• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog thread

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just now, I appreciate the irony that the Year of Shadow doesn't fall on a 5x year anniversary of anything Shadow related, yet they're declaring this all because of him being added to a port of Sonic Generations.

Meanwhile, Nintendo has Peach take a more proactive role in the movie, has her fully playable in Wonder and a remake of Super Mario RPG, and gives her a starring role in Showtime. They didn't declare 2023-2024 the Year of Peach.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just now, I appreciate the irony that the Year of Shadow doesn't fall on a 5x year anniversary of anything Shadow related, yet they're declaring this all because of him being added to a port of Sonic Generations.

Meanwhile, Nintendo has Peach take a more proactive role in the movie, has her fully playable in Wonder and a remake of Super Mario RPG, and gives her a starring role in Showtime. They didn't declare 2023-2024 the Year of Peach.
well what you gotta remember about the "Year of Luigi" is that it was about letting the underdog have his time to shine. Peach isn't considered an underdog

Quillion

Smash Hero
well what you gotta remember about the "Year of Luigi" is that it was about letting the underdog have his time to shine. Peach isn't considered an underdog
I think being a damsel in distress most of the time is something of an underdog.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Anyway, if Peach can have a take 2 in having a starring role, Shadow should have one too.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If Peach can have take 2 in a starring role, maybe Amy could finally get one for herself?

Although I guess to be fair, Sonic doesn't really get much in the way of spinoffs for the sidekicks due to being a relatively smaller series in general, Tails Sky Patrol/Tails Adventure and Knuckles Chaotix are much smaller scale and older compared to stuff like Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's Island, and WarioWare that all have full series that get frequent updates. And Amy doesn't even have a game to herself, as far as my knowledge can recall.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Peach can have take 2 in a starring role, maybe Amy could finally get one for herself?

Although I guess to be fair, Sonic doesn't really get much in the way of spinoffs for the sidekicks due to being a relatively smaller series in general, Tails Sky Patrol/Tails Adventure and Knuckles Chaotix are much smaller scale and older compared to stuff like Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's Island, and WarioWare that all have full series that get frequent updates. And Amy doesn't even have a game to herself, as far as my knowledge can recall.
Honestly, I think developing all of the "alternate gameplay" styles in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 into their own games would be a fantastic avenue for Sonic spin-offs beyond generally good Mario spin-off clones.

Like Knuckles with his gliding would actually fit better in an open-level platformer than Sonic's attempt in Frontiers. Tails could summon an pilot vehicles in a shooter (they'll need to deal with his flight some way though). And Amy could be a stealth game protagonist based on her role in SA1.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think developing all of the "alternate gameplay" styles in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 into their own games would be a fantastic avenue for Sonic spin-offs beyond generally good Mario spin-off clones.

Like Knuckles with his gliding would actually fit better in an open-level platformer than Sonic's attempt in Frontiers. Tails could summon an pilot vehicles in a shooter (they'll need to deal with his flight some way though). And Amy could be a stealth game protagonist based on her role in SA1.
I would love that! I enjoyed the alternate playstyles of SA 1 and 2 more than most people. Honestly, I'd love for them to return in a mainline Sonic game. It feels like, while they were a little rough around the edges, they did a good job laying the foundation for how the playstyles could be going forward... and then didn't get iterated upon much. I suppose it was 06 that was to blame for that, but I really wish they had been given more chances.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would love that! I enjoyed the alternate playstyles of SA 1 and 2 more than most people. Honestly, I'd love for them to return in a mainline Sonic game. It feels like, while they were a little rough around the edges, they did a good job laying the foundation for how the playstyles could be going forward... and then didn't get iterated upon much. I suppose it was 06 that was to blame for that, but I really wish they had been given more chances.
The problem with them is that the game ends up feeling very unfocused with them present. They feel like 3-5 quarter-done concepts that are taking resources away from the main Sonic gameplay.

If I can say anything about Dream Team, I'd say that Hardlight managed to perfect how the other characters can act in a 3D Sonic game before Sonic Team ever could.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

Quillion

Smash Hero
If they're going to make another "open zone" Sonic game, I hope they somehow cut down on the "big open space" that plagues a lot of the open zones.

I know they kinda have to do it to give Sonic room to run around, but that's like if Mario Odyssey made every level like the Sand Kingdom (the weakest kingdom in the game because a lot of it is empty open space).

Top Bottom