• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
So it looks like Sonic's dair is still his Brawl one instead of the Stomp

goddammit

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm fine with the dair because I always had fun repeatedly doing it on a spring

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
but you would be able to do that with the stomp

only it would be faster

and more annoying to other players

and it wouldn't fall off edges because you forgot to account for the fact that sonic moves forward

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
His dair in SSB always reminded me of Shadow's air attack in Sonic Battle (minus the initial mini air-jump). Yeah I would've preferred a stomp too, but since this move is a pretty big part of my fighting strategy, I really don't mind.

Would have liked a general buff in speed for attacks, though.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm pretty alright with dair, but I would've liked added spike potential. I don't like the idea of Sonic's dair being a straight down stomp move like Toon Link or G&W or something cuz those moves are dumb.

Honestly I'd just be cool with like less ball moves and more breakdance moves. I think both dsmash and usmash could be changed.

:093:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero

Tenguman

Smash Rookie
I've been stuck on Marvel for so long that I have a new found appreciation for dive kicks. I agree with Camalange, a lot of Sonic's moves lose utility because he's in a ball; there's less space he's taking up, thus, smaller hitboxes. They should take a good look at Duck King for some inspiration. For example: http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/duckking-a3.html / http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/duckking-a6.html
but can you combo from the divekick? thats what made divekicks in marvel/sf4 so good. also, corner pressure made them good, there is no actual corner in smash, so applying pressure is different.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
this is definitely a highlight now that I think about it. some of video games' biggest names, finally duking it out. it's a novelty, I guess, but it's a nice feeling to put advanced techniques, moveset changes, and update discussion aside and say "MARIO AND SONIC AND MEGAMAN ARE KILLING EACH OTHER AND ITS AWESOME"
The three platforming kings? In one game? (faints)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The stomp would behave pretty differently from the Links' dair tho :u
I said Toon Link. Link's is very different from TL or G&W. If they gave Sonic the stomp, I could see it working almost exactly like G&W's where it's a straight shot down (with some slight free movement from left to right) and hits, maybe with a little pushback. It most likely wouldn't have the "bounce" properties of TL but it probably wouldn't be as lagless as G&W's because omg Sonic's 2fast2cheap so he'd probably keep all the regular lag of his current dair if it's not autocanceled.

I've been stuck on Marvel for so long that I have a new found appreciation for dive kicks. I agree with Camalange, a lot of Sonic's moves lose utility because he's in a ball; there's less space he's taking up, thus, smaller hitboxes.
Especially with Usmash since it's a multihit move it's just garbage and easy to get out of. You have to keep them in it or catch them with like the last hitbox for it to actually kill.

but can you combo from the divekick? thats what made divekicks in marvel/sf4 so good. also, corner pressure made them good, there is no actual corner in smash, so applying pressure is different.
I think Sonic's angle on his dair makes it more versatile for edgeguarding as opposed to just a straight shot down since it covers more distance horizontally. It comes towards the corner of them instead of it just trying to directly hone in from above them which would make it stupidly forecasted and avoidable.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Oh right, you guys are new. Most of what I say is just me spouting brainclutter. That being said, Sonic's Dair isn't very useful outside of the aforementioned edgeguarding, getting him back down to the stage and occasionally bagging a vertical KO at high percents against overzealous opponents that pursue Sonic that close to the blast zone. The initial start-up sends opponents horizontally, while the rest sends them vertically.

God, Usmash is so bad. Personally, I think the only time it should be used is against opponents with RCO lag on their UpB, since it's virtually risk free. It sends them up and if they land on the stage without auto-canceling an aerial, Sonic gets a free Fsmash. As seen here at 1:32:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Wouldn't it be cool if, whenever his Neutral B makes him hit a wall/ceiling, he bounces off of it? I think that way it will prevent those douches you meet online from stalling the fight by going down the stage and spam the ****ing move.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh right, you guys are new.
Sonic boards will never be the same.

Wouldn't it be cool if, whenever his Neutral B makes him hit a wall/ceiling, he bounces off of it? I think that way it will prevent those douches you meet online from stalling the fight by going down the stage and spam the ****ing move.
I'm confused, since he does already bounce off of it. The only time he doesn't if he's coming down to the floor, he just lands and lags for like half a year. If anything, I like that in Project M they gave him flashier animations after he hits like in the newer Sonic titles. I hope they incorporate that in this game.

Also, the stalling thing has been known to be actually very unsafe for Sonic for a long time now. It's a homing attack, so it's only homing in on the enemy. If the opponent just gets out of the HA range, Sonic will plummet straight down to his death...

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm confused, since he does already bounce off of it. The only time he doesn't if he's coming down to the floor, he just lands and lags for like half a year. If anything, I like that in Project M they gave him flashier animations after he hits like in the newer Sonic titles. I hope they incorporate that in this game.

Also, the stalling thing has been known to be actually very unsafe for Sonic for a long time now. It's a homing attack, so it's only homing in on the enemy. If the opponent just gets out of the HA range, Sonic will plummet straight down to his death...
Well, I feel dumb now. Thanks for clearing that up. :p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Camalange and Excel, you guys are nuts.
I've never had anyone DI out of my usmash.

Usmash is never the best option, but it's never the worst either. It does decent damage and has mega high priority/invincibility on release, so it wins a ton of trades against other characters who are trying to land or recover. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well, I feel dumb now. Thanks for clearing that up. :p
Hey, don't sweat it. Now you know. You seem very new and these kind of things just become common knowledge after a while so if you're fresh to the game they may elude you.

Camalange and Excel, you guys are nuts.
I've never had anyone DI out of my usmash.

Usmash is never the best option, but it's never the worst either. It does decent damage and has mega high priority/invincibility on release, so it wins a ton of trades against other characters who are trying to land or recover. :applejack:

I was definitely exaggerating by calling it garbage, but yes, I agree that it's never the best (or worst lol) option. I've definitely had times out of like a hyphen smash or a dacus where it barely effects my opponent. If you don't catch them in it right it just knicks them and it's laughable. I guess if you only ever just do a dry point blank usmash they won't get out of it, but that still requires you to not just toss it out because it can be handled so easily.

Definitely has it's uses though, I give you that. I mix it in when trying to catch opponents landing on platforms and what have you.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
upsmash i mainly use on battlle field or smashville when they are on the edge of a platform just for the shield pressure and off chance they get sucked off the ledge into it or causes them to trip on the ledge for a free tech chase. Though i'll admit i wish he has the updraft kick from sonic battle instead for a quick hitting hyphen smash like falco. That and the axe kick for his forward aerial although his current one is amazing at shield pressure and just getting damage but spin dash accomplishes bith of those and does it better tbh. Nair needs just a bigger hitbox and more knockback to and quicker startup time. I've always been annoyed at how MK and Pikachu have stronger and quicker Nair's than sonic who is suppose to hit ppl while spinning in a ball.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Today's Brawl in the Family comic seems to show Sonic being jealous of Mega Man. I guess when you like to brag a lot, you're not very popular.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well, it's October 10th. It's officially been six years since Sonic was originally announced for Brawl. So happy that we already know he's in this game so we have at least another six years of Sonic in Smash and probably likely for as long as there are new Smash games now ^^

I must say that although I didn't cheer as huge as I did when he was a newcomer in Brawl. There's something special about Sonic being a Smash Bros. veteran now. Newcomers are cool and spice up a game. But Veterans are there as cornerstones. And I'm really glad that Sonic has come back to be one of those. Sonic's now an official part of Smash Bros even more so then he was in Brawl. That in itself is pure bliss for all of those who are both Smash Bros. and Sonic fans.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, it's October 10th. It's officially been six years since Sonic was originally announced for Brawl. So happy that we already know he's in this game so we have at least another six years of Sonic in Smash and probably likely for as long as there are new Smash games now ^^

I must say that although I didn't cheer as huge as I did when he was a newcomer in Brawl. There's something special about Sonic being a Smash Bros. veteran now. Newcomers are cool and spice up a game. But Veterans are there as cornerstones. And I'm really glad that Sonic has come back to be one of those. Sonic's now an official part of Smash Bros even more so then he was in Brawl. That in itself is pure bliss for all of those who are both Smash Bros. and Sonic fans.

Cheers to this!

BTW, it's weird how he got a video, but at the same time, it's not "official" enough to be on the site.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
So I was watching his trailer again and noticed how much knockback his attack have now. I know damage percentage will factor into this but it seems like they buffed his strength some.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Too soon to say that. Without percentages being visible to the audience, there's very little we can say about KO potential or damage output without just being completely blind-guessing. :applejack:

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
Since I'll be maining Sonic (And Megaman as well) Some more Damage Output would be nice

It would also be nice if they incorporated some of Sonic Lost World's Parkour moves into his moveset as well.

...Actually, that'd be freaking AWESOME. :awesome:

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
Since I'll be maining Sonic (And Megaman as well) Some more Damage Output would be nice

It would also be nice if they incorporated some of Sonic Lost World's Parkour moves into his moveset as well.

...Actually, that'd be freaking AWESOME. :awesome:
Yeah I was just going off what I saw in the trailer. It could totally be that mega man's and mario's damage were way up though. It does seem like some of his attack come out faster ( his upair ) and his moves link a little better.

Mari

Dat dodge, tho. :D

That dodge looks epic.

I don't care what Smashboards says, I'm maining him even if he still sucks this time around. Maybe not as much as Brawl, but still. :awesome:

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
Dat dodge, tho. :D

That dodge looks epic.

I don't care what Smashboards says, I'm maining him even if he still sucks this time around. Maybe not as much as Brawl, but still. :awesome:
I did like the air dodge too haha. I am still going to main him too, and I am really optimistic about Namco helping with the balancing so I am pretty sure he will be able to stand up there with the rest of the cast.

Mari

Make him broken, then! :laugh:

Eh, you're right. Maybe some tune down of the damage output would be alright...as long as they don't overdo it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
His damage output is fine because what he lacks to make up for his damage is his KO power.
He is perfectly fine where he's at. If he needs ANYTHING, maybe make him a tad heavier, and with a tad more KO power. :applejack:

Tsumiya

Smash Rookie
What was the main thing a good player would doo in order to KO in brawl? Im pretty terrible at smash bros compared to the regulars. I only ever try to hit with the back kick in the air when they are at high damage x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom