• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Personally I never really noticed that much of a difference in Marth's buffs. It's significant, but not to the levels of Ike or DK imo. Marth's results have only come from Mr. E, Airvault, and Pugwest (the latter two of which hasn't had that many notable reaults as of recent). But then again the smash wiki calls KiraFlax a "top smash 4 proffesional" despite not showing any notable results to justify it, so maybe I'm wrong on that, but I still stand that Marth is being overhyped, especially since results don't mean as much as people randomly feel like making them out to be (though before you say, yes, I know that they matter period).
Yeah, you might have a point. All i was saying is that the Buffs Marth received improved him because it fixed specific aspects that were troubling Marth when compared to other characters who got buffed but it did nothing to them i.e. Zelda (i think)

:135:

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4dhlag/the_spanish_smash_community_is_considering/

Bayonetta has been banned from Smash 4 tournaments in Spain.

UPDATE: Apparently it isn't official yet but it seems like it is going in this direction.

Thoughts? I'm completely fine with a ban until she gets inevitably nerfed. We probably won't be seeing a ban in the UK or the states anytime soon though, nor am I expecting or promoting one. She is definitely beatable, she isn't broken by any means but I see the problem being elsewhere.

Its no secret at this point she makes the game incredibly unfun, as a competitor I try my best to get around her but that doesn't nullify the fact she is extremely unbalanced with a risk/reward ratio that is completely out of whack, forcing her opponent to play extremely campy which is boring for players and viewers alike. If she actually had some kind of obvious weakness other top tiers have e.g Shiek has bad kill power, Cloud has a bad recovery, Rosa is mediocre without Luma, then there wouldn't be a problem and I'd just have to 'git gud'.

At the same time its only been two months, and players of Melee and Brawl are used to dealing with characters like Bayo. On top of this she has yet to get high rankings at nationals, which makes the ban rather controversial. Despite this, I still think its more beneficial to the game as a whole to temporarily ban her, seeing its very obvious that she is not fun to fight or watch for the majority of people, and for the scene to grow the game needs to be 'fun', that's what it is intended to be after all, if its not fun people are more likely to quit or just pick Bayo themselves, which is bad for the scene.

Its only really more of a problem at Spanish locals, but I still think that locals in smaller communities are important, as its where new players begin and they're an opportunity to make the scene bigger as a whole. If people of the community get turned off the game by Bayo at square 1... it won't look so good for the future.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Bummed I couldn't close the set against ESAM. Ah well.

So far I've taken rounds off of ESAM, ANTi, and Vinnie... My day will come eventually.

Next time I'll go even further.

:093:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Attended my first weekly Ranbat in the local scene a few days ago. Most notable player there was SmashSK who is one of the best players in Sweden at present but I ended up not crossing paths with him. Decided to go Sonic for old time's sake even though I'd spent the better year maining Peach and going with her to Beast 6. Even though it was a tiny 12 man tournament that time since Melee was much bigger I'm pretty happy placing 7th since I managed to beat one of this city's best players who was maining Sheik (a very good one despite the nerfs really making the matchup rather palpable). Got sent to Losers by a really good Wii Fit and eliminated by a Mario, who ironically was my first friend at the place and used to have a hard time going against my Peach. A lot for me to learn from those matchups.

It's funny actually, one of the things that made me a bit averse in practicing Sonic actively was that I had a hard time performing Spinshots, which I realized came down to my TV having higher latency than the monitors they used at the weeklies, as I managed to do spinshots there with total ease. Conversely though, I seemed to have a much easier time doing instant spindash jumps on my TV while I could barely do that at all on the monitors.

Either way it's pretty fun to use the character again. Still all over the place of who I like to play but I think I'll use Sonic more regularly.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
"Disappear" is so dramatic for a move lmao

:093:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I wish I knew how to mod smash 4; I would SO download that.

Also, I heard that there might be a new patch on Monday. Everyone should know what I'm gonna say:

#bringbackthebthrow

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It was supposed to replace the voice clip for "HAH" when he fsmashes, but for some reason it plays during other moves aswell. No idea how to fix it :/
Ah, okay. Yeah that sounds really confusing.

Wait, did you make this mod? If so, really awesome! Can you tell us how to do it? I'm actually really interested in possible doing a Young Link one one day.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416

Luig

Confused
I'm actually really close to being able to mod smash 4. I was using that guide too.
For some reason saltysd isn't working, so I sent my modded Sonic files over to someone else. They worked.

I made his dsmash do 14%, the knockback values of the front hit match the back hit's, his usmash has pre patch knockback, his fsmash does 1% more if angled up and 1% less angled down, and I was gonna make his dtaunt deal 15% if all hits connect

Furret24

Smash Master
I made his dsmash do 14%, the knockback values of the front hit match the back hit's, his usmash has pre patch knockback, his fsmash does 1% more if angled up and 1% less angled down, and I was gonna make his dtaunt deal 15% if all hits connect
Hmm, this sounds familiar. ;P
:162:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I wish I knew how to mod smash 4; I would SO download that.

Also, I heard that there might be a new patch on Monday. Everyone should know what I'm gonna say:

#bringbackthebthrow
We're getting another patch? ALREADY?
Must be an emergency nerf for bayonaise after all this talk about banning.
I heard someone call her that the other day, and now I can't get it out of my head.
- Corn(Corrin) and Bayonaise(Bayonnetta); The Food Market Update-
Something like that.

In all seriousness though, it probably is a nerf patch for her. I also have this sneaking suspicion of another set of nerfs for a few characters based off of what I have heard recently.

I doubt we'll be getting any buffs, but staying untouched in a patch might be worth it.
But uh, fixing an existing problem would be nice (Cough BSBS coughcough). Please?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Good luck! Takes a lot of trial and error.
Yeah. My goal is to one day make the demon child of Link and Cloud. (I'm talking about young link in case you don't understand)

I'm actually really close to being able to mod smash 4. I was using that guide too.
For some reason saltysd isn't working, so I sent my modded Sonic files over to someone else. They worked.

I like that last one with the dtaunt (makes me wish it was his actually dsmash). Though i'm curious why not #bringbackbthrow?

We're getting another patch? ALREADY?
Must be an emergency nerf for bayonaise after all this talk about banning.
I heard someone call her that the other day, and now I can't get it out of my head.
- Corn(Corrin) and Bayonaise(Bayonnetta); The Food Market Update-
Something like that.

In all seriousness though, it probably is a nerf patch for her. I also have this sneaking suspicion of another set of nerfs for a few characters based off of what I have heard recently.

I doubt we'll be getting any buffs, but staying untouched in a patch might be worth it.
But uh, fixing an existing problem would be nice (Cough BSBS coughcough). Please?
Exactly why I'm a bit iffy about it.

Though if i means nerfs for Mayo and buffs for some certain characters (:4feroy:), i won't complain

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
Imagine if we get some troll patch that's like

BAYONETTA NERFS:
- Dash attack does 0.5% less damage

SONIC NERFS:
- Bair no longer exists

ROSA BUFFS:
- Identical to 1.0.0 Rosa

Redbane

Smash Cadet
A new patch? I'm going to guess some nerfs to Rosaluma, Bayonetta, and maybe a slight buff to Shiek.
I hope we get as Sheik buf
Imagine if we get some troll patch that's like

BAYONETTA NERFS:
- Dash attack does 0.5% less damage

SONIC NERFS:
- Bair no longer exists

ROSA BUFFS:
- Identical to 1.0.0 Rosa
I would go on twitter and that stare at all the rage for about a year

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
why sheik buffs guys. We just knocked her off the #1 spot. And she's still the queen of frame data, a contender for top 3, and a great overall character.

Anyways whats this about a patch?

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
There is maintenance for Wii U and 3DS in half an hour, there is specific maintenance directed towards Splatoon and Pokken and there's also general maintenance, which may include Smash 4.

Now maintenance doesn't necessarily mean a patch, but we thought that before 1.1.5 came out so there is no confirmation on whether or not there's a patch, but the controversy around Bayo may mean there's a patch coming to nerf her.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I see, i dont have my hopes up too high but i'd like to see a nerf. She's not ban worthy in any way but she is a little too good for what she is.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
After fighting against several good Bayo players online, I think she does need a nerf to something.
The matches I had were all pretty evenly matched until the 0 - death setups. Even after being hit by them enough (And losing several matches from those kills alone), I could not find any consistent DI that got me out of the setups.
If the opposing player knows what they're doing, the fight can become one-sided very quickly.

However, outside of her 0-death combos, Bayo only so good of a character. I feel the nerf(s) she does get need to be done carefully.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
She needs something that hurts how low risk she is and how easy it is to 0 to death. I honestly don't have an issue with her having 0 to deaths but she has so many that its a little ridiculous. Personally i feel after her second up be she shouldnt be able to use aerials, or the up b on the ground should NOT go the regular height, or make her up b lose height on hit

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Has anyone here seen the new video on the Beefysmashdoods youtube channel? It covers quite a few of Bayo's weaknesses. They seem to still agree that her air combos are somewhat broken though.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I think the only nerf Bayonetta needs is to adjust the knockback angles of her Up-B and Side-B so that they can be DI'd more consistently, without killing their combo potential. Bayo could be much more interesting to play as and against if she had to work for her combos, like...everyone else in the roster.

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
Well, seeing we aren't getting a patch in the foreseeable future, I don't think now is the time to cry for nerfs. Bayo is an unbalanced character in terms of risk/reward and is certainly deserving of a nerf, however Sonic is one of the characters best equipped to deal with Bayo, so I think now is the time we have to give it our all to beat her before she dominates the scene. It is still early days for Bayo and players are still getting used to fighting as her and against her, so we can still abuse their inexperience seeing as our character has been in the game since day 1.

I'm actually ok with Witch Time being kinda busted since that's her main gimmick, but 0-deaths that are fairly simple to pull off need touching. I think Bayo is one of those characters you need to play against a lot to understand, because the way she functions is very different to the rest of the cast, she has a mediocre neutral but solid burst options in her down angled sideb, however her burst option is in the air so its nothing like we've ever seen before. But regardless, I have confidence that we Sonic mains can bring the witch down, if Sonic can survive being in terrible games then he can survive against Bayonetta.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
...if Sonic can survive being in terrible games then he can survive against Bayonetta.
Ooh, ouch, haha.
But I do agree with you for the most part. Especially after the ordeal with the Sonic vs Cloud MU going from a +1 for Sonic down to a +0 or even a -1 as Cloud players learned how to play as him. Its quite possible that we are still missing something that will comfortably even the playing field, but at almost 2 months out from the last DLC debut, I won't be holding my breath much.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
From what I can tell, if they just give less priority to her moves it would help a number of characters (particularly Swordsman)

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
This is an amazing Sonic theory, you guys should check it out :O

Top Bottom