• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora: A new perspective on why he might make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
If theres no good arguments, dont bother trying to counter argue them. Go back to your waterdrop support thread and shut the hell up.
I don't support slime and I have done what I want to do that is to prove that Sora should not and is very unlikely to be in brawl.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
I never said he was needed. and If i did, i meant that I want him in the game.
There was no need for Snake at all. just thought I'd bring it up.
It was kirbywarrior who said that.

Yes there was no need for snake but there are mor eneed for him then Sora.

TamJammerz

Smash Apprentice
Congratulations... You just converted a Sora hater.

Am I supposed to be happy, or sad :p

k-sin

Smash Cadet
While there seems to be a huge gap between the lovers and the haters on this topic, I'm going to say while as improbable as Megaman (imo), Sora has got a chance and could be a seller for a ton more Wii's (if they had any to keep selling).

My only issue is, Disney is very much NOT a games company, and seem incredibly hostile towards letting their franchise be "used" in it.
For Kingdom hearts the ball was in Disney's court, if Sora turned up in Brawl, anything Disney would be in Nintendo's court. Also how does one include 3rd party items, AT's and stages whilst trying to avoid the Disney franchise when adding a Kingdom hearts character?
I'm not saying it can't be done, nor am I saying it will/won't be done. I'm just interested in if it's done then how?

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
While there seems to be a huge gap between the lovers and the haters on this topic, I'm going to say while as improbable as Megaman (imo), Sora has got a chance and could be a seller for a ton more Wii's (if they had any to keep selling).

My only issue is, Disney is very much NOT a games company, and seem incredibly hostile towards letting their franchise be "used" in it.
For Kingdom hearts the ball was in Disney's court, if Sora turned up in Brawl, anything Disney would be in Nintendo's court. Also how does one include 3rd party items, AT's and stages whilst trying to avoid the Disney franchise when adding a Kingdom hearts character?
I'm not saying it can't be done, nor am I saying it will/won't be done. I'm just interested in if it's done then how?
Sora would not sell many more wii(urder 1000) if he was in brawl, someone from DQ or FF would sell more wiis.

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
Sora would not sell many more wii(urder 1000) if he was in brawl, someone from DQ or FF would sell more wiis.
Dragon Quest? Honestly? Final Fantasy I could almost understand, but Dragon Quest has an extremely niche market at this point, and has almost no really memorable characters. I think you're grievously underestimating how popular Kingdom Hearts is.

Baka: Are you aware that America is not the only location in the entire world?

Fact: It's not that we're underestimating KH, you're grossly overestimating it at the same time as underestimating SE's biggest RPG ever made.

The last KH game was a significant drop from the original - it had a huge opening month, but stopped selling very well before it even hit one million, and dropped to $20.00. KH is not that popular, at least not compared to DQ.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Baka: Are you aware that America is not the only location in the entire world?

Fact: It's not that we're underestimating KH, you're grossly overestimating it at the same time as underestimating SE's biggest RPG ever made.

The last KH game was a significant drop from the original - it had a huge opening month, but stopped selling very well before it even hit one million, and dropped to $20.00. KH is not that popular, at least not compared to DQ.
KH II????? one month after its release date in America it sold over one million copies...it did not stop selling

:lol

Right, you keep believing that. I bet they dropped it to $20.00 as quick as they did for the Hell of it.

Do you realize that by August 2006, KHII was selling less than KH?

Fine, it sold >600k, then >500k, then in the next two months, >100k. Then it dropped to 40k. Then to 30k. Then it dropped to $20.00.

Tell me: Which was more successful, KH or KHII?

But first, tell me: Which is more successful, KH, KHII, or KHCoM?

The simple fact is that not only has KH declined in popularity and reception, but also, the lowest scoring and selling KH is the only KH that Nintendo's gotten so far.

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
Fine, it sold >600k, then >500k, then in the next two months, >100k. Then it dropped to 40k. Then to 30k. Then it dropped to $20.00.

Tell me: Which was more successful, KH or KHII?

But first, tell me: Which is more successful, KH, KHII, or KHCoM?

The simple fact is that not only has KH declined in popularity and reception, but also, the lowest scoring and selling KH is the only KH that Nintendo's gotten so far.
Coming from the guy that wants Slime in Brawl.

The reason that KHCoM sold the least is because it was a side story, more of a link between KHI and KHII. KH never declined in popularity, its just that KHCoM wasn't as popular as the other two games. KHIII is also rumored to release on the Wii, not to mention the future DS game. The fact is, Sora would bring a completely unique and original universe to Brawl, and there are many factors working for him.

So are you saying that even though KHII dropped in popularity versus KH, KHCoM only dropped because of its status?

And wow, a future KH game without Sora in it. Amazing.

And is that Slime crack supposed to be an insult? I didn't realize that a character that's been with Nintendo since the 80's, which has had two starring roles in two handheld games in the past five years, which is the indisputable face of the entire Dragon Quest series, which is Square Enix's biggest series in Japan, with more than five games already released on the DS and Wii, with three games to be released (DQV, VI, and IX). Let's not forget that DQI-VI came out on Nintendo systems originally, and its spin-off, DQ Monsters, has had four installments, and there's a Slime/Mario cross-over. Oh, and the simple fact that Slime is not unworkable and I've proven it.

So Sora is the star of a single GBA game a few years ago, the only one in its series to appear on a Nintendo system. He's owned by Disney. His moves would require licensing from Disney, as it will undoubtedly include Disney references. And the one upcoming KH game doesn't even star him.

So basically, Slime originated with Nintendo, has a massive deluge of DQ games coming to Nintendo systems, has starring roles, has connections to Nintendo. Sora has licensing issues, lack of importance to Nintendo, originating on a different system. So why does Sora beat Slime?

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
So are you saying that even though KHII dropped in popularity versus KH, KHCoM only dropped because of its status?

And wow, a future KH game without Sora in it. Amazing.

And is that Slime crack supposed to be an insult? I didn't realize that a character that's been with Nintendo since the 80's, which has had two starring roles in two handheld games in the past five years, which is the indisputable face of the entire Dragon Quest series, which is Square Enix's biggest series in Japan, with more than five games already released on the DS and Wii, with three games to be released (DQV, VI, and IX). Let's not forget that DQI-VI came out on Nintendo systems originally, and its spin-off, DQ Monsters, has had four installments, and there's a Slime/Mario cross-over. Oh, and the simple fact that Slime is not unworkable and I've proven it.

So Sora is the star of a single GBA game a few years ago, the only one in its series to appear on a Nintendo system. He's owned by Disney. His moves would require licensing from Disney, as it will undoubtedly include Disney references. And the one upcoming KH game doesn't even star him.

So basically, Slime originated with Nintendo, has a massive deluge of DQ games coming to Nintendo systems, has starring roles, has connections to Nintendo. Sora has licensing issues, lack of importance to Nintendo, originating on a different system. So why does Sora beat Slime?
But, would Nintendo want a relatively unknown character like Slime to be in their game compared to a more well known character like Sora, one that was on Sakurai's poll.

The Slime thing wasn't meant to be a crack, my mistake, its that I don't believe taht he'll ever ever have the chance of being in Brawl, ever.

SE'S BIGGEST FREAKING SERIES IN JAPAN

THE MASCOT OF SE'S BIGGEST SERIES IN JAPAN

THE MOST COMMON, WELL-KNOWN, AND PROMOTED ANYTHING DQ RELATED

There we go. You either are completely wrong or think that Japanese do not count as people.

Slime is more well-recognized than Sora. That is 100%, absolute fact. Anyone who denies it is completely and undeniably wrong.

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
SE'S BIGGEST FREAKING SERIES IN JAPAN

THE MASCOT OF SE'S BIGGEST SERIES IN JAPAN

THE MOST COMMON, WELL-KNOWN, AND PROMOTED ANYTHING DQ RELATED

There we go. You either are completely wrong or think that Japanese do not count as people.

Slime is more well-recognized than Sora. That is 100%, absolute fact. Anyone who denies it is completely and undeniably wrong.
That just solidifies my statement. Slime is recognized in Japan ONLY. Sora is recognizable in Japan AND the US.

Make a slime thread. I'd be interested to see all your theories, movesets, etc. all on one page.

I've already done so. 0% of anyone who made an argument against Slime made it well enough.

Sonic and Snake are already appealing to American and European audiences.

By the way, DQVIII sold 600,000 in Europe. And more than 700,000 in North America.

Sonic doesn't appeal to Japanese gamers whatsoever. Adding in Slime would add balance - Hell, Slime is more popular in America, and more popular in Europe, than Sonic is in Japan.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I've already done so. 0% of anyone who made an argument against Slime made it well enough.

Sonic and Snake are already appealing to American and European audiences.

By the way, DQVIII sold 600,000 in Europe. And more than 700,000 in North America.

Sonic doesn't appeal to Japanese gamers whatsoever. Adding in Slime would add balance - Hell, Slime is more popular in America, and more popular in Europe, than Sonic is in Japan.
you got proof that Sonic isnt popular in Japan?

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
To be honest, Slime is all that, just a globule of slime. He wouldn't have a good moveset, his movest would seem unrealistic and honestly, dumb. He has no personality at all, and his role in the SSE would be stupid. He is a generic character just like a Chocobo, Moogle, Goomba, or a Heartless. Slime stared in spin-off games, that IMO weren't very good. KHCoM was not a spinoff, it was a bridge between the two games, so don't even say that it was a spin-off game.

The last Sonic game, Sonic Rush Adventure, sold 30,000 copies.

I've also not seen anything to suggest that Sonic has any popularity in the past three years.

Ah, nice to know that you, Paramount, are no less wrong than everyone else who argued that he couldn't work.

B: Borg Slime (dons a robotic HMD and fires a laser from it)
Smash B: Frizz (spits a ball of fire)
Up B: Angel Slime (grows wings and flies into the air)
Down B: Burrow (Burrows into the ground, eventually popping up)
Final Smash: King Slime (fuses with six other Slimes to create the slower, heavier, and more powerful King Slime)

And for A moves, he has the Elasto Blast and Slime Knight.

Now, how exactly, could that not work?

List of things Link can do:

A moves
B moves
Jump
Duck
Double jump
Grab
Throw
Use items
Shield
Final Smash
Taunt

If he can't do one of those, then sure, I'll admit he wouldn't work.

626key

Smash Journeyman
I think that Sakuri is trying to come up with fighters to represent every type of game, First person shooter (Snake and Samus) Development (Pikman and Olimar) Mini game (Wario Ware) and RPG (Pokemon)
P.S. I know calling Pikman a development game is a stretch, but the sim city guy is an AT

k-sin

Smash Cadet
I think Sonic being in brawl is a little more to do with SEGA trying to give Sonic a foothold in a market that currently isn't too interested in him. Seeing as Mario&Sonic at the Olympic Games is one of Sonic's best titles in Japan (due to Mario's appearance).
Also who was the creator of Slime and do they still work with SE and what relations do they have in the past or present with Nintendo?
(I ask this because of parts of the company splitting off to make games like Blue Dragon on the 360, may result in certain franchises of SE not having the creator round to push a character)

Another point is that Japan's game market is decreasing, while America's is growing. Why add characters to boost attention in a declining market, when you can add ones for an increasing market. (Though I may be wrong on this, my source did sound like he'd done some serious research into the matter)

The Japanese market has been very good to Nintendo. The market was plummeting back with Melee, but they still threw in FE characters and almost threw in Lucas.

Also, he was designed by Akira Toriyama and Yuji Horii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom