• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Said before I'd be down for a Theathrhythm Kingdom Hearts so I'm actually pretty excited by Melody of Memory. Really cool to see the whole second phase thing and KH 2020 road map.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Guys, I'm here to possibly raise some hopes after I've spent the day complaining about the lack of Smash announcements

The more and more I think of it, the more and more I'm beginning to believe Sora has a legitimate chance. No, it's not because a KH game is suddenly on Switch and that means he's in, it's because there's sort of this feeling in the air that KH is going to make a huge push in all sectors this year and beyond that.

--After two decades of being exclusive to Nintendo and Sony (but mostly Sony), in a move that surprises everyone, the series makes the leap to Xbox with KH3, and then followed by the Story So Far Collection
--The rumors that Square is making an animated KH series for Disney+ being backed up by a lot of media and industry journalists with solid reputations who are flat out saying "Yes, this is real and it is happening"

--The big Kingdom Hearts Phase 2 roadmap with several empty spots for more announcements

1592376295960.png

--Union Cross is entering its final chapters
--Dark Road is launching next Monday, even if it IS more mobile games it's still a Kingdom Hearts release.
--Memory of Melody also launching this year, Switch included, which definitely helps.
--The sudden EXPLOSION of merchandise oozing out of every GameStop, Hot Topic, and Party City. It used to be that you had to import from Japan to even get scraps of KH merch, but now there's so many you don't know which way to turn

There's never been a time this jam packed with KH stuff, not that I recall. Usually it's a year or two between releases but now they're cramming it all into this year and rolling right into next. Kingdom Hearts has, up until very recently, been a niche series. KH3 was the first time the series truly went mainstream. It was pushed so damn hard that the E3 before its release gave it like THREE SEPERATE TRAILERS between Xbox, Square, and Sony's conferences EACH
--The Frozen Trailer at Xbox's conference
--The Pirates of the Carribean trailer at Sony's conference
--The general trailer at Square's conference

When was the last time a single game got showcased in multiple E3 press conferences? That's proof of how hard Square and Disney were pushing to get Kingdom Hearts in the public awareness. This roadmap says to me that they want to keep up the momentum and turn Kingdom Hearts into a household name. So the idea that they actually worked something out to potentially get Sora into Smash to push even further isn't that farfetched, to me at least. Disney isn't stupid, they know there's fan demand and they know that exposure in Smash Bros. is worth its weight in gold; and having Sora in to cement Kingdom Hearts status as a legendary series... well, yeah!

Of course, all of this paints Sora as the dreaded "shill pick", but just like Dragon Quest and Hero, Sora and Kingdom Hearts is already a big request that I the inclusion would feel earned regardless.

Keep the light shining in your hearts, guys. We have five slots left, and after today I'd say Sora has more of a chance than ever. Not a lock, to be sure, but he's not as impossible as everyone says he is, especially not now

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Lots of news recently. It'll be interesting to see how Melody of Memory performs, especially on Switch. The road map is certainly a nice change from being left in the dark for a couple of years, but in order for it to be well received there will have to be a new, more traditional, KH game on it somewhere.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Guys, I'm here to possibly raise some hopes after I've spent the day complaining about the lack of Smash announcements

The more and more I think of it, the more and more I'm beginning to believe Sora has a legitimate chance. No, it's not because a KH game is suddenly on Switch and that means he's in, it's because there's sort of this feeling in the air that KH is going to make a huge push in all sectors this year and beyond that. I mean, just look at what's been happening recently

--The rumors that Square is making an animated KH series for Disney+ being backed up by a lot of media and industry journalists with solid reputations who are flat out saying "Yes, this is real and it is happening"

--The big Kingdom Hearts Phase 2 roadmap with several empty spots for more announcements

View attachment 275051

--Dark Road is launching next Monday, even if it IS more mobile games it's still a Kingdom Hearts release.
--Memory of Melody also launching this year, Switch included, which definitely helps.

There's never been a time this jam packed with KH stuff, not that I recall. Usually it's a year or two between releases but now they're cramming it all into this year and rolling right into next. Kingdom Hearts has, up until very recently, been a niche series. KH3 was the first time the series truly went mainstream. It was pushed so damn hard that the E3 before its release gave it like THREE SEPERATE TRAILERS between Xbox, Square, and Sony's conferences EACH

When was the last time a single game got showcased in multiple E3 press conferences? That's proof of how hard Square and Disney were pushing to get Kingdom Hearts in the public awareness. This roadmap says to me that they want to keep up the momentum and keep eyes on it. So the idea that they actually worked something out to potentially get Sora into Smash to push even further isn't that farfetched, to me at least.

Of course, all of this paints Sora as the dreaded "shill pick", but just like Dragon Quest and Hero, Sora and Kingdom Hearts is already a big request that I the inclusion would feel earned regardless.

Keep the light shining in your hearts, guys. We have five slots left, and after today I'd say Sora has more of a chance than ever. Not a lock, to be sure, but he's not as impossible as everyone says he is, especially not now
I wont lie when I say I also feel a certain feeling in the air

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lots of news recently. It'll be interesting to see how Melody of Memory performs, especially on Switch. The road map is certainly a nice change from being left in the dark for a couple of years, but in order for it to be well received there will have to be a new, more traditional, KH game on it somewhere.
On that note, what are the chances that assets from III will be reused for ease of development?

On my end, I hope that even if Mickey, Donald and Goofy are out of the scene for the time being (MoM aside), there can still be a few standalone Disney worlds from time to time, since they didn't get to other Pixar films just yet (and I'd like to see Princess and the Frog).

M@R!3

Smash Ace
On that note, what are the chances that assets from III will be reused for ease of development?

On my end, I hope that even if Mickey, Donald and Goofy are out of the scene for the time being (MoM aside), there can still be a few standalone Disney worlds from time to time, since they didn't get to other Pixar films just yet (and I'd like to see Princess and the Frog).
KH3 assets are being used for MoM cut scenes so I'm sure they'll reuse as much as possible.

I think we'll still be seeing plenty of Disney worlds. I'm not sure how many of them will be new as most of the remaining unused options seem more like they'll be saved for KH4. Since we probably won't be playing as Sora for awhile reusing some of the classic worlds could be more viable. There will be opportunities for new interactions between characters who have never met before, and trying to find Sora is a solid plot reason for revisiting places he's been.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

The more and more I think of it, the more and more I'm beginning to believe Sora has a legitimate chance. No, it's not because a KH game is suddenly on Switch and that means he's in, it's because there's sort of this feeling in the air that KH is going to make a huge push in all sectors this year and beyond that. I mean, just look at what's been happening recently

View attachment 275051

When was the last time a single game got showcased in multiple E3 press conferences? That's proof of how hard Square and Disney were pushing to get Kingdom Hearts in the public awareness. This roadmap says to me that they want to keep up the momentum and keep eyes on it. So the idea that they actually worked something out to potentially get Sora into Smash to push even further isn't that farfetched, to me at least.

You're definitely not wrong, I do feel that too. They want to promote this series in many ways now + there was a statement not so long ago that Disney want game devs to play around with their IPs + yes we gotta bring up that there is a game coming to switch and we know thats the version that will sell the most over there in Japan. Honestly having Sora in Smash now almost feels like the only right time to make him useful in a profitable way for both Disney and Nintendo.
Now… this could be at any point of the pass haha, so we still have a long wait ahead to see what's Sora's fate… kinda sucks, but here's hoping.

Edit: altho I do have to say, since Sora would be a big hitter, i think his best chances (but not the only ones of course) would be the fighters that usually land on big game events like E3, so maybe… FP7 or 8, and 10. I dunno, just a thought, they honestly could very well not be doing any of that at all, since they are not gonna keep 3rd party IP owners waiting for funny timming moments of Nintendo's own marketing.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
KH3 assets are being used for MoM cut scenes so I'm sure they'll reuse as much as possible.

I think we'll still be seeing plenty of Disney worlds. I'm not sure how many of them will be new as most of the remaining unused options seem more like they'll be saved for KH4. Since we probably won't be playing as Sora for awhile reusing some of the classic worlds could be more viable. There will be opportunities for new interactions between characters who have never met before, and trying to find Sora is a solid plot reason for revisiting places he's been.
Any excuse to have a Snake Jafar boss fight would be fine by me. Although having to make us go through Frozen 2 is much likelier than that.

Apart from that, I have to wonder just how difficult MoM is going to be, seeing as we have to go through over a hundred songs...

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Any excuse to have a Snake Jafar boss fight would be fine by me. Although having to make us go through Frozen 2 is much likelier than that.

Apart from that, I have to wonder just how difficult MoM is going to be, seeing as we have to go through over a hundred songs...
Snake Jafar would be awesome. Frozen 2 is inevitable.

My entire experience with rhythm games comes from KH. Atlantica in KH2 was tolerable. The ice cream mini-game in BBS was not. Either way, I don't think I'll be touching this one. It's just not my thing, and even the KH soundtrack is unlikely to sway me.

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet

View attachment 275051

Man, I see what you're saying but, don't do that, don't give me hope.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I hope at least they announce the HD collections for Switch before putting Sora in. I don't want another Joker situation.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Snake Jafar would be awesome. Frozen 2 is inevitable.

My entire experience with rhythm games comes from KH. Atlantica in KH2 was tolerable. The ice cream mini-game in BBS was not. Either way, I don't think I'll be touching this one. It's just not my thing, and even the KH soundtrack is unlikely to sway me.
snake jafar was in unchained x

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm going to just leave this right here

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Pretty much.
And let's add to that the statement that was brought up once again not a long time ago that Disney want game developers to play around with their IPs, lol. The whole belief of them not letting anyone use Sora is completely baseless to begin with, and there's a lot of contradictions already to it as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Don't forget Disney also allowed Thanos to be in Fortnite and that was during all the Infinity War/Endgame hype. Thanos being in the game was a HUGE deal.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

Lenny my man
FDhvpMk.jpg

Because you are giving me a lot of hope rn

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So here I am, minding my own business on a fine afternoon when I see ZeRo uploaded a vid dissecting Min Min's gameplay. I don't care for his vids that much but I may as well see what the pros think of her

I open the vid... and the sponsor of the video is DISNEY

Okay, in all seriousness this is probably just Disney looking to any number of YouTubers for sponsorships and not just Smashtubers as far as I know... but the fact that Disney is at all sponsoring YouTubers is something radically new and different. It shows they're taking the gaming industry seriously now... something they've not done up until the big push to make KH3 mainstream

Something to chew on, I think

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
So here I am, minding my own business on a fine afternoon when I see ZeRo uploaded a vid dissecting Min Min's gameplay. I don't care for his vids that much but I may as well see what the pros think of her

Okay, in all seriousness this is probably just Disney looking to any number of YouTubers for sponsorships and not just Smashtubers as far as I know... but the fact that Disney is at all sponsoring YouTubers is something radically new and different. It shows they're taking the gaming industry seriously now... something they've not done up until the big push to make KH3 mainstream

Disney, you acting mad weird right now, keep it up, I like it

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I definitely hope FP7 is Sora, considering that FP7 would've been most likely the E3 reveal had we not been affected by the virus and such. Either FP7 or FP10 (next E3 reveal most likely) i feel like it could be Sora

M@R!3

Smash Ace
8f5.png
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I honestly don't know what to think of that. Very difficult to ignore too.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Disney, you acting mad weird right now, keep it up, I like it
View attachment 275979
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I honestly don't know what to think of that. Very difficult to ignore too.
To build off of this: If this had been like a sponsor of Marvel or Star Wars I'd have barely thought twice about it. They're owned by Disney sure, but there's sort of a degree of separation there.

But this is a sponsored plug for Pirates of the Carribean that's as vanilla Disney as you can get. Also, the fact that this IS a sponsored plug to begin with! A YouTube ad is one thing, but this is like a "Raid Shadow Legends"-style plug from a YouTuber, and not just any YouTuber, a Smashtuber, ZeRo. Disney NEVER does that! Disney has historically been very hands-off with the game industry and are content to sit on their laurels and let their sheer brand power speak for itself.

Only just recently does it seem they're taking an interest in the game industry, what with them stating how they want other developers to handle their IPs, the sudden push to making Kingdom Hearts mainstream, and now reaching out to YouTubers for plugs. Heck, not just any YouTuber either, a Smashtuber

I'm yet to see anyone else sponsor this game, but I'm looking to see if this is an isolated incident. On one hand, on paper this sounds like Pepe Silvia levels of "I'VE CONNECTED DOTS!" and that I sound like a chump

But at the same time... This combined with everything else in my big master post a little while back... I just can't help but wonder

M@R!3

Smash Ace
To build off of this: If this had been like a sponsor of Marvel or Star Wars I'd have barely thought twice about it. They're owned by Disney sure, but there's sort of a degree of separation there.

But this is a sponsored plug for Pirates of the Carribean that's as vanilla Disney as you can get. Also, the fact that this IS a sponsored plug to begin with! A YouTube ad is one thing, but this is like a "Raid Shadow Legends"-style plug from a YouTuber, and not just any YouTuber, a Smashtuber, ZeRo. Disney NEVER does that! Disney has historically been very hands-off with the game industry and are content to sit on their laurels and let their sheer brand power speak for itself.

Only just recently does it seem they're taking an interest in the game industry, what with them stating how they want other developers to handle their IPs, the sudden push to making Kingdom Hearts mainstream, and now reaching out to YouTubers for plugs. Heck, not just any YouTuber either, a Smashtuber

I'm yet to see anyone else sponsor this game, but I'm looking to see if this is an isolated incident. On one hand, on paper this sounds like Pepe Silvia levels of "I'VE CONNECTED DOTS!" and that I sound like a chump

But at the same time... This combined with everything else in my big master post a little while back... I just can't help but wonder
Disney has taken an interest in the game industry before with their own internal development studios. This can be seen with the acquisition and subsequent closure of LucasArts, and the more recent closure of Disney Interactive Studios. Disney's recent invitation to devs and publisher to license content isn't all that different from what they've done prior to their internal development efforts. They just seem to be far more open about it, and one would assume, more willing to cooperate.

I'm curious to see who is responsible for the marketing on the Pirates mobile game. From what I understand most licensed products marketing falls on the publisher of said product, but if Disney themselves is actually responsible for the ad then that would indicate a much greater interest on their end. I may have to keep an eye on Disney's social media accounts to see if they mention game content more frequently. Back during KH3's pre-release and release windows it only got a couple of minor adverts on Disney's FB/Twitter. Everything appears to have fallen on Square.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Disney has taken an interest in the game industry before with their own internal development studios. This can be seen with the acquisition and subsequent closure of LucasArts, and the more recent closure of Disney Interactive Studios. Disney's recent invitation to devs and publisher to license content isn't all that different from what they've done prior to their internal development efforts. They just seem to be far more open about it, and one would assume, more willing to cooperate.

I'm curious to see who is responsible for the marketing on the Pirates mobile game. From what I understand most licensed products marketing falls on the publisher of said product, but if Disney themselves is actually responsible for the ad then that would indicate a much greater interest on their end. I may have to keep an eye on Disney's social media accounts to see if they mention game content more frequently. Back during KH3's pre-release and release windows it only got a couple of minor adverts on Disney's FB/Twitter. Everything appears to have fallen on Square.
we had buses with kh3 adverts on them going about for ages, its was quite nice to see a friendly video game character on the side of a bus instead of some aggro bully

M@R!3

Smash Ace
we had buses with kh3 adverts on them going about for ages, its was quite nice to see a friendly video game character on the side of a bus instead of some aggro bully
There were also a few billboards up with Sora on them with the phrase "Kindness is key.", but without knowing who paid for those ads it doesn't help us. It does at least confirm that KH3 had a big push from someone though. It paid off for Square and Disney either way since KH3 sold very well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There were also a few billboards up with Sora on them with the phrase "Kindness is key.", but without knowing who paid for those ads it doesn't help us. It does at least confirm that KH3 had a big push from someone though. It paid off for Square and Disney either way since KH3 sold very well.
we dont really get billboards where i am

Organization Coats (both hooded and unhooded) for Mii Costumes when Sora gets in pls.

oh good im not the only one who thinks this

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I'm surprised nobody posted anything about this
Sora still hitting top 5 is still a good thing here.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!
It's been really interesting for Sora speculation lately. We've seen Disney releasing 2 games on the Switch exclusively (one of which used to be a multiplatform series AND is one of their bigger IPs), giving away free Nintendo switches in a showing of Frozen 2, invited gaming companies to use their IPs, started heavily pushing KH content like crazy, and now potentially this. They're driving me crazy.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
I always get excited for new Spirits that come with new DLC characters, since I like seeing how different characters are represented in Smash through the different combinations of stages, characters, AI behavior, and other gimmicks. So I did some thinking about a few KH Spirits that could fit with Sora if he gets into the game. Yes, even for the main Disney characters. I tried to come up with as many details as I could, including hypothetical music tracks. Please share additional Spirit Battle ideas with me if you'd like!

King Mickey: Advanced Support Spirit
Effect: Air Attack Up

Battle Details:
Type: Shield
Puppet Fighter: Mr. Game & Watch (Color 1)
Stage: Flat Zone X
Music: Working Together (KH 2.5)
Conditions:
- The enemy favors Down Air Attacks.
- The enemy has increased jump power.
- The enemy has increased move speed.
Inspiration: G&W's Down Air is literally a giant key, go figure. The jump and movement boosts reflect Mickey's acrobatic fighting style. G&W (and Flat Zone X) additionally reflect Mickey's appearance in Timeless River with the monochrome colors, not to mention the Game and Watch styled minigames you could collect in KHII, which star Sora and Mickey.

Donald & Goofy: Advanced Support Spirit
Effect: Weapon Attack Up

Battle Details:
Type: Grab
Puppet Fighters: Duck Hunt (Color 2), and Invisible Robin (Color 5)
Stage: Peach's Castle (N64) (Battlefield Form)
Music: Working Together (KH 2.5)
Conditions:
- The enemy is invisible. (Applies to Robin)
- Defeat the main fighter to win. (Applies to Duck Hunt)
- The enemy shields often. (Applies to Duck Hunt)
Unlisted Details:
- The Robin will spam Arcfire, Thunder, and Elwind.
Inspiration: Duck Hunt is a cartoony dog and duck duo; sounds a lot like Goofy and Donald, doesn't it? The Invisible Robin gives the illusion that "Donald" is casting his magic, while "Goofy" shields constantly since a shield is his weapon of choice. The stage stands in for Disney Castle.

Riku (Kingdom Hearts): Advanced Primary Spirit (Neutral Type)
Effect: Enhanceable at Level 99
Support Slots: 2

Enhanced Form: Riku (Kingdom Hearts III): Ace Primary Spirit (Neutral Type)
Effect: Critical Health Stats Up Up

Battle Details:
Type: Neutral
Puppet Fighter: Chrom (Color 5)
Stage: Dracula's Castle (Omega Form)
Music: Forze Del Male (Re:Mind Data Remix)
Rules:
- Enemy: Attack Power Up
Conditions:
- The enemy starts with damage but is more powerful.
- The enemy starts with an enhanced Rage Blaster.
- The enemy has increased attack power when at high damage.
Inspiration: Based around the Riku boss fights in Hollow Bastion from KH1, with Dracula's Castle being the stand in for Hollow Bastion itself. The Trade Off Attacks effect shows that Darkness grants power at a terrible price, while the increased power when at high damage is like when Riku goes into his "desperation mode" when he's taken enough damage in his boss fight. The Rage Blaster's shots look a lot like Dark Firaga and goes with the Trade Off Attacks effect too. Enhanceable as a way to reflect his character growth throughout the franchise, ending with him being in total control of his darkness.

Kairi: Ace Support Spirit
Effect: Critical Health Healing

Battle Details:
Type: Shield
Puppet Fighters: Lucina (Color 4), Chrom (Color 4), Sora
Stage: Delfino Plaza (Isolated Island Area)
Music: Night of Fate (KH 1.5)
Rules:
- Enemy: Health Recovery
Conditions:
- Defeat the main fighter to win. (Applies to Lucina)
- Reinforcements will appear during the battle. (Applies to Chrom and Sora)
- The enemy is healed significantly when the enemy's at high damage. (Applies to Lucina)
Inspiration: Kairi, as a supportive friend, is a support spirit who has healing magic, fitting for a princess of heart. Delfino Plaza stands in for Destiny Islands, while Chrom (Riku) and Sora himself try to protect her from you.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Hey all, so I did a little digging into that Pirates mobile game that ZeRo was plugging in his Min Min video

The game is published by a Chinese company called Joycity. It's entirely possible THEY were the ones to reach out to him for a sponsorship... but I can't help but think it would still have to go through Disney first. Joycity doesn't have many games under their belt and Pirates is their ONLY game with a major IP brand. Plus ZeRo has Disney's name in big bold letters in the corner as he does his sponsored spiel

Unfortunately that doesn't exactly answer our question: Why would Disney be interested in sponsoring a Smashtuber? I've yet to see any other YouTuber be sponsored by Disney for this Pirates game either

It's all very strange

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey all, so I did a little digging into that Pirates mobile game that ZeRo was plugging in his Min Min video

The game is published by a Chinese company called Joycity. It's entirely possible THEY were the ones to reach out to him for a sponsorship... but I can't help but think it would still have to go through Disney first. Joycity doesn't have many games under their belt and Pirates is their ONLY game with a major IP brand. Plus ZeRo has Disney's name in big bold letters in the corner as he does his sponsored spiel

Unfortunately that doesn't exactly answer our question: Why would Disney be interested in sponsoring a Smashtuber? I've yet to see any other YouTuber be sponsored by Disney for this Pirates game either

It's all very strange
perhaps he begged

Top Bottom