• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys believe Sora's final smash should be? I'm of the opinion that Ragnarok would be the safe pick, seeing as how it is typically the featured move for Sora when he appears in crossover material (i.e: World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Record Keeper). I also think options such as a solo Trinity Limit or something that involves his Drive Forms could be great choices, as well. I'm just trying to think up of a viable moveset for him and would like to hear some outside opinions for perspective.
Seeing as how cinematic final smashes are one type of standard, my pick would be Trinity Limit with Riku and Kairi in place of Donald and Goofy.

In the latest Famitsu article, Sakurai stated with full confirmation that characters this time around are heavily weighted from the Smash Ballot. I know that Sora was a highly requested character in the Ballot, especially at the beginning. Hopefully Disney will be willing to shake hands in this scenario and allow Sora. Sora’s the only character I desired in the Smash Ballot and I will die a very happy man if he is added to the game, even as DLC.
Highly requested? I don't think we actually know the full results of the ballot other than Bayonetta being top ranked in multiple countries and King K. Rool also being a top rank.

Ok guys, take this with a grain of salt but the leaker vergeben is now saying square enix is gonna get a new character but he doesn't know who. So you never know it could be Sora, maybe a Zack echo for Cloud or probably Geno since square owns him
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76928398?jumpto=100#100
It's most likely Geno if what his sources says is true. There seems be a trend where mii costumes becomes actual fighters or assist trophies. So far it's happened 3 times already with Inkling, King K. Rool, and Chrom. While the assist trophy promotions happened 3 times with Knuckles, Rathalos, and Zero.

Part of me hopes it's Sora seeing as how Nomura has talked with Sakurai before about Cloud, but my brain thinks it's probably going to be something else.

Other potential candidates:
Chrono (Retro like Simon, and his game being a heavy hitter for SNES and JRPGs. There seems to be a trend of reviving characters that aren't relevant anymore. And to my knowledge: Ridley, Simon, and King K. Rool aren't exactly relevant when it comes to new games.)
Black Mage (People are sleeping on the possibility of another Final Fantasy fighter. Black Mage is from a different game and known to a lot of people)

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Suppose it's possible that we get both. Maybe both Geno AND Sora make it in to appeal to different generations of gamers? Both are easily the most highly requested Square characters not in already and it's looking like Nomura and Disney would both be willing to give the green light to Sakurai considering how true he stayed to K. Rool.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Suppose it's possible that we get both. Maybe both Geno AND Sora make it in to appeal to different generations of gamers? Both are easily the most highly requested Square characters not in already and it's looking like Nomura and Disney would both be willing to give the green light to Sakurai considering how true he stayed to K. Rool.
This is the ideal scenario for Sora. If Geno, then Sora. And I very much hope this happens.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
personally im against geno
Why? Personally, I'd never be against a character, though I understand certain picks may hinder others. If Sora and Geno could make it in, that'd be the best case scenario for both fans, a classic highly requested character as well as a modern one who's biggest game is on the horizon.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why? Personally, I'd never be against a character, though I understand certain picks may hinder others. If Sora and Geno could make it in, that'd be the best case scenario for both fans, a classic highly requested character as well as a modern one who's biggest game is on the horizon.
mostly cause i think hes a poor representative for the mario series

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
on't think Mii costumes from the Wii U game would matter with deciding on Newcomers since Simon and Richter never got a Mii costume, the rights issues do have a point. How could Sakurai and Disney agree to put Sora in? With all the Kingdom Hearts original content being partly owned by Disney, it's a huge licensing nightmare to have Sora in with cameos from Riku, Roxas, Kairi, Axel, plus stages based on Twilight Town or Traverse Town also require Disney's involvement. Literally the only things from Kingdom Hearts that could appear in Smash Bros are the Final Fantasy characters and the World Ends With You cast from DDD. And I'm still really confused why Sora can get a thread
This is to counter the point against the licencing thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV76QegRezE
Oh, Disney said they'd be fine with Sora in Smash? I guess this case is like Banjo-Kazooie where Microsoft supported Banjo for Smash. What about Akira Toriyama? Has he supported Goku for Smash? Oh, Sakurai didn't want Goku... But does Sakurai think of Kingdom Hearts as a licensed Disney game that could dilute the video game crossover?
I appreciate the fact that you're arguing against Sora's inclusion since it keeps us on our toes, but seriously? Sora is a video game character first and foremost. That doesn't change with who owns him. Diluting the video game crossover would be the last thing his inclusion would do.

EDIT: Oh yeah! I almost forgot to mention this, but the #Sora4smash petition has hit 200 signatures!
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-s...edium.share_by_medium&utm_term=share_petition
Please spread this petition around so we can get it past 500 signatures by the time the next Smash focused direct comes around!

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
honestly if Sora got in I'd be kind of meh about Roxas as his echo. Maybe Riku?

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Just had someone on the Isaac thread compare Sora's inclusion to Goku. That was quite interesting to read how Sora is a "slippery slope" character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
was it the same person who keeps doing it here?
A) No.

B) Let's not make the discussion about other members.

But yeah, this is a silly slippery slope. I can understand the argument if Sakurai allows the actual Disney non-game characters as trophies, it doesn't seem odd to allow other non-game content in general. That makes some sense. But Sora is a video game character through and through.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A) No.

But yeah, this is a silly slippery slope. I can understand the argument if Sakurai allows the actual Disney non-game characters as trophies, it doesn't seem odd to allow other non-game content in general. That makes some sense. But Sora is a video game character through and through.
it is does strike me as unusual thinking i dont think any character would open the way to any other character except maybe from their own series

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
it is does strike me as unusual thinking i dont think any character would open the way to any other character except maybe from their own series
Well, it's more what Sakurai stated. He doesn't want non-game characters to appear, but that's in context of 3rd parties. This is why, say, the Pokemon Anime stuff doesn't count, since it's partially owned by Nintendo.

So if, say, Mickey shows up, period, this means he could've changed his mind overall. It doesn't obviously open the floodgates for playables either, but it does tell us he's not as adamant about "game only 3rd parties". So there is a slope to go on, but it's not that slippery. Unless, say, Mickey is playable, there is no real slope.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, it's more what Sakurai stated. He doesn't want non-game characters to appear, but that's in context of 3rd parties. This is why, say, the Pokemon Anime stuff doesn't count, since it's partially owned by Nintendo.

So if, say, Mickey shows up, period, this means he could've changed his mind overall. It doesn't obviously open the floodgates for playables either, but it does tell us he's not as adamant about "game only 3rd parties". So there is a slope to go on, but it's not that slippery. Unless, say, Mickey is playable, there is no real slope.
i can only agree with you there

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i can only agree with you there
As that's exactly what I mean. There's no reason to believe he would change his views over a Trophy/Song/Sticker, at least. AT, a huge maybe at best(since it's part of gameplay), but if he were to make a non-game character playable(a 3rd party one specifically), that's the only time the floodgates could be logically opened. And even then? It'd only be for big guns. Meme picks like Shrek would not happen because he's not a legit request popularity-wise. Someone like Goku at least is. Though I don't think any would happen regardless, heh.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
A) No.

I've been rewatching the final Smash Wii U presentation. Sakurai did have a criteria of "realizable characters" when talking about the ballot.
Obviously this criteria has to apply when adding new characters for Ultimate. Goku is a prime example of not being in that criteria which is why people might compare Sora to Goku.

I think some people might associate Sora not belonging in that category solely because of Disney, but what do you guys think? Do you realistically think he's a realizable character?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've been rewatching the final Smash Wii U presentation. Sakurai did have a criteria of "realizable characters" when talking about the ballot.
Obviously this criteria has to apply when adding new characters for Ultimate. Goku is a prime example of not being in that criteria which is why people might compare Sora to Goku.

I think some people might associate Sora not belonging in that category solely because of Disney, but what do you guys think? Do you realistically think he's a realizable character?
He's absolutely realizable. Disney saying no isn't that likely in itself. They just ask one guy, and this is Smash, where many people say yes because they feel it'd be an honor to have him in.

What is the hard part is representing the content correctly. Especially depending if Sakurai wants to have zero Disney characters like Mickey in. That also means changing the keychain itself to make licensing issues easier. The idea of Sora being allowed in, yeah, is not really hard at all. It's everything after that is a crapfest.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

What I want to know is why people think that Sora being owned by Disney contradicts any criteria set in place by Sakurai. No matter what, he's still a video game character, who's apart of a franchise that has plenty of original content outside of any animated Disney content. Sora is in no way, shape, or form comparable to Goku in terms of realizability.

To answer your question, Sora is more than just realizable, he has the potential to be downright included if we can garner enough support. A representative from Disney has said that they'd be okay with his inclusion. That same representative said that they completely own the full rights to his character, so Nintendo wouldn't have to pay 2 companies for the rights to use him. And to top it off the representative also said that they normally ask SE or permission to use Sora outside of Kingdom Hearts (out of courtesy), and SE has already shown that they didn't mind letting Sakurai handle their own big name character, so there's little reason to believe that they'd ever decline Sora's inclusion.

As it stands, the only thing preventing him from joining is misinformation.

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
What I want to know is why people think that Sora being owned by Disney contradicts any criteria set in place by Sakurai. No matter what, he's still a video game character, who's apart of a franchise that has plenty of original content outside of any animated Disney content. Sora is in no way, shape, or form comparable to Goku in terms of realizability.

To answer your question, Sora is more than just realizable, he has the potential to be downright included if we can garner enough support. A representative from Disney has said that they'd be okay with his inclusion. That same representative said that they completely own the full rights to his character, so Nintendo wouldn't have to pay 2 companies for the rights to use him. And to top it off the representative also said that they normally ask SE or permission to use Sora outside of Kingdom Hearts (out of courtesy), and SE has already shown that they didn't mind letting Sakurai handle their own big name character, so there's little reason to believe that they'd ever decline Sora's inclusion.

As it stands, the only thing preventing him from joining is misinformation.
I really wish Sora had more supporters but, i feel one of the biggest reasons for him not having as many as say, Geno, is because people don't think he's realizable.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I really wish Sora had more supporters but, i feel one of the biggest reasons for him not having as many as say, Geno, is because people don't think he's realizable.
But after/if Geno is confirmed surely everyone will turn to our quirky Protagonist, Sora, as the next big 3rd party character.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
What do you guys see Sora's special moves being?

Me personally can see something like
Neutral B: Strike Raid (Simon / Richter's Cross, but quicker)

Side B: Like Bayonetta's ABK
Grounded: Ars Arcanum, maybe the DDD or KH3 version with about three or five hits. Operates like Cloud's Cross Slash
Aerial: Aerial Finish from KH2 / Second Form Sora in KH3.

Up B: Sonic Blade (faster version of Ridley's Up B)

Down B: Probably Counterstrike or a generic counter, but I'd love to see Reflect, Explosion, Stun Impact, or Zantetsuken.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Neutral-B: Strike Raid
Side-B: Sonic Blade
Down-B: Reflega
Up-B: Superglide

Explosion and Ars Arcanum seem more appropriate as Smash Attacks.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I would see Aerial Sweep as a better Up-B. Superglide actually goes downward so that wouldn't help with recovery.

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438

Grounded: Ars Arcanum, maybe the DDD or KH3 version with about three or five hits. Operates like Cloud's Cross Slash

Down B: Probably Counterstrike or a generic counter, but I'd love to see Reflect, Explosion, Stun Impact, or Zantetsuken.
Neutral B (Strike Raid/Judgement): Fire off a spiral of energy in front of Sora. Can be charged with Judgement being the fully-charged version that returns to Sora like a boomerang when used.
Side B (Ars Arcanum): Sora glows a yellowish energy as he rushes the enemy with a series of keyblade strikes. After each hit, Sora glows blue very briefly where the player must input the special command to do another hit and keep the chain going. You will repeat this sequence 3 more times for a total of 4 hits.
Up B (Finishing Leap): Sora loads his keyblade with energy and slams it beneath him, causing him to propel upwards and blast his enemies away from him. The recovery distance (vertically) is similar to Link's Spin Attack.
Down B (Stun Impact): Sora charges energy into keyblade before swinging it to the ground, creating a spherical burst that knocks away further opponents but briefly stuns those who are very close to Sora before they are blasted away.
Final Smash (Ragnarok): Sora thrusts his keyblade upwards and casts Magnega, sending all who are hit by the spell to be sent to Dive to the Heart, where Sora appears floating above the arena, charging a massive orb of volatile energy from the tip of his keyblade. Sora then exclaims "Take This!" and fires his attack, with the sphere dispersing into a teeming amount of smaller rays that all quickly bombard the victims at high speeds before the scene returns to the actual stage and all enemies are sent flying off.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
The problem with this is Roxas or Riku as echo fighters would totally break canon, since neither use these types of moves (maybe Roxas uses Strike Raid once in a Y combo that I'm forgetting, haven't played KH 358/2 Days in almost ten years), as they are exclusive to Sora.

So another challenge: what would an echo fighter friendly Sora moveset look like?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The problem with this is Roxas or Riku as echo fighters would totally break canon, since neither use these types of moves (maybe Roxas uses Strike Raid once in a Y combo that I'm forgetting, haven't played KH 358/2 Days in almost ten years), as they are exclusive to Sora.

So another challenge: what would an echo fighter friendly Sora moveset look like?
smash breaks canon all the time

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

Technically speaking, in FE canon, Lucina should be fighting more like Ike than she should Marth. Them sharing moves shouldn't be a big deal.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman

I'm thinking a crossover moveset that's similar between Robin, Shulk, and Cloud

Neutral B: Command Deck (Cycle magic commands: Fire, Blizzard, Thunder with a button press or hold and select)
Side B: Strike Raid (Similar to boomerang moves like Link or Simon)
Up B: Aero (KH3 style except he casts it around him and gives him an extra boost. Has a slashing type area of effect)
Down B: Magic (Fire - KH2 AoE, Blizzard - KH3 style, Thunder - KH1 style)

Character mechanics: Second Form (Gives passive speed and damage buffs, upgrades every special besides neutral B to newer moves. Hitting opponents will fill a meter, when full: Second Form becomes an option in the command deck and activates with down B. The form runs on a very limited timer and getting hit will decrease time even further.)

MP Meter + MP Haste: All magic uses MP, the meter works like KH2. During recharge time, hitting opponents fills the meter by a bit.

Second Form moveset
Neutral B: Same as base except you can select: Firaga, Blizzaga, Thundaga
Side B: Sonic Blade (Works like KH3: usable in the ground and air + very fast successive attacks)
Up B: Aeroga (Wider recovery and slash range)
Down B: Magic (Firaga: Wider effect and damage, could kill off the top, Blizzaga: Freezes upon hit, Thundaga: more range and damage.)

Final Smash: Trinity (Summons Riku and Kairi, the Destiny Island trio cross their Keyblades and engulfs the foe in light much like Zelda's Final Smash)

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Okay, then we have Tinkerbell's Pixie Dust sparkle around him on the wind-up animation.
And have a cameo from a character from a 1953 animated film that has nothing to do with video games and only played a minor role in Kingdom Hearts? Yeah, that would be crazy if Tinker Bell even gets referenced in Smash. I think Aerial Sweep should be Sora's Up Special. I mean Link's Up Special works a similar way, right?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
And have a cameo from a character from a 1953 animated film that has nothing to do with video games and only played a minor role in Kingdom Hearts? Yeah, that would be crazy if Tinker Bell even gets referenced in Smash. I think Aerial Sweep should be Sora's Up Special. I mean Link's Up Special works a similar way, right?
You know what? I like Z zabimaru1000 's Up-B idea better anyway, so I'm just gonna give you this one.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it was hardly a minor role what with four appearances through out the series and the ability he learned there being key in the final battle

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well even so, characters from the Disney version of Peter Pan shouldn't even make cameos. If there was a Tinker Bell in a Nintendo game that was only based on the public domain parts of JM Barrie's stories, then yeah she could make a cameo in Smash. But not the Tink from Kingdom Hearts who is explicitly the same Tinker Bell from Disney's 1953 film. The idea of Disney cameos in Smash when Sakurai forbids non-video game characters is just crazy. Oh, and look at what's hanging off Sora's weapon: A Mickey Mouse cameo!

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Well even so, characters from the Disney version of Peter Pan shouldn't even make cameos. If there was a Tinker Bell in a Nintendo game that was only based on the public domain parts of JM Barrie's stories, then yeah she could make a cameo in Smash. But not the Tink from Kingdom Hearts who is explicitly the same Tinker Bell from Disney's 1953 film. The idea of Disney cameos in Smash when Sakurai forbids non-video game characters is just crazy. Oh, and look at what's hanging off Sora's weapon: A Mickey Mouse cameo!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...o_KHBBS.png/revision/latest?cb=20100420172621
in case the image doesn't work.
this is from a kingdom hearts game. the Kingdom Key has a crown on it rather than Mickey mouses head. All the Keyblade keychain reasons are irrelevant.

Also your tinker bell point is true, she cant appear in the game but haveing sparkles appear around sora is only eluding to the fact she make no appearance.

I think Sora's specials would be more focused on his magic abilities to be honest.
standard special:
some projectile magic like fire (KH1) or blizzard (KH2) and I assume Thunder (KH3).
Side Special:
Gravity or something (could use sonic blade like fox and falco's side special but can use it twice like pikachu's up special)
Down Special:
Reflect or Aero (could also use fire from KH2 with the area of effect
Up Special:
I wouldn't use a magic move for this id use Sora's signature up swing when enemies are in the air where he twirls around (Aerial Sweep I think the ability was called)

I'd give Sora's character the ability to reflect projectiles if the tip of the keyblade hits it (with a Tech. text showing up) it wouldn't have a multiplier to keep it balanced and probably slows down the projectile or leaves the speed constant.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...o_KHBBS.png/revision/latest?cb=20100420172621
in case the image doesn't work.
this is from a kingdom hearts game. the Kingdom Key has a crown on it rather than Mickey mouses head. All the Keyblade keychain reasons are irrelevant.

Also your tinker bell point is true, she cant appear in the game but haveing sparkles appear around sora is only eluding to the fact she make no appearance.

I think Sora's specials would be more focused on his magic abilities to be honest.
standard special:
some projectile magic like fire (KH1) or blizzard (KH2) and I assume Thunder (KH3).
Side Special:
Gravity or something (could use sonic blade like fox and falco's side special but can use it twice like pikachu's up special)
Down Special:
Reflect or Aero (could also use fire from KH2 with the area of effect
Up Special:
I wouldn't use a magic move for this id use Sora's signature up swing when enemies are in the air where he twirls around (Aerial Sweep I think the ability was called)

I'd give Sora's character the ability to reflect projectiles if the tip of the keyblade hits it (with a Tech. text showing up) it wouldn't have a multiplier to keep it balanced and probably slows down the projectile or leaves the speed constant.
Honestly, I would find this a more disappointing approach to implementing the character, as 1) Sora has his own unique moves originating from his own game, 2) the magic started as an adaptation of Final Fantasy magic into action combat, and 3) Cloud has already shown that he can use abilities other than staple magic. Those staple magic attacks I feel should be reserved totally for a black mage character.

Top Bottom