• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonics at Apex (Pool/Mothers Day Johns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Awesome.

Wow, all of the Sonics really DO live in PA/NY.

lol

:093:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
If someone can get me directions on how to get there from anywhere in Manhattan, I'll see what I can do. I really wanted to go to Apex, and I honestly dont want a location change like this to uff this up for me.

M@v

Subarashii!
Wait... inui owns a hotel?
DANG!

No.

My family doesn't own it. My father is the Chief Engineer and we've been living here for five years. My dad is essentially tied with the Director of Sales and Head Housekeeper for 2nd most powerful person at the hotel. The owner likes him a lot and management knows me and trusts me, so they let me use the hotel as a venue and they set up Smash players with good deals.
Anyway, Cam You better bring your A game, Im going to try and make it to this. Fox and Falco are coming for you...

aeghrur

Smash Champion
M@V, if you see Kid, go peach. Seriously.
And thanks for the info on Inui, lol. I never knew that. xD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Kid has a worse matchup against Zero Suit.

He can't stop starring, even if he is getting beat up.

Peach just aggreviates him, and he fights back.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Mindgames?

Wait... Does that mean Malcolm has a 99-1 matchup ratio against the likes of the infamous DTilt and Mewtwo?

Anyway if any of you guys are going, I wish you luck.

Cyberman6

Smash Apprentice
I wish didn't move, now I got to travel farther. I'll try coming to this. First, the Game Table tourney moves, and now this one.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well nobody is forcing you to go.

It would just be dandy though if you could, and boost Sonic's chances at placing.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Post if you are a Sonic main attending Apex

Anyway, Cam You better bring your A game, Im going to try and make it to this. Fox and Falco are coming for you...
Fox, no problem.

Falco...oh wait it's your Falco, even easier XD

<3
---
Oh, and all the Sonic mains who either know or are most likely attending this, LET ME KNOW. Make a post saying so in this thread. I'll update the OP with all the Sonics that are possibly going to this thing.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Camal, you should know by now that even if we aren't physically there, we are all bonded by the awesome power of Steak.

...What a way to use up your 5,000th post.

Edit: Oh no wait, my 5,000th post was in the other thread, BRB!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
baaaaaaamp

C'mon, I was hoping to hear from Boxob, KID, and shiz. Any of you guys know if you can make it out to this?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Cool cool beans.

I added a "possible attendee" list.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Pffffft.

Ayaz can't talk about bringing "Canada" unless I'm on that list.

So put me in as a maybe too ^_^

Liek, I can prolly arrange my own ride and stuff.

Booya!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
<3Ghrur

So, it looks like the Apex thread got sticked in the Tournament Listings so...this should be big. Let's get as many Sonics there as we can.

Again, it's in Princeton, NJ, 2-day tournament, being held at Inui's hotel.

The Palmer Inn
3449 US Highway 1
Princeton, NJ 08450
609-452-2500

GO!

I'm also really excited because the whole tournament is apparently being played with Wii's modded with the "No Tripping" code...sexxyy.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
I'm also really excited because the whole tournament is apparently being played with Wii's modded with the "No Tripping" code...sexxyy.

As great as that is, I thought we liked being able to punish others for tripping more than they punish us?

@ event: for me, slim chance. Depends on how I do at MM15 next month.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
As great as that is, I thought we liked being able to punish others for tripping more than they punish us?
Well, I can't "bait" a trip, it just happens...but the same could happen to me and cost me the match...it's a random event which is why so many people hate it since they have no control over it.

And since I play Sonic, I have a much higher chance of tripping than say...ROB?

One less thing to worry about when playing :p

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Well, I can't "bait" a trip, it just happens...but the same could happen to me and cost me the match...it's a random event which is why so many people hate it since they have no control over it.

And since I play Sonic, I have a much higher chance of tripping than say...ROB?

One less thing to worry about when playing :p

Oh, I get that. Just saying it's not just one less thing to worry about; it's also one less tool in our tool belt [however inaccessible that tool is].

infomon

Smash Scientist
My problem is that once you apply the no-trip code.... you're not playing the same Brawl anymore. The game is different. Maybe you don't make different decisions in-game based on the probability of tripping, but I do. And I have never practiced with no-tripping brawl. Furthermore, there are differences to the way the different characters' trip animations, and the characters' effectiveness at dealing with trips. For example, Sonic's fast enough to punish trips other characters can't. As depressing as it sounds, tripping is part of the balance of the game.

I guess there are two ways to think about it. There's "tripping is random and so should be removed from competitive play" (which I agree with :dizzy: I hate tripping so much), but there's another valid perspective. In Smash you don't just fight around your opponent, you also need to respond to environmental situations. Even though the trip itself is random and annoying, your ability to respond to that situation is a relevant aspect of Brawl's gameplay on which we are competing.

So I don't think it should be removed in tournament play.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So I don't think it should be removed in tournament play.
I understand exactly where you are coming from Fizzy, however, I truely don't mind if tournaments have it on or off.

I can only imagine though that it would allow Sonic to abuse his dashdance and such so much more.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
fizzie if you are being serious, that would explain alot.

do you really look at the possibility of tripping, EVERY SINGLE TIME you make a move to attack?

cause if you do that would explain why you arent as good as you could be at this game, cause you take to much into consideration when you move instead of just focusing on the fight

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Losing stocks/matches/momentum/chances because of tripping isn't fun. I can tell you that. Tourney matches are about skill, losing because of 'luck' is silly. Isn't that why stages like WarioWare are banned, the same for items? :/

infomon

Smash Scientist
well, tbh it just means I dashdance less lol.

I'm definitely NOT thinking too much during a match. My problem's that I don't think enough and just stick to following dumb patterns and w/e lol.

The thing is, I really really wish no-tripping were an option in Brawl. It's ******** that it's not an option. Absurd. Sakurai should seriously be fired, and all the rest. However, I think it's unfair to newcomers that won't have had the chance to have played no-tripping brawl before going to a no-tripping tourney, since it is kinda a different game; enough that they might feel at a disadvantage facing someone who dashdances a lot, when that behaviour would normally be punished by the game itself.

Then again, I see very few "newcomers" at brawl tournaments anyway; I just see mostly smashboarders... anyone who plays casually but tries to go to a tournament, just gets wrecked so fast that they're turned off the game.... which is kinda sad. Not really a problem we can solve, but it's something to be aware of. We're all better off, the more we get new blood into tournaments. This is an irrelevant tangent tho ;)

Edit: Chis, about WarioWare... I mean, this goes back to what I said about "randomness is bad" vs. "reacting to environmental situations is fine". IMO, the problem with WarioWare isn't that it has a random minigame pop up every now and then; that's a fine part of the level, you need to learn how to play the different games alongside fighting. The problem though are the random rewards for those games; ie. getting a mushroom when your opponent gets a star, is a catastrophic amount of randomness. But otherwise the situations created by WarioWare, even though they're luck based as for which minigame you get, would have been fine on their own. I think.

That's also sort of an irrelevant tangent, though.

I guess my argument is that small amounts of luck are fine in competitive play; particularly where it's not obviously an advantage for one player vs. another. Tripping, for example, doesn't guarantee a strike on the person who tripped. But it's enough of a disadvantage to be really frustrating and I wish we could remove it without putting newcomers at a disadvantage that I think is unfair.

-Blue-

Smash Journeyman
wow the many sonic mainers will come to my crews home and try to outplace me hahaha this is something to enjoy as the competition gets tough.

btw, hiiiiiiiii everyone ^_^

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Hey Blue, long time no see.

To answer infzy's small wot, nope I don't think about tripping at all when I play. In fact, my game is heavily centered on Sonic's ground movement(foxtrotting,Dash dancing, pivots) etc

When it happens to my opponent, I do what I can to capitalize on it. When it happens to me, I do what I can to minimize to avoid a hit. But unless Me or the opponent is actually in the act of tripping,it doesn't even come to mind.

I highly doubt I'm going to be able to get to this. The gas station I was looking to find work for kept the people they had hired immediatly before I sent them my application so I'm still doing odd jobs for not much money =/

random side note: why don't my paragraphs indent? The spaces I put there show up when I modify the post put the actual thing there's nothing >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom