• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Dan

Smash Lord
It is completely reasonable for Roxas to be an Echo after Simon's trailer.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Top 5 Kingdom Hearts Songs for smash:
5) Dearly Beloved (a medley)
4) Xion's theme (any version)
3) Roxas' theme
2) Destiny Islands
1) Traverse town

probably some sort of battle theme as well but these are the ones i remember the most.
Maybe a final boss battle medley from the orchestra would be cool. love to see Destati as well.

What about you guys got any songs you'd love to see/fight to in smash?

Dan

Smash Lord
Those are all ballads/mellow songs; it would have to be battle themes and such. Some parts of Destati are usable.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Those are all ballads/mellow songs; it would have to be battle themes and such. Some parts of Destati are usable.
I mean you can battle to lost in thoughts all alone for Fire Emblem and theres like the 65m music which is just a loop of the same thing, I dont think it needs to be heavy music Im fine with just battling to music that sounds dope.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Top 5 Kingdom Hearts Songs for smash:
5) Dearly Beloved (a medley)
4) Xion's theme (any version)
3) Roxas' theme
2) Destiny Islands
1) Traverse town

probably some sort of battle theme as well but these are the ones i remember the most.
Maybe a final boss battle medley from the orchestra would be cool. love to see Destati as well.

What about you guys got any songs you'd love to see/fight to in smash?
good choices man, then again you cant really go wrong with yoko shimura's music

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
SkywardWing, who has been supporting the idea of Sora for Smash, has uploaded a video explaining why Sora won't be in Smash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocIdTs30YV0

While I don't think Mii costumes from the Wii U game would matter with deciding on Newcomers since Simon and Richter never got a Mii costume, the rights issues do have a point. How could Sakurai and Disney agree to put Sora in? With all the Kingdom Hearts original content being partly owned by Disney, it's a huge licensing nightmare to have Sora in with cameos from Riku, Roxas, Kairi, Axel, plus stages based on Twilight Town or Traverse Town also require Disney's involvement. Literally the only things from Kingdom Hearts that could appear in Smash Bros are the Final Fantasy characters and the World Ends With You cast from DDD. And I'm still really confused why Sora can get a thread but Goku and Starkiller can't. Last week, Goku was allowed a thread for a day as a special case for his long video game history, up until people complained about his thread and started making threads on other characters like Spider-Man, forcing the mods to revert the rule back to "no special cases." And with that, I need to contest the legitamacy of this thread. Sora may have debuted in a video game, but that just creates a loophole for Vader's Apprentice to get an article. Kingdom Hearts is first and foremost a Disney game. And in Kingdom Hearts has only had 4 games on Nintendo consoles and 11 games on Playstation consoles. And those four Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games were remade for the Playstation 3 and 4's HD remixes, meaning Nintendo no longer has exclusives for the series and Kingdom Hearts is more of a Playstation series than a Nintendo series. Cloud may have got four Nintendo appearances with two of them credited to Kingdom Hearts, but at least the Final Fantasy brand had more Nintendo games. In fact, even Crash and Spyro got more Nintendo appearances than Kingdom Hearts. And there's the problem with Sora's Keyblade sporting a Mickey Mouse keychain. Sora seems to be inseparable from Donald Duck and Goofy so with Sora's inclusion, they would have to at least make some cameo. But the purists would not want to see Donald Duck or Goofy from the Mickey Mouse cartoons to show up in Smash in any capacity. And since Disney's permission is needed for Sora to be in the game, Disney would have to be listed in the copyrights with Square Enix, Sega, Gamefreak, Konami, Intelligent Systems, etc. And with Disney buying stuff like Marvel and Lucasfilm and now Fox, with anti-DCEU fans wishing they could buy DC, Disney getting added to the copyright list for a game full of Nintendo characters could spread fear on the idea of Disney buying Nintendo. Sora's tied to a fourth-party brand. Kingdom Hearts is even less Nintendo than Cloud. Disney could give Sakurai Wreck-It Ralph instead. And people wouldn't even accept the idea of Dragon Ball or Star Wars in Smash. Sora's never getting in. I love Kingdom Hearts. I'm even wearing a KH t-shirt today. But I consider Sora to be a fourth-party character like Goku because he's a Disney character. Disney is not a video game brand.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
SkywardWing, who has been supporting the idea of Sora for Smash, has uploaded a video explaining why Sora won't be in Smash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocIdTs30YV0

While I don't think Mii costumes from the Wii U game would matter with deciding on Newcomers since Simon and Richter never got a Mii costume, the rights issues do have a point. How could Sakurai and Disney agree to put Sora in? With all the Kingdom Hearts original content being partly owned by Disney, it's a huge licensing nightmare to have Sora in with cameos from Riku, Roxas, Kairi, Axel, plus stages based on Twilight Town or Traverse Town also require Disney's involvement. Literally the only things from Kingdom Hearts that could appear in Smash Bros are the Final Fantasy characters and the World Ends With You cast from DDD. And I'm still really confused why Sora can get a thread but Goku and Starkiller can't. Last week, Goku was allowed a thread for a day as a special case for his long video game history, up until people complained about his thread and started making threads on other characters like Spider-Man, forcing the mods to revert the rule back to "no special cases." And with that, I need to contest the legitamacy of this thread. Sora may have debuted in a video game, but that just creates a loophole for Vader's Apprentice to get an article. Kingdom Hearts is first and foremost a Disney game. And in Kingdom Hearts has only had 4 games on Nintendo consoles and 11 games on Playstation consoles. And those four Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games were remade for the Playstation 3 and 4's HD remixes, meaning Nintendo no longer has exclusives for the series and Kingdom Hearts is more of a Playstation series than a Nintendo series. Cloud may have got four Nintendo appearances with two of them credited to Kingdom Hearts, but at least the Final Fantasy brand had more Nintendo games. In fact, even Crash and Spyro got more Nintendo appearances than Kingdom Hearts. And there's the problem with Sora's Keyblade sporting a Mickey Mouse keychain. Sora seems to be inseparable from Donald Duck and Goofy so with Sora's inclusion, they would have to at least make some cameo. But the purists would not want to see Donald Duck or Goofy from the Mickey Mouse cartoons to show up in Smash in any capacity. And since Disney's permission is needed for Sora to be in the game, Disney would have to be listed in the copyrights with Square Enix, Sega, Gamefreak, Konami, Intelligent Systems, etc. And with Disney buying stuff like Marvel and Lucasfilm and now Fox, with anti-DCEU fans wishing they could buy DC, Disney getting added to the copyright list for a game full of Nintendo characters could spread fear on the idea of Disney buying Nintendo. Sora's tied to a fourth-party brand. Kingdom Hearts is even less Nintendo than Cloud. Disney could give Sakurai Wreck-It Ralph instead. And people wouldn't even accept the idea of Dragon Ball or Star Wars in Smash. Sora's never getting in. I love Kingdom Hearts. I'm even wearing a KH t-shirt today. But I consider Sora to be a fourth-party character like Goku because he's a Disney character. Disney is not a video game brand.
Dude come on.
You've made your point clear that you think Sora is the same as Goku. Sakurai himself in an interview said Cloud wasn't going to get in if he wasn't in a game on nintendo and thanks to KH he was on a nintendo console ( EDIT - my wishful way of looking at what Sakurai said).
This means KH is on Sakurai's radar. Also Sora does not come in a package deal with Donald, Goofy and Mickey. Sora has had various segments in his game where he fights alone and is quite capable (i.e. fight against Roxas, fight against Riku).

Disney having a name on a game doesn't mean they are going to buy it and even if they did buy Nintendo that shouldn't scare anyone. Disney buys companies for name recognition, marvel still has all the freedom with their characters and Disney doesn't stop them from doing anything.
Disney having a deal with Nintendo isn't anything new either, they have had plenty of talks for wreck it ralph.
I think your KH mainly being a playstation game is kind of irrelevant as well, Cloud was only on playstation, Sonic has had multiple games on other consoles and KH still had a good few games on Nintendo even if they were ported to Playstation later on it doesn't change the fact that KH on Nintendo was important for the franchise.

fourth-party is not a thing. Sora is a third party character owned by Disney and created by Nomura, whom is working with Sakurai in smash. Nomura has been given free reigns with Sora in video games by Disney.
Disney has said if fans want Sora in smash they will be fine with it.
Crash and Spyro aren't relevant characters, characters that need remakes to stay popular aren't producing popular games, the last crash game was like in 2008 (I literally made that up) and has only recently got a remake. Sora is constantly being used by Square Enix, although KH and KH2 came out like 18 years ago he is still appearing in the side games like DDD and Re:Coded.

I know a couple of people that only got into KH because they got the gameboy game or the DS game, this means that KH on Nintendo has had an impact on the franchise as well.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai said that he might have had misgivings if Cloud never had a Nintendo appearance.

That is a very different statement from what people are trying to paint it as. His point is he wasn't sure of his actual actions if he was still an exclusive to Sony when it came to game appearances. It likely would not have mattered in the long run, though. Sakurai was looking for the most iconic FF character, not a Nintendo-related one. It's only something he takes into account, not some rule or even a real guideline. It's a "courtesy", not a requirement.

Just wanted to clarify that, since people are way taking it out of context again. Also, he never said a Nintendo appearance was required at any point in time. He did say he looks at it as something to basically consider when determining who to choose. But realistically, having a previous Nintendo appearance just makes it a lot easier to license a character, since it means Nintendo and that company came to an agreement before. Sometimes trying to repeat the same steps can work. That's all it really is.

On another note, a 3rd party being relevant isn't usually... a relevant thing anyway. A 3rd party itself is often chosen or looked at due to their gaming history. Spyro and Crash are pretty big characters in gaming. That alone makes them easy to choose. There's other important things to consider instead, like how easy they are to license and moveset-related potential. As well as what designs to use in some cases(Spyro is a notable one here). Sakurai outright noted that he would not have agreed to have Pac-Man if he couldn't use his classic design. He didn't want the redesign(which eventually was used with Ghostly Adventures and got the nickname of being "specific to that spin-off" despite that being inaccurate. But hey, it's common for characters to be associated with something that's not the origin of whatever a design/meme/etc. is).

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Just throwing in a bit of support for Sora. Definitely the next major character on my personal list I'd like to see in Smash now that both Ridley (wanted since Brawl) and Simon (Ballot choice) have made it in.

Watched the video in the OP. Definitely something more people need to watch. I really think at this point disbelief is what's really holding Sora back more than anything. People are not even willing to bring up the subject because "EVIL DISNEY" and that's all. It's only recently that it was brought to my attention that Tetsuya Nomura also had a say in what was done with Sora. And fact is at the very least Nomura has provided Smash Bros. that awesome Cloud Strife artwork back in Smash 4.

That means there's three big names Sakurai must address: Square-Enix, Nomura, Disney. And relationships have already been established with the first two. And if that video is anything to go by, the third big name would have no choice but to entertain the prospect if the first two big names get on board.

But it seems all of this means nothing if the fans are too disillusioned to even speak up. So I'mma try and fix that.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Oh, Disney said they'd be fine with Sora in Smash? I guess this case is like Banjo-Kazooie where Microsoft supported Banjo for Smash. What about Akira Toriyama? Has he supported Goku for Smash? Oh, Sakurai didn't want Goku... But does Sakurai think of Kingdom Hearts as a licensed Disney game that could dilute the video game crossover?

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Oh, Disney said they'd be fine with Sora in Smash? I guess this case is like Banjo-Kazooie where Microsoft supported Banjo for Smash. What about Akira Toriyama? Has he supported Goku for Smash? Oh, Sakurai didn't want Goku... But does Sakurai think of Kingdom Hearts as a licensed Disney game that could dilute the video game crossover?
Seriously man.
look lets say Akira Toriyama said that he wanted Goku in smash, that doesn't matter, Goku is already licensed by Shonen Jump there are more hoops to jump over to get Goku than Sora. Akira created Goku but he doesn't own him anymore. Disney owns Sora.

Banjo and Sora are both primarily video game characters and Microsoft saying that they'd be fine with Banjo being in smash does create a very valid case for him, this is just like Sora.

If enough people wanted Goku in the game and Sakurai was okay with it, it could happen but this is a HUGE if.

Goku ≠ Sora in regards to getting in, Sora is a game character not the face of Disney, Goku is an anime character and pretty much the face of anime.

If you aren't happy with the response I gave then go on earlier in the thread enough people have disputed the point.

to reiterate

Sora getting in ≠ Mickey, Donald, Goofy or any Disney character getting in
Goku being a character ≠ Sora being a character
Goku as far as our knowledge of how smash character selection works so far has a 0% chance of getting in
Sora has a chance between 1% - 100% anything can go for a popular gaming character.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Besides, Microsoft didn't say they'd be okay with Banjo, just one member of the company did, Phil Spencer. Very very different situation.

But yeah, the only thing Sora can at most do is maybe give us a few Disney characters as some kind of non-playable content, and that's still iffy. It's not like they need to be there either. Kingdom Hearts has more than enough unique content that is neither Disney nor Final Fantasy.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Sora is my ballot pick, and I have huge confidence in him appearing thanks to Nomura and ZeRo. I'm in full support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
how many times are we going to go in this circle? give it a rest sora and goku are not the same in any context

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
roxas has used the kingdom key by itself at one points. I think it be better than nothing. Plus he is the only one that fights similar to Sora compared with Riku or anyone else. He is his other. It just makes sense for him to be an echo fighter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
roxas has used the kingdom key by itself at one points. I think it be better than nothing. Plus he is the only one that fights similar to Sora compared with Riku or anyone else. He is his other. It just makes sense for him to be an echo fighter.
well it wasnt one point it was about 358 days

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if everyone is jumping on you, but these are my 2 cents.

These "what if's" are not concrete. Sakurai said "Manga characters will not join the battle (obviously)." That includes Goku. (After all Goku is appearing in Jump Force. A crossover that has all the manga/anime you could want.)
Which is why his chances are low. This is based on a tangible statement.
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

We don't really know about what Sakurai thinks about a case like Disney. Of the video you posted, it really is just another fan made rule that third parties can only have two representatives. The "Slots" assumption has been repeatedly proven false. Last time it was "third parties can't have more than one character from a series" and that was proven false. Wanna know why? Because it was just a baseless assumption based on a small coincidental pattern.
"Sora is a licensing nightmare" is just another fan assumption. They know nothing about the inner workings of these companies and nothing about how law works, so they have zero credibility.

And in Kingdom Hearts has only had 4 games on Nintendo consoles and 11 games on Playstation consoles. And those four Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games were remade for the Playstation 3 and 4's HD remixes, meaning Nintendo no longer has exclusives for the series and Kingdom Hearts is more of a Playstation series than a Nintendo series.
You can only play ReCoded and 358/2 days on nintendo ds. As far as I can tell 358/2 days had a substantial amount of content you could not experience on the HD Remix.

If you count remakes and final mixes that sorta inflates the numbers. You could say half of the kingdom hearts titles initially released on the nintendo platform, while the other half initially released on the playstation platform. (Excluding Chi which released on neither). BUT NONE OF THAT MATTERS.
Solid Snake is in the same boat as Sora. And Sakurai's stance on this is made clear when he said.
Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves. https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Spider-Man
I agree with you on the inconsistency, if people are talking goku, and doom guy then spider man should be allowed.

He is technically possible, but have people been asking for him? At the same time he is a comic book character: the same boat as Goku. Honestly based on the poll Batman has the best chance since a number of people have been asking for it, but he's at the bottom of the popular ones. I don't think they are likely on that basis.

Disney getting added to the copyright list for a game full of Nintendo characters could spread fear on the idea of Disney buying Nintendo.
You'd have to be a real mook to go from "Sora gets added to smash bros" to "ZOMG DISNEY IS BUYING NINTENDO" I don't think there would be that much fear since it'd be obvious with donald and goofy cameos why disney would be in the credits. And what's wrong with disney in the credits? They have a nice logo.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Okay, so Kingdom Hearts is fair game for Smash. But if Sora gets in, I would want Donald and Goofy to be included in his Final Smash, Trinity Limit.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Disney isn't above not being involved in crossovers. I would argue Wreck-It Ralph and Kingdom Hearts are the two Disney franchises that are the most video game crossover heavy.

Wreck-It Ralph has the connection to Bowser. Kingdom Hearts has the connection to Final Fantasy.

Sora has appeared in World of Final Fantasy as a limited offer DLC: note that there was literally nothing Disney in that game besides the Mickey logo on the Kingdom Key. If Sora gets in Smash I expect the same kind of treatment being no Donald, Goofy, or Mickey showing up in Final Smashes or trophies.

Note that in the DLC trailer for Kingdom Hearts x World of Final Fantasy the first thing you see on the bottom right corner is a copyright for Disney and at the end, another for the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

So the rights would have to look like this:

2018 Nintendo
Original Game: Nintendo / HAL Laboratory
Characters: copyright Nintendo/HAL/Pokemon/Creatures/GAME FREAK/blahblahblah/SQUARE ENIX/Disney

Last edited:

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
Sora's an interesting character as while he may not have the greatest support due to the factor that allow him to exist and the notion that he has weak history with Nintendo which are contrasted by his value as a video game icon and his large fan base. This is also compacted with the heavy competition he has for a second SE rep (Geno & Dragon Quest being most notable) however it is still and most notably now arguable that third reps can be allowed and no such rule existed before hand.

I honestly would love for him to join as I voted for him in the Ballot and think he is deserving of his icon-icy however I wont get my hopes up due to his position as third party and will instead keep vigilant of smash and hope he somehow joins.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Roxas Being an echo would be good as well, Sora could be the KH1 representation where as Roxas can be KH2 representation. much like how Simon is Castlevania 1 and Richter is one of the sequels (I dont know much about Castlevania).

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
tbh I'd rather have Riku or Ventus as an echo fighter. That way, I wouldn't be OCDing about the absence of the rest of Organization XIII like I do with Pokemon reps.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, if Sora gets in the game, I don't want an echo with Roxas. People really want Geno. Sonic deserves a second rep more. There are only a few more newcomers to reveal, so not all the requests would get in. And even with Sora in the game, I'll still stand by the Disney argument when speculating another Kingdom Hearts character because I don't want Disney getting too over represented in Smash. I'm not sure if Roxas is as popular as Riku or Axel. He has the same face as Ventus, which is just confusing to me. And I still don't think Sora is that likely. Though I could be wrong and Sora could be announced. Or Sakurai could think of Sora as a Disney character and reject him like Goku. In fact, Sakurai could avoid all deals with non-gaming companies like Disney to make sure that Super Smash Bros is about video games only. But hey, if Sora gets announced, I could use him. But Sora's chances really depend on how restrictive Sakurai is with third-parties. But if Sora gets in, I'll admit I was wrong.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
tbh I'd rather have Riku or Ventus as an echo fighter. That way, I wouldn't be OCDing about the absence of the rest of Organization XIII like I do with Pokemon reps.
Having Riku or Ventus though, kinda defeats the point of an echo. The only character who truly has a 1:1 fighting style to Sora is his Nobody Roxas. Ventus wields the Keyblade back handedly and Riku is one handed, versus Sora and Roxas' two handed crouching style. Roxas is the perfect echo.

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
In the latest Famitsu article, Sakurai stated with full confirmation that characters this time around are heavily weighted from the Smash Ballot. I know that Sora was a highly requested character in the Ballot, especially at the beginning. Hopefully Disney will be willing to shake hands in this scenario and allow Sora. Sora’s the only character I desired in the Smash Ballot and I will die a very happy man if he is added to the game, even as DLC.

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
What do you guys believe Sora's final smash should be? I'm of the opinion that Ragnarok would be the safe pick, seeing as how it is typically the featured move for Sora when he appears in crossover material (i.e: World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Record Keeper). I also think options such as a solo Trinity Limit or something that involves his Drive Forms could be great choices, as well. I'm just trying to think up of a viable moveset for him and would like to hear some outside opinions for perspective.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys believe Sora's final smash should be? I'm of the opinion that Ragnarok would be the safe pick, seeing as how it is typically the featured move for Sora when he appears in crossover material (i.e: World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Record Keeper). I also think options such as a solo Trinity Limit or something that involves his Drive Forms could be great choices, as well. I'm just trying to think up of a viable moveset for him and would like to hear some outside opinions for perspective.
The Key Beam used to unlock/lock doors and defeat Xemnas

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
I agree with Ragnarok (I hope Ars Arcanum is his side B akin Cloud's Cross Slash) or Trinity Limit. Although a secret part of me wants a guest appearance by Riku (like Robin, Shulk and MegaMan have) to perform either Session or their Nightmare's End Reality Shift from DDD.

Last edited:

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Can imagine the Geno thread will be freaking out. Sora and Geno are the biggest two bets, I doubt Sora will get in base roster, but I can't imagine Square not asking to give Sora to Sakurai to promote KH3 which is coming literally a month after. I'd love to get both to please everyone, but it seems the outcome isn't clear.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Square doesn't own Sora though
The wording doesn't say owned by Square, Vergebern just said he heard a Square character is coming. Technically Sora is a Square-created character from a Square-developed game.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
They kind of do, Sora is a Square/Disney Hybrid creature created by Nomura. Disney can't use Sora without Nomura's and Square Enix's permission and Nomura cant use Sora without Disney's permission.
They can. Disney has 100% of the rights there is no debating that. Disney likes to confer with Nomura to be absolutely sure they are depicting him correctly but when Disney says no there is nothing Square or Nomura can do about it. The same thing if they say yes.

The wording doesn't say owned by Square, Vergebern just said he heard a Square character is coming. Technically Sora is a Square-created character from a Square-developed game.
Fair point

Top Bottom