• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sounds like Sonic got exactly what he needed for this Smash.

Megaman and Pacman get all the hype. Meanwhile Sonic cozies himself up with his tools all the way up in the Top 10.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm so hyped about Sonic!

I think he's the one I'm using immediately for my first online match. Because I trust my Brawl skills with him the most.
Then there's Samus... but my hands are more trigger-happy for Sonic.

I have this urge to go back and boot a Sonic Adventure 1+2 marathon... And maybe then, I'd play Unleashed+Colors+Generations too.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You can short hop SDJ? ****, I just want this game already... I can't keep reading about it anymore :(

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
It really sucks that the competitive scene will start out with all the pros having a month of extra practice ahead of the rest of us

and that TOs are already making up their minds about stages that noone has ever actually tried to play on competitively

meh

can't wait :)

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Recorded some online matches with Sonic against a good Yoshi I met on random. Mained him in Brawl/PM and trying to get a feel for him in this game

Dash attack looks extremely useful!
U air ko'd at 88%!
Sonic is definitely competitively viable.
:sonic::4sonic:HORRAY FOR SONIC!

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Everyone is excited right now, but there's a ton of characters in this game and everyone thinks their main is viable right now. Way too early to tell. Especially when the real version (wii u) isn't even out yet.

Misinko

Smash Cadet
"Real version"? What makes the 3DS port any less "real" than the Wii U port? That's like calling Watch Dogs on the PC the "real version" of the game. The only real difference between the games is the stages, and amash run, everything else is the same.

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Watch Dogs isn't a competitive game. Smash is. It's mainly the control scheme. I think it's safe to assume most aren't really playing to the competitive level they're used to, because they're stuck playing with the control scheme on the 3ds. When you watch tournaments being played for street fighter and such, it's not done on the 3ds. It won't be any different for smash. The game can be competitive, but it's never going to keep up with the console version in the competitive scene.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If anything, it will have a different set-up or it could be a side-event when the console version is released.

There are stages which are unique between the two versions. And since a lot of people are not going to wait until the Winter (possibly '15) to get their fix on the new Smash, it isn't unfeasible that Smash Bros. for the 3DS will see some competitive merit.

Misinko

Smash Cadet
Watch Dogs isn't a competitive game. Smash is. It's mainly the control scheme. I think it's safe to assume most aren't really playing to the competitive level they're used to, because they're stuck playing with the control scheme on the 3ds. When you watch tournaments being played for street fighter and such, it's not done on the 3ds. It won't be any different for smash. The game can be competitive, but it's never going to keep up with the console version in the competitive scene.
It doesn't matter what the tournament scene says. The fact of the matter is that the 3DS version is no less the "real" version than the Wii U version. You completely missed the point of my reply, as well as my example.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
If anything, it will have a different set-up or it could be a side-event when the console version is released.

There are stages which are unique between the two versions. And since a lot of people are not going to wait until the Winter (possibly '15) to get their fix on the new Smash, it isn't unfeasible that Smash Bros. for the 3DS will see some competitive merit.
I never said the game couldn't be competitive. The Wii-U version will be where the main focus is though.

It doesn't matter what the tournament scene says. The fact of the matter is that the 3DS version is no less the "real" version than the Wii U version. You completely missed the point of my reply, as well as my example.
My point was that when the Wii U version drops, the focus is going to quickly shift to the Wii U version. Maybe the word "real" wasn't appropriate, but my statements are still valid. It's basically a holdover until the Wii U version drops. Then it will be held as side tournaments and a way to pass time. If you don't think the main focus will be on the Wii U version, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If someone can find a way to perform inputs with the same complexity and precision as the console version, then there will be a totally different discussion. But I'm with Phoenix on this as well. 3DS is just holding me over until Wii U where I can actually input everything exactly as I want. Perhaps more people will look into modding 3DS' and such to replicate a more articulate experience, which is very possible.

Last edited:

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
You don't see tournaments being played on the 3ds version of SF because they haven't updated the 3DS version since it came out 3 years ago. If they patched it, you can bet your ass there would be dudes running 3ds tourneys, like there were when that game came out.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I'm pretty sure tournaments are going to be held on the 3DS for various reasons. Easier for people to bring their own set up. Not too many cables running around outside of the 3DS charger. I know in NorCal we are planning to have a few 3DS tournaments.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Watching Cyber on ZeRo's stream and shofu's stream has rekindled my curiosity for this character. I happily admit to being wrong in my assertion a while ago. I dunno what it is but this character just looks so much cooler and slicker than he did in Brawl. There's just a lot more style and strength to everything he's doing. It may partially be down to how Smash 4 is in general compared to Brawl though. Whilst Sonic still has his crazy gimmicks, he's fundamentally so much better now.

I'm hyped to play as this Sonic alongside PM Sonic. I've a need for speed in my life.

Cyberman6

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've loving Sonic in this game more than Brawl at the moment. I still feel like he'll have the same problems against bad matchups in the last game though.

The new HA range has made me use it so much more.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Watching Cyber on ZeRo's stream and shofu's stream has rekindled my curiosity for this character. I happily admit to being wrong in my assertion a while ago. I dunno what it is but this character just looks so much cooler and slicker than he did in Brawl. There's just a lot more style and strength to everything he's doing. It may partially be down to how Smash 4 is in general compared to Brawl though. Whilst Sonic still has his crazy gimmicks, he's fundamentally so much better now.

I'm hyped to play as this Sonic alongside PM Sonic. I've a need for speed in my life.
Glad to see your excited about sonic, hopefully i can help you and many others get used to the character. I've recently told Zipzo that i'd be helping him learn sonic once i get my copy of the game and i'm more than happy to help any others as well.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

Of course you're wrong. You're on the PM Dev team. :applejack:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
No one is good in this game yet, because no one has had any time to let characters interact. The game's been out for less than a damn week. Christ.
You guys are going to drive me insane. I'm literally going to drink myself into a coma because of things like this. :applejack:

Last edited:

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
Valid point. From playing him in the WiiU demo though I felt he seemed like an above average character at least. He's improved. Can you still grab him out of spring? I know spring can ledgesnap now so the issue isn't as big, but it'd still be good to know.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Valid point. From playing him in the WiiU demo though I felt he seemed like an above average character at least. He's improved. Can you still grab him out of spring? I know spring can ledgesnap now so the issue isn't as big, but it'd still be good to know.
You don't need to worry about that I think, Sonic's #2 spring will let him bounce twice at the cost of half the height.

All right so...

Side B #2: Large hop, if the opponent is hit by Sonic on the way down, they are stunned just like with DK's over B.
Side B #3: No hop, sonic does pull back slightly during charging, has a fire effect, can hit multiple times while on the ground. I think it hits slightly for less for my stun?

Spin charge # 2: The short hop lights the opponent on fire. Can be canceled into ground moves. Lights them on fire if he bounces into them.
Spn charge #3: Has a pull effect. Big one too

Neutral B #3: Homing attack with a much faster charge time. Lower arc meaning grounded opponents are hit more easily but aerial ones are harder to hit. Seems like a combo ender.
Neutral B #2: No video yet

Up B #2: Two springs instead of 1, for half the height.
Up B #3: NO idea no video. I don't have a 3DS! 8D

Figured I would post it since I haven't see anyone post about it.
I think his #2 Spin dash will be preferred over the other ones. You can combo with it, and if you land the hop, you get a grounded effect on them guaranteeing a forward smash at higher percents.

I'd personally go with the second spin charge since it instantly cancels into anything.

Edit: how will I get frame data? Maybe some tools will appear.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
definitely will be running the 2nd spin charge. I believe the 3rd Homing attack are ones that go completely straight up or straight down, i'm not sure if it will meteor or not i only saw it on Zipzo's stream. The 3rd Up-B i believe is the only completely unknown custom move left for him. Although i feel like sonic's custom spin attacks have some more secrets that we don't obviously know due to not having the games ourselves to really dissect yet......Oct 3rd why you take so long to get here :(

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Side B #3: No hop, sonic does pull back slightly during charging, has a fire effect, can hit multiple times while on the ground. I think it hits slightly for less for my stun?

Spin charge # 2: The short hop lights the opponent on fire. Can be canceled into ground moves. Lights them on fire if he bounces into them.

Neutral B #3: Homing attack with a much faster charge time. Lower arc meaning grounded opponents are hit more easily but aerial ones are harder to hit. Seems like a combo ender.
Instantly thought of this. I've been waiting for this. Thank you Sakurai.

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I swear I saw sonic's third up special in a video. It's a spring jump with a hit box, but you can't act out of it as fast as normal.

Edit: On a side note, I doubt custom moves will even make it into tournaments. Expecting all systems to have the moves unlocked, plus the extra time it would take for people to change their move sets sounds like a giant headache.

On top of that, you have some characters with some extreme changes that either flat out make them a much better character, or change the matchup against them completely, adding further confusion to counter picks.

It all leads to me believing they're going to be left behind for casual play only. I'm sure early on, some tournaments will allow them, but I don't think it will last long. Smash ball 2.0

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Edit: On a side note, I doubt custom moves will even make it into tournaments. Expecting all systems to have the moves unlocked, plus the extra time it would take for people to change their move sets sounds like a giant headache.

On top of that, you have some characters with some extreme changes that either flat out make them a much better character, or change the matchup against them completely, adding further confusion to counter picks.

It all leads to me believing they're going to be left behind for casual play only. I'm sure early on, some tournaments will allow them, but I don't think it will last long. Smash ball 2.0
I'm on the other end of the opinion: I think it would add a bit more depth to the game and variety to go with it.

I'm currently unfamiliar with any other fighting game series that forces you to unlock content to get the full game. However, that hurdle doesn't stop smash from being played at a competitive level. Besides, the players still have to provide those set-ups anyways. So, in the time that they're going to be practicing to get better in preparation for the tournaments, they'll probably have unlocked everything they needed to have access to all the possible matchups they'll face by continuously playing. This includes characters and stages. Now, it's just a matter of the same characters with different specials.

... But perhaps I'm a bit biased in having played Hisoutensoku.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
One of Yoshi's UpB customs allows him to warp to a very high point above the level. You can stall with it. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
There will definitely be custom moves that get banned because some are truly just absurd, but perhaps they'll allow some to be illegal in moderation... But then I'm sure that will cause a whole different debate.

But it's easier just to ban them altogether.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Custom variations as a whole are most likely to be banned. I don't think Sonic necessarily has ban-worthy variations, but there are some variations far better in the sense they outright improve the character's specials. And a more buff character with the superior variations going against others that lack them, will get outclassed. Sounds like variations may get a Customs Tier List or something.
One of Yoshi's UpB customs allows him to warp to a very high point above the level. You can stall with it. :applejack:
And this eggsactly.:4yoshi:
For tournament-play allowing customs, this would definitely be ban-worthy.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think what people aren't realizing is that the majority of the custom moves were just to make them different for the sake of being different and to add more content... I don't think it's going to add this "depth", "variety", or "balance" that would be granted in a magical world of wonder.

I don't know how we can sit here looking at custom moves that have either fire or ice effects and think "this is what the metagame needs".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom