• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soul Calibur IV

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Still haven't gotten my hands on it, but aside from spamming Darth Vader's force toss, I have my eyes on Lizardman or maybe Cervantes.

I hope to god not, I hate God of War :urg:
F that S. God of War's an epic, and I don't care how much someone hates it, Kratos still would've fit in a helluvalot better than those stupid anime artist-designed gimmicks of characters.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
F that S. God of War's an epic, and I don't care how much someone hates it, Kratos still would've fit in a helluvalot better than those stupid anime artist-designed gimmicks of characters.
Out of all the characters to call out gimmicks that don't fit in, you pick out the characters designed by comic artists? Whatever, generic God of War fan # 2312 :rolleyes:

After purchasing it, it's just SC III with guest characters to me :/ I might return it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Calling this SC3 all over again proves you really don't understand the engine at all.

But then again if you just play casually then why would you?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Calling this SC3 all over again proves you really don't understand the engine at all.

But then again if you just play casually then why would you?
What I mean is the experience. I just didn't really enjoy it. No way near as much as I did SC II and the first one. Not as overhyped as Brawl, but pretty **** close. I got Soulcalibur III thinking it would be the best after looking it up and hearing friends talk about it, but it was very bad.

And do NOT even THINK about pointing the "lol u dont like it casual dumb ***" at me like it has any merit, pal. I've been playing Soul since Soulcalibur on the Dreamcast.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
SC2 is indeed a very different experience.

SC2 is well very fast. Probably one of the fastest 3-d fighters ever. Step and 8 way run are extremely fast in that game. Plus in SC 2 and SC3 you could cancel step into a guard. Making the game all about fast safe pressure.

In SC4 evasive moves and movements are slower as well as the basic strings like BB and AA being 1 or 2 frames slower then in SC3.

Basically the game has been designed to appeal to more casuals.

I got no beef with that though cuz the depth of the game is still there. And anything is better then Brawl.

Also..Soul since Dreamcast?

So you haven't played Soul Blade (Edge)?

NUBSAUCE!!!!! :lick:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I liked SC2, but hated that it didn't have Hwang who was also one of the best characters and I hated how abusable step was.

Then again there are things I hate about SC4.

Overall I like them both, but they are both failures when compared to Soul Caliber.

That game is simply a giant among insects.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Still, that's more than a majority of Gamecube players that learned about Soul because of Link can ever say.

WRONG!!!

Mains in SC1:

Lizardman

Mains in SC2:

Astaroth
Ivy
Cervantes

Mains in SC3:

Lizardman
Astaroth
Cervantes

Mains in SC4:

Lizardman
Astaroth
Cervantes
The Apprentice

Lizardman is Top Tier in SC1, no matter what ANYONE says.

Astaroth's best incarnation, IMO, was SC2. Then SC4, then SC3.

Cervantes is simply awesome, although he was nerfed in 4.

The Apprentice is pretty cool, as well as me being psyched for Force Unleashed.

Ivy seemed appealing, and she was for a time. Then I realized how she symbolized fan service.

----------

SC1 is still the best. SC4 is worse than SC2, but better than SC3.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Out of all the characters to call out gimmicks that don't fit in, you pick out the characters designed by comic artists? Whatever, generic God of War fan # 2312 :rolleyes:

After purchasing it, it's just SC III with guest characters to me :/ I might return it.
Yeah, cuz narrow-minded generalizations like that always give you crediblity. Not only do these characters have zero originality in terms of movesets, but they're terribly voiced, with concepts that are just laughable (oh wait, nevermind. Everyone knows that a gothic robo-maid would make a perfectly believable Astaroth killer) that make me think the bonus characters in the U.S version of SCII (Assassin-Hwang, Berserker-Rock, Lizardman [not Aeon Calcos Lizardman]) were more original additions to the series than Hilde was for SC4. At least 1. Kratos would've probably had his own moveset, and 2. The series' mainstays have enough past history to justify their appearances in the future parts.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I think I would've preferred more original characters like Hilde... And the bonus characters now make me lose faith. SC3 so far has THE BEST character roster in the series. Take out Ashlotte and Kamikirmusi; the others actually have something going for them, except maybe Angol Fear. Give Scheherazade a razor edged bow and Shura a whip. And no, not segmented either- PURE whip.

And I think playing as Yoda and Vader is cool and all...

But they went with the cardinal rule of making the guest characters FREAKING BROKEN.

Brawl knows about that right?

If there were guest characters, here's what they'd be:

Xbox 360: Master Chief/Arbiter with Energy Sword or Gravity Hammer or Joanna Dark with Viblade.

PS3: Solid Snake with the Stun Knife or Kratos with... you know.

Other notable mentions are Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden 2), Altair (Assassin's Creed), and Hayden (Dark Sector).

Grunt

Smash Master
Xbox 360: Master Chief/Arbiter with Energy Sword or Gravity Hammer or Joanna Dark with Viblade.

PS3: Solid Snake with the Stun Knife or Kratos with... you know.

Other notable mentions are Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden 2), Altair (Assassin's Creed), and Hayden (Dark Sector).
Gordan Freeman with the Crowbar.
Hell yeah!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Dude...the Star Wars characters all suck.

None of them have safe lows.

Yoda leaves himself open too much cuz he jumps all over the place.

Vader is too slow.

Starkiller is the best one overall, but he still suffers from bad lows.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Good players know when to block low. Those moves just telegraph themselves.

Except Astaroth. For some reason, nobody's been able to guard impact my Poseidon's Sweep...

Yoda is broken. You know how much damage he could do off of one combo? WAY TOO MUCH.

And he's the smallest guy in the game, you can't grab him, I don't think you can Guard Impact him, he's got fast attack speed, and worst of all:

Tendor Snake. TENDOR SNAKE.

(IDK if that's the real name of it, but whatever.)

Darth isn't broken, granted. He's balanced.

Starkiller is a bit too good though. Fast, strong (Broken grabs says what?) and great combos.

Hilde's pretty bad...

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
Good players know when to block low. Those moves just telegraph themselves.

Except Astaroth. For some reason, nobody's been able to guard impact my Poseidon's Sweep...

Yoda is broken. You know how much damage he could do off of one combo? WAY TOO MUCH.

And he's the smallest guy in the game, you can't grab him, I don't think you can Guard Impact him, he's got fast attack speed, and worst of all:

Tendor Snake. TENDOR SNAKE.

(IDK if that's the real name of it, but whatever.)

Darth isn't broken, granted. He's balanced.

Starkiller is a bit too good though. Fast, strong (Broken grabs says what?) and great combos.

Hilde's pretty bad...
Yoda is actually quite easy to get a ring out on because he is almost always airborne. A good hit will send him flying pretty far. That's what I usually try and go for when I face a good Yoda (it's cheap, but I don't care).

Starkiller is a little awkward for me to use (idk why, just not my style maybe?). He may seem like the ****ing juggernaut, but he has weaknesses. Like Emblem Lord said, he has no good low pokes.

@ Symphony - Who's even organizing this tournament? And is it for the 360 or PS3?

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
He's okay. He doesn't seem to combo very well, but he never has. He's slow.

Has anyone noticed that Zasalamel has great combos?! When computers use him, he like does three hits, then picks you up of the ground and does that "hold-still-while-I-stab-you-and-pull-it-back-out-grab", the hits you four more times!

I think it would be a good idea if we posted our combos here, to better help the community.

Talim has great combo potential. I use ←B+K, A, FC (From Crouch)\\B, →A+K, I A+B.

5 hits, and in a flashy way. =)

It's most likely for XB360, considering we have a resounding TWO PS3 players...

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
The most I've gotten out of Hilde is about a 5 strike comboish thing. You can use small sword (hold), then pole thing (hold), then kick, then release those held buttons one by one since all of her specials are charges. What's also good about her is that when you use a grab and and then have a charge attack waiting immediately after.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Dude...the Star Wars characters all suck.

None of them have safe lows.

Yoda leaves himself open too much cuz he jumps all over the place.

Vader is too slow.

Starkiller is the best one overall, but he still suffers from bad lows.
Haven't played Vader, but I keep hearing the same common complaints. I hate playing as Yoda more than I hate playing against him. Now that I unlocked Starkilller, the game is kicking in. I may just main him. He does have some pretty obvious flaws though.

I've only played it with brothers, but now that I've played it with friends who know what they're doing, the game is kicking in. I should have have waited a while though before posting initial thoughts. However, I can't believe that there are only two more original Soul characters, aside from guests and bonus characters, who are all very boring clones.

Gordan Freeman with the Crowbar.
Hell yeah!
I second that notion as well.
Third. Would be an awesome character. I dunno about Master Chief for 360, Dead or Alive 4 already has a Spartan AND Ryu Hayabusa.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Alright well I have Xbox Live gold now so I'm game.

And by the way Hilde sucks playing against actual people. She's way too slow with not enough power to make up for it.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Alright well I have Xbox Live gold now so I'm game.

And by the way Hilde sucks playing against actual people. She's way too slow with not enough power to make up for it.
I guess it revolves around charge attacks or whatnot.

I am also game for a tourney, although I'd prefer it would be some other day in the following week.

I've got a party today and a date with a (girl)friend tomorrow.

So yeah. any other day and my Astaroth will rip you all a new one.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I don't know about Yoda, but I don't see how anyone can say that Vader or Apprentice are broken. Darth Vader sucks and the Apprentice isn't any better than any of the other good characters in the game. Hilde is way better than the Apprentice. The only reason nobody calls her broken is because she isn't a guest character.

smashbot226

Smash Master
And she's pretty slow.

And she has too many unsafe vertical attacks.

Yoda can't be grabbed, can't be hit by any non-Low horizontal move when not attacking, hard to hit due to jumping around the place, great combos, quick attack speed, etc.

Apprentice is High Tier material.

IDK about Vader. I got the 360 version.

Another thing:

Why are ALL the bonus characters (Relatively.) flat chested female clones of mostly evil guys?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I seen Yoda and his damage is balls and since he has to jump around to attack when you hit him he can be counter hit easily and he sets himself up for juggles.

Not good.

Fighters about risk reward ratio.

All the Star Wars characters are high risk high reward.

Why play them when I can play Mitsurugi and get very high rewards with very low risk due to great pokes and fast lows that combo naturally? Plus he has a great wake-up game with good mix-ups.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
I'm really pleased with the character selection in this game, even without the character maker (which I don't really use). 34 characters, everybody should be able to find someone they can play with.

I even like the Star Wars features they threw in. I thought it was pretty cool despite their flaws (which I don't think are as big as people make them).
Bonus characters from SC4 > Bonus characters from SC2.

...So about that tournament...

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
And she's pretty slow.

And she has too many unsafe vertical attacks.

Yoda can't be grabbed, can't be hit by any non-Low horizontal move when not attacking, hard to hit due to jumping around the place, great combos, quick attack speed, etc.

Apprentice is High Tier material.

IDK about Vader. I got the 360 version.

Another thing:

Why are ALL the bonus characters (Relatively.) flat chested female clones of mostly evil guys?
You wanna take a look at Shura and run that by me again?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Angol Fear isn't flat chested and she's a clone of Seung Mina.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Okay, Angol not.

But:

Shura- Cervantes
Kamikirimusi- Nightmare
Ashlotte- Astaroth
Scheherazade- Amy

Ashlotte is flat.

Scheherazade is relatively flat.

When I say RELATIVELY flat, I mean.

Well, just look at this:

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
Okay, Angol not.

But:

Shura- Cervantes
Kamikirimusi- Nightmare
Ashlotte- Astaroth
Scheherazade- Amy

Ashlotte is flat.

Scheherazade is relatively flat.

When I say RELATIVELY flat, I mean.

Well, just look at this:

You really can't compare these characters to Ivy. I think it's easy to say that Namco went waaaaay overboard when designing her...

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
Name: OiKyon
Main(s): Xianghua
PSNID: oikyonko
Voice: N

But c'mon guys, SC isn't all about chests...well kinda.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Edit - Woo, I got it buffed. Order has been restored. My Xbox left a scratch ring in the Soul Calibur disc earlier but all is well now.
*Phew*.

Tips
-Play your Xbox horizontally
-Don't move it while playing
-Get the 5 dollar warranty

Also, I'm interested in a tournament.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Edit - Woo, I got it buffed. Order has been restored. My Xbox left a scratch ring in the Soul Calibur disc earlier but all is well now.
*Phew*.

Tips
-Play your Xbox horizontally
-Don't move it while playing
-Get the 5 dollar warranty

Also, I'm interested in a tournament.
Why horizontally?
Is it because you can't knock it over when it's that way?

And again, I am also very interested.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Why horizontally?
Is it because you can't knock it over when it's that way?

And again, I am also very interested.
Because the tray is crap-flimsy and has a higher chance of getting messed up inside., and yeah it's easier to move. If it's horizontal the disc is more secure.

That's what the lady at the store told me, I can't disagree since I had it in vertically and it totally screwed my disc.

edit - Some of the things still don't work. So far I'm having no luck getting in to the Tower of Lost Souls, and I don't think I can load my custom chars. Actually I can't get anything except arcade to work, maybe online if no one picks a custom.

edit pt 2 - I went back and got it rebuffed and it seems to be working now. horah.

Top Bottom