• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh, so what, the game glitches out and thinks you are double jumping when you actually aren't?
Here are the order of events...

>Side-B
*A Spin Dash is born and is now sitting and charging*
>Release B
*Spin Dash is no longer charging and now enters the Spin Dash Hop phase*
>Press A
*Spin Dash is still in the air because of the hop, thus pressing A will make Sonic jump as he has not entered the Spin Dash Roll state, in which then pressing A would cause Spin Dash Jump to happen. Furthermore, since you released B, he's not in the charge state either, which is why pressing A doesn't make a Vertical Spin Jump happen.*

That's why the timing is important and why it makes sense in this sequence of events.

I hope that helps explain it.

:093:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Here are the order of events...

>Side-B
*A Spin Dash is born and is now sitting and charging*
>Release B
*Spin Dash is no longer charging and now enters the Spin Dash Hop phase*
>Press A
*Spin Dash is still in the air because of the hop, thus pressing A will make Sonic jump as he has not entered the Spin Dash Roll state, in which then pressing A would cause Spin Dash Jump to happen. Furthermore, since you released B, he's not in the charge state either, which is why pressing A doesn't make a Vertical Spin Jump happen.*

That's why the timing is important and why it makes sense in this sequence of events.

I hope that helps explain it.

Ah, that clears things up. Thank you. And I realised another mistake I made. With his DownB version, I was trying to do it on the ground, but like you said, it can only be done in the air. Thanks again for clearing things up Camalange :D.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ah, that clears things up. Thank you. And I realised another mistake I made. With his DownB version, I was trying to do it on the ground, but like you said, it can only be done in the air. Thanks again for clearing things up Camalange :D.
No problem.

It's what I do.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I came across some sonic named "Murp" on for glory a couple of days ago and he wrecked me.
I didn't know what to do, he was just putting endless amounts of pressure on me like he was running circles around me.
How do I play against this playstyle? BTW don't tell me fireball LOL

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
Is it possible to do spin charge spinshots on the 3ds? I can never seem to get it right.

Also, is there a reason to use spin charge spinshot over aerial spin dash spin shot?

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
Is it possible to do spin charge spinshots on the 3ds? I can never seem to get it right.

Also, is there a reason to use spin charge spinshot over aerial spin dash spin shot?
1° it's pretty easy, maybe your timing is a bit messed up
2° no, it's just a variation, so you have two ways to do it

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
How do I play against this playstyle? BTW don't tell me fireball LOL
Fireball is really good though.

Seriously, you force approach with Fireball and pressure at the same time. You can limit Spins and control the pace of neutral. Luigi's Nair breaks out of combos and he is a combo fiend himself. Only major advantage Sonic has against Luigi is edgeguarding.
1° it's pretty easy, maybe your timing is a bit messed up
Yes it is.
2° no, it's just a variation, so you have two ways to do it
Depends. Spin Charge gives you more aerial mobility while you're charging. Sometimes I'll use Down-B offstage to keep drifiting to the stage, but then cancel it into a Spinshot. Side-B stops you wherever you are in the air.

So basically, I prefer Down-B when I'm farther away and Side-B when I'm at the right distance to snap to the ledge.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
If we could combine all our mix-ups and tech skill sonic would be best character in game?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Fireball is really good though.

Seriously, you force approach with Fireball and pressure at the same time. You can limit Spins and control the pace of neutral. Luigi's Nair breaks out of combos and he is a combo fiend himself. Only major advantage Sonic has against Luigi is edgeguarding.
The reason why I'm saying don't tell me fireball is because my opponent was consistently finding ways to get to me before I could throw one out, and if I did, he'd usually go over it.
I know what the fireball can do in this match up.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well ****, the copy of Sonic Riders I purchased was a defective disc. Now I REALLY hope there's a vintage game store in the area I'm moving to for next year in college.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I just bought that for PS2 recently. Still can't find my Wii copy of Free Riders though. :C My gamestop has ps2 games right now for 10 for 10. Try that or flea markets?
That doesn't help my case very much. I don't have a PS2, and I don't find games at flea markets often.

This is EXACTLY why they need to release GameCube titles for Wii U Virtual Console already.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Watched JT5565's :4sonic: on stream. I liked what I saw. Learned a few things like that you can cross up bair through someone's shield when they're shielding at the edge, go through them, and be offstage to end the bair and do another action immediately.

:018:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Watched JT5565's :4sonic: on stream. I liked what I saw. Learned a few things like that you can cross up bair through someone's shield when they're shielding at the edge, go through them, and be offstage to end the bair and do another action immediately.

Interesting. Where can I watch this?

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I'm honestly surprised that no one here has mentioned ZeRo's informal tier list, given his relatively high placement of Sonic. Do we have a vendetta against him or something? =/

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Say no more. We'll sweep this topic under the rug and pretend it never came up. ;)

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:4sonic: is definitely still high or even top tier. I think pre-patch he was the 3rd best in the game behind :4sheik: and :4diddy:. I don't even know where to accurately put him anymore, but anywhere from 6th to 10th seems reasonable.
Interesting. Where can I watch this?

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/5353759

Watch around 27:00 to find the start of the set vs Gimr. While I don't like him throwing out a billion Fsmash's, I liked his option select and found it interesting you can bair through someone to go offstage and then do an action after. Any mixup is nice.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
:4sonic: is definitely still high or even top tier. I think pre-patch he was the 3rd best in the game behind :4sheik: and :4diddy:. I don't even know where to accurately put him anymore, but anywhere from 6th to 10th seems reasonable.
I don't know if I agree that he was once third best, but what's past is past and I can agree with the latter.

I don't think it was unreasonable that ZeRo put him at 8th. I would put Sonic around 9th or 10th myself with where the metagame currently is.
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/5353759

Watch around 27:00 to find the start of the set vs Gimr. While I don't like him throwing out a billion Fsmash's, I liked his option select and found it interesting you can bair through someone to go offstage and then do an action after. Any mixup is nice.

Cool, thanks! I'll be sure to watch.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The Sonic guides Camalange made was pretty good. Too bad about the moronic comments made under the article. Ah well, you know trolls.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The Sonic guides Camalange made was pretty good. Too bad about the moronic comments made under the article. Ah well, you know trolls.
Thanks. The positives are outweighing the negatives, as the reception on Twitter and the video itself has been very welcoming.

It's just a shame so many users are bad at this game and are butthurt. There's no helping it, I guess.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Just watched you Video's Camalange. Very cool and useful. Hopefully they will improve my Sonic game.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
But the Instant Spin Dash is incredibly impractical and too difficult. :applejack:

@Seagull: You probably should. :3

Edit: Saw the vod Joe. GIMR is really bad at this game. :applejack:
The offstage bairs are a bad trade too. You're sacrificing all of your stage control for a tiny bit of shield damage. Works against Gdub because he struggles to punish Sonic on the level of characters like Fox, Sheik, and Mario. :applejack:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
ISDJ is actually not that difficult. And very practical.

B-Reversing it on the other hand... Not worth the pain.

Top Bottom