• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonics Grab Release on MK

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Now this has been going around the board a while, but not has been made a thread about (MrEh's GR thread, but I feel this is more based on THIS exact one and what you can do)

Now this was not found by me, but by other Sonic boarders which when I know who, I'll put it up here.

It is a very tight Grab Release, which is only for an aerial grab release. Sonic can not force this, only when the opponent is above a ledge/end of platform. This happens when the opponent pressing A JUMP INPUT when being grabbed. Example, rotate the control stick, which goes through up (only works with tap jump on, but most MK's almost always have it on for up-B out of shield), or pressing the Y button/X button/Any other button you might have jump as.

To ensure a jump release the character being held must have their feet above the ground and the grabber can not be pummeling as the opponent breaks out. A jump release can also occur if the opponent is inputting jump as they are released. Smarter players will not allow this scenario to happen.

MK will be air released and fall down quickly. Now here you have to buffer your run (I think, I heard most of this in the Xat thread, others know this better than me), run a bit and do a dashgrab. I don't know how much faster a Side-B Shield Canceled grab would be, or a running shieldgrab, but I'll just have it at a dashgrab.

Now here are you options on what you can do.
-Grab him again (This is best done on FD where you can do this about 4 times)

-Hyphen Smash (This works if you get the timing down. I've had it powershielded the first hit a lot of times, but the rest does hit. DACUS DOES NOT WORK, THE STARTUP TIME IS A BIT LONGER

-Dash Attack (This one is one of my personal favorites, because if you do INSTANT DASH ATTACK, you pop them up right above you with weak hitbox. You can just feel the Anthinus Combo itching. This is my option at 100%+, as the U-air after Anthinus Combo, which is placing a Spring after a weak dash attack and hitting them with an U-air, kills them off top. Try this.
Note: MK can D-air you before Springing :( Still a good mixup if you are CGing all the time.

-F-air offstage (This works if the MK is far enough to go past the ledge. Good to get him offstage and doing 14%)

-Infinite regrab on Corneria/other high walls: MC explained it, I'll just quote it.
its an infinite if they air release. i usually don't try to regrab and use it to dsmash or fsmash. if you try and ARI (Air Release Infinite) then they usually catch on and stop trying to jump out of your grab

i have found that dsmash actually works out better than fsmash does at almost every percent, fsmash hits MK up rather than behind you like dsmash does
When you do this, air release works for a regrab. Too bad Corneria is banned now :(
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7406963&postcount=55

This is what I collected so far. I've done my testing on a CPU lvl 7 MK (NOT IN TRAINING MODE) because he always does a jump release so I had easier testing. Also this might not be as accurate, but I do believe it is pretty close because the comp did try to shield my followups ASAP.

On a less related note, offstage footstool D-air on FD is pretty **** legit. This is not from grab release on MK btw, just footstool lol.

Discuss about the grab release here.

I am currently testing how long you can CG on a level before your opponent is offstage. Neutrals only first. All is done from one side to the other.

- FD - you can grab 4 times, 5th release will be offstage to a F-air

- Yoshi's Island - 3 times, 4th release brings him offstage. You might think this does not work, but it's not hard. MK goes trough the platform very easily. When it's at mid height MK goes trough. Only the low part is bad.

- BF - the platforms make this CG unusable. If you grab him under a platform you can grab him one more time. Try to do U-smash or U-throw instead.

- Smashville - 3 times, 4th release offstage. The platform does not help MK to get out, it's too high. This stage is really legit. If your opponent is at about 60% you can camp on the moving platform for a grab. If you grab your MK the way the platform is moving, you can do small walk CG on him, untill you reach the end. Release him off (THIS IS A FORCED RELEASE AS HE SHOULD BE OVER THE EDGE RIGHT NOW) and F-air him out of the level. This is pretty hard to pull of but so sexy.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
nice going gf2tw! another tool to take that meat knight down.

I believe it was KID and Memphis who discovered this? Well, either way, this is gonna help out greatly. So, this is only if the MK is inputting a jump command? thats no good, i wish we could force a air release. But, i really like the idea of getting him off the stage and getting in a free fair. Also, is the footstool to dair sweetspoted?

EDIT: Rick makes me sadface now. I think we need to do this with 2 humans...

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Yes, SM5.
And Rick, I am 100% sure MK can not do that.

This isn't meant to be a whole stage grab release if your opponent is smart, but this can be used as Grab > Grab release (air) > Grab > U-throw or something.

Anthinus grab release is win.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
You might want to modify your wording:

With respect to Sonic:

To ensure a jump release the character being held must have their feet above the ground and the grabber can not be pummeling as the opponent breaks out. A jump release can also occur if the opponent is inputting jump as they are released. Smarter players will not allow this scenario to happen.

On the edge of a stage/platform Wario can be grab released into a fsmash (tilted up) which works rather nicely. I was just experimenting with this. Sonic can not force a jump release on Wario in the middle of the stage. Wario's feet dangle and touch the ground.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
You can get a guaranteed fair off the stage? So.....Ledge GR to Fair...which can be FSJed immediately right? So if we LGR to Fair to fsj to Dair...is the dair sweetspotted? That would be WAY too sick.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Can't you get an air release if you grab them out of the air?
No, that's irrelevant. Forcing it still depends on whether their feet are touching ground or not. Of course, if you catch them in the air when you're on the edge then yes... but that is still because the opponent's feet are off the ground.

@Terios: Yes, this would be doable at mid-range percents. It depends on the character though. Wario is one of the easiest to punish out of air-grab release.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
If you want to not make it back Terios, yes. You would not be able to make it back cause you're far out the stage. Don't attempt it unless you're at a stock lead. And chances are MK makes it back cause of his stupid recovery. If he's at high %, F-air knocks him away too far.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
Would the air grab release be more effective on Lylat? Since the stage tilts and the opponent could conceivably not be touching the ground?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
No, the release does not work at all there. The platforms interfere, the stage tilts make him either touch the ground early, or not at all, at which point he can jump out + airdodge, nair or anything else.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So...you can legit CG MK across the stage from an air release?

Snap.

Not that the odds of this happening are high, but snap.

:093:

Browny

Smash Hater
sonic cant force an air release ffs

do people even test this ONCE before posting? The MK has control of whether he is released on the ground if Sonic tries to GR him. sonics uthrow does 12%, its a safe option, just stick with it.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I doubt it Cam.
I just said grabbing them out of the air allows for the grab to be a little higher, I'm not sure if you can air-release MK just by grabbing him out of the air.
Although, that works for Wario, but when can you grab wario out of the air? Lol

YES DJ. If you grab them and their feet are off the ground, you can air release right?
If you grab them out of the air, you grab them a little higher.
You grab wario out of the air, you can air release him.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
All I have to do is upload footage proving the pro-grab release wrong. Since that's the only way to settle this. I can forge footage to make it look like it works everytime, but that's not the case.... I'm capturing it now. I just got it saved.

You might want to modify your wording:

With respect to Sonic:

On the edge of a stage/platform Wario can be grab released into a fsmash (tilted up) which works rather nicely. I was just experimenting with this. Sonic can not force a jump release on Wario in the middle of the stage. Wario's feet dangle and touch the ground.
Sonic can't force a jump release on anyone in the middle of FD. Thus, for Sonic this is very situational and should not be blown out of proportion. Still, it would be nice to know which characters are easier to do this against... wario is the easiest and lucario/MK are pretty ridiculous to punish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KxUZbFVK0
^Live and Learn

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
sonic cant force an air release ffs

do people even test this ONCE before posting? The MK has control of whether he is released on the ground if Sonic tries to GR him. sonics uthrow does 12%, its a safe option, just stick with it.
you can do all of his smashes or regrab when its against a wall. if hes dumb enough to air release the entire time then you could 'infinite'

also, it helps with placement. depending on stage and etc, you can move MK across the stage if you want to. Up throw does 12 percent but then you're just putting MK above you, which is stupid.

EDIT - Dnes you weren't doing the MK release as I said

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Why is it stupid to put MK above you? He has bad air speed and you can actually pursuit him from the ground or in the air and wait to punish him since you outmaneuver and outspeed him in the situation.

He's still broken, but it's not as bad when you put him in the air. He can't stay up there forever.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Are you not aware of the shield button?

Or how about the fact that you can @#$%ing camp him far enough that he can't do anything without risking being punished but not so close that you're going to hold up your shield like a fool and let him drain it down? It's so ridiculous I gotta swear.

MK =/= mobility/speed.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Why is it stupid to put MK above you? He has bad air speed and you can actually pursuit him from the ground or in the air and wait to punish him since you outmaneuver and outspeed him in the situation.

He's still broken, but it's not as bad when you put him in the air. He can't stay up there forever.
its not really stupid, but dair, combined with whorenado is gay to deal with. if you are already nearby, you can punish, but that is still hard to do all the time, because they can retreat with it, then the nado says "**** that strategy." watch APEX. M2k beat lain just because of that on smashville.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
we should start moving this thread towards applications, hard to force or not. Someone who doesn't understand the mechanics will give us plenty of opportunity to use this.

So far, without a wall you can re-grab and DACUS

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yeah Kojin. But WE'RE fast as hell. ****. You can Uthrow run away expecting the Nado/Dair and punish. It's all about the baiting. If you know what they're gonna do you can counter.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
No.

He does not.

Try and read this thread/ the forum a little bit more please.

Sonic is a decent choice against MK, but I don't think he's good enough as of yet to go neutral/counter him.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
That's irrelevant as I'm guessing you don't play at that high a level. My best character is Sonic and I'd still rather take Pika or Snake up against MK. Even Falco depending on the stage and how easy it is to plank. Sonic is still usable though.

Dsmash is pretty quick..... I just saw the vid by Dnes and MK Air released PRETTY close to the ledge. Could AirR to Dsmash work?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm not successful with hitting people offstage/ on the ledge with DSmash, I have more success using something like DTilt.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
I'm not successful with hitting people offstage/ on the ledge with DSmash, I have more success using something like DTilt.
same. dtilt's hitbox can extend off of a stage, but since that dsmashes hitbox doesnt extend off the stage(AFAIK), well thats no good. AFAIK, an air GR puts MK off the stage. This could MAYBE work vs Wario, though, with his weird GR business,

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
nice going gf2tw! another tool to take that meat knight down.

I believe it was KID and Memphis who discovered this? Well, either way, this is gonna help out greatly. So, this is only if the MK is inputting a jump command? thats no good, i wish we could force a air release. But, i really like the idea of getting him off the stage and getting in a free fair. Also, is the footstool to dair sweetspoted?

EDIT: Rick makes me sadface now. I think we need to do this with 2 humans...
No the original discoverer of this was me. I posted a topic a year ago about it and no one responded except Tenki.
-_-

Top Bottom