• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Matchup Export #3: Captain Olimar

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
-In wake of the new tier list update, all matchup exports will be made in the corresponding order-​

Matchup Discussion #3 - Captain Olimar

Current Matchup Ratio: +2 :olimar:

Sonic Consensus: TBD

This thread will be used to compile all Matchup-relevant data, and to keep discussion of the matchup clear and concise. Please refrain from submitting a MU ratio only; try to elaborate on the MU so everyone can understand why the MU ratio is what it is.​

Match Up Summary and Key Points

Main Things to Watch For, and How to Fight It

Stage Picks, Stage Bans

Important Links

-------------------------------------------------

I personally don't think the Olimar MU is as difficult as others have claimed it to be, but then again, I haven't played an Olimar since Denti nearly a year ago. Maybe I need an Olimar to Usmash OoS to show me my folly.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Olimar has to Fsmash A LOT. Grab A LOT. Sonich as to get past these two moves. That is the MU. Don't let olimar bring sonic to BF or any other platform heavy stage if you can prevent it.

Also, don't touch Olimar's shield with anything that isn't perfectly safe, we can upsmash you out of shield for doing almost anything.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Step 1: Get past Fsmash and Pivot Grab
Step 2: Grab and Uthrow
Step 3: Camp landings and force an offstage game

+1.5/+2 :olimar:

Strikes and Bans: BF/Frigate/Halberd/Delfino/PS1
CPs: YI/FD/SV (if possible)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic doesn't mind any level vs. Olimar. BF, SV, doesn't really change the match up.
Just a character thing at this point. :applejack:

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Play safe, get olimar in the air if you can, dont spindash the whole game, don't get grabbed, get olimar offstage.

+2 or +1:olimar:

strike/ban: PS1, Delfino, BF, halberd, Lylat(maybe)
Cps: YI, FD, SV, Frigate(maybe)

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
100:0 Olimar's favor b/c you're too slow.

Dnyce

Smash Master
*sees everyone says oli just needs to fsmash and grab*

Looks like my input isn't needed, we all know where we stand, :]

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Get and keep Oli in the air and try to force him offstage. Its your best chance of winning.

Watch out for Oli's up/f-smash and really watch out for his grabs, they can grab u out of a spin pretty easily. Plus they're really fast and next to impossible to punish so yeah...don't get grabbed. Once ur in close do what ever it takes to get him airborne/offstage. Grab > Uthrow or Bthrow are your best bets. If u can get the lead then I say camp camp camp and make him come to u. The MU will go alot better for u the more patient u are. When he's offstage use f-air if he whistles, that should beat his SA. If he's below the ledge either b-air or drop springs on him, and edgehog him to his doom. If ur on the ledge just make sure not to get stage spiked by his tether tho cuz ya know...that would suck.

Ban: BF, Halberd
CP: FD, YI, Frigate, Rainbow, and maybe PS2

+2 :olimar: favor.

Play smart and stay as safe as possible and this MU will go alot better for u.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
grabs come out on like frame -5. you get grabbed before i even press the button. if you camp, oli will happily send his little soldiers to their doom by throwing them across the stage.

hold the ledge, prepare for the stagespike, meteor cancel it or w/e it's called, spring back onstage. oli is ****ed if his aerials can't reach you on the ledge.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Also, remember that all of Sonic's ball form attacks will kill any Pikmin latched on to u but Sonic's N-air would be the quickest and safest way to remove them.

Also, keep in mind that once u K.O. Olimar, when he comes down with his fresh stock he'll have no Pikmin so try to plant a spring under him b4 he hits the ground and punish accordingly.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
Hey guys let's ask Logic
:093:
-On the real, Sonic just needs to play it patient from across the stage. Nair off the pikmin. Look for an opening or force the olimar to make a mistake and then either instant dash attack through, get a hailmary dash shieldgrab, or ASCSC in. Olimar isn't the best equipped for dealing with ascsc mixups. If he gets grabbed, uthrow and bait his landing with a side b. If he whistles, shield cancel it and regrab. If he tries to attack, use the 6 invincibility frames on spindash to hit him out of the aerial, go into a uair and continue to juggle or bait more landings.
-As for killing, there are a few ways to go about it.
1. Bthrow offstage at mid-high % and go for the edge hug instantly. Even if he up b's and recovers onto the stage instead of trying to get the ledge, we can get a punish if we time it perfectly.
2. After an upthrow or bthrow offstage, stand near the edge of the stage and wait for him to land. Try to place it so that a dsmash will just barely reach the edge of the stage but also cover part of the side behind you that he's recovering onto. If he whistles, it can still hit him out of it if he doesn't whistle perfectly. Our dsmash hitbox actually lasts something rediculous (like 24 frames or so) and Oli's whistle super armor only lasts something like 15 or 16 frames iirc.
-Fsmash is actually fairly useless to kill olimar with.
I have a video vs. an Oli that i played the matchup really well in, I'll upload it soon.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Also, remember that all of Sonic's ball form attacks will kill any Pikmin latched on to u but Sonic's N-air would be the quickest and safest way to remove them.

Also, keep in mind that once u K.O. Olimar, when he comes down with his fresh stock he'll have no Pikmin so try to plant a spring under him b4 he hits the ground and punish accordingly.
what a **** move.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
First and foremost watch the freakin pikimin. That is standard vs Oli period. Depending on his line up certain options are more favorable. Think of it as soft determinism. Learn the clanking properties vs his attacks. Sonic's nair can go through even yellow usmash if done properly.

Wedge I would have to disagree with fsmash not being good to kill. It can be used in the same way as dsmash although dsmash is more amazing at covering Oli's landing and auto dodging whatever he puts out ( its an amazing tripguard anti air). Fsmash can be used to dodge the small range on his aerials and to punish ADs. Land camping is really the name of the game vs this character. use uair frame traps or even just run to the landing watch. In fact you are having trouble stringing attacks vs Oli you are messing up, because that isnt the hard part of the MU.

The difficult part is getting in. we have ASC which is nice but can lose to pivot grabs and nair. I usually tend to ASC with the intention of hitting the top of their shield so if they pivot grab i still hit them. side b is also really good for hoping over grabs/pivot grabs and getting oli airborne. The real threat we have is him utilizing those things with a fsmash. Fsmash controls a good amount of space which is why u need to be somewhat familiar with pikimins ranges. yellow fsmashes range beat even sh approaches so be aware of that. However use things like side b shield cancel to get in on fsmashes so if you are having trouble getting in opt for that to get safe dash ins.

One thing we do have in this MU is punishing the crap outta Oli for throwing pikimin. This is HUGE. Go look at Oli's frame data

Latch
Hits on: 9
Ends on: 25

at mid range Sonic can react to a grounded pikmin toss easily. Even worse is when he sh pikmin tosses due to us having the arguably best land camping tool in the game in spin charge. This is critical against Oli because he needs to know that he cant toss for free against us. we could even just run in and grab if need be due to our run speed. This makes these easier for us because now we can relax until we get in mid range where we can pressure. sh bair is good too for an approach as well.

I can not stress this enough; WATCH THE PIKMIN. It makes life a ton easier and allows you to be aware of safety zones. Also be patient; impatience is so costly vs oli as he has VERY strong strings that coupled with any type of pikmin latch can cost you ~ 50% or something stupid in an instant.

The only problem I have with this MU whether I play dabuz, Richbrown, or local Olis is gimping. It feels exceptionally hard to gimp Oli with Sonic and I hate going straight up with a character with such strong kill potential. If you get an oli to the ledge space yourself pass the ledge attack of course and try to occupy space with sh bair while you're watching their habits. Sometimes you can get an misspaced ledge drop uair with a fsmash or interrupt a ledge hop with a dtilt> edgehog.

Also recently I have been creating some setups with spring drops while attempting to edgeguard Oli forcing him to deal with a spring approximately by the time we have already landed with a good edgeguarding position. I have gotten some good edgehogs smashes and resets from this so I definitely think its something to be looked into. oh and our bthrow is so beast in setting this up and even in general in this MU so dont be afraid to deviate from uthrow in this scenario as it sets up a ton of good land camping options.

Oh and uhhh DA is KINDA GOOD and when I say kinda, I mean immensely so.

RUSH HIM DOWN. It should look combo video style once you get him airborne

me vs Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isbi-jtMXNI

Espy vs Denti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvu42xPABF4

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224450

Know your Pikmin.

know your frame traps and land camp options.

We also need to elaborate on what tilts we can use for spacing as due to the properties of oli's grab, you can do things like dtilting at the tip of his grab range and if he attempts to grab he will be hit by the dtilt as he pulls you in. This is definitely something to be aware when fighting Oli.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Wait... did someone just post? I really hope someone didn't just post =_= cause like.... we were so solid on what the MU was... and I was like "nothing to do here"... and everyone was happy... **************************************************... why.......

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I always liked taking Olimar to BF. Maybe it's just me, but I always felt like it gave me more options to approach. That, and it makes it a lot easier to keep Olimar above you. Last time I checked, that was a good thing.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I always liked taking Olimars to Delfino, but that could just be a personal preference more than anything else. Still, I think the terrain on Delfino produces more Blue Pikmin on average than any other Pikmin, so while you have a slightly larger grab range and more potent Fthrow and Bthrow kills (which kill around 145-160% with good DI, I believe) to work around, the problems with early Red and Purple kills and Yellow hitboxes are slightly diminished.

Beyond Pikmin Pluck percentages, Delfino's a large stage that Sonic can maneuver around, and the platforms on the moving....platform....are more spaced out than BFs, meaning there are wider openings to juggle Olimar around. Olimar has no walkoff CGs at any percent to worry about, just be careful about getting close to Olimar near the blastzone when he has Blues on hand. And forcing Olimar into the deep water is good for resetting his Pikmin count if he has too many Reds and Yellows for your liking.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You guys probably won't like this at all, but I like BF and Delfino simply because the high platform makes it hard for Olimar to safely attack you. Hell if you get a stock lead, its not like Uair kills and its not even safe on hit.

I guess its not the best plan, but if I can force a battle that won't ever get me grabbed or upsmashed, I'm okay with that.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Actually there is something to discuss before this is done. Thats clanking properties. Iono if the Olimars have data on how it works, but that stuff would be VERY nice to have. While I do have an inkling on when it will happen, Im still not entirely sure when ASC will clanking with usmash. To me that is VERY huge as it would make nair utilt and aerials the only things that could really stop us from abusing ASC; things that happen to be VERY baitable due to our control on the release.

TBH I really dont know where this MU stands, sometimes its feels ridiculously free, even vs top level olimars ( and I definitely feel i know the MU beter than before) other times its an uphill battle. More recently though I have using a couple spring edgeguard tactics along with some HA stuff that has been making this far easier. While I would say its in Olimars favor now, I do believe that is going to change in time. I think it really comes down to understanding how clanking with olis grab and usmash can really make getting in on olimar far easier that it is for us now. And once you get in, its REALLY hard for Oli to get out provided you know whats up. So for now Im not even going to give a number. I will say BF is awesome as it makes olimar struggle with landing and we get more chances to poke with uair to reset the situation at the very least if we dont have a stronger/damaging option.

Top Bottom