• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I was hoping Sora would come in and actually help Cloud. Maybe the trailer will continue?
Clinging on to the fact that he’s owned by Disney

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Maybe, but I highly doubt Sakurai would go to Disney just for a Sora Mii. I think Geno fans have a lot more to worry about then we do.
It isn't likely, but Sephiroth will be the best opportunity they have to show it off if it exists.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I’m torn on Sephiroth. I think he’s a cool freakin’ character, but Square has a lot of cool characters including Sora, Neku, Geno, and more that I thought to be more likely. Sephiroth is damn cool though.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I’m torn on Sephiroth. I think he’s a cool freakin’ character, but Square has a lot of cool characters including Sora, Neku, Geno, and more that I thought to be more likely. Sephiroth is damn cool though.
Big brain: They're revealing Sephiroth now so they can continue the trailer later with a Sora reveal where he shows up to help Cloud.

Normal brain: What?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Big brain: They're revealing Sephiroth now so they can continue the trailer later with a Sora reveal where he shows up to help Cloud.

Show off a KH Sephiroth costume, then follow it up with a Sora reveal.

I can dream.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I'm extremely happy Sephiroth got added to the game. He 1000% deserves his spot especially after Cloud got in it only make's sense he's just as much the face of Final Fantasy as Cloud is in my opinion. When you think of FF7 the first two characters that come to mind first are always Cloud and Sephiroth. I don't think anyone can deny that.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Most likely not again Square doesn't own Sora Disney does. So if he did get in he'd be considered a Disney rep not a Square rep.
I know but people are going to and already have jumped on to assuming Sora's chances are shot, given he is so closely linked to Square.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I know but people are going to and already have jumped on to assuming Sora's chances are shot, given he is so closely linked to Square.
Those people would be wrong. But they can keep on thinking they know anything regarding this game. Even when it's blatantly obvious no one can ****ing predict what's going on with this game behind the scenes. No sweat of the backs of people who know better then to make assumptions of anything regarding Smash.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I'm so sorry guys but it seems all of Sora's chances have drastically drop.

Maybe Smash 6 will be his chance.
Based on what exactly? Sephiroth? Sure if Sora was a Square Enix character which he is not. Sora is owned by Disney not Square. So a Square Enix rep really has zero impact on Sora specifically. Now for someone like Geno sure his chances are definitely shot due to Sephiroth getting in. Because they're both Square Enix IP, it's highly unlikely Nintendo gave Square Enix enough money to make TWO new reps for the exact same pass after already adding two massive Square IP in DQ and now FF7 again with Sephiroth it's just unrealistic.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
So.. like Sora's still good right? Since hes disney?
Well for me at least Sephiroth inspires more confidence in Sora. I'm not sure who the last 2 fighters will be but I'm happy to put a bit of stock in Sora's chance. I've dropped out of the speculation scene for a bit but I can't really think of who else could really take up the last Three slots especially with the direction Nintendo has chosen for the characters so far.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well for me at least Sephiroth inspires more confidence in Sora. I'm not sure who the last 2 fighters will be but I'm happy to put a bit of stock in Sora's chance. I've dropped out of the speculation scene for a bit but I can't really think of who else could really take up the last two slots especially with the direction Nintendo has chosen for the characters so far.
There are three more fighters to go.

Unless you know who's next...

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I guess people are really gonna stress harder the "Sora is technically not an SE character" thing not that Sephiroth got in.
And that should've been the case a while ago. I still have this itching feeling that people are gonna actively use this as an excuse to stifle support, but we have all the evidence needed to shut those comments down, so yeah.

With that being said I'm now doubling down on a comment I made earlier. With Sephiroth as a new fighter (Of which I'm pretty sure was originally meant to capitalize on the hype of FF7R), I'm convinced that this is a clear cut sign that Sora's in. M@R!3 said that SE not owning Sora prevented that kind of leverage from taking shape, and it's a fair point that I can't go against with any real evidence, but this is too much. Sephiroth literally checks off all the boxes that I had in mind when I suggested that SE would want another character in Smash in return for their approval. A game series that can be promoted, has a heavy backing as far as fans are concerned (Not specifically referring to Smash, but in general), and generates a LOT of buzz that puts SE on the map! Right now I wanna do some research. Try to piece together a solid case to make this a more concrete argument, but yeah, I'm really feeling this one. I don't know if that's thanks to the hype following Sephiroth's reveal, or what, but my hope for Sora is sky high.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, uh... there's also the possibility that he'll end up a Mii costume... Should probably wait to see how that pans out before I jump into any heavy conclusions... But yeah.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
And that should've been the case a while ago. I still have this itching feeling that people are gonna actively use this as an excuse to stifle support, but we have all the evidence needed to shut those comments down, so yeah.

With that being said I'm now doubling down on a comment I made earlier. With Sephiroth as a new fighter (Of which I'm pretty sure was originally meant to capitalize on the hype of FF7R), I'm convinced that this is a clear cut sign that Sora's in. M@R!3 said that SE not owning Sora prevented that kind of leverage from taking shape, and it's a fair point that I can't go against with any real evidence, but this is too much. Sephiroth literally checks off all the boxes that I had in mind when I suggested that SE would want another character in Smash in return for their approval. A game series that can be promoted, has a heavy backing as far as fans are concerned (Not specifically referring to Smash, but in general), and generates a LOT of buzz that puts SE on the map! Right now I wanna do some research. Try to piece together a solid case to make this a more concrete argument, but yeah, I'm really feeling this one. I don't know if that's thanks to the hype following Sephiroth's reveal, or what, but my hope for Sora is sky high.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, uh... there's also the possibility that he'll end up a Mii costume... Should probably wait to see how that pans out before I jump into any heavy conclusions... But yeah.
I feel like them subverting the World of Light Opening in this trailer defintley leaves the door open for Sora. I mean, there has to be someone who comes along and kills Dharkon likes this too right? And what better than the kid who shouts about darkness every damn game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i was thinking the same thing

Well, no KH alt. but there is a shirtless one.
not surprised

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Now for someone like Geno sure his chances are definitely shot due to Sephiroth getting in. Because they're both Square Enix IP, it's highly unlikely Nintendo gave Square Enix enough money to make TWO new reps for the exact same pass after already adding two massive Square IP in DQ and now FF7 again with Sephiroth it's just unrealistic.
I can see it go both way:
  • Sephiroth is the Square pick therefore Geno won't be a fighter (but maybe a Mii)
  • Sephiroth was part of the deal to get Geno in as a fighter
A have zero interest in Geno, and I personally think he won't get a slot as a fighter, but I wouldn't put him out of the competition yet.

The most disturbing thing with Sephiroth is not that he is in this pass in itself. It's that he's not one of the usual front-runner (Doom, Crash, Ryu, Capcom, etc.), thus all the usual competitors are still all well alive. This has probably terribly reduced the chances of 2B or Lara Croft, but it has, at the same time, increased the chances for another Sonic or Street Fighter rep.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
M@R!3 said that SE not owning Sora prevented that kind of leverage from taking shape, and it's a fair point that I can't go against with any real evidence, but this is too much.

EDIT:
To be fair, I can't exactly prove Square lacks that level of influence either, but it was said that Disney asks Square for approval out of respect. That's a pretty big step down from being even a partial rights holder, but we still don't know how much leverage this actually grants Square.

It's going to be a long week.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Now I know this is probably super toxic but.... **** this is funny. 😂View attachment 295090
Well, it's certainly super toxic.

To be fair, I can't exactly prove Square lacks that level of influence either, but it was said that Disney asks Square for approval out of respect. That's a pretty big step down from being even a partial rights holder, but we still don't know how much leverage this actually grants Square.
I'm aware of that, which is why I think your claim has a lot of weight to it. In the end, we don't really know. However, if Disney came at this from a "If they say no, we say no" stance, then I think that would grant them just enough leverage to work out something along the lines of a promotional inclusion in Smash. This is potentially a really exciting prospect.

Top Bottom