• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic is so mean to Bowser!

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
XD even if you don't use them often it helps to be capable of using them when needed.

I prefer using the spinshot against...everyone. Its so much fun. Its like I am going to spindash you then *flies overhead* no im not!

>_>
I am weird I know.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I have to play Dias some more. I always see him in AiB's chat in the morning but I'm usually too tired from work to want to challenge people. I'm off tonight so maybe I'll try to get a match later.

wuut. he's always afk or something whenever I see him :[

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
With my new experience against Sonic, a good way for a Bowser to take on sonic is to roleplay as the "Mantis" meaning Defensive play. Sonic usually approaches with Down-B, Side-B, or the running. Wait for him to come, and when he tries doing the combos from those attacks, try to counter him. It's better to study ur opponent and the way he comes to you and how he attacks before you make the counter attack.
You can play the offensive game if u want, but it may be a bit harder against smarter hedgehogs.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
wuut. he's always afk or something whenever I see him :[
I private message players who ask for a game and they have to be near my area. I don't like brawling in lag (but who does?)

I'm always on AiB but I rarely speak out and ask for a game. I dont think their much of a point to do so since their are always players asking for a match. All I have to do is private message them saying I'll brawl them. ;)

If I see you online when I'm at my computer I'll ask you for a game.

nejiattack

Smash Rookie
Use tilts and his u/d smash they are quick. His backair is strong. Also when he does that sideways b type move he can either go up or straight so don't use fire.
Don't do useless dodges, you could get punished.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I private message players who ask for a game and they have to be near my area. I don't like brawling in lag (but who does?)

I'm always on AiB but I rarely speak out and ask for a game. I dont think their much of a point to do so since their are always players asking for a match. All I have to do is private message them saying I'll brawl them. ;)

If I see you online when I'm at my computer I'll ask you for a game.
Do you keep an eye on the chat? I always assume you'll just miss it. In fact last night I said. HEY DIAS! ARE YOU THERE?

No answer. T_T

Bufu_Man

Smash Ace
offline it is much much more easier... its just because sonic and MK become godtier online because of the slight delay and u cant really block/ dodge alot of their fast skils correctly. i could tell there was some hella lag because you forestress waaay to late alot of the times.

Tenki

Smash Hero
offline it is much much more easier... its just because sonic and MK become godtier online because of the slight delay and u cant really block/ dodge alot of their fast skils correctly. i could tell there was some hella lag because you forestress waaay to late alot of the times.
So, online, apparently, it's supposed to be easier for a low priority character like Sonic to do a proper grab-punishment game, or followup spindashes with proper combos, or powershield and dodge high priority attacks and perform feints (since online tends to be like playing in 2/3 speed in training mode)

Anyway, Dias plays online quite a bit, so I don't believe your lagjohns are very effective here.

edit/reply to ROOOOY!'s next post:
Spindashes hit more often online because there are people who still don't know to hold shield after attacks/during landings when they're playing online. `.`;

Spindash IS a projectile online, as far as laggy people are concerned.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Since when is Sonic good online?
He suffers one of the worst IMO.
He has no spammy kill moves to spam. No high priority kill moves to spam. No projectiles to spam.
Spamitty spam spam.
Bad argument.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Stop trying to keep up with sonic in the air. He'll **** you, hold your ground and wait for him to come to you. Bowser's ftilt stops everything. Wait til sonic comes close, or predict his next movement and have him run into a down smash. Use bowser slow.

_water

Smash Rookie
I think it comes down to perfect timing if you're going to beat sonic as bowser.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Use tilts and his u/d smash they are quick. His backair is strong. Also when he does that sideways b type move he can either go up or straight so don't use fire.
Don't do useless dodges, you could get punished.
Have you even played Brawl? Fire breath is by far one of Bowser's best moves. The Klaw and B'ciding is nice but wow. How long have you played this game for, and what kind of people do you play?

Backair is laggy, upsmash is predictable, I don't see Fair mentioned anywhere in your post... Wow.

Sorry though. Just need to avoid confusing people who take hints from this thread.

Dias, never give up, NEVER SURRENDER! Best piece of advice against a decent opponent. Sonic can't kill, and you're unkillable. Just punish. Punish, react, punish! Don't try aggressive stances.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Never give up!!!

WOOOOOO!! YEAH!!

but yeah to be honest Firebreath kinda sucks in a lot of situations. Charizard Firebreath is better I think but it does work against Sonic if you can get him in it.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
It's all about using everything Bowser has availible. Use his entire arsenal. His Bair, although laggy and flawed, does kill if you angle it right, and in desperate situations, it's sweet. But don't commit to it by any means. Very bad idea.

Fire breath, try SH'ing backwards when he tries to approach. Oh, and, this is for anyone: FEINT AND BAIT. The two best ways to beat someone as a Bowser is to feint and bait, not approach. Especially against Sonic.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
You need more Fairs. Like, a LOT more.

Sonic would start approaching, and you usually didn't put a hit box out in front of you. Of course he's going to hit you with something.

Try short hopping backwards when he approaches and throw a Fair in.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
You need more Fairs. Like, a LOT more.

Sonic would start approaching, and you usually didn't put a hit box out in front of you. Of course he's going to hit you with something.

Try short hopping backwards when he approaches and throw a Fair in.
trust me when I say fair isn't very favorable in this match up. Well at least using it in the way you think your talking about.

standard A and firebreath works the best (and of course Up B when you can)

watch my second video against that player

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
watch my second video against that player

No... don't... T_T

You might want to learn extra methods of dealing with Sonic btw. What you were doing was WORKING but I couldn't get spinshot to work effectively cause I suck at it. It would have let me leap RIGHT over the fire and bair you in the fire putaway lag.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Bowser used flame thrower!

Sonic used spinshot: Sonic vaults behind Bowser
Bowser: is resting
Sonic: uses Bair
Its super effective!
Bowser faints!

However you can make the firebreath more effective by palying on battlefield. I faced a bowser there recently and it gave me more trouble than normal ebcause the platforms would sometimes get in the way..
you still have to deal with Sonic's grabs, SH aerials and beware of baiting and being punished (he can still spinshot behind you its just not as effective and you're safer with more time to react)

DIAS i wanna play sometime.

SlitMyMemories

Smash Rookie
every bowser knows this but every single second that ur a stock up freakin bowsercide him,and jump with firebreath on his aproaches,works all the time with charizard =D goodluck

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
if it was wifi, input delay goes into sonic's favor but it's still a 40:60 match sonic's favor. Just space yourself against sonic with high ftilt, jabs, fortress, and sometimes pivot grabs. Mind games into overb are too good. If he jumps out of the grab you can do

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair

however if he ground releases you can

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Also I would suggest not playing against sonic on FD, battlefield and smashville are good stages for bowser.

All my grab release info is here
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193617

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I already know about grab releases with Bowser I just don't choose to use most of them. I don't want the whole match to come down to me just aiming to grab certain characters the whole match because of some annoying exploit.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
if it was wifi, input delay goes into sonic's favor but it's still a 40:60 match sonic's favor. Just space yourself against sonic with high ftilt, jabs, fortress, and sometimes pivot grabs. Mind games into overb are too good. If he jumps out of the grab you can do

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair

however if he ground releases you can

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Also I would suggest not playing against sonic on FD, battlefield and smashville are good stages for bowser.

All my grab release info is here
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193617
Why does everyone presume Sonic's better online?
He really isn't. I can't ASC combo or space or punish anywhere near as well as I can online then offline, which is a problem because they're like the most important things of Sonic lol.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Why does everyone presume Sonic's better online?
He really isn't. I can't ASC combo or space or punish anywhere near as well as I can online then offline, which is a problem because they're like the most important things of Sonic lol.
Because his overall movement is MUCH harder to punish online.

I already know about grab releases with Bowser I just don't choose to use most of them. I don't want the whole match to come down to me just aiming to grab certain characters the whole match because of some annoying exploit.
Thats fine and all but if you do get the grab you should take advantage of bowser's grab releases, otherwise your limiting yourself.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Because his overall movement is MUCH harder to punish online.
Except his overall agility is worse and the timing of his moves is more difficult so he actually does much more poorly online.
just because he moves fast doesn't mean much if he has issues doing what actually brings out his strengths.

Thats fine and all but if you do get the grab you should take advantage of bowser's grab releases, otherwise your limiting yourself.
This speaks truth.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I have no idea if this is going to be useful at all as I never got to play against any really good Sonics, but once they'd get into rolling at me a lot an f-smash would often catch them full in the face and it outprioritizes any of the spins.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea if this is going to be useful at all as I never got to play against any really good Sonics, but once they'd get into rolling at me a lot an f-smash would often catch them full in the face and it outprioritizes any of the spins.
You must have great timing and prediction then. Whenever I do it about 99% of the time it misses. I usually don't go for a fsmash until he has to recovery back to the cliff and it depends how he's recovering.

Bowser's fsmash doesn't beat out any of Sonic's spin moves unless you time it just right.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
That, and we can jump cancel our spindash/charges.
And shield cancel the Spindash if we see a fsmash coming.
I don't think I've ever been hit like that, not even online, lol.

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
Bowser pretty much has to take a defensive postion lol XD, be careful of spindash feints and watnot XD also don`t leave urself open for 2 seconds otherwise ur screwed lol ^^

Top Bottom