• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys imagine a hypothetical Sora trailer?

I would definitely like these things in them:

- Music: Destati (Drammatica version) played during the Toy Story trailer
- The quote that they show before KH3 trailers, particularly "Don't assume your dreams are just fantasy. If you can imagine a world, believe in it and dive in." is shown before the smash logo cut.
- Smash logo being reflected in Sora's eyes
- Gameplay footage showing Sora taunting w/ Duck Hunt (nod to Donald & Goofy)
- End with gameplay footage showing Sora and Cloud in Smash Ball aura running toward each other (indicating Cloud is "Xehanort")

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I'd so want Sora in Smash Ultimate. Since Kingdom Hearts is so popular, I would actually really enjoy the Kingdom Hearts series represented in Smash Ultimate.

One time in my dreams, I saw Sora get revealed until it turned out it was just a dream.
But really, you do get my support.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
You know how some character reveal trailers have a second scene after the gameplay bit is shown? If Sora gets in, they should totally make the end scene the part in KH1 where Cloud passes Sora at OC(Probably without the Disney characters, though.)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BountifulNarrowHarvestmen-mobile.mp4
Maybe this time, they have a look of recognition on their faces, nod at one another, and then charge at each other to do battle. The trailer then fades out and ends right as they're about to clash blades.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Count me in as a supporter! not sure how likely it is to happen. but I'd be so down if it did!

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I feel like I've asked this before but, if I haven't, please count me in as a supporter for Sora in Smash

sonofwiseii

Smash Rookie
Man, I voted for Sora back during the ballot. Yeah, Sora supporter here all the way! I have a number of characters I really wanna see in Ultimate, but I think Sora is by far the character I want the most...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Made Sora a Supporter's List. Altais Altais , make use of it, if you want.
  1. Altais
  2. Planet Zeb(es)~
  3. Kirbeh
  4. Aussie the Naturist
  5. FunAtParties
  6. fogbadge
  7. _Sheik
  8. Jason the Yoshi
  9. KHJason95
  10. KeybladeSmasher
  11. Arcadenik
  12. Opossum
  13. MAtgSy
  14. The Smash Nerd II.0.
  15. Pacack
  16. Rango the Mercenary
  17. Bassoonist
  18. Runic_SSB
  19. SquashiniKun
  20. Zeallyx
  21. nth
  22. TCT~Phantom
  23. SSBCandidates
  24. AncientArk
  25. AmericanDJ
  26. RineYFD
  27. SonicSmasher1
  28. jetsurge
  29. BluePikmin11
  30. Shyy_Guy595
  31. HyruleHero
  32. Sean Wheeler
  33. RosaPeach
  34. CatRacoonBL
  35. verysleepywolf
  36. SEGAGameBoy
  37. TumblrFamous
  38. Yomi's Biggest Fan
  39. Graizen
  40. Legendary Spirit Tamer
  41. Mewtader
  42. timrtabor123
  43. DNeon
  44. Perkilator
  45. Organization XIII
  46. Nani?
  47. ThoughtfulWanderer
  48. Ultra*HappyCharge
  49. Double0Groove
  50. SmashBro99
  51. Marshall
  52. lltacx
  53. zabimaru1000
  54. ZagarTulip
  55. FirestormNeos
  56. Sykin
  57. GravelerChamp60
  58. Mr Gentleman
  59. P.Kat
  60. sonofwiseii
  61. tehponycorn

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Add me to the Sora support list. Geno is my most wanted newcomer, but I'd love to see Sora in this game as well. Someone in the General Ultimate thread reminded me of how much I enjoyed the games as a kid. So, yeah, sign me up!

osby

Smash Obsessed
I won't be a big vocal supporter but Sora is great and the hero of Kingdom Hearts deserves a place in Smash. Please count me as a supporter too.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
While I'm not entirely against Sora, I'm very wary of Sora... Not only would he unlock the door, he'd open the floodgates. Sora being Disney, and inherently containing non-video game originating content (such as the Mickey Logo on his keyblade), he'd be a very slippery slope to non-game origin characters. And while I absolutely love Disney, and would even love a Video Game Mickey inspired Mickey Mouse... I kinda, don't.

When it comes to third parties, I want Smash to remain video game in origin content only. Sora is alright, but he definitely makes the situation precarious.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
While I'm not entirely against Sora, I'm very wary of Sora... Not only would he unlock the door, he'd open the floodgates. Sora being Disney, and inherently containing non-video game originating content (such as the Mickey Logo on his keyblade), he'd be a very slippery slope to non-game origin characters. And while I absolutely love Disney, and would even love a Video Game Mickey inspired Mickey Mouse... I kinda, don't.

When it comes to third parties, I want Smash to remain video game in origin content only. Sora is alright, but he definitely makes the situation precarious.
I completely disagree.
Because the symbol in question is just a reference, it would be impossible to make a case around opening the flood gates for non-videogame characters to join.

Plus, it wouldn't be the first time none videogame originating content made it into smash. For example: Cloud Strife's movie design, or even R.O.B., a toy designed to play videogames with you as opposed to originating in a videogame itself.

You could even make an argument that Captain Falcon himself didn't originate in a videogame, since his character was originally shown in the box art for F-Zero and a comic book that came with the game, but not the actual game itself.

All in All, the Mickey mouse keychain shouldn't be any issue.

Last edited:

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Realistically speaking, how much is Kingdom Hearts recognized as a series overall in gaming?

I feel like that's a huge criteria for third party fighters. In that sense, Lara Croft or Scorpion would fit the bill.

Some examples:

Metal Gear Solid: Widely popular video game franchise and referenced in movies and TV shows (i.e. Wreck It Ralph)
Final Fantasy: Franchise that defined the RPG genre with FF7 was one of the most popular games in the series and Cloud being the mascot for it.
Street Fighter: One of the franchises that defined the fighting game genre, arcades had this game.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Kingdom Hearts is huge in gaming, really huge, probably the third most popular RPG franchise behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

However, it's Disney... And it contains Disney properties as an integral part of its world, design, and gameplay... And I just feel that's dangerously close to non-game originating, since most of the franchise and its appeal comes from pre-existing material. But eh, Sora could maybe pull it off.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai is keeping that aspect in mind when it comes to 3rd party there are a lot of other characters that are more iconic.

I do really want Sora in smash, but this is me realistically speaking.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Yeah, I'd agree. But let's not dismiss Kingdom Hearts entirely. Being the third most popular RPG franchise of all time is nothing to scoff at. And it's something that Smash Bros. could inch towards very quickly too.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
KH will definitely inch to Smash at some point. Sakurai is already close buddies with Nomura after the negotiation of Cloud, Sora would be an ideal choice to add for the base game or DLC.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Whether or not it's possible is entirely dependent on the demand for his inclusion. His game's popularity has very little relevancy in this discussion if most of the fanbase isn't interested in seeing him enter Smash bros.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Whether or not it's possible is entirely dependent on the demand for his inclusion. His game's popularity has very little relevancy in this discussion if most of the fanbase isn't interested in seeing him enter Smash bros.
Speaking of which, Ridley is an example of huge demand from mainly North American fans. While Bayonetta won the most voted character in Europe.

I think Sora's demand only lies within the KH fanbase which I don't believe to be as much as other character's fanbases.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Speaking of which, Ridley is an example of huge demand from mainly North American fans. While Bayonetta won the most voted character in Europe.

I think Sora's demand only lies within the KH fanbase which I don't believe to be as much as other character's fanbases.
The KH fanbase itself is pretty big. Comparatively speaking, it's bigger than the Ridley fanbase by leaps and bounds. I think you're confusing the overall fanbase with the support for #Sora4smash. Or maybe I'm the one who's misunderstanding what you're trying to say. Either way, if we got most of the fanbase on board with the idea, then he'd be a shoo-in as a DLC character.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I don't think "fanbases" matter all that much. If a character is popular, or even if a franchise is popular, that's what would get them into Smash. Not if a fanbase is asking for them to get into Smash... That's not really how it's worked so far.

Sora is popular, Kingdom Hearts is insanely popular. It's the third most popular JRPG franchise, ever. I'm not just pulling that factoid out of nowhere, it's legitimately the case. And that lends a lot of weight to Sora's inclusion... if ever Disney can play ball, or not, if Sakurai thinks that's flying a bit too close to the sun.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
If sora got in but as a kind of copy character like cloud was to Ike, which character would you like to see him based off. I think he would be alright if they used robin as a base so he had all the spells and keyblade as smash attacks. A fast robin sounds pretty amazing, obviously spells might be a little different but its just based on the character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If sora got in but as a kind of copy character like cloud was to Ike, which character would you like to see him based off. I think he would be alright if they used robin as a base so he had all the spells and keyblade as smash attacks. A fast robin sounds pretty amazing, obviously spells might be a little different but its just based on the character.
how was cloud a copy of ike?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Realistically speaking, how much is Kingdom Hearts recognized as a series overall in gaming?

I feel like that's a huge criteria for third party fighters. In that sense, Lara Croft or Scorpion would fit the bill.

Some examples:

Metal Gear Solid: Widely popular video game franchise and referenced in movies and TV shows (i.e. Wreck It Ralph)
Final Fantasy: Franchise that defined the RPG genre with FF7 was one of the most popular games in the series and Cloud being the mascot for it.
Street Fighter: One of the franchises that defined the fighting game genre, arcades had this game.
Bayonetta: Ultra niche younger cousin of the beloved critically acclaimed Capcom franchise. Which one got in Smash again?

That's not to say KH isn't huge either. Just pointing out the flaw in your judgement.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Bayonetta the exception to the rule since she was a part of the Smash Ballot?

I can't think of any other third party character besides her that is a mascot of a widely known gaming franchise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isn't Bayonetta the exception to the rule since she was a part of the Smash Ballot?

I can't think of any other third party character besides her that is a mascot of a widely known gaming franchise.
Kind of. The thing is, we have reason to believe she was chosen outside of the ballot. Though the ballot's votes are presumed real and it more than justifies Sakurai's choice, in hindsight, anyway.

We have a datamine of an update that started about 2 weeks into the ballot. It had character placeholders that were believed to be used for Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta, the first two based upon Ike while the last one is based upon Zero Suit Samus. These aren't just typical "character exists" placeholders, but actually had moveset related stuff. If Bayonetta had a character to be based upon to speed up development, Zero Suit Samus is the only real option, as she has a good build for the flexible type of moveset Bayonetta physically uses.

However, this would be an exception to the rule(though that's more of a guideline he created. Snake was not chosen for his legacy, but because Kojima asked him to put the character in. Geno is another exception, if he becomes playable, that is. Sakurai simply wants him in to please the fans). Generally, he's looking for 3rd parties with a gaming legacy(which actually means their series and often the character alone did something important for gaming, or at least there's little better way to take it since he didn't actually use the word iconic. Which is a misconception of what he actually said). He's had other phrases people completely mistook. Like that they have to have a Nintendo appearance. In reality, it's just something he considers when deciding a character. It's not a strict guideline, but having a previous Nintendo appearance means the company may have a better chance at saying yes with licensing, same with Nintendo being okay with it. It's useful, just not a strict criteria. Literally the most strict criteria he even has for 3rd parties is they need to be a game character first. It's the only one he's doubled down on with no exceptions(not that it can't be changed, just like any guideline can change).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Excluding Western Square franchises like Lara Croft and excluding franchises that are only successful in Japan like Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts is actually Square's 2nd most successful, globally popular, Japanese franchise after Final Fantasy. If a second Square character from a completely new franchise were to happen, Sora would be the next ideal choice.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Added Sora's Pirates of the Caribbean outfit to the OP. If Sora did get in Smash, I wouldn't mind him having that as an alternate costume.

Also, a fan movie I made a long time ago. Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days was the first game in the series I actually played all the way through. Ever since, I've been obsessed with Saïx. And after watching Birth by Sleep, he immediately became mine favourite character. I wonder if we'll see him in a future Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer.

Top Bottom