• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ummm... No. It was just the character that had to be a videogame original character.
Yes, however by looking at the trend of 3rd party characters, each one has been from a franchise that was primarily a videogame. (For example, Pacman was from the game first, not the 1980 cartoon that was then turned into a game.

As such the criteria for a support thread on Smashboards must be about a character whose original franchise was a videogame.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This stuff again? I thought we had this discussion like every page.

Anywho, to make this post not just snarky, what world do you think will be shown off at the Tokyo Game Show? I have a hunch we might see Lilo and Stitch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This stuff again? I thought we had this discussion like every page.

Anywho, to make this post not just snarky, what world do you think will be shown off at the Tokyo Game Show? I have a hunch we might see Lilo and Stitch.
they said they were wanting to show big hero 6 next so hopefully we'll see san fransokyo soon

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Yes, however by looking at the trend of 3rd party characters, each one has been from a franchise that was primarily a videogame. (For example, Pacman was from the game first, not the 1980 cartoon that was then turned into a game.

As such the criteria for a support thread on Smashboards must be about a character whose original franchise was a videogame.
But that's just a coincidence stemmed from the fact that those characters were popular. That and the fact that there aren't alot of original gaming characters that originate in movie/[insert other media format here] to begin with.

As far as I see it, we should at least allow those types of characters a support thread until Sakurai confirms that the franchise they were born in needs to be a videogame franchise.

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
they said they were wanting to show big hero 6 next so hopefully we'll see san fransokyo soon
I wonder what has been taking Square so long to show off BH6 at this point; if I recall correctly, it was the 2nd or 3rd Disney world to be confirmed officially for the game. Was it just personal choice, or something more like potential spoilers or more intensive workload?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Every single playable 3rd party character was from a video game franchise first. That's why we're sticking with that rule.

...And playable 1st party, but that has different rules here. Mainly because non-game 1st party content actually exists or is referenced in Smash. Ash from Pokemon is a definite case of this(via Pokemon Trainer's 4 trophy). The Misty Trophy is a borderline case in Melee, as she was a game character first, but used her anime design.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wonder what has been taking Square so long to show off BH6 at this point; if I recall correctly, it was the 2nd or 3rd Disney world to be confirmed officially for the game. Was it just personal choice, or something more like potential spoilers or more intensive workload?
i think i read somewhere that it was one of the last worlds they chose for the game, so while it was the second to be announced it was one of the least developed

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
My personal theory about BH6 is that Aqua is the world's Xehanort/antagonist, so they couldn't reveal that until after E3. Someone on Reddit once mentioned that apparently "Dark Baymax's" story could mirror Aqua's, which sounds pretty sound to me.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
He's absolutely realizable. Disney saying no isn't that likely in itself. They just ask one guy, and this is Smash, where many people say yes because they feel it'd be an honor to have him in.

What is the hard part is representing the content correctly. Especially depending if Sakurai wants to have zero Disney characters like Mickey in. That also means changing the keychain itself to make licensing issues easier. The idea of Sora being allowed in, yeah, is not really hard at all. It's everything after that is a crapfest.
The keychain shouldn't be an issue as a number of KH Blades don't use a chain, so it being detached would not be that crazy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The keychain shouldn't be an issue as a number of KH Blades don't use a chain, so it being detached would not be that crazy.
I don't think it'll get detached, but to be fair, it could be an issue for licensing or change the cost. Companies are stingy with the use of their IP, which isn't actually unfair by any means.

But yeah, it depends exactly what is used and how it's done. This type of thing can make character creation complicated. And it's a very real factor.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I mainly hang about the Shantae thread, but I just gotta pop in and say I super support Sora in Smash, he's got so many moves that could translate over well, and Kingdom Hearts is, in my mind at least, one of the most notable crossovers in gaming. Plus KH2 is one of my favourite games of all time and if Nintendo could somehow get some music off of Square, that'd be amazing, 'cause Yoko Shimomura is already a composer for at least one track in Smash, and hearing her do a smash remix of one of her own songs would be pretty fun.

Plus I think 'cause Sora IS a video game character, he could totally be in. At least he's been on Nintendo stuff before. Also I'd want him to be in the KH2 outfit, but that's just 'cause it's personally my favourite one.

Last edited:

Yusa

Smash Cadet
Sign me up!
Two of my favourite crossover franchises crossing over? Heck yeah.
Sora's moveset potential is near limitless, so i'd just hope they don't go overboard or too safe with it. SSF2 handles it pretty well, but i think Sakurai really is the man who could get the perfect balance between being faithful to the source material and making a fun, coherent design.

But, to be fair, even if Sora ended up a generic swordsman for whatever reason, i'd still main him.
And put the music on max volume whenever on his stage.

Man, this is the stuff of dreams.

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
With how big of an action RPG KH is, I would think it deserves some representation. I think flow motion could make for a interesting mechanic, I can picture sora bouncing off platforms. Plus the use of magic and possibly transforming key blades would give him difference among sword users.

Above all else though, I want KH music in smash, shouldn’t be a problem so as long as they don’t use any songs tied to any Disney movie.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Every single playable 3rd party character was from a video game franchise first. That's why we're sticking what that rule.
I gotta say, I just don't agree with that line of thinking.

Two or three are a coincidence. 8 are a trend.
"That and the fact that there aren't alot of original gaming characters that originate in movie/[insert other media format here] to begin with."
With that being reiterated, it's a trend of popular picks, which still makes it a coincidence that they all came from gaming franchises. For it not to be a coincidence, you'd need at least one example of a franchise holding a character back. Especially since Sakurai has only ever specified needing characters to being videogame originals and not the franchise they come from.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Damnit Square, stop reminding me that my girl's been Norted! It's pissing me off.
And she looks like she's in an even worse state than I originally thought. Like some of her clothes look like they're fused to her skin. Just let her be happy, you monsters ;~;

Also I don't understand why there's this ongoing argument that Sora's not deserving of a thread while Kingdom Hearts is a franchise of its own. It seems kinda silly because its been rebuked again and again and again and again but its still going on.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
And she looks like she's in an even worse state than I originally thought. Like some of her clothes look like they're fused to her skin. Just let her be happy, you monsters ;~;

Also I don't understand why there's this ongoing argument that Sora's not deserving of a thread while Kingdom Hearts is a franchise of its own. It seems kinda silly because its been rebuked again and again and again and again but its still going on.
Because that one particular user can't accept that he's been proved wrong and exists solely to argue and cause drama. You know who you are -_-

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please don't talk about other users specifically in this thread. Reply to them(in a civil and constructive manner) when they say something, but otherwise, please reply constructively and without sniping.

Besides, it's not like we're going to entertain rules lawyering either way, so it's not an issue. If it becomes a drama issue, we will do something about it.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Speculation has been going around that Xion might be one of the thirteen Xehanorts. When I saw that part of the video, I assumed it was just Young Xehanort, but on second glance, the hair is shorter and more curved. Futhermore, why hide the face of someone whom we already know is part of the Organisation? While most people are flipping out, personally I am intrigued. I love these kind of plot twists; they add flare.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speculation has been going around that Xion might be one of the thirteen Xehanorts. When I saw that part of the video, I assumed it was just Young Xehanort, but on second glance, the hair is shorter and more curved. Futhermore, why hide the face of someone whom we already know is part of the Organisation? While most people are flipping out, personally I am intrigued. I love these kind of plot twists; they add flare.

personally im not surprised about anyone being one of xehanort anymore, probably cause ive been suspecting everyone since ddd

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Can we get some Pit and Sora dialogue if he gets into smash I think it would be hilarious.
As much as people seem to dislike Haley Joel Osment (Sora (Vanitas)) I think he would really shine in smash working with Antony Del Rio (Pit). I actually like Haley Joel's voice acting personally.

(Heartless appear out of no where)
[Pit]: where did all these creature come from
[Palutena]: They come from the darkness within people heart Pit
[Pit]: Theirs so many of them, what should I do...
[Sora]: Whoa they're here to?
[Pit]: huh, how'd you get here?..
[Palutena]: Never mind that Pit you need to protect the civilian!
[Pit]: Im on it Lady Palutena (to Sora) Quick get behind me!
[Sora]: Thanks but you don't need to worry about me
(Sora charges through the heartless taking out a good portion of them, he turns around with his cheesy grin)
[Pit]: umm Lady Palutena I think he can protect me better than I can protect him, who is he?
[Palutena]: I don't know but the light within his heart is pure and he doesn't appear to be from this world...
[Pit]: "This world"?
[Palutena]: thats right Pit, their are multiple worlds within our universe how do you think you can meet up with all these hero's when your in that ultimate arena?
[Pit]: wow thats amazing... WAIT if he's here does that mean...

[Sora]: So where do I sign up to join this tournament?

I dunno just some random spit ball of text haha. I probably haven't played uprising recently enough to try to imitate Pits and Palutena's dialogue as well as Sora I guess.

Last edited:

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Can we get some Pit and Sora dialogue if he gets into smash I think it would be hilarious.
As much as people seem to dislike Haley Joel Osment (Sora (Vanitas)) I think he would really shine in smash working with Antony Del Rio (Pit). I actually like Haley Joel's voice acting personally.

(Heartless appear out of no where)
[Pit]: where did all these creature come from
[Palutena]: They come from the darkness within people heart Pit
[Pit]: Theirs so many of them, what should I do...
[Sora]: Whoa they're here to?
[Pit]: huh, how'd you get here?..
[Palutena]: Never mind that Pit you need to protect the civilian!
[Pit]: Im on it Lady Palutena (to Sora) Quick get behind me!
[Sora]: Thanks but you don't need to worry about me
(Sora charges through the heartless taking out a good portion of them, he turns around with his cheesy grin)
[Pit]: umm Lady Palutena I think he can protect me better than I can protect him, who is he?
[Palutena]: I don't know but the light within his heart is pure and he doesn't appear to be from this world...
[Pit]: "This world"?
[Palutena]: thats right Pit, their are multiple worlds within our universe how do you think you can meet up with all these hero's when your in that ultimate arena?
[Pit]: wow thats amazing... WAIT if he's here does that mean...

[Sora]: So where do I sign up to join this tournament?

I dunno just some random spit ball of text haha. I probably haven't played uprising recently enough to try to imitate Pits and Palutena's dialogue as well as Sora I guess.
I like HJO in both 1 & 2, but I feel like he's getting too old for the job. Seeing him voice Sora in DDD was really jarring especially because the design was taken from KH1. He does a good Vanitas because he can easily go at a low voice.

Also it seems like the Direct is hinting towards a Golden Sun game, Isaac in Smash, or both. Any predictions for the direct?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I like HJO in both 1 & 2, but I feel like he's getting too old for the job. Seeing him voice Sora in DDD was really jarring especially because the design was taken from KH1. He does a good Vanitas because he can easily go at a low voice.

Also it seems like the Direct is hinting towards a Golden Sun game, Isaac in Smash, or both. Any predictions for the direct?
even more third party ports but not kingdom hearts

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
So World of Final Fantasy is coming to the switch. Sora is now going to officially be on the switch (assuming he's still in the switch version).
With this Sora will now be in 5 games on Nintendo... we also got FFX and FFXII from memory Kingdom Hearts ran on one of those engines so we might see Square make a move with how well Square is doing on the switch.

I think I'm trying pretty hard to find some sort of link that could lead to Sora being in smash. I'm confident enough to say that if he's not in the base roster then we can get enough fan support for Sakurai to get him in as DLC at least.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
So World of Final Fantasy is coming to the switch. Sora is now going to officially be on the switch (assuming he's still in the switch version).
With this Sora will now be in 5 games on Nintendo... we also got FFX and FFXII from memory Kingdom Hearts ran on one of those engines so we might see Square make a move with how well Square is doing on the switch.

I think I'm trying pretty hard to find some sort of link that could lead to Sora being in smash. I'm confident enough to say that if he's not in the base roster then we can get enough fan support for Sakurai to get him in as DLC at least.
Not trying to be negative but we don't even know Sora will be on the switch port to begin with.

Sora was a limited time offer for DLC and we don't even know if they'll port over all the DLC content. Also Nomura seems pretty occupied with bringing out KH3, I'm not sure if his team even has the time to port over 1.5+2.5 for switch.

But World of Final Fantasy was still proof that disney had no problems with other companies using their IP.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
all that final fantasy has made me a little more hopeful for kh on the switch
I completely agree. I hope to see the KH collection in 2019 and KH3 in 2020 when they figure out how to port it. I think the main reason that we are getting all these FF games on the switch is because of how surprisingly well Octopath travellers sold worldwide. If this is the case if we get these FF titles and support Square Enix more they might eventually port KH.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I completely agree. I hope to see the KH collection in 2019 and KH3 in 2020 when they figure out how to port it. I think the main reason that we are getting all these FF games on the switch is because of how surprisingly well Octopath travellers sold worldwide. If this is the case if we get these FF titles and support Square Enix more they might eventually port KH.
i think im defiantly getting most of them

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

Yeah, personally I'm not expecting Sora in the base roster. But all these Final Fantasy titles coming to the Switch have increased mine hopes for the numbered Kingdom Hearts titles being ported as well. Whom knows? We might just get a remake of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days on the Switch. That game is one of mine favourites in the series.

Aside from getting approval from Disney, I think Sora's best bet is the core Kingdom Hearts titles coming to the Switch. Last I heard, Square Enix said they would consider trying to port Kingdom Hearts 3 to the Switch, but not before the PS4 and XB1 versions were finished.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, personally I'm not expecting Sora in the base roster. But all these Final Fantasy titles coming to the Switch have increased mine hopes for the numbered Kingdom Hearts titles being ported as well. Whom knows? We might just get a remake of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days on the Switch. That game is one of mine favourites in the series.

Aside from getting approval from Disney, I think Sora's best bet is the core Kingdom Hearts titles coming to the Switch. Last I heard, Square Enix said they would consider trying to port Kingdom Hearts 3 to the Switch, but not before the PS4 and XB1 versions were finished.
thats what i heard too but i also heard that they tried putting ff15 on the switch but it didnt work (hence pocket hd) so theres a good chance kh3 wont work either (knowing my luck) square enix do like to push consoles to the limits

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
So many great ways to go about his reveal trailer. From the message in a bottle while hanging with Riku and Kairi on Destiny Island , traveling to a new world via the gummi ship to defeat some heartless in a world he hasnt been to yet, to him signing up for another tournament, if he gets in I have faith in Sakurai making his reveal legendary.

I'm just worried about if Geno gets in, he stands no chance. Geno seems more likely, Sakurai wants him in, and if he gets the ok that's gonna be it.

Oh and Riku as an echo pls.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So many great ways to go about his reveal trailer. From the message in a bottle while hanging with Riku and Kairi on Destiny Island , traveling to a new world via the gummi ship to defeat some heartless in a world he hasnt been to yet, to him signing up for another tournament, if he gets in I have faith in Sakurai making his reveal legendary.

I'm just worried about if Geno gets in, he stands no chance. Geno seems more likely, Sakurai wants him in, and if he gets the ok that's gonna be it.

Oh and Riku as an echo pls.
i dont really see why geno would block sora

Top Bottom