• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Like that ****ed Dtilt and Ftilt.....

Well there's no WAY Sonic outranges ROBs Ftilt. Dtilt MAYBE. Both should stay out long enought to punish. Or at least shorthop and punish if you see it coming. They're pretty fast.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
ROB can't camp Sonic.
ROB can't gimp Sonic.

Sonic can juggle the crap out of ROB, he's ridiculously vunerable from underneath him. He's one of those big framed characters too that you can spam SH fairs at all day.
Then, Sonic can't gimp/kill ROB easily either.
45:55?

I can't contribute properly til later tonight, essays are ****** me atm.

Tenki

Smash Hero
N-airs are a pain to deal with if the ROB has good timing though.

Don't underestimate other characters' ability to camp Sonic. Camping isn't limited to projectiles.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
If he's so good at ground camping, go over his head, bait U-tilt/smash/taunt, drop a spring, and mess up his Camping. Then let the fight begin.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
ROBs a pretty cool guy, eh camps and roasts marshmallows with his lasers and doesn't afraid of anything.

ROBs range is like JUST enough that sideb's invincibility frames aren't necessarily going to get through when he's close range camping. If you can guarantee he won't laser or gyro you I like hyphen smash. ^_^

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
The worst is getting hit with his up-smash. The ultimate mindgame.

I mean, how the hell would you get hit by it. And yet, you eventually do get hit by it.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
What levels hinder ROB?

I'm thinking Pokemon Stadium 1 for some reason or another.

ROB was my first ever secondary <3 but he got boring, I still know some of his commonly used moves though :

Gyro's/Lahzors : Can be used safetly onstage against slow characters, and offstage safetly too against characters who are forced due stay onstage because of a risky/bad offstage game.

Spotdodge => Dsmash : Comes out RIDICULOUSLY fast from a spotdodge, not sure about frames exactly, but I'm pretty sure it comes out after like 3 or 4 frames :\ Groundwise, Sonic's only attack that can match the speed of that is his jab, which sucks. A SH fair seems a good way to combat this though.

F/Dtilt : Has some pretty broken range, used for spacing mostly. Renders characters with short ranged ground games practically useless.

Fair : Walls pretty well, very fast and spammable, pretty good offstage gimper against those with poor offstage capabilities.

Uair : Good damage racker. Don't be floating around above him.

Nair/Bair : A little on the slow side, but pretty adept killers since they can be used offstage pretty safetly.

I know I've mentioned like every move there, but still lol.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Seriously, is there anything you'd add to that common moves shizz?

But who cares? My sig, that's all that's important.
Infact, in place of the match-up chart we should just have a picture of that so it shows Sonic has an advantage against all characters (he's spinning to defend himself from all sides) apart from Captain Harkinian who he's neutral with because he has the balls to be in the same picture as him.
Take a looksee <3

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Americans can't stand the english flag, big deal. But, Roooy what you said was pretty common, you just need to add that you can trip out of his d-tilt

Tenki

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that D-smash isn't the only move done out of spotdodge.

ROB mains are aware that people will prepare for a D-smash out of spotdodge, and then that's when they get you.

:[
Where are the ROB mains?
:[

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
So I just played Stealth, he's got a good ROB.
The thing that killed me the most were SD's (I aaalways do that), but he killed me with N-air. Airdodge when you see him move, or just dont approach from below, it's pretty hard to see it. If you avoid it, you can easily punish it.

D-tilts were a big problem, they were so **** annoying to avoid. Best thing to do is shield ASAP and then shieldgrab him. Shieldgrabbing ROB out of moves is one of your main focuses.

ROB has the advantage on the ground, but Sonic has the clear advantage in the air. ROB can only N-air or F-air, the other 2 are fail options. F-air can set up a Wall of Pain. That got me a lot, but can be easily avoided with a spring.

Here's a few things that's worth mentioning. ROB's dash attack got me a lot, it's very annoying. Just Dash Attack/Hyphen Smash back at him.
Ftilt clanks with Gyroscope.
Keep moving to avoid a free lazarr.

EDIT: I recommend Smashville, it's the one I won on most :p

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Many robs will try to go for the spike on your recovery (i tried it) and youcan pretty much go right through it with uair. also dont hover close to rob too long, or we will eat you with our tillts.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Defenitely don't take R.O.B. to BF, it only makes his camping all the better...and maybe some other shizznit I can't think of...

For neutrals, it seems that Lylat Cruise is the best option, the tilting screws up his projectiles, and the tilting of the stage mgiht distort his auto-sweetspotting with the booster recovery. Not only that but killing also becomes much easier here with the blastzones so close to the stage.

For counterpicks, I wonder what would be the best option though...I'm thinking...Frigate Orpheon, Castle Siege, dear I say...Green Greens! What else...hmm...no, from the top of my head, those seem to be the best options. Frigate Orpheon kind of throws R.O.B. off his groove becauset he stage is small, one stage doesn't have the ledge, making R.O.B. all the more easier to gimp, and the second stage is...meh.

The first stage of Castle Siege is extremely small, no way Gyros/Lazahs will be too useable. The second stage stops gyros in place...too bad Lazohz still go through them...but anyway just don't let R.O.B. grab you here. Some things here can either encourage or disrupt camping. Moving on to the final stage, it's basically just a FD with a tilting stage. Green Greens(treet) is self-explanitory.

Roy's sig is too good.

Tenki

Smash Hero
B-air is good.

forward tackle, antilandinglagpunisher, save fuel when recovering, it's good.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Just don't be at R.O.B.'s ass when he does it, nothing Sonic has can hope to outrange it let alone trade hits with it.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I have never had any real problems with ROB.

The fact that he essentially has a giant blindspot underneath him when he's aerial, plus his lack of airdodging when Up Bing makes it easy for racking up damage and edge guarding.

ROB, while heavy, isn't axactly powerful, and Sonic ain't exactly light. Also, the nature of Sonic's recovery makes iot difficult for ROB to edgeguard him.

Also, his projectile lacks spammability, making a relatively easy approach.

I would, at best, put it at 60-40 advantage Sonic, at worst 45-55 advantage ROB.

Somewhere in that range.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I used to think this match-up was horrible.
But it's really not too bad. ROB boards have it as 60:40 their favour, despite having it as 55:45 before, but hey they need the extra good few match-ups somewhere so lets make it against the ****ty low tiers so no one will refute it eh fellas?

Edit : For the record, I actually agree lol. Though it's 40:60 at worst. I think 45:55 would be a more honest verdict.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I used to think this match-up was horrible.
But it's really not too bad. ROB boards have it as 60:40 their favour, despite having it as 55:45 before, but hey they need the extra good few match-ups somewhere so lets make it against the ****ty low tiers so no one will refute it eh fellas?
As one who gets **** every time I suggest Lucas does well against anyone in Mid tier or higher in the Lucas discussion, I know exactly what you mean.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I'd have to give the advantage to R.O.B. At least 55-45.. It's not too bad of a matchup, but we have to remember we're using Sonic here D:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
55:45 R.O.B. seems like a fair verdict...although the R.O.B.s are kind of lazy to read the whole thread...Tenki even gave a link to this thread after mine disappeared for whatever reason and still don't want to come here...but I suppose it cuts down on spam or something.

Anyway 60:40 is kind of pushing it but at least it will never be any worse than that. To me it seems like Sonic will never have the advantage because he has to sort of play in R.O.B.'s hands wather Sonic likes it or not because of the Gyros/lazers...pewpew.

Top Bottom