• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just thought of this and I want to say...

I think Disney should make more of their own video games with their own original characters, as in make new original video game companies. That way, Sora could have more likely chance of getting into Smash. Sure, there'd be competition for Sora from the other characters, but if Disney did this and it ends up with Sora, it should be all good. They can also have other companies make or help make their games like how Square Enix did with Kingdom Hearts.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I still have hope he will get in, if not Seph is cool.
However he does seem like the ideal character they’d pick to take on Dharkon for a cgi trailer.

A costume is alright, probably wouldn’t buy it though. I don’t think they could due him justice in terms of appearance. Geno, Bomberman, hollow knight, etc, work well cuz of their stature , but Sora would just look weird.

Besides I feel like Nintendo or Disney wouldn’t opt for a costume, but who knows. They’d be better off making Sora outside the challenger pack.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220

I think Disney should make more of their own video games with their own original characters, as in make new original video game companies. That way, Sora could have more likely chance of getting into Smash. Sure, there'd be competition for Sora from the other characters, but if Disney did this and it ends up with Sora, it should be all good. They can also have other companies make or help make their games like how Square Enix did with Kingdom Hearts.
I'd love to see this, but sadly Disney seems totally disinterested in making video games these days. Hence, why they sold the Star Wars license to EA and had Square make the Avengers game. I think the results of this decision speak for themselves. Though I've heard that Jedi Fallen Order and Squadrons are decent.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd love to see this, but sadly Disney seems totally disinterested in making video games these days. Hence, why they sold the Star Wars license to EA and had Square make the Avengers game. I think the results of this decision speak for themselves. Though I've heard that Jedi Fallen Order and Squadrons are decent.
I know. It was actually just a thought.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Let me try and put my feelings on the matter in another way

Imagine if Hero and Chrono were in the same pass. They may not technically be under the same umbrella but it's still two characters with Akira Toriyama's artstyle and seeming them doubled up in the pass would be strange, right?
1607805203815.png

Like, even if you were to say put Sora at the very end it would still be odd with Sephiroth there

1607805466739.png

If we end up getting a Pass 3 it's another story, but I really don't think Sora and Sephiroth are getting in at the same time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Imagine if Hero and Chrono were in the same pass. They may not technically be under the same umbrella but it's still two characters with Akira Toriyama's artstyle and seeming them doubled up in the pass would be strange, right?

If we end up getting a Pass 3 it's another story, but I really don't think Sora and Sephiroth are getting in at the same time.
cause they were designed by the same guy?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

They had a video game Division that has long since been dead actually

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
If we were to wake up and find out a Pass 3 was happening, then I'd be singing a different tune. But as it is, I just can't Sora and Sephiroth being in the same pass. Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy are just so intrinsically linked to one another, and that'd give us two Nomura characters at once.

I mean I would absolutely love to be wrong about this just... I don't know, I just don't see it
View attachment 295223
Considering Steve is in the game as DLC even AFTER people assumed he was outright deconfirmed because Banjo got in the game. It just helps cements what I've been saying since the start of this game's DLC. That thing being that NO ONE knows what is and was is NOT likely for this game. The DLC for this game has consistantly back to back ever since the very beginning been blowing everyone's assumptions straight of the water. So I'm not gonna ride off any character happening with the exception of characters who are assists trophies or random spirit event characters for DLC picks for this game. Until ALL the DLC is done, and even then with how much money Nintendo is making off of Smash Ultimate I don't doubt that they do want/ARE going to have even more DLC for this game. If they truly are not though then that just opens up speculation for the next game. Which IS going to happen I don't think anyone has any doubt in their mind.

So how does everyone feel about the possibility of seeing Sora as a Mii costume in the next Sakurai Presents? Because while I don't think Sora is outright deconfirmed after Sephiroth's announcement, I feel his chances have been a little bit hampered. I'm personally bracing myself for the worst.
I don't think ot would make very much sense for Nintendo to go out of their way to ask for the rights of one of the biggest JRPG protagnists in gaming history. From Disney of all people just to have him be a Mii outfit. Could it happen? "Maybe" but that's highly unlikely. I feel like Mii costumes are more reserved for smaller IP characters and or smaller less significant mascot characters from series. Not for someone as big as a character like Sora.

View attachment 295291

Like, even if you were to say put Sora at the very end it would still be odd with Sephiroth there

View attachment 295292

Not at all, because a character made by the same person twice has absolutely no president as an actual criteria for what character is chosen to be in the game. Especially in a game like smash where every human anime character looks more or less exactly the ****ing same in game as eachother regardless of what IP they come from. I get what you're trying to say but the reasoning is just flawed. That's more of a YOU issue, and less an actual valid reasoning for anything regarding what is and what is not likely in this game.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

View attachment 295291

View attachment 295292

I understand your line of thinking, but your comparison doesn't really make sense here. Afterall, Hero isn't a Toriyama rep. Likewise, Sephiroth isn't a Nomura rep. Your example is just showing two Square reps vs. A Square rep and Disney rep.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
While I'm not in the boat of thinking Sora is completely out of the running, I can't shake the feeling of Sora being out till a 3rd pass is revealed.

Speaking of, when would be the best time to announce a 3rd pass? Would it be fighter #10, #11 or many months after the 2nd pass ends with silence in between?

Last edited:

TraaP

Smash Cadet
Something I’d like to mention: albeit there has been no precedent of two companies getting a rep in the same fighter pass, is that really enough to disconfirm a second Square Enix rep? The characters have been preordained by Nintendo & if they wanted to have both Sephiroth & Sora, is Sakurai really going to say “Nope. I can’t add two characters from Square Enix, we need more diversity”. Likewise, does Nintendo really care about such a thing either? I would like to say the answer is yes so they can build a better repertoire with multiple companies at once, but if they feel that big lucrative characters like Sephiroth & Sora are ample for fighter pass 2.

However, during writing this my opinions have swayed, but I still believe it is possible to receive a second Square Enix character - however slim the chance is. To be candid, Sora’s saving grace in this particular situation is his Disney ownership. I felt that having Geno & Sora in FP2 wasn’t unrealistic, as I felt they would be a Mario & Disney rep respectively. The only problem is that Sephiroth is in that weird grey area, he’s in the middle of their two extremes - Nintendo character made by Square Enix & Disney character made by Square Enix.

Sora mii costume is not happening, if it was then we would have gotten a spirit event for Melody of Memory given how much Nintendo has been advertising it.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to open up speculation points, have a good day :).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The funny story would be if to get Sora in Smash, they also got Sephiroth in so SE get the Sephiroth Cut of the deal and Disney get the Sora cut of the deal and both enjoy some $$$$$ without sharing and it being a3ways pies.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The funny story would be if to get Sora in Smash, they also got Sephiroth in so SE get the Sephiroth Cut of the deal and Disney get the Sora cut of the deal and both enjoy some $$$$$ without sharing and it being a3ways pies.
well thats true of any company putting a character in smash

GhostRoy

Smash Apprentice
Grand Rapids, MI United States of America
NNID
RoyUchiha
While I'm not in the boat of thinking Sora is completely out of the running, I can't shake the feeling of Sora being out till a 3rd pass is revealed.

Speaking of, when would be the best time to announce a 3rd pass? Would it be fighter #10, #11 or many months after the 2nd pass ends with silence in between?
in silence for sure, the team behind smash ultimate characters will def need a break. Then we will either get a 3rd pass or the next iteration of smash bros.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Trolling
we're half way through the pass its hardly the finish line youve been tripped at
Shut the **** up lol. You know what he means. (At least I hope you have a high enough IQ to understand)

Edit:
do you enjoy insulting people?
As much as enjoy seeing you be nothing but condescending douche bag to others over a forum post. I don't.

~~~

Real talk though, I don't think characters prevent characters from existing in the same game. It just factors into the likeliness of said characters. I think Sora is still in the running until the end of DLC. The same can be said about Geno (unless his costume makes an appearance on Thursday) So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I may not share the same feelings for Sora as most of you but don't be too quick to throw in the towel just yet. 👍

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord

View attachment 295291

View attachment 295292

...Um, no it wouldn't? It wouldn't be odd at all? I don't get what you're trying to get at.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The actual thing that (theoretically) blocks Sora is Disney seemingly being strict on their characters (co-owned or otherwise). If it took this long just for FF7 to get adequate representation, that must pale compared to the hoops that would need to be jumped through for Disney to comply with lending Sora. Whether or not any fighters "get" in Sora's way is a moot point.

Also, for the record, the staff does gets breaks from time to time between their work days, this isn't Naughty Dog.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The actual thing that (theoretically) blocks Sora is Disney seemingly being strict on their characters (co-owned or otherwise). If it took this long just for FF7 to get adequate representation, that must pale compared to the hoops that would need to be jumped through for Disney to comply with lending Sora.
They're not even that strict with KH specifically, according to HMK, Disney regularly hands out the license to whoever;s willing to take it.

I say "regularly" because of that one FFXIV interview, but that's the only instance I can think of to an official company having any difficulty getting the KH license.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Personally, I think Sephiroth is a GREAT inclusion into a roster that already needed more villains anyway.

Why not start off with one of the most iconic villains out there! I am somewhat surprised that the first PLAYABLE third party villain role didn't go to Eggman honestly, but at the same time I get it. I don't think Sephiroth hurts Sora's chances at all. I mean does slimmer them a bit, but I ain't counting him out just yet. I don't think he's going to be a Mii costume for him on Thursday neither, I just don't see either Nintendo or Disney putting that kind of effort for a Mii costume. Good thing it wasn't just me, but a lot of people on Twitter has pointed out a couple of KH references in Sephiroth's trailer. Honestly, if we do end up getting Sora, and if Nintendo really want to do it, Sora's reveal could honestly just be a continuation of where Sephiroth's reveal had left off and he ends up being the one that defeats Dharkon.

As other fans have pointed out recently, there's nothing that says a third party can't double-dip in the same pass. We don't know that, that's just an assumption. Square could've easily asked for both Sephiroth and Sora to be in the same pass if they really wanted to. If anything, them choosing Sephiroth just once again proves that Square would rather choose a character from a FRANCHISE that they prominently push and Final Fantasy is one of them.

If anything I do feel bad for the Geno fans out there. If anything Thursday is going to be their judgement day than it does for us.

Shut the **** up lol. You know what he means. (At least I hope you have a high enough IQ to understand)

Edit:

As much as enjoy seeing you be nothing but condescending douche bag to others over a forum post. I don't.

~~~

Real talk though, I don't think characters prevent characters from existing in the same game. It just factors into the likeliness of said characters. I think Sora is still in the running until the end of DLC. The same can be said about Geno (unless his costume makes an appearance on Thursday) So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I may not share the same feelings for Sora as most of you but don't be too quick to throw in the towel just yet. 👍
Look, I know it may not be looking good for you and your most wanted but don't come in here with this bad attitude of yours. The Geno thread may be used to you acting this way, but don't come in here and thinking that you can be a jerk.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Personally, I think Sephiroth is a GREAT inclusion into a roster that already needed more villains anyway.

Why not start off with one of the most iconic villains out there! I am somewhat surprised that the first PLAYABLE third party villain role didn't go to Eggman honestly, but at the same time I get it. I don't think Sephiroth hurts Sora's chances at all. I mean does slimmer them a bit, but I ain't counting him out just yet. I don't think he's going to be a Mii costume for him on Thursday neither, I just don't see either Nintendo or Disney putting that kind of effort for a Mii costume. Good thing it wasn't just me, but a lot of people on Twitter has pointed out a couple of KH references in Sephiroth's trailer. Honestly, if we do end up getting Sora, and if Nintendo really want to do it, Sora's reveal could honestly just be a continuation of where Sephiroth's reveal had left off and he ends up being the one that defeats Dharkon.

As other fans have pointed out recently, there's nothing that says a third party can't double-dip in the same pass. We don't know that, that's just an assumption. Square could've easily asked for both Sephiroth and Sora to be in the same pass if they really wanted to. If anything, them choosing Sephiroth just once again proves that Square would rather choose a character from a FRANCHISE that they prominently push and Final Fantasy is one of them.

If anything I do feel bad for the Geno fans out there. If anything Thursday is going to be their judgement day than it does for us.

Look, I know it may not be looking good for you and your most wanted but don't come in here with this bad attitude of yours. The Geno thread may be used to you acting this way, but don't come in here and thinking that you can be a jerk.
I wasn't going to bring this up again, but I found he was being rude to another user in the first place which is why I said what I said. He was being rude. Nothing else to it.

Regardless, the second part of my post still stands.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The actual thing that (theoretically) blocks Sora is Disney seemingly being strict on their characters (co-owned or otherwise). If it took this long just for FF7 to get adequate representation, that must pale compared to the hoops that would need to be jumped through for Disney to comply with lending Sora. Whether or not any fighters "get" in Sora's way is a moot point.

Also, for the record, the staff does gets breaks from time to time between their work days, this isn't Naughty Dog.
im afraid thats conjecture. if disney is so strict with their licences then why do they lend out their characters so often?

TriggerX

Smash Ace

View attachment 295291

View attachment 295292

Agreed, I really do feel the same way.
More important than the companies they come from I believe the overall aesthetic actually plays a big factor in character selection.
Thats why I think we are guaranteed at least 1 animal based character like Crash or Okami in this pass.

Sora though IDK. I think that he has always been this highly requested character that most people saw never happening mostly due to Disney. And with Seph being announced his inclusion seems even more unlikely. However, thats why I think he may still have a shot because for the most part he will be written off.
Also the pass is 6 characters. I think there was some truth to whatever that Imran guy said in regards to Sora being discussed at one point. There is a possibility that negotiations for Sora dragging on resulted him as this 6th dlc character.

as Nekoo mentioned, Seph could have something to do with Sora in terms of profits being 100% for each company, minus whatever Nintendo takes.

So far Im happy with most of the inclusions of DLC, so if he doesn't make it no big deal. Honestly the only characters I personally wish were replaced would be Steve and Byleth.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
And in many cases for crappy, low quality merchandise.
yeah but that wouldnt have any effect on what sakurai would do with the licence
Aye, fair enough.png

That said, the fact that Disney allows so much crappy merch at all should be an obvious indicator that they're not as strict with the Kingdom Hearts IP as people make them out to be.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I definitely don't think Disney is strict when it comes to licensing Kingdom Hearts. I just think, like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts must be expensive to license. Far, far more than Final Fantasy.

We know Sakurai has a budget with these Fighter Passes, which is why the Sakurai Presentations changed after Joker. I imagine Disney was asking for just a bit more than Nintendo had given Sakurai and his team to work with.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I definitely don't think Disney is strict when it comes to licensing Kingdom Hearts. I just think, like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts must be expensive to license. Far, far more than Final Fantasy.

We know Sakurai has a budget with these Fighter Passes, which is why the Sakurai Presentations changed after Joker. I imagine Disney was asking for just a bit more than Nintendo had given Sakurai and his team to work with.
but there are other disney properties, like mickey and co, that must be even more expensive than KH and yet we see that stuff all the time

Top Bottom