• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Ok so I don't know why I avoided this thread, I think I just don't comment in threads for characters that have enough possibility to potentially maybe make it but are realistically a pretty far off chance. There just seems to be more vitriol and blind thought maybe? I dunno.

Anyway that wonderful waffling aside, Sora is in my top 5 for Smash. Obviously I'm a HUGE KH fan, in fact it was one of the first games I ever picked up for myself and not one I played with or watched an older sibling play. I don't personally find Sora that interesting as his own character (classic Shonen MC syndrome I guess), but the charm of his design and the series is well worth it anyway.

So yeah, add me to this list or something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think we might need to wait a bit on Sora as a DLC fighter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KINGDOMHEARTS/status/1005683145990025216
It's possible, but 3rd parties aren't in the same situation as other 1st/2nd party characters. They're generally chosen for their gaming history. Timing isn't as relevant as what they can bring and how easily they can be licensed. If Sora was chosen, it depends more upon how easily Sakurai can implement the character. For instance, the reason Ryu wasn't base roster was because he couldn't figure out an interesting gameplay mechanic for him. He wasn't looking for when a game currently was in development, he was looking at the character.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
KH has to be one of my favorite series ever but I never supported Sora for Smash just because there were better Nintendo relevant 3rd parties but now that KH3 has a solid release date my love for the series has been bolstered and now I don't care he has nothing to do with Nintendo I want him in Smash. Gosh seeing the 5-year wait for 3 is finally coming to an end just makes me so happy.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
KH has to be one of my favorite series ever but I never supported Sora for Smash just because there were better Nintendo relevant 3rd parties but now that KH3 has a solid release date my love for the series has been bolstered and now I don't care he has nothing to do with Nintendo I want him in Smash. Gosh seeing the 5-year wait for 3 is finally coming to an end just makes me so happy.
Sora has more to do with Nintendo than Snake and he would fit right in.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Lol like half of the original KH titles were on Nintendo:
  • Gameboy: CoM
  • DS: 358/2 Days, Re:Coded
  • 3DS: DDD
To say Sora or KH has nothing to do with Nintendo is objectively false.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
And remember with Kingdom Hearts nothing is a spinoff. EVERYTHING matters.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Oh boy, I love KH, but man do I have a problem with the absolute cluster**** they've gotten themselves into for 3.
I'll feel sorry for people who play KH3 and who haven't played every game

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I like the idea, and it would probably build up hype, but I can't see it happening. I'm no expert of copyright and all that junk, but Kindom Hearts is part Square Enix, part Disney, thus meaning it would only make sense that Disney would have to give there support for Sora to be in a fighting game. While Square Enix does own Sora, at the same time, including Kingdom Hearts as a franchise would naturally mean using some of Disney's characters like Donald and Goofy. I think that's where there's a bump in the road. Not to mention I heavily doubt they'd support Donald and Goofy potentially being support trophy's, beating the crud out of their foes. Then again, they let them do the same to the Heartless. Who knows. (Again, not a copyright expert, some not everything I just said is 100% accurate.)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Whatever event happens in 2018 bears no effect on the project plan in 2016. Again, Sora still has a real shot at being considered since his ballot popularity is likely high with Nomura surely open to the idea of him playable in Smash.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well it's more that is primarily Sony. Sure KH has releases on Nintendo so does Snake that doesn't make him have good Nintendo history. I mean 1 is only on PlayStation, the best game in the series 2 is only on PlayStation, Re:COM, BBS, 1.5, 2.5, 2.8, and 1.5+2.5 are still only with Sony. And finally 3 will be skipping the Switch (at least for now) and is coming to the XBone and PS4. I love Sora but his prime is clearly on Sony consoles and that's what makes me consider him not to have a good Nintendo history.

Last edited:

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
Either way, we only have a little over a day to wait. Here's hoping they make history with the reveal of Sora for smash at E3 2018!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well it's more that is primarily Sony. Sure KH has releases on Nintendo so does Snake that doesn't make him have good Nintendo history. I mean 1 is only on PlayStation, the best game in the series 2 is only on PlayStation, Re:COM, BBS, 1.5, 2.5, 2.8, and 1.5+2.5 are still only with Sony. And finally 3 will be skipping the Switch (at least for now) and is coming to the XBone and PS4. I love Sora but his prime is clearly on Sony consoles and that's what makes me consider him not to have a good Nintendo history.
Final Fantasy hasn't gotten a main series title on Nintendo since the SNES in 1994. Only spin-offs have seen such releases since then, much like how KH only sees its smaller non-numbered stories on Nintendo's handhelds (as stated above, these are still important to the main KH universe!).

Yet, look where Cloud is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Final Fantasy hasn't gotten a main series title on Nintendo since the SNES in 1994. Only spin-offs have seen such releases since then, much like how KH only sees its smaller non-numbered stories on Nintendo's handhelds (as stated above, these are still important to the main KH universe!).

To be fair, he was actually chosen to be a FF-in-General representative. However, it's clear that he's designed to be FFVII-incarnate, not a a representation of FF in general. That might be Squeenix's doing, really.

Not that it matters much, as overall, not only does a character not have to have a Nintendo appearance to get in, but having smaller roles don't make a difference with bigger roles. What's important is the character and why they're chosen. In Cloud's case, it's still solely his own merits as a character, as he's the most recognizable FF character in general. Sakurai was not looking for someone who was "close to Nintendo" whatsoever. All the more reason why him choosing a character with no Nintendo appearances is reasonable if they're able to be worked out.

In fact, Sakurai wasn't entirely sure what he would've done if Cloud has no Nintendo appearances at all. In other words, he didn't have a gameplan entirely for that. He still would've likely chosen him any way because of his gaming history, instead of going for a character with a Nintendo appearance, because he knew which one was the most popular. That's overall what was most important, the character, not the Nintendo appearances.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
To be fair, he was actually chosen to be a FF-in-General representative. However, it's clear that he's designed to be FFVII-incarnate, not a a representation of FF in general. That might be Squeenix's doing, really.

Not that it matters much, as overall, not only does a character not have to have a Nintendo appearance to get in, but having smaller roles don't make a difference with bigger roles. What's important is the character and why they're chosen. In Cloud's case, it's still solely his own merits as a character, as he's the most recognizable FF character in general. Sakurai was not looking for someone who was "close to Nintendo" whatsoever. All the more reason why him choosing a character with no Nintendo appearances is reasonable if they're able to be worked out.

In fact, Sakurai wasn't entirely sure what he would've done if Cloud has no Nintendo appearances at all. In other words, he didn't have a gameplan entirely for that. He still would've likely chosen him any way because of his gaming history, instead of going for a character with a Nintendo appearance, because he knew which one was the most popular. That's overall what was most important, the character, not the Nintendo appearances.
Yeah, he was chosen with not just FFVII's legacy in mind but also the entire series, even if the Smash content begs to differ. I agree that it doesn't matter how much of a Nintendo loyalist the character or their franchise is. Sora and KH definitely have enough of popularity to be in Smash for their numbered titles just like Cloud was, and I'm just pointing out that the two franchises have more similar Nintendo resumes in recent years than people might realize.

Oh, and by the way, first time around this thread so I'd like to say that I'm in full support of Sora's inclusion.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

I actually think Cloud is important to Nintendo because Square sending him to Sony was the the final nail in the coffin of Nintendo's dominance. Sure he's not there to represent them creating their own biggest enemy but that's why he's there to me

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Darn, got beat to the punch.

Not surprised by the Frozen world, nor Larxene's return. As for Aqua, I've always considered her a possible candidate for one of the 13 darknesses--ever since the conversation between Zexion and Xigbar in KHII Final Mix. After all the pain and loss she's endured, and after spending so much time alone in the dark realm, I had no doubt that even someone of her caliber was capable of being corrupted. Personally, I find this plot twist to be bold and interesting. Glad to know I was right.

[UPDATE]

Which brings me to mine next point: With Aqua-nort in the picture, whom is going to be the seventh guardian of light? So far, we have four: Sora, Riku, Kairi, and Mickey. I'll be surprised if the fifth isn't Ventus, since he'll probably wake up once his other half, Roxas, merges with him. Lea will probably be wanting to save Isa, so that makes six.

I think it would be funny if Jack Sparrow turned out to be one of the seven. It is possible Sora unwittingly performed the passing of power ritual on Jack, when he handed Jack his Keyblade, only for it to warp back into Sora's hand. That said, it is entirely possible Jack's heart will forge a new Keyblade, just how Riku's heart forged Way to the Dawn.

For those whom don't know: Keyblades are forged within a person's heart. This was revealed in that Kingdom Hearts X movie. That's why, I think, Xemnas didn't have a Keyblade, despite being the Nobody of two Keyblade wielders. Both Terra and Xehanort's keyblades probably rejected him, and since Xemnas had no heart, he couldn't forge a Keyblade of his own, which is why he recruited Roxas.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I just feel terrible for Aqua. After all she's been through, it hurts me to my very soul to see her suffering the same fate she worked so hard to save Terra from... it was all for naught.

Aqua happens to be my favorite Kingdom Hearts character, so... I wanted to save her. I really hope they are trying to throw us off.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So was at work and got home watched Microsoft's conference and WHY. She was fine at least to the end of KH2 but now she's succumbed to the dark. If only she could have held on just a little bit longer she would have been rescued. I don't know how they are going to save her from the dark now. Also, I don't think she's a member of the Organization I think the yellow eyes happen when someone gets to close to darkness like they become a being of the dark so to speak. But man they really just had to kick her. I can't wait to see the additional torture the rest of BBS trio goes through.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So was at work and got home watched Microsoft's conference and WHY. She was fine at least to the end of KH2 but now she's succumbed to the dark. If only she could have held on just a little bit longer she would have been rescued. I don't know how they are going to save her from the dark now. Also, I don't think she's a member of the Organization I think the yellow eyes happen when someone gets to close to darkness like they become a being of the dark so to speak. But man they really just had to kick her. I can't wait to see the additional torture the rest of BBS trio goes through.
Normura confirmed that the yellow eyes and white hair are a sign that someone has been connected to Xehanort.

Actual footage of me after seeing my beloved Aqua in this state:

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Did he? I know the pattern has been yellow eyes so far but Aqua was completely enveloped in Darkness and so it would make sense that the look is more a sign of becoming a part of the darkness. I mean it's good twist seeing Aqua become a Xehanort but it would be more interesting in my eyes if there was an entire group of dark humans so to speak and Xehanort's obsession with the dark is what caused him to become one. I mean it kinda just feels like Terra 2 with her also being Xehanort. Guess how we free her is how we free him.

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
After all she's been through, it hurts me to my very soul to see her suffering the same fate she worked so hard to save Terra from... it was all for nort.
I'm really sorry but I can't help it XD But yeah, it's really makes me sad to see her like this, living through this physical nightmare. I hope she gets saved in the end. Also, I'm crossing fingers for Sora in Smash most likely being as DLC ^_^

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I predicted Aqua was gonna be the new Riku like 10 years ago and so far everything is proving me right. Hopefully they can monologue about The Darkness™ together once this is all over.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm really sorry but I can't help it XD But yeah, it's really makes me sad to see her like this, living through this physical nightmare. I hope she gets saved in the end. Also, I'm crossing fingers for Sora in Smash most likely being as DLC ^_^
D:

Xehanort will pay for what he did to babu. I will have my sweet, sweet revenge and I WILL save her from the darkness. No matter the cost.

Attachments

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

I am SO HAPPY that Pirates of the Caribbean is coming back! That new aesthetic with the Port Royal world is INCREDIBLE! We need more live-action worlds, just for the aesthetic.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Okay, forreal that one line that Xigbar says to Sora scares me... I'm afraid Sora may be a casualty at the end of this game. I know I rag on KH being too afraid to kill their characters, but please don't touch my son. He was singing, we don't deserve this.

Also, it's a shame that bundle is gonna be a PS4 exclusive...for now. Honestly they revealed 3 trailers in like 24 hours so I can see them bringing some kind of blindside tomorrow with a "BY THE WAY KH ON NINTENDO SWITCH".

Top Bottom