• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
There's a few things I'd like to see Sonic tackle but I'm afraid the community would be too cruel for accepting the new. Lots of fans aren't too keen on that kind of thing. Maybe its the way the new is executed, kinda surprised most still just want Sonic being 2D.
Well I'm sure we all want Sonic to race in the Indy 500 but knowing the fanbase they'll probably whine about how it's the Indy 500 and not the Indy 501.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't mind the experimenting and whatnot.... As long as they still leave some room for the traditional experience.
Just knowing that SONIC BOOM got a chance before a return to the Classic universe was enough to drive me away from the series.

I'm now eagerly waiting to see what SEGA has up their sleeve.
My unrealistic expectations:
-Sonic Generations 2
-Classic Sonic subfranchise announcement + game.
-Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) for Android by Taxman + Stealth.

I admit I would buy Sonic Adventure 3 if it ever happened, even though I wasn't too fond of SA2 (but SA1 is one of my faves)
And I'd love to see a new Sonic fighting game. Or another on-foot racing game.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
I feel like Sonic has been doing too much experimenting. Everytime he experiments it creates a different type of gameplay that leave the fans confused on what's to come in the series. Do we ask for a traditional 2D game (but even with Sonic 4, they didn't even get it right) a new adventure type series that was killed because 06, the Boost system (which I'll be honest, it's my favorite out of the 3D games, and I'm a Genesis fan) or the new Lost World parkour type. There's just too much to choose from and no matter which one they choose, they are going to shoot themselves in the foot because someone isn't going to be pleased.

I think they should combine Colors/Unleashed boost with Lost World platforming. Best of both imo

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I have Sonic 4 and everything but what exactly have they done to make it "not right"? Or the game fans were expecting? Episode 2 was a little better wasn't it? I didn't really bother getting it because I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it. I heard some didn't like it because the homing attack was in the game.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
IMO the pyshics are a ****ing mess, you can literally get up slopes with no effort at all but in the classics it was all momentum based.

And holy **** the number of boost pads is unnecessary, it feels like im not bring rewarded for my speed at all.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Sonic 2 tried to fix some of the issues but imo it just felt the exact same with a dumb tag mechanic tacked on. So still bad to me but I can see why other preferred it.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I see. It looked and felt a little better. I played the demo but that's it, it was ok but I didn't think I would be able to get into it so I never bought it. I might eventually though, just to own it alongside the first.

Ok, so I'm watching these Lost World cutscenes and I'm wondering....why was Tails such a douche in this game? Why was Eggman so dark? "I'll destroy everything you love and make you watch!", saying he was going to eat their hearts, like man, relax Doc XD

It's just kinda weird seeing him be so threatening again. Haven't seen it since Adventure and Adventure 2. Didn't really seem to fit considering how playful, colorful and cheery the game looked.

Last edited:

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I feel like Sonic has been doing too much experimenting. Everytime he experiments it creates a different type of gameplay that leave the fans confused on what's to come in the series. Do we ask for a traditional 2D game (but even with Sonic 4, they didn't even get it right) a new adventure type series that was killed because 06, the Boost system (which I'll be honest, it's my favorite out of the 3D games, and I'm a Genesis fan) or the new Lost World parkour type. There's just too much to choose from and no matter which one they choose, they are going to shoot themselves in the foot because someone isn't going to be pleased.

I think they should combine Colors/Unleashed boost with Lost World platforming. Best of both imo
I feel like Lost world isnt so much its own playstyle as much as just revisiting controls of Adventure and tacking on parkour. It feels a little too similar to tag it as its own "unique" playstyle,

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Oh Abadango made another tier list, 1.1.3. Am I the only one who thinks Villager can outplay Sanic? But then again Sonic is like the 3rd best character in Japan so eh, from what I've seen before he was 2nd behind Sheik until I recently seen him be placed behind ZSS.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I see. It looked and felt a little better. I played the demo but that's it, it was ok but I didn't think I would be able to get into it so I never bought it. I might eventually though, just to own it alongside the first.
I've played episode II and I liked it. I also appreciated how they made Tails actually useful as a partner rather than a visual effect like in the Genesis games.
Oh Abadango made another tier list. Am I the only one who thinks Villager can outplay Sanic? But Sonic is like the 3rd best character in Japan so eh. Just thought it'd be an interesting post.
I know that Japan and america have different opinions on tiers, but I feel that Sonic, Robin, and G&W are too high and that Roy, WFT, Pikachu, Fox, ROB, and Kirby are too low, but then again the metagame is different in Japan than it is in America. Also, imo Puff is the worst character.

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I've played episode II and I liked it. I also appreciated how they made Tails actually useful as a partner rather than a visual effect like in the Genesis games.
He was pretty useful in 3. Had my cousin be Tails so he could get me across gaps and take out bosses without me having to lift a finger. Good times.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
He was pretty useful in 3. Had my cousin be Tails so he could get me across gaps and take out bosses without me having to lift a finger. Good times.
I know Tails could still do things in the Genesis games, but since I always played the games by myself, I never found Tails to be more than just a visual character who would die in the most ridiculous ways.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi people,

Sonic fan right here. I've been a Sonic fan since I started high-school, and loved him since then. My favorite game is Sonic Generations so far from what I played. I haven't played all the main titles, but I would like to. So hype to buy Sonic 2 on eShop, but I don't have the money right now and I want to buy Bayonetta first. So 2016, I wonder what game they might pull off for Sonic's 25th Anniversary...

I'm looking forward to meet all you Sonic fans...XD (I'm new to the Sonic boards)! EDIT: I main him along with Mario, because I love his reward and he feels so GOOD to play him. When you play Sonic, you can feel the power...XD

Last edited:

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
Hey there guys. Thought I'd introduce myself here. I'm a Robin main in Smash 4 but only recently decided to start labbing Sonic as a secondary, maybe main if I get really into it (though my love for Fire Emblem is high). Funny thing is Sonic the Hedgehog is my legit favourite game series of all time (used to speedrun the originals online a long time ago via the mega collection for gamecube and just generally loved the crap out of all the games until after sonic heroes).

I didn't really play smash competitively until recently, so Smash 4 is the only real game I play in the Smash series and even that I came in late. I only play Robin because I played Robin for fun when Smash 4 first came out and just continued that on when I started getting into it again recently. Robin is my main and I love him/her but after a couple of tournaments I've decided if I'm going to learn another character it would be Sonic because of my equal love for the character and game series.

Well that's pretty much it really, I'm labbing Sonic recently together with Robin so just thought I'd let the Sonic social know at least. I'll try to be active on this social as well as the Robin one. Feel free to hit me up if you're willing to help me out with Sonic specific techs and stuff. (My main problem in Smash 4 is my fundamentals anyway, but just playing more will hopefully help me out with that).

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Oh Abadango made another tier list, 1.1.3. Am I the only one who thinks Villager can outplay Sanic? But then again Sonic is like the 3rd best character in Japan so eh, from what I've seen before he was 2nd behind Sheik until I recently seen him be placed behind ZSS.
That tier list looks very inaccurate to me.
Roy in D?
Mewtwo better than Greninja, Ness, Pac-man, etc.?
Meta Knight in top 3?
Cloud top tier? We barely even got him.
I'm no expert on tiers, but I'm pretty sure the tier list isn't supposed to look like that.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Roy in D?
Meta Knight in top 3?
I'm no expert on tiers, but I'm pretty sure the tier list isn't supposed to look like that.
It's Japanese based. The list differs greatly between countries. This one in particular was made by one of the top Japanese players, most characters we see as higher don't usually have much representatives in Japan. Cloud has been placing pretty high in tourney over there so I'm guessing that's why Abadango placed him that high. It's nothing official anyway so yeah lol.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Roy in D?
Meta Knight in top 3?
I hate it when people repeat other people, but in this case I might as well say what has already been said in that Japan and America have different metagames and preferences. I've created a tier list of my own:
nji.PNG

Although this is my current opinion, some things may change on here and overall I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this (I'm tempted to move Cloud higher, but we need more representation to prove it). This is just to show you how opinions in America differ from Japan.

Though about Cloud being top tier according to Abadango, he's caused a number of upsets by Komorikiri and Tweek and overall I can't stand fighting Cloud on AL since he's not only everywhere, but he's a character that I have no idea what to do. I wish that @CHOMPY would be a little faster with the MU boards so we can talk about what to do and what not to do about Cloud, but I digress.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I'm kinda glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Sonic is just below Mario lol. They can go toe to toe but I just feel Mario has better tools than Sonic for most situations and having a reliable projectile is a good counter tool when going against the blur, its still really close though but that's just me.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I'm kinda glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Sonic is just below Mario lol. They can go toe to toe but I just feel Mario has better tools than Sonic for most situations and having a reliable projectile is a good counter tool when going against the blur, its still really close though but that's just me.
Mario has better matchups overall and only really struggles against Rosaluma imo. That and he's one of the "good at everything to a degree" kind of character, similar to cloud.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Haven't been here a while. Time to catch up with Sonic Speed

1) Sonics nerfs. Ci suffering what has happen to him an where he is on the tier list, I thi k that Sonic is still an amazing character, tho the number of nerfs and the the type of nerfs he got are unfair when you compare humour bother characters (Shiek ZSS)

2) Sonic 25th anniversary. Either SA2 remake/ SA3 or Sonic Generations 2. If latter it will have Classic (with classic controls) Modern (with adventure controls) and Boom (with Boost controls)

3) Roy way too low in some of them an there is no way Robin is any lower than Link. He is a very good character.

I think that is just about it

Fhoo, I'm tired

:135:

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
I feel like Lost world isnt so much its own playstyle as much as just revisiting controls of Adventure and tacking on parkour. It feels a little too similar to tag it as its own "unique" playstyle,
True, I would like a sequel to Lost World, I really like lost world. But I do agree it does feel a little slow, even when doing the spin dash. A good blend of Colors and Lost World would be fine with me. And I would like to see the settings be a little more realistic rather then overly cartoony, like Unleashed's set pieces and levels.

Also give me my Chao Gardens back, with online Chao races and karate tournaments.

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
the number of nerfs and the the type of nerfs he got are unfair when you compare humour bother characters (Shiek ZSS)
:135:
That look after your character has been nerfed for no reason lol.

And I also did a thing.

Oh god, finally. Forcing the werehog on us on those missions is unforgivable Sonic Team. Free at last.

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I still to this day have never finished PS3 Unleashed, the second I was told to go get more medals I just laughed and ejected the disc, never even looked at it again

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I beat it originally but my original PS3 got the yellow light of death so it died, I lost all my data and had to redo everything from scratch, though I assumed I never would because the werehog stages had to be redone. I just did everything over and got it over with. Wasn't too bad. My only issue was the werehog and Eggmanland.

Now I'm doing Generations next :3

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Generations was a fun 100% (aside from trying to get the no hit Time Eater run, like holy **** I felt like the conditions were so dumb) well...there was that ONE red ring in City Escape Act 2....**** that noise.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Do the red rings even do anything in generations? In Colors they let you go Super Sonic but what do they do in Generations? I'm pretty sure getting them all is a trophy.

Last edited:

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
Do the red rings even do anything in generations? In Colors they let you go Super Sonic but what do they do in Generations? I'm pretty sure getting them all is a trophy.
Red rings in generations I believe are for a trophy. You get super sonic another way, I can't remember how but I know I have it and it takes up 80% of the addons on you can have in your inventory. It's been too long since I played the game.

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
Same but I'm playing it right now lol. Strangely enough it doesn't feel as fast as Unleashed XD
Whaaaaaaaaa.....but unleashed was literally the slowest Sonic game I've ever played XD the freaking werewolf missions would take like 30 minutes a piece for me haha.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
The slowest? Have you never played Sonic 06? I'm not even sure I can QSS in this one XD

When talking about speed in Unleashed or actually...when referring to Unleashed period we don't discuss the Werehog, that's just ew. We only mean Sonic and his day time goodness lol. Though my opinion has changed since I got the acceleration ability, I forgot about the customization and all such in this game. It's been years since I last played, I don't even have my oringal save file. Gah. Starting from scratch sucks :'(

Last edited:

SporadicCaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
SporadicCaos
3DS FC
3797-6762-8963
When talking about speed in Unleashed or actually...when referring to Unleashed period we don't discuss the Werehog, that's just ew. We only mean Sonic and his day time goodness lol.
Were the Werehog stages really that bad? Unleashed is one of the only modern Sonic games I never got the chance to play.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Mario has better matchups overall and only really struggles against Rosaluma imo. That and he's one of the "good at everything to a degree" kind of character, similar to cloud.
I can agree with that, but yeah. I feel that now, Mario has more results than Sonic recently, but they are still pretty close in terms of diversity of tools. While I feel that Rosalina might be his worst, I think that Luigi might be another threat for him, but still not that bad due to his down-throw nerfs. Sorry if I'm randomly talking about Mario even if it's the Sonic boards we're talking about.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Please use the "Edit" feature to avoid double posts!
Were the Werehog stages really that bad? Unleashed is one of the only modern Sonic games I never got the chance to play.
Well, the Werehog stages are something that you will either like it or not. It really depends on your taste. Most Sonic fans will say that the Werehog stages suck, because it's slow and it doesn't feel Sonic-like and an unnecessary addition to Unleashed. I didn't play Unleashed enough to fully judge on what I think about the Werehog, but to me, he doesn't seem so bad...

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I didn't like it. I played the game to the fullest and I can say I didn't really enjoy it, it felt more like a chore to deal with. Doing the missions with the werehog made me feel like the entire idea overstayed its welcome, it felt as if they were trying to force the werehog onto you, thankfully the PS3/360 version is nothing like the Wii/PS2 version, where there was even more werehog than actually Sonic, which was a problem.

The werehog had too many issues I wasn't cool with. Not having a drop shadow to indicate where you were going to land was a really annoying thing to deal with to be honest. Cost me a lot of redo's and frustration. I'm soooo glad I'm done with it all, now that it's over I don't think I'll touch Unleashed again unless its for running through Jungle Joyride.

But that's just me, I'm sure there are people who like the werehog and everything it has to offer, but considering what Sonic is supposed to be, which is speed then I can't imagine anyone preferring the werehog over the marvelous daytime stages.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
The werehog had too many issues I wasn't cool with. Not having a drop shadow to indicate where you were going to land was a really annoying thing to deal with to be honest. Cost me a lot of redo's and frustration. I'm soooo glad I'm done with it all, now that it's over I don't think I'll touch Unleashed again unless its for running through Jungle Joyride.

But that's just me, I'm sure there are people who like the werehog and everything it has to offer, but considering what Sonic is supposed to be, which is speed then I can't imagine anyone preferring the werehog over the marvelous daytime stages.
So true. The platforming section with the Werehog sucks so much. I only have the Wii version, but after I played a few stages, I didn't like that version. However, when I played a bit of the PS3/XBOX 360 version, OMG...It feels better, but not my much...

Also, I think the only true reason why some Sonic fans want to go back to play Unleashed is either they like the full game and that they love it so much (which can happen and I understand it) or only because of the day-time stages such as Rooftop Run (not counting the last most obnoxious level in Sonic's history. CURSE YOU EGGMANLAND! UGH)

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
Im always going back to unleashed with a maxed out day sonic because he's simply fun. And for what its worth i play eggman land from time to time too, its still got some fun to be had once you've learned how to skip massive chunks of level.

I dont mind the werehog, i like the amount of combo options you have and its a nice change of pace when imworn out of day time sonic. But the issue with it is the drop shadow, and even then he has a shadow but its a proper shadow so it doesnt show where your dropping.

Top Bottom