• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
I literally skimmed that section, but i know it's due to how many jumps you use. If you jump once, you'll be able to jump out of the dash and recover. But if you've jumped twice, you won't be able to spring to cancel out of the dash. It's total BS, you should at least be able to Spring out of it no matter what. I mean, it's not like you can even use specials while in helpless.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Cam, we should totally adopt VSJ and VSDJ instead of VSDJ and VSDJ2.

The new patch clearly shows us that VSJ is the same for both moves: both the SD and SC versions deal 3%, whereas SDJ and SCJ deal 3% and 6%, respectively.
I agree.

So, "VSDJ/VSCJ" are now just "VSJ" while "VSDJ2" becomes the 'new' "VSDJ"?
That's like a dream come true, actually. It's like what I always wanted.

Beautiful.
Check the beginning of the thread.
I love when people learn so quickly~
Been using Sonic for awhile now, I still can't wrap my head around this: What determines whether Sonic can jump out of a Spin Dash? (Side-B and Down-B) Often times I find myself using my Dashes, falling off the edge to fake out my opponent, and dying cause my jump is somehow gone.
I literally skimmed that section, but i know it's due to how many jumps you use. If you jump once, you'll be able to jump out of the dash and recover. But if you've jumped twice, you won't be able to spring to cancel out of the dash. It's total BS, you should at least be able to Spring out of it no matter what. I mean, it's not like you can even use specials while in helpless.
The BS thing about BSBS is that you can initiate it without actually ever having used your double jump.

That's the true BS.

:093:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
The BS is the reason I don't generally run Sonic in high-stakes matches. I die a little each time it happens.

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
The funny thing about BSBS after star up form a 2° jump with ASD/ASC is that you need to roll to de edge like...3 times in stage and after that you recovery your 2° jump...
Can really get off with the spring? because I can't :/

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
You can only use Spring out of a SDJ/SCJ/VSJ.

If you roll off a ledge, you'll be in ASDR or ASC and neither can be Springed out of. You'll have to use a double jump before being able to do so.

Last edited:

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I believe I asked this question 3 sonic games ago but, what's everyone's opinion on using sonic's dash attack "spiking" property as a ledgesnap punish? I recall pulling it off a few times before with my most recent one on Mewtwo. I can't remember what was said about it. I can show a small clip of it if no one gets what the hell I'm saying. But since I'm at work, what you can do is look up my replay on wifi, where it was the game ending kill.

Search Sonic replays and look for a replay where the players are named Greg and Albert (I think it was a dark mewtwo) on omega guar plains.

EDIT: Here's a gif:

https://gfycat.com/SlimySharpCarpenterant

I don't think it's anything too amazing tbh, the Mewtwo probably could've DJ'd and teleported to survive, but god forbid you do this on someone like Mac.

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Does that really even count as a spike? It doesn't exactly send you straight down, it's more at an angle.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Kirino is best Oreimo.
On a tangent, Cam's apparently stealing my waifu now.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
That's pretty much why i put that word in quotations. I don't know how else to word it, really.

edit: you two also have **** taste in anime girls

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
1. It's a spike by technicality in certain situations.
2. It's ok, few understand the subtle charms of Kirino.

Last edited:

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
I believe I asked this question 3 sonic games ago but, what's everyone's opinion on using sonic's dash attack "spiking" property as a ledgesnap punish? I recall pulling it off a few times before with my most recent one on Mewtwo. I can't remember what was said about it. I can show a small clip of it if no one gets what the hell I'm saying. But since I'm at work, what you can do is look up my replay on wifi, where it was the game ending kill.

Search Sonic replays and look for a replay where the players are named Greg and Albert (I think it was a dark mewtwo) on omega guar plains.

I don't think it's anything too amazing tbh, the Mewtwo probably could've DJ'd and teleported to survive, but god forbid you do this on someone like Mac.
yeah it's fun to do, but only sends the enemy downwards if that kick hit the upper zone of the enemy or just the enemy is below that kick, otherwise (in front/above) the opponent will send upwards.
But you need to connect the last spin with that kick, sometimes when only the kick connect sends the opponent upwards :/

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
yeah it's fun to do, but only sends the enemy downwards if that kick hit the upper zone of the enemy or just the enemy is below that kick, otherwise (in front/above) the opponent will send upwards.
But you need to connect the last spin with that kick, sometimes when only the kick connect sends the opponent upwards :/
It's fun to do, but not reliable. Sonic's best suited for not worrying about spikes and keeping your opponent off the stage with a well timed Bair.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Do throws get a freshness bonus?

And can someone test sonic back throw KO percent on Mario? Wanna know the kill percent pretty please

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Do throws get a freshness bonus?

And can someone test sonic back throw KO percent on Mario? Wanna know the kill percent pretty please
I did some tests. It appears to be 191% from center stage on your run-of-the-mill omega stage. I don't think this is a very viable kill move unless your opponent is super bulky.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Appears to be 167% on the edge.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

Definitely good to know! Will catch people off guard, it's a fast option, and it sends people at a bad angle.

I wish we had a better name for pseudo-spikes, though.
On a tangent, Cam's apparently stealing my waifu now.
You're definitely new here.

This isn't my first Kirino avatar, bub.
edit: you two also have **** taste in anime girls
Plebeian.
2. It's ok, few understand the subtle charms of Kirino.
I like this guy.

Welcome to the Sonic boards.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Camaraderie at its finest. I feel welcome already.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Camaraderie at its finest. I feel welcome already.
Kirino-Kousaka-ore-no-imouto-ga-konna-ni-kawaii-wake-ga-nai-35169789-500-281.gif

I feel like there's a potential joke with Camalange and Camaraderie but I'm more concerned with posting this relevant Kirino gif.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Definitely good to know! Will catch people off guard, it's a fast option, and it sends people at a bad angle.

I wish we had a better name for pseudo-spikes, though.
You just knew this? I could've sworn more people knew about this because this was around since....the 3ds launch. lol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You just knew this? I could've sworn more people knew about this because this was around since....the 3ds launch. lol
I've definitely seen it before, but honestly haven't done it enough or thought about it. Good to be reminded.

It's like how when we discovered ISDJ, no one really talked about it much... Then a thread got made and we were like, oh yeah, this was really cool, we should do this.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
That dash attack "psedo spike" is good for those pesky ledge campers. Since they need to use their second jump to attack before grabbing the ledge again, a well-placed DA will push them far enough so they can't recover (character dependant, ofc).

Pretty sure it's described in the moveset thread as well, but no one reads those. :sonic:

Last edited:

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
I'm amazed at how so many Sonic's can do so well with aggression. It's never works for me :p

Screw it, I'm just gonna play reckless and see how it goes.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
To be fair, Sonic is like, the most pseudo-aggressive character.

Our shield pressure isn't amazing and our approaches are bad, so no matter how aggressive a Sonic looks, they're primarily just staying out of range, conditioning, and then just punishing the baits they set up for.

That's why a lot of people confuse him as rushdown, which isn't quite the case.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Maybe my problem is that I try to play sonic like he's an aggressive character. Because I find myself trying to fake people out by spin dashing a ton.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I saw someone earlier today on Twitter say that Fox is Sonic's worst MU. Even outside of Rosalina, I wouldn't really agree. What do you guys think?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Fox is hard. Not worst though, Luigi is harder. I find Peach harder than fox, but maybe that's just a personal issue. Interested to see people not like the Yoshi match up, feels even enough to me but I don't have enough experience to say it with much conviction.

For a supposed 'top whatever' character our matchups are pretty ****. Are we just more realistic than other character boards? I know the nature of the character leads us to not having very polarised matchups but Ive seen some character boards just claim advantages EVERYWHERE. Pretty sure I clocked Rosa boards (?) call a 70:30 on Ness with no discussion from the other side whatsoever lol. Obviously the bad matchups are going to come up more than the good because people need to work on those, I rarely see anyone steak a claim for an advantage.

:yeahboi:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Luigi is my worst nightmare when running Sonic.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
To be fair, Rosa is a BS character who straight up invalidates certain characters with her Down-B. She's an Anti-Zoner Zoner... And a puppet character to boot.

Case in point, the misery that was Abadango vs. Dabuz at Apex.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Sonic definitely has more bad MUs against top-tiers AND mid-tiers than any of the other top 10 or top 6 characters. So many uphill battles. Sometimes I wonder why he's even top tier.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
IMO he's a top tier because if you know what you're doing it can be easy to dodge stuff and fake people out.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
How to edgeguard greninja?
Nerf him. Nawbutrly just try to read his movements. If he goes for a shadow sneak, he's completely helpless. Try to get out there and in his face, but watch for his counter. Though I suppose if he does counter, there's a chance it'll force him out from the momentum.

Top Bottom