• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
Pls help. I played some guy on Anther's today for 2 sets in a row and he kicked my ass. Normally when I lose I can point to something in particular I did wrong and improve but here I am at a loss. Would someone better than me mind taking a look for bad habits I have or opportunities I missed?

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I'm a :4sonic: main. I have been since day one and I'll always be one. However, I'm having some trouble with learning how to spin-shot. If I could learn this technique my Sonic would be even more deadly than it already is. I know Camalange Camalange has a video up about it. I'm still having some trouble. Someone help.. Please.

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
I'm a :4sonic: main. I have been since day one and I'll always be one. However, I'm having some trouble with learning how to spin-shot. If I could learn this technique my Sonic would be even more deadly than it already is. I know Camalange Camalange has a video up about it. I'm still having some trouble. Someone help.. Please.
While in the air, press down b and then flick up on the c-stick. You need to still have your double jump to do this since the spinshot counts as a jump. I think you might need to have the c-stick set to attack for it to work.

There is also a way to do a grounded spinshot but I don't remember how to do it since I never use it.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
While in the air, press down b and then flick up on the c-stick. You need to still have your double jump to do this since the spinshot counts as a jump. I think you might need to have the c-stick set to attack for it to work.

There is also a way to do a grounded spinshot but I don't remember how to do it since I never use it.
Everything you could possibly need to know about executing Spinshot are in my video and in the OP of the thread, where the video can also be found.

Everything else just comes down to individual practice.

:093:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000

I don't really want to change up my controls.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Hope it helps.

I just have to try and master the spin-shot. I also need help Spiking with Sonic. I do not know where which part of his shoe spikes. I heard many things that it was the tip of his shoe and it's the first few start up frames I confused with trying to pull it off. Spin-Shot and Spiking are like the two things I can't do with him lol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I just have to try and master the spin-shot. I also need help Spiking with Sonic. I do not know where which part of his shoe spikes. I heard many things that it was the tip of his shoe and it's the first few start up frames I confused with trying to pull it off. Spin-Shot and Spiking are like the two things I can't do with him lol
You can get a good visual of the Dair spike as well as set-ups here.

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
You can get a good visual of the Dair spike as well as set-ups here.

Are you still planning to make the sonic movement video? i have learned about stuff like the screeching stop on my own but I'm sure there is a lot I still don't know. If not, do you know of any good guides for it that were done for Brawl?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Are you still planning to make the sonic movement video? i have learned about stuff like the screeching stop on my own but I'm sure there is a lot I still don't know. If not, do you know of any good guides for it that were done for Brawl?
Yeah, but I don't have an ETA on it, unfortunately.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Online Warrior checking in, I started as a hardcore Link main. Starting to slowly become a fan of Sonic. What's your guy's general gameplan with him? I try to rush-down as much as possible and tend to spam Spin Dash into HA. I am fairly decent, any tips? I watch footage of 6WX and try to emulate that as best I can.

Last edited:

Groudon_sama

Smash Rookie
NNID
BigMo98
3DS FC
2552-1642-2026
Pls help. I played some guy on Anther's today for 2 sets in a row and he kicked my ***. Normally when I lose I can point to something in particular I did wrong and improve but here I am at a loss. Would someone better than me mind taking a look for bad habits I have or opportunities I missed?

I'd say that you're a bit too defensive with shield and he's taking advantage of your defensive play. Cloud punishes hard and it's hard not to play defensive against him when limit break is activated, so my advice would be to sorta learn from how he reacts to your approaches, especially since it looked like you rely on spin dash quite a lot. Try to mix it up with a bit of aggression, maybe try empty hops and look for shield habits, and punish with a grab etc.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does anyone know when the invincibility ends during Sonic's Forward-B hop (either in terms of frames or at what part of the hop)? I remember that Brawl's Forward-B stopped when he started moving downward, but I'm not sure if it's the same (especially since it's a faster/different animation now).

This isn't listed on the Kurogane Hammer website, and I can't read the data dumps on Master Core well enough to find the numbers there.

EDIT: Just tested in Training Mode against Mac's Frame 1 Jab. It still appears to end at the apex of the hop; he's vulnerable on Frame 6 of release.

Last edited:

spiNR

Smash Rookie
NNID
spiNR17
What do you guys generally practice when it comes to movement? I feel like my play has stagnated the last couple of months and feel like I can be better with my movement. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say.

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
I'd say that you're a bit too defensive with shield and he's taking advantage of your defensive play. Cloud punishes hard and it's hard not to play defensive against him when limit break is activated, so my advice would be to sorta learn from how he reacts to your approaches, especially since it looked like you rely on spin dash quite a lot. Try to mix it up with a bit of aggression, maybe try empty hops and look for shield habits, and punish with a grab etc.
Thanks, I've actually come to the same conclusion the past few days. Definitely need to put on pressure more so that they don't feel so comfortable just doing whatever they want.

What do you guys generally practice when it comes to movement? I feel like my play has stagnated the last couple of months and feel like I can be better with my movement. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say.
One of my favorite movement things with sonic are running back and forth with the screeching stop, which is the one where he slides on his heels and stops. I think you do it by letting the stick return to neutral (as opposed to directly turning in the opposite direction) while running. It might not be the most efficient but I think it's pretty good since you can dash in the other direction pretty quickly after doing it.

Also this isn't really "movement", strictly, but

I would also make sure you can spinshot with basically 100% consistency since it's such a fast aerial movement option. Also I haven't really applied them much in real matches yet but I like to practice ISDJs and b-reverse ISDJs, since they seem to be a very good option for edgeguarding when they try to recover high since it gets you out there quickly and with a double jump. Also if you b-reverse it you can bair them instead of fair. I've noticed 6WX has started doing it a lot.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Guys,

I just want to know something real quick. Because the Brawl Sonic forums is dead, I wanted to ask this. I know it's not too related to Smash 4, but is Sonic considered to be viable back in Brawl? I personally think he is. What do you guys think?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dash dancing, dash dance pivots, perfect pivots, turnarounds, Spin Dash Shield Cancels, etc. solo in training mode on various levels until I feel completely comfortable performing them and in different layouts.
Guys,

I just want to know something real quick. Because the Brawl Sonic forums is dead, I wanted to ask this. I know it's not too related to Smash 4, but is Sonic considered to be viable back in Brawl? I personally think he is. What do you guys think?
I think he's one of if not the best mid-tier character.

With that said, I don't think he can win at the very pinnacle of the metagame, but he can come very close.

There are no hard counters for Sonic, and only a select handful of characters who come close to a 70:30 match-up. He's one of the few characters who only goes 60/40 with MK outside of the top tiers and he has other decent match-ups as well.

A secondary would be wise.

Or you can be like me who solo mained him.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I think he's one of if not the best mid-tier character.

With that said, I don't think he can win at the very pinnacle of the metagame, but he can come very close.

There are no hard counters for Sonic, and only a select handful of characters who come close to a 70:30 match-ups. He's one of the few characters who only goes 60/40 with MK outside of the top tiers and he has other decent match-ups as well.

A secondary would be wise.

Or you can be like me who solo mained him.

I was thinking of being loyal to Sonic (since I feel I have good results with him and can compete in the entire series along with Marth), so that's why I asked this question. Since I don't really care about Brawl too much, I won't have too much of a problem solo maining Sonic. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Mesmerist

Smash Rookie
Hey all. So, I have a friend who plays Rosaluma, and every time I go in for a grab or a spin dash (from either side), she rolls out of the way and she's in shield before I can deal damage to her. As Sonic, how do I deal with excessively defensive/evasive/roll-heavy players?

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Vs. Meta Knight?
There is this Sonic main that always beats me.
What are his strengths and problems against me? And how do I counter?

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I suck at ISDJ. What are some practice methods? I already can do a spinshot consistently but I can only pull off an ISDJ like 10% of the time. In the mean time, I just resort to using its lazy version (doing it from spin charge)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You don't manually cancel it, it cancels automatically when it is performed from a certain height.
:196:

Sonic Meaper

Smash Cadet
NNID
None
3DS FC
2294-7045-5918
Switch FC
8435-0200-1637
Hello guys i main sonic since the day i got smash bros 4. I have 3ds and doesnt have WIIU. Anyways do you guys know how to perform B reversed instant spin dash jump. I cant perform it consistently. I was able to do it 10% of the time. I always do normal instant spin dash jump but facing the opposite way i was flying. If i was able to do it consistently, i might create combos using it. and update it in my second guide. Another thing is do you know how to add pressure on opponents? And can you list different playstyle for sonic? I think they are edge guard focusing, rack damage in the air, bait and punish, something like that. How do you get yourself in instead of using spin dash to force way through? How do you work on timing to punish very small window of punish? It's hard. Some of these are advices from my friend that i battled yesterday to find oout my bad habits

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Hey all. So, I have a friend who plays Rosaluma, and every time I go in for a grab or a spin dash (from either side), she rolls out of the way and she's in shield before I can deal damage to her. As Sonic, how do I deal with excessively defensive/evasive/roll-heavy players?
For excessively defensive players, you have to get that first hit/lead. Once you have the lead, the opponent is forced to approach. If the player relies on defense, then just react accordingly and let their stock unravel.

If you're falling behind in a match against a defensive player, just take your time and try to find holes in their defense. Sonic's speed can get him in and out. If you can get in, hit, and get out, slowly but surely tacking on damage while not getting hit, you can retain control of the match.

As for excessive rolls, you have to learn how to read the rolls, and even how to bait the rolls. Most of the rolls in this game are ridiculously fast, so the best bet for punishing rolls is jab. It may not seem like much until the opponent realizes that every time they roll they take about 8% damage, and that will add up quickly once you learn how a player rolls. Some roll and attack, some attack and roll, some roll once, some twice. It's individual, but I personally like to use quick options like down tilt to see how a player rolls if they're a roll absuer

when would you use spin charge over spin dash?
I personally Spin Charge more than Spin Dash because I play 2D Sonic games, and down B feels much more natural to me.

That said, I use Spin Charge (down+B) when the attack is super laggy, because I feel like in general you can get more damage from a spin charge than a spin dash (I could be wrong here).

Spin Dash has an approximately 6 frame invincible hop, which is great for countering landing opponents, point blank prjectiles, projectiles shot for quite a distance but have laggy recovery, and can crush many attacks.

Additionally, Spin Charge slows down more against a shield than Spin Dash does... just a random tidbit.

How do you cancel out the down A? I see people doing it and being able to so a move right when sonic lands
If you are higher than the height of a jump and a spring, you can down A and land without lag. There's no video on it because it's a fairly easy thing to understand, and we've been doing it since Brawl. Just take some time in training and practice with jump and spring to see that free lag landing for yourself. You'll figure it out in no time.

Do understand, however, that even though it allows Sonic to land without lag, it's still a predictable movement that's easy to react to.

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
Hey guys, so I found out a perfect combo tech for sonic. At mid-high to high percents (depending on weight class), you can a perfect combo, nair > bair on the ground. At mid-high percents (50-100% depending on weight class) you cross them up with a fresh nair then immediately short hop bair them. At higher percents (+100 % again depending on weight class), you need to hit them late with the nair or with it stale. With the correct speed it is inescapeable, and will kill on the edge of the stage and sometimes from the center if they have a ton of damage. Of course, your opponent can DI, but it's very hard to get out of since they are only safe DIing away (and sonic's bair has very good range so you are very likely to get a sourspot hit at least).

I haven't tested it on all characters, but works on most characters so far.

Last edited:

Brickyoyo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brickyoyo
Hey guys, so I found out a perfect combo tech for sonic. At mid-high to high percents (depending on weight class), you can a perfect combo, nair > bair on the ground. At mid-high percents (50-100% depending on weight class) you cross them up with a fresh nair then immediately short hop bair them. At higher percents (+100 % again depending on weight class), you need to hit them late with the nair or with it stale. With the correct speed it is inescapeable, and will kill on the edge of the stage and sometimes from the center if they have a ton of damage. Of course, your opponent can DI, but it's very hard to get out of since they are only safe DIing away (and sonic's bair has very good range so you are very likely to get a sourspot hit at least).

This sounds interesting, could you perhaps get a video? Will be trying this tonight. Thanks. :4sonic::4sonic::4sonic:

Sonic Meaper

Smash Cadet
NNID
None
3DS FC
2294-7045-5918
Switch FC
8435-0200-1637
Please use the "Edit" feature to avoid double posts!

Tried it and it works :) tnx i'll use it on high percent opponents

moderator sorry my bad i'll be more careful next time

Last edited:

Brickyoyo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brickyoyo
I can't post a video unless someone wants to be an experiment. But it works. Trust me
Okay. No worries.
Hey guys i wan to check and confirm this. What if you can use homing attack only if opponent are in a desperate situation to recover back onstage. For example ness would be a perfect character to use homing attack since he stop himself in the air when using pk thunder and can't airdodge or move so that's your best chance to recover and spring up.
Wow. Never even thought of that. Just make sure you won't hit the thunder.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I killed someone with a falling Nair > Jump Bair in tournament. They immediately asked if it was a true combo, and I was like, yup, lol. It's pretty specific, but incredibly satisfying.

HA sounds really unsafe to challenge Ness' PKT with. He still has a slight hitboxes around him, and HA is weak/unreliable as hell. I'd rather dropzone Bair or Spring him.

Brickyoyo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brickyoyo
I killed someone with a falling Nair > Jump Bair in tournament. They immediately asked if it was a true combo, and I was like, yup, lol. It's pretty specific, but incredibly satisfying.

HA sounds really unsafe to challenge Ness' PKT with. He still has a slight hitboxes around him, and HA is weak/unreliable as hell. I'd rather dropzone Bair or Spring him.

Yeah, I usually spring him

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys. I was a :4sonic: main back in the very early meta game (we're talking 3DS Day 1 early), and I mained him up until he got his back throw knockback nerfed. I took a long break playing as Sonic until recently, when my duo of :4megaman: and :4kirby: couldn't really take some match ups like :4mario: and :4sheik:. Since I played him during the early days, I figured I'd pick him back up again, and I forgot how much fun it was to play as Sonic. I know a lot of people hate him both in Smash and in the video game community, but since Sonic can handle some match ups my duo can't (not to mention me being a pretty big Sonic fan), I let him back into my roster as my main secondary.
With that story out of the way, what's a good way to keep Sonic from becoming predictable? I still have that problem.

Top Bottom