially boosting the most popular (which, at the time, made them to be considered the most likely as well) character's popularity. Well, then don't you think it's actually possible that the characters that get name-dropped for snubs constantly actually were popular among fans that were only casually into Smash? The characters with the most exposure are bound to be the ones that get the most bandwagoners at the end of the day, and those characters most definitely were up there on that regard, spreading to sites like Twitter and Facebook like wildfire.

Seriously, give me a reason to believe those characters WEREN'T the most popular. Nothing we know suggests otherwise, and until we get some official Sakurai stats, that's not going to change. So you guys getting on Wolf, K.Rool, Ridley, etc... fans for believing there characters were popular when they had actual visual evidence that they were the most popular to the largest extent we can possibly know at the moment, please explain to me why YOUR assumptions that Cloud was actually popular and that Goku, Shrek, Spongebob were actually the leading vote-getters are any better.
What's the visual evidence? Online polls? Etika got over twenty-thousand votes on his, but in the end, none of it mattered.

The Smash community needs to realize that we're the vocal minority. The fact that Bayonetta won the ballot when she didn't win any of these 'polls' that we made only proves how small our voice is in the long run compared to the causal Smash fanbase.

We, as a community, are a vocal minority, compared to the millions who buy Smash and never post online. Like it or not, but all these character support threads and twitter rallies and somesuch, they don't matter. We're a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:
What's the visual evidence? Online polls? Etika got over twenty-thousand votes on his, but in the end, none of it mattered.

The Smash community needs to realize that we're the vocal minority. The fact that Bayonetta won the ballot when she didn't win any of these 'polls' that we made only proves how small our voice is in the long run compared to the causal Smash fanbase.

We, as a community, are a vocal minority, compared to the millions who buy Smash and never post online.
Yes, that's is the visual evidence and it's the only evidence we got either way.

No one misunderstands we are the minority, but the vocal minority echoes the vast majority. That's why you can reliably take statistics from a thousand or so people, and find out who's currently the favorite for presidency. It's statistics, that's why we use them.

Even then, that's only a small part of my point. You all claim that other characters are more popular then the characters that have actually shown to be popular, so where's your evidence to back that up? Until I see some actual proof, I can only assume what I know, and what I know is that Wolf, K.Rool, etc... were popular for the entire process anywhere you looked. So once again, prove all those character's fans wrong with any semblance of factual evidence, or stop making BS assumptions, because in reality we have MORE proof that those characters ARE popular then we do that they aren't.

Last edited:
Yes, that's is the visual evidence and it's the only evidence we got either way.

No one misunderstands we are the minority, but the vocal minority echoes the vast majority. That's why you can reliably take statistics from a thousand or so people, and find out who's currently the favorite for presidency. It's statistics, that's why we use them.

Even then, that's only a small part of my point. You all claim that other characters are more popular then the characters that have actually shown to be popular, so where's your evidence to back that up? Until I see some actual proof, I can only assume what I know, and what I know is that Wolf, K.Rool, etc... were popular for the entire process anywhere you looked. So once again, prove all those character's fans wrong with any semblance of factual evidence, or stop making BS assumptions.
My proof is that Bayonetta won the ballot and those characters didn't, dunno how much more solid evidence you can get than that.

Sakurai said he would focus on fan service. He added a character to smash purely from a popularity poll. The character literally strips to attack. I don't think you could get closer to the definition of 'fanservice'.

The Cloud reveal was after the 'fanservice' quote. A final fantasy character in smash is, once again, 100% fanservice.

Sakurai puts in a FF rep, and a popularity contest character, and a character for marketing. Do you know who makes the marketing decisions? Not Sakurai. He doesn't profit from Fire Emblem sales. That's someone else.

Regardless, I see no lies here. Only your salt over Corrin.
If Sakurai has nothing to do with marketing decisions then what the **** is this then?

After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing. I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

My proof is that Bayonetta won the ballot and those characters didn't, dunno how much more solid evidence you can get than that.
No stats, just "she won here and got top 5 here."

Some people will believe anything. There's no solid evidence there, just vague statements. Whopee....

Regardless, my argument wasn't against Bayonetta, I mentioned that in my first comment; my argument was that people assume characters that actually had popularity throughout the entire process actually weren't all that popular, and that Sakurai truly did "service" the fans with the characters he put in, because they were popular among people that didn't vote in online polls, and we just couldn't see the results, because, in the paraphrased words of this community, "they really were popular guys for serious".

This isn't an argument against Sakurai either, he never said anyone was popular outside of Bayonetta, and while I disagree with him not putting in the most popular characters as DLC throughout the process, at least he never claimed that he would. This is an argument against fans who get on other fans for making assumptions, BY making assumptions. You're all hypocrites, plain and simple.

Last edited:
No stats, just "she won here and got top 5 here."

Some people will believe anything.

Regardless, my argument wasn't against Bayonetta, I mentioned that in my first comment; my argument was that people assume characters that actually had popularity throughout the entire process actually weren't, and that Sakurai truly did "service" the fans with the characters he put in, because they were popular among people that didn't vote in online polls (although Sakurai never claimed this). This isn't an argument against Sakurai either, this is an argument against fans who get on other fans for making assumptions, BY making assumptions. You're all hypocrites, plain and simple.
I don't think they'd ever release the poll results, and the fact that they had to add in the 'realizable characters' bit makes me think that the top had either joke characters, ala Goku or Shrek, or characters from Microsoft or Konami, which just wouldn't work as far as legal reasons.

Regardless, Bayo won, and if they said she won, she won. There's nothing anyone can do or say to make it not so.

Last edited:
User was warned for this post
So you are going to reject any other kind of reasoning in the matter because you want to insist that you were lied to? This is the mob mentality that is spreads like cancer among the Smash community taking everything out of context.
Corrin can be just interpreted as an extra tagged along with fanservice characters Cloud and Bayonetta, probably pushed by Nintendo as advertisment. It would make sense if it was like this, since it isn't in Sakurai's interest to advertise a character but for Nintendo they certainly benefit from it. Anyways, we've been over this already and I know that logic is wasted on you.
I interpret Corrin as a waste of a character who's reason for getting in (advertising) would have been even better for characters that had even a sliver of people wanting them.

Assumptions, don't we love them? For someone who likes to accuse someone for lying you do really love to lie to yourself by pulling statements out of your butt. Has it ever occurred to you that those fans shouting those names perhaps didn't make up the larger portion of the Smash fanbase?
You can go by citing polls done in places like here, GameFaqs, Reddit, etc. but the truth is that the whole player base doesn't frequent these places. Much of the traffic in this site comes from users in NA, which may have their own preferences in newcomers but there are still a lot of other people from around the world who are unaccounted for and simply don't bother in partaking in those polls, take me as an example, I'm a regular here and never voted in any of those. A character like K. Rool may not be the popularity juggernaut that people are trying to make him out to be; not only from a regional perspective (Europe and Japan may not feel the same about him) but from an age demographic as well, he may just appeal to a smaller demographic who grew up in the 90s but newer generation gamers know nothing about and older ones may not care enough about him. And others like Banjo may have been impossible due to being owned by a direct competitor.
Let's hear about that legion of fans who wanted Corrin then. Also, Phil Spencer said he'd be just fine with Banjo in Smash, so the biggest hurdle of getting him in was already a non-issue. Sakurai just didn't want to use the character.

So yeah, if you are gonna say that the majority wanted him and those characters, chances are you might be wrong to a certain extent. Europe certainly didn't want him enough, and Japan probably feels the same.
The fans, the majority you like to claim that were shouting those characters... those were probably the ones in the back instead.
How odd that Sakurai has stayed completely silent on the Japanese ballot results, hm?

Also, here is the lollipop I owe you. Now go sit in the corner and suck on your thumb away from the people who actually bother to think rationally for a change.
I appreciate the gesture, but I think that lollipop is better left with you. After all, you'll need something to get the taste of Sakurai's butt cheeks out of your mouh.

Last edited:
I don't think they'd ever release the poll results, and the fact that they had to add in the 'realizable characters' bit makes me think that the top had either joke characters, ala Goku or Shrek, or characters from Microsoft or Konami, which just wouldn't work as far as legal reasons.
Or Banjo or anyone he just really didn't want to put in. He mentioned that "if he can't see the characters dancing" or whatever that he wouldn't put them in. Once again, we can all make assumptions, but until he actually shows us the actual poll results, which I doubt he ever will, you can't assume realizable characters meant anything either way.

Also lol at that stealth edit, I already made a point that Bayonetta had nothing to do with what I was talking about, and then you go and bring her up again. It's like you guys have your conversations pre-typed or some ****.

Last edited:
I interpret Corrin as a waste of a character who's reason for getting in (advertising) would have been even better for characters that had even a sliver of people wanting them.

Let's hear about that legion of fans who wanted Corrin then. Also, Phil Spencer said he'd be just fine with Banjo in Smash, so the biggest hurdle of getting him in was already a non-issue. Sakurai just didn't want to use the character.

How odd that Sakurai has stayed completely silent on the Japanese ballot results, hm?

I appreciate the gesture, but I think that lollipop is better left with you. After all, you'll need something to get the taste of Sakurai's butt cheeks out of your mouh.
You really think that Phil Spencer saying 'sure' is enough? There'd most likely be various other legal hurdles to jump through. like licensing issues.

Kojima wanted Snake in this game, but he didn't return, most likely due to the hurdles of Konami that would have to be jumped to get Snake back in.

You really think that Phil Spencer saying 'sure' is enough? There'd most likely be various other legal hurdles to jump through. like licensing issues.

Kojima wanted Snake in this game, but he didn't return, most likely due to the hurdles of Konami that would have to be jumped to get Snake back in.
Never said it was enough, just that arguably the biggest hurdle was already a non-issue.

Plus, Konami's current situation is nothing at like Microsoft's/Rare's situation.

Never said it was enough, just that arguably the biggest hurdle was already a non-issue.

Plus, Konami's current situation is nothing at like Microsoft's/Rare's situation.
Microsoft being one of Nintendo's largest competitors out there would have something to do with it, I'd wager. If I were Nintendo, I most certainly would not give one of my main competitors free publicity, regardless of what a small set of fans of the internet wanted.

Say what you will about Snake and Cloud with their games, but they at least aren't owned by Sony(Though Advent Children is afaik, it seems like Square and Nintendo have buried the hatchet so whatever).

Last edited:
How can it be vague if he never explicitly said it?

Meh, I'm confused so whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So am I. Apparently there was no English word for what he said and "fan service" is the closest thing.

Sakurai never actually said fan service - he used a term that cannot directly be translated into English with "fan service" being the closest to what it meant, but even that isn't entirely 1-to-1 to what he really said.

Perhaps PushDustIn PushDustIn would be willing to clarify this in the article? It's a lovely read, but I can potentially see this lack of clarity leading to more misinterpertation.
Okay; now I understand, but are there multiple words to define what he was talking about?

I know. I've already accepted that Sakurai's tastes are the opposite of mine. Everything I want for Smash doesn't happen and we get stuck with a load of crap. I'm not complaining; that's just the way it is.

Last edited:
If Sakurai has nothing to do with marketing decisions then what the **** is this then?

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/
Does he say anything about whether or not he was pressured into adding a character for marketing by someone else in Nintendo in that statement? No? Would you think he'd ever say something like that publicly? No? Does he say anywhere in there at all about marketing? No?

I don't understand how you're refuting my argument

It still baffles me how people can hate this roster when it's the biggest it's ever been. Brawl and Melee basically added all the important Nintendo characters, so the fact they added to this game honestly surprises me, but eh, what do I know, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe I'm just from a different time than all y'all, but I appreciate that we got this game and that the Smash Family has grown even more. I honestly feel like Sakurai did the best of his ability this game, and for those he couldn't, he at least acknowledged them as Mii costumes like K.Rool and Geno. I'm not a Melee baby. I'm not a Brawl baby. I'm not even that much of a Smash 4 baby... I'm just a guy that's happy that the series is continuing.

Of the cut veterans, we're only missing :pichumelee::younglinkmelee::wolf::popo::snake::ivysaur::squirtle:, with Young Link being debateable if he even left in the first place, so you know what?

Good job, Sakurai. Granted, now that I don't agree with the hate horde mentality, my opinion will probably be discarded as "Kissing Sakurai's butt", so whatever. This fanbase will never be united.

Last edited:
D
I do not believe Sakurai is a liar, and I do believe he has genuinely good intentions.

However, I also believe he (and possibly other developers on his team) can be very misguided about certain things. The development team seems to be very intent on speaking up for casual gamers because they are worried about the competitive side of the community taking over and pushing them out. The reality is that casual gamers don't need to be spoken for because they are very easy to please.

Now I'm definitely not saying Melee was perfect or anything, but it's a good example of how competitive games can still appeal to casual gamers. The concept of Smash itself, i.e. pitting Mario against Link, is what appeals to casual gamers. They will buy the game regardless. You don't have to make such an effort to have the game appeal to them. You cannot take shallow gameplay and make it deep, but you can take deeper gameplay, ignore the advanced tech, and make it casual, which is what people did with Melee and is the reason why it appealed to everybody at the time.

As for character inclusions, they should really look to the dedicated Smash fans who have been playing the game for years and see what they have to say. The fact that there are still Nintendo characters that people want that still haven't been added to the roster is really just annoying, and they need to stop cutting characters out of the roster in future games.

Last edited by a moderator:
People don't seem to understand that people change their mind

it's like you walk into a restraunt thinking "I'm going to get a burger" and then while you wait in line and get to the register you're like "I'll have a chicken sandwich"

Sakuri changes his mind on things, just like you and I.

So you are going to reject any other kind of reasoning in the matter because you want to insist that you were lied to? This is the mob mentality that is spreads like cancer among the Smash community taking everything out of context.
Corrin can be just interpreted as an extra tagged along with fanservice characters Cloud and Bayonetta, probably pushed by Nintendo as advertisment. It would make sense if it was like this, since it isn't in Sakurai's interest to advertise a character but for Nintendo they certainly benefit from it. Anyways, we've been over this already and I know that logic is wasted on you.
Tl,dr
Just because Sakurai's action didn't meet our demands doesn't mean we should consider him a liar.
Sakurai created a great game, I don't see the need for all this hate. Daddy' Sakurai's got this. Still praying he pulls Wolf out of nowhere soon.
And no reason for arguing about this.
Edit:
Here's my word to PushDustIn PushDustIn :
I am here to thank you for trying to uncover the true facts about Smash and trying clearify the "Sakurai is a liar" around Smash community, but frankly to say I think this kind of article is kind of unnecessary. In my opinion, this kind of article will only stirr up controversies and arguments among the Smash community. But don't get me wrong, you did a good job on this article, but as you see in the comment section. There are still sone people consider Sakurai is a liar, a troll, whereas some people thinks he isn't. Which I think both aren't really wrong. All in all, this kind of subject isn't worth of debate, or even trying to talk about it. Let bygones be bygones.

Last edited:
It still baffles me how people can hate this roster when it's the biggest it's ever been. Brawl and Melee basically added all the important Nintendo characters, so the fact they added to this game honestly surprises me, but eh, what do I know, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe I'm just from a different time than all y'all, but I appreciate that we got this game and that the Smash Family has grown even more. I honestly feel like Sakurai did the best of his ability this game, and for those he couldn't, he at least acknowledged them as Mii costumes like K.Rool and Geno. I'm not a Melee baby. I'm not a Brawl baby. I'm not even that much of a Smash 4 baby... I'm just a guy that's happy that the series is continuing.

Of the cut veterans, we're only missing :pichumelee::younglinkmelee::wolf::popo::snake::ivysaur::squirtle:, with Young Link being debateable if he even left in the first place, so you know what?

Good job, Sakurai. Granted, now that I don't agree with the hate horde mentality, my opinion will probably be discarded as "Kissing Sakurai's butt", so whatever. This fanbase will never be united.
See? we all need to be more like shroob here. If we had more people like this the smash online community wouldn't be called things like "cancerous" or "worse online community"

We don't know by how much Bayonetta won the ballot by, what if she only had less than 5 votes more than Wolf and Krool? I mean what if the Republican party announces that Donald Trump won the nomination, but they don't show the results. You think people would just accept it, or would they question whether or not Trump just bought himself the nomination? #small loan of a million dollars.
It still baffles me how people can hate this roster when it's the biggest it's ever been.
Bigger isn't always better.
I do not believe Sakurai is a liar, and I do believe he has genuinely good intentions.

However, I also believe he (and possibly other developers on his team) can be very misguided about certain things. The development team seems to be very intent on speaking up for casual gamers because they are worried about the competitive side of the community taking over and pushing them out. The reality is that casual gamers don't need to be spoken for because they are very easy to please.

Now I'm definitely not saying Melee was perfect or anything, but it's a good example of how competitive games can still appeal to casual gamers. The concept of Smash itself, i.e. pitting Mario against Link, is what appeals to casual gamers. They will buy the game regardless. You don't have to make such an effort to have the game appeal to them. You cannot take shallow gameplay and make it deep, but you can take deeper gameplay, ignore the advanced tech, and make it casual, which is what people did with Melee and is the reason why it appealed to everybody at the time.

As for character inclusions, they should really look to the dedicated Smash fans who have been playing the game for years and see what they have to say. The fact that there are still Nintendo characters that people want that still haven't been added to the roster is really just annoying, and they need to stop cutting characters out of the roster in future games.
Yeah the team is definitely misguided,
  1. They didn't have a story mode because they didn't want the cutscenes to get leaked.
  2. They changed nearly all of the single player modes just for the sake of providing a new experience, and that new experience wasn't good at all.
I also think Sakurai is a jerk. The Ridley stunt he pulled was pretty jerkish. Why was Ridley the only character he didn't deconfirm right off the bat? If you look back every non playable character that was revealed before the game's release was immediately deconfirmed by Sakurai. Why wasn't Ridley? My bet is that he wanted people to buy the game thinking Ridley was in the game, then he deconfirmed him and said the reason for not including Ridley was because he was "too big" the very bane of Ridley fans. While he may not be a flat out liar, he's very misleading, and kind of jerkish.

We don't know by how much Bayonetta won the ballot by, what if she only had less than 5 votes more than Wolf and Krool? I mean what if the Republican party announces that Donald Trump won the nomination, but they don't show the results. You think people would just accept it, or would they question whether or not Trump just bought himself the nomination? #small loan of a million dollars.

1. They didn't have a story mode because they didn't want the cutscenes to get leaked.
  2. They changed nearly all of the single player modes just for the sake of providing a new experience, and that new experience wasn't good at all.
I also think Sakurai is a jerk. The Ridley stunt he pulled was pretty jerkish. Why was Ridley the only character he didn't deconfirm right off the bat? If you look back every non playable character that was revealed before the game's release was immediately deconfirmed by Sakurai. Why wasn't Ridley? My bet is that he wanted people to buy the game thinking Ridley was in the game, then he deconfirmed him and said the reason for not including Ridley was because he was "too big" the very bane of Ridley fans. While he may not be a flat out liar, he's very misleading, and kind of jerkish.
Except.... this is literally the best roster Smash has had, objectively speaking. There's only 7 characters who did not return, 3 being Pokemon, 1 being arguably still in the game, 1 retro character cut due to hardware constraints, Snake and Wolf. Thus, the fact that they built on an already GREAT roster only makes it an improvement.

The fact that fan favorites like Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas all returned blows my mind when they weren't in the base game, honestly. Sakurai could have just ignored these characters, but he brought them back because he knew these characters had die-hard fans.

Granted, I know you of all people will turn a blind eye to the good of this game because 'no Wolf'.

Last edited:
Except.... this is literally the best roster Smash has had, objectively speaking. There's only 7 characters who did not return, 3 being Pokemon, 1 being arguably still in the game, 1 retro character cut due to hardware constraints, Snake and Wolf. Thus, the fact that they built on an already GREAT roster only makes it an improvement.

The fact that fan favorites like Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas all returned blows my mind when they weren't in the base game, honestly. Sakurai could have just ignored these characters, but he brought them back because he knew these characters had die-hard fans.

Granted, I know you of all people will turn a blind eye to the good of this game because 'no Wolf'.
Nothing wrong with not playing the game, you didn't even address my other points.
Besides characters can be modded in.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with not buying the game, besides he can be modded in.
No one said you had to buy the game, I'm just mentioning all the times in the past you've bad-mouthed the game due to the 'No Wolf' scenario.... Which is petty, considering that it's one character.

Last edited:
No one said you had to buy the game, I'm just mentioning all the times in the past you've bad-mouthed the game due to the 'No Wolf' scenario.... Which is petty, considering that it's one character.
Its not petty, if a character you like isn't in the game you might not like it. Besides my main reason for hating the game is lack of good single player content.

Its not petty, if a character you like isn't in the game you might not like it. Besides my main reason for hating the game is lack of good single player content.
You can not like the game all you like, but don't act innocent. I've seen you post MULTIPLE times decrying how this game is terrible because Wolf's not in it. You can choose to not buy the game all you want, but nobody cares if you bought it or not, and our opinion doesn't change after the 50th time you've told us.

You can not like the game all you like, but don't act innocent. I've seen you post MULTIPLE times decrying how this game is terrible because Wolf's not in it. You can choose to not buy the game all you want, but nobody cares if you bought it or not, and our opinion doesn't change after the 50th time you've told us.
People change their minds. That was the past get over it.

That was literally right after the last Direct. I'd say that's a pretty short time from now. :p

As for your other points, who are we to know? Bayonetta won the ballot, and as a company, they don't have to tell us crap about the ballot results. Don't try to bring 'muh conspiracy' into this.

Single-Player is fine in the 3DS version. Classic Mode is fine, and while I'd rather have Break the Targets, I'd rather not have Break the Targets back if it was going to just be like Brawl's again. That was awful. WiiU single player sucks, yes, but I was never expecting much as far as the single player experience went when they said no SSE.

The Ridley stuff was spelt out in the April Direct and I think Burb Burb has covered it perfectly in various posts that I can't be asked to find.

Last edited:
Sakurai never teased Ridley as being a playable character. That was a theory cooked up by Ridley supporters who couldn't come to terms with the fact that he was going to be a NPC boss character once again.

Prior to being fully unveiled in the 50 Facts Nintendo Direct, every mention of Ridley was in reference to him being a boss on Pyrosphere. When Pyrosphere was first confirmed, Sakurai mentioned an "enemy from Samus' past" being present on the stage. On the first Smash Bros Direct in April 2014, Ridley's shadow was shown flying by the Pyrosphere during a segment on the Yellow Devil while Sakurai was talking about boss battles being present on other stages besides Wily Castle, with the caption "Other boss character appearances" plastered over the footage. Not once was he teased as being anything other than what he ended up being in the final game- the Pyrosphere stage boss.

Blaming Sakurai for this is completely ridiculous. He never led people on to thinking Ridley would be a playable character. You guys expected it in spite of being told he was a boss half a year before the game launched, it's your own faults.

The fact that you dislike the game isn't the part that's petty.

It's the constant whining that is. You've said your piece about a dozen times now. We get it.

Last edited:
Sakurai never teased Ridley as being a playable character. That was a theory cooked up by Ridley supporters who couldn't come to terms with the fact that he was going to be a NPC boss character once again.

Prior to being fully unveiled in the 50 Facts Nintendo Direct, every mention of Ridley was in reference to him being a boss on Pyrosphere. When Pyrosphere was first confirmed, Sakurai mentioned an "enemy from Samus' past" being present on the stage. On the first Smash Bros Direct in April 2014, Ridley's shadow was shown flying by the Pyrosphere during a segment on the Yellow Devil while Sakurai was talking about boss battles being present on other stages besides Wily Castle, with the caption "Other boss character appearances" plastered over the footage. Not once was he teased as being anything other than what he ended up being in the final game- the Pyrosphere stage boss.

Blaming Sakurai for this is completely ridiculous. He never led people on to thinking Ridley would be a playable character. You guys expected it in spite of being told he was a boss half a year before the game launched, it's your own faults.
Still should have flat out said Ridley was a boss in April. Every other character was deconfirmed on the spot.

Still should have flat out said Ridley was a boss in April. Every other character was deconfirmed on the spot.
He did.

Ridley's shadow flew by while he was talking about there being other stage bosses besides Yellow Devil. He was flat out used as an example of a stage boss.

You guys decided that wasn't clear enough, even though it was spelled out on screen for you.

Metal-Face wasn't, and he was arguably put in the same position in Shulk's trailer.
If anything, Metal Face's tease was more ambiguous.

There wasn't a caption and narration talking about stage bosses for Metal Face.

Last edited:
Metal-Face wasn't, and he was arguably put in the same position in Shulk's trailer.
Dark Pit came in at the end of Palutena's trailer and everyone thought he was an alt.
You can't be held at fault if there's no official confirmation. The Ridley fans weren't in the wrong, stop harping on them.

Last edited:
Dark Pit came in at the end of Palutena's trailer and everyone thought he was an alt.
You can't be held at fault if there's no official confirmation. The Ridley fans made a mistake, stop harping on them.
I'm honestly not, but to say that 'Sakurai taunted them' when you just flat out said that they made a mistake...

Go back to the swamp, before I bring up why Pink guy should have been in smash.
Burb Burb I accept you with open arms.

Regardless, Burb agrees with why Ridley should be in Smash. He's said multiple times that he is one of the few characters he actively wants. It's just he saw the writing on the wall.

Regardless, arguing about this is pointless. I didn't get any character that I voted for, and while I like the inclusions I am a little upset over who did not get in. But whining about it and insisting Sakurai is messed up is just not acceptable.

Grow up.

Considering the conspiracy assumptions you bring up, hate campaigning towards this game's director, questionable arguments and liking every anti-Sakurai post no matter how deriding of reason it is, petty sums you up pretty well.

It sucks when a liked character is cut but if the lack Wolf is the whole reason why you decided to stoop down so low, then you need to grow up. There is plenty of reasons to like this roster but not if you approach it with an all-or-nothing attitude that clouds your judgement and poisons your enjoyment for it. Did you hated the 64 and Melee roster as well for lacking Wolf?

What's funny is that his previous reply to you was "characters can be modded in", so this could technically apply to Wolf in the future by including him in Smash 4's roster. What a joke, desperately trying to downplay the pros of the roster just to overstate the cons.

Last edited:
See? we all need to be more like shroob here. If we had more people like this the smash online community wouldn't be called things like "cancerous" or "worse online community"
I am with Shroob as well (and also Tino who don't even care about this issue and rather enjoy the game). But even I did used to think that Sakurai is a liar (which was really in my mind until I saw this article), what's the point of blaming him?
Suppose they did put Wolf because of the ballot vote it would rather waste the ballot, because why does it need to take a ballot to put another veteran? And King K Rool could be the top vote in the NA region, but not the top worldwide.
And Bayonetta undoubtfully is No,1 WORLDWIDE, the world vote is bigger than any other region vote. Only odd thing is that Sakurai didn't mention Japan region's vote. Glad that he didn't put another character that is based on the Japan's ballot vote winner.
Abd this is a ballot for a video game, not a political vote.
Also yeah, Sakurai needs to show the ballot someday, but even if he did. What's the point of it when Sakurai stated the game is done?
Why is that may I ask?
Or you can say that Sakurai got bothered for the cutscenes get leaked because how hardwork they did on the cutscenes for the adventure mode as surprises and rewards but eventually got leaked on the Internet where anyone can watch it and not playing the game…
I do think that the lack of Story mode is the only missing piece for this game.
Smash Run is good, nuff said for Classic mode. Smash tour, I have to agreed with you on this one.
You can't force us to change our minds, abd so can't we.
And you are the one who should get over it buddy.
Now this is my breaking point…
I have to say this one more time, you can't offend Sakurai when his action don't meet your demands.
It's because Sakurai knows that Ridley is a high demand character, even in Japan. That's why he makes such joke like this.
And please watch your word, it's very rude to call someone a jerk when he had been so hard working on a game that everyone loves. I will try not to offense you as long as you aren't being offensive.
You can't be held at fault if there's no official confirmation. The Ridley fans weren't in the wrong, stop harping on them.
I know Ridley in Smash is disappointment to some Smash fans, but I already addressed this, you can't deny Sakurai's work on Smash4 just because he didn't meet your demand. But as to hate this game, I have no comment.
Regardless, arguing about this is pointless. I didn't get any character that I voted for, and while I like the inclusions I am a little upset over who did not get in. But whining about it and insisting Sakurai is messed up is just not acceptable.

Grow up.
Yep. Totally agreed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom