• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
You also have to remember Nintendo's getting a theme park with one of their biggest rivals
That's a completly unrelated business endeavour and has absolutely zero to do with whatever talks Disney and Nintendo may have, or have had about Sora's inclusion into the game. Therefore that argument is a complete non point.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Recently, I've been seeing a lot of channels try to re-kindle the perspective of Sora technically being a SE rep. Reason being that Disney wanting SE's (and Nomura's) blessing before doing anything with the character. I'm not gonna lie, this aggravates me to some extent because it's a load of bull, Sora's still a Disney character with or without their permission. It's even more aggravating when I see people use this to force a Sora vs. Geno argument.

With that being said, I feel like it's brought something up that I hadn't really put much thought into: What would SE want in return for agreeing with Sora's inclusion? And this a legit question, I'd want to read you guy's thoughts on it because I have two ideas of my own. I'll just list them off;

1. Another one of their characters in Smash.
People tend to say that SE is super stingy with their IPs, but considering we have 5 of their character's in the game as well as their confusing copyright issues, I think that this perspective is over-exaggerated. They've also been using Smash to promote their Switch games lately (in the form of spirit events).

2. The rights to use Nintendo's IPs for a big project.
I mean, the opportunity is there. Something like a Super Mario RPG 2 in an age where 2/3 of the Mario RPG titles are no longer trying to fill that role? Another sports title featuring Final Fantasy characters? Another Board game? A proper action adventure/ RPG crossover? Who knows? but I could see this being a part of the price SE lays down for Nintendo.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Recently, I've been seeing a lot of channels try to re-kindle the perspective of Sora technically being a SE rep. Reason being that Disney wanting SE's (and Nomura's) blessing before doing anything with the character. I'm not gonna lie, this aggravates me to some extent because it's a load of bull, Sora's still a Disney character with or without their permission. It's even more aggravating when I see people use this to force a Sora vs. Geno argument.

With that being said, I feel like it's brought something up that I hadn't really put much thought into: What would SE want in return for agreeing with Sora's inclusion? And this a legit question, I'd want to read you guy's thoughts on it because I have two ideas of my own. I'll just list them off;

1. Another one of their characters in Smash.
People tend to say that SE is super stingy with their IPs, but considering we have 5 of their character's in the game as well as their confusing copyright issues, I think that this perspective is over-exaggerated. They've also been using Smash to promote their Switch games lately (in the form of spirit events).

2. The rights to use Nintendo's IPs for a big project.
I mean, the opportunity is there. Something like a Super Mario RPG 2 in an age where 2/3 of the Mario RPG titles are no longer trying to fill that role? Another sports title featuring Final Fantasy characters? Another Board game? A proper action adventure/ RPG crossover? Who knows? but I could see this being a part of the price SE lays down for Nintendo.
I think the more important question is "Can Square ask anything of Nintendo in return for use of an IP owned by Disney?".
The answer I'm leaning towards is no. But given the difficulties with getting KH Mickey and the Kingdom Key in Disney Infinity, and the KH content in Disney Tsum Tsum being time limited despite it being an exclusively Disney product it's clear Square has quite a bit of pull. Stingy or not, I don't think this is a good thing for Sora's chances in Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the more important question is "Can Square ask anything of Nintendo in return for use of an IP owned by Disney?".
The answer I'm leaning towards is no. But given the difficulties with getting KH Mickey and the Kingdom Key in Disney Infinity, and the KH content in Disney Tsum Tsum being time limited despite it being an exclusively Disney product it's clear Square has quite a bit of pull. Stingy or not, I don't think this is a good thing for Sora's chances in Smash.
do we know whose things are down to SE? sora was temporary in world of final fantasy

M@R!3

Smash Ace
do we know whose things are down to SE? sora was temporary in world of final fantasy
We know there was a lot of difficulty getting approval, on top of back and forth discussion on portraying KH Mickey and Kingdom Key right in Disney Infinity. I can't think of who else they would go to for that aside from Square/Nomura.

There's some hope with Disney Tsum Tsum. It's a pretty typical mobile game, and as such is no stranger to having timed events with exclusive content.
So the time limited nature of KH content in that game isn't unusual when they're also doing the same with Marvel, Star Wars, etc. After seeing that it's more likely to be the business model rather than any interference from Square. There's also no Square owned content in it currently. The only non Disney property I could find was Pac-man.

Still, I really wish we had some examples of crossover KH content that wasn't time limited, locked behind an absurd paywall, a collaboration with Square, or all of the above. The best we've got is WoFF, which was free for whoever wanted it but still had a time limit.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We know there was a lot of difficulty getting approval, on top of back and forth discussion on portraying KH Mickey and Kingdom Key right in Disney Infinity. I can't think of who else they would go to for that aside from Square/Nomura.

There's some hope with Disney Tsum Tsum. It's a pretty typical mobile game, and as such is no stranger to having timed events with exclusive content.
So the time limited nature of KH content in that game isn't unusual when they're also doing the same with Marvel, Star Wars, etc. After seeing that it's more likely to be the business model rather than any interference from Square. There's also no Square owned content in it currently. The only non Disney property I could find was Pac-man.

Still, I really wish we had some examples of crossover KH content that wasn't time limited, locked behind an absurd paywall, a collaboration with Square, or all of the above. The best we've got is WoFF, which was free for whoever wanted it but still had a time limit.
i think the crossover in FF record keeper was permeant

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

As far as Disney infinity is concerned, the only difficulties the team had was making sure that the Keyblade /gamplay was done right. At least, that's all I could find in the interviews. They even Openly admitted that Kingdom Hearts belonged to Disney (which pisses me off. How did none of us know of this interview prior to the start of Ultimate's roster speculation?!), implying that discussions between the two companies were restricted to the proper portrayal of what was being designed.

An interesting tid-bit about Disney Tsum-Tsum, Disney actually released some official plushies not too long ago. I mean, I know official merch is different from character rights for a game, but since these plushies were the direct result of the game in question, I though it'd be worth mentioning here.
I'd think so. After all, if they're being asked for permission anyway, then they would have a kind of leverage to make specific demands.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I'd think so. After all, if they're being asked for permission anyway, then they would have a kind of leverage to make specific demands.
I'd expect some degree of leverage in terms of creative control, but basically nothing beyond that since Square has no ownership. If part of their arrangement with Disney gives them a place at the table, or a cut in these situations, then that's different. Either way, the difficulty in coming to an agreement goes up with the number of parties involved.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Last edited by a moderator:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
i think the crossover in FF record keeper was permeant
The characters from KH and their stuff that people got are indeed added permanently, but neither a new player can get the characters, nor anybody can get their gear nowadays. Everything was time-limited to unlock, even if everything is not time-limited to use. The little KH content we got is nearly unusable nowadays.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The characters from KH and their stuff that people got are indeed added permanently, but neither a new player can get the characters, nor anybody can get their gear nowadays. Everything was time-limited to unlock, even if everything is not time-limited to use. The little KH content we got is nearly unusable nowadays.
well i abandoned it a while ago

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I feel like whichever character gets announced today will probably be an East and West appeal character as it's an internationally hosted event this year. I think Sora would fit the bill, so fingers crossed for this one. There's like 15 characters I'd absolutely love to see, and Sora is right near the top!

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
Alright lads, with the reveal at the TGAs tonight, who do you all think it will be, do you guys think it's actually going to be Sora (please), or are you thinking someone else. Personally, I have three predictions, and in order of likelihood they are Crash, Geno, and Doom Slayer, then Sora would probably be all the way at the bottom. I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Well THAT was one hell of a way to wake up this morning

The door may yet be unlocking before our eyes, lads. Sora is absolutely the kind of "Blow the roof off" reveal that would happen at the Game Awards; the kind of reveal everyone swears is 'impossible', yet Ultimate keeps making the impossible possible.

All we can do now is wait and see

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
After the absolute curveball that was Steve's reveal a few months back, I don't know who to "realistically" expect from the reveal tonight because of how unexpected Steve was for me. But if it ends up being Sora as I desperately wish for, I will most likely faint from happiness.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Been picturing a Sora reveal at the Game Awards. Now that we know there will be a reveal I can now feel like there is hope for that happening and that it's not just a delusion.

Fingers crossed I guess.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
After the absolute curveball that was Steve's reveal a few months back, I don't know who to "realistically" expect from the reveal tonight because of how unexpected Steve was for me. But if it ends up being Sora as I desperately wish for, I will most likely faint from happiness.
steve was a curveball for you?

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Definitely leaning towards Crash right now. That "woah" comment from Geoff Keighley is about as subtle as a dump truck driving through my living room wall, but I just don't see any other way to interpret it.

Top Bottom