• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
How to edgeguard greninja?
Down throw to put them off the edge and run-off f-air sometimes works, same with dropping the spring (depending on the stage). Although whenever Greninjas use shadow sneak to recover, they won't sweet spot the ledge, so it's generally a free f-smash.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Down throw to put them off the edge and run-off f-air sometimes works, same with dropping the spring (depending on the stage). Although whenever Greninjas use shadow sneak to recover, they won't sweet spot the ledge, so it's generally a free f-smash.
Smack me real quick, I never thought to F-Smash after the Shadow sneak.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Alright, I just played an actual good Fox and now I'm singing a different tune, Fox is definitely a bad MU for Sonic. How am I even supposed to catch that thing in a spindash combo? I was only able to go 3-3 with him because of his strange habits...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Got the chance to play Dabuz today for some much needed Rosaluma practice.

I did surprisingly better than I expected? They were only friendlies, but I took 2 rounds off him and we probably played around 8, give or take. Pretty close all in all.

We benefit so much from HA not locking onto Luma anymore. Holy ****, wow. Makes it so much more tolerable you guys.

:093:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
I don't know anybody that mains Rosa, so I never get any practice in. That makes me concerned considering what I've heard about good Rosa players.

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina can be very annoying to play. Sometimes she feels a bit "untouchable" which is frustrating considering our play style but yeah now with the improved HA she can tell Luma to go back to the front all she wants!

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Rosalina can be very annoying to play. Sometimes she feels a bit "untouchable" which is frustrating considering our play style but yeah now with the improved HA she can tell Luma to go back to the front all she wants!
Can she call it back when it's falling to it's death?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I've seen people saying that Luma is "dumber" now, not reacting as quickly and/or goofing around a bit too much.

No idea if this is true, though.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Does Anyone know a good Secondary Main for sonic? I have done so much searching but I can't find one.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Does Anyone know a good Secondary Main for sonic? I have done so much searching but I can't find one.
Personally, I don't know if anyone else does this or recommends this, but I run Peach. But hey- that's just me.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't know if anyone else does this or recommends this, but I run Peach. But hey- that's just me.
I dont think I will use Peach, cause I just don't like her as a character and can't play as her.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Who else can you control well?
Well, I can control a lot, just that a few I can't.

Namely, Peach, Kigglypuff, any heavyweight, Little mac, mega man, Luigi, samus, olimar, and diddy(I know wierd). Kinda a long list. Also, Mr. Game and Watch

EDIT: List of people I can't control XD

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Have you considered running Captain falcon or Zero Suit Samus? (Assuming you don't lump that in with regular samus)

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
So that leaves like...FE characters, and spacies really. Can't see anyone like Marth helping with sonics bad matchups, which should really be the basis of choosing a second.

:yeahboi:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
So that leaves like...FE characters, and spacies really. Can't see anyone like Marth helping with sonics bad matchups, which should really be the basis of choosing a second.

Well, not really. What characters help with sonics bad matchups in general?

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282

Now more than ever though it might be hard to do that because Sonic's been falling in the tiers (From 6 to 11 in a day) and his bad match-ups have been growing.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Have you considered running Captain falcon or Zero Suit Samus? (Assuming you don't lump that in with regular samus)

I have considered running Zero Suit and Falcon, and I like both of them as a whole,. However, I don't see how they help sonic's bad matchups.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
I have considered running Zero Suit and Falcon, and I like both of them as a whole,. However, I don't see how they help sonic's bad matchups.
You're not giving us many options here. Most of the guys you listed could have been possible candidates.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Now more than ever though it might be hard to do that because Sonic's been falling in the tiers (From 6 to 11 in a day) and his bad match-ups have been growing.
There's a tier list? I wouldn't read too much into them, not that they matter anyway. I don't think the latest patch has made Sonic gain any more bad matchups though, just worsened some of the ones he already had. I'm probably not the best person to ask, I use sonic in bad matchups just to learn them better. That and none of my other pocket characters I would rely on when there's money on the line. Also cos Sonic doesn't have any matchups that are close to unwinnable.

Are you sure you can't play any heavies? Bowser and DK are fun in this game. I like swatting Luigi's with them too >=|

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Also cos Sonic doesn't have any matchups that are close to unwinnable.
I have a hard time with Ness most of the time, but I don't think that counts as unwinnable really.

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
So wait, what characters would help Sonic against ness? He was also a bit of a problem when I faced him.
Yoshi, sheik and Rosalina are Ness' worst match ups as of now.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
That's funny, many on the Ness boards cite Sonic as their hardest matchups lol. Can't say how many are FG scrubs though. I lurk a lot. I don't know his bad matchups in this game, I had a pocket Ness in melee and brawl and I just find him...boring now.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
OK I am gonna change my question a bit. WHAT CHARACTER IS A GOOD SECONDARY FOR SONIC?

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Ok, so Sonic's bad match ups right now are Ness and Pikachu, among the obvious Sheik and Rosalina. Countering Sheik and Rosalina is a pipe dream right now. Zero Suit appears to be good at countering Ness and Pikachu, so that's a good place to start. Sheik is a safe bet for anybody at this point.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I know Seagull Joe runs a good secondary Sheik to cover those bad MUs (which Sonic seems to have a lot of these days...) so maybe give Sheik a go. Defensive characters are basically going to be your worst MU against Sonic most of the time, so perhaps consider what characters you can easily penetrate defensive play with. Personally, I've been polishing my Falcon in the lab. I feel like Falcon has better chances against Sheik and Fox because his combos are generally grab oriented rather than spindash oriented. If you've ever tried to play Sonic against REALLY skilled high tiers, you know how difficult it can be to get any hits, much less a spindash combo. Sheik, Fox, Diddy, etc. rarely leave themselves too open, but you can catch them slipping with a grab.

EDIT: IMHO, Sonic/Pikachu is 40/60 in Pika's favor now that the backthrow has been nerfed for Sonic. Pika is another one of those quick characters that's hard to spindash and is generally too quick to get a smash attack on for the kill. Killing good players is too damn hard as Sonic now.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Ok, so Sonic's bad match ups right now are Ness and Pikachu, among the obvious Sheik and Rosalina. Countering Sheik and Rosalina is a pipe dream right now. Zero Suit appears to be good at countering Ness and Pikachu, so that's a good place to start. Sheik is a safe bet for anybody at this point.
Ok I will try ZSS. I could have sworn I read somewhere with counters for Rosa and Sheik, but i may just be imagining it

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't know anybody that mains Rosa, so I never get any practice in. That makes me concerned considering what I've heard about good Rosa players.
Likewise. I had only played against Rosa once or twice back in the game's release. Beat one, got wrecked by the other one despite feeling like the better player...
Yeah, I was pretty grateful to get the practice that I did because hey, who better to learn from?

If anything, landing against Rosaluma is hell. HA makes this a LITTLE more tolerable as you can try to bait a Usmash or Dash Attack, stall, then punish with HA. Other than that though, she covers so many options so effectively. Uair, Usmash, Dash Attack, Luma's entire existence, etc. really are terrifying if you're ever not touching the ground.

Even if you airdodge a Uair, they can try to bait that and let you fall under them and bop you with a Dair.

I felt the best thing was if they overcommit to Luma shenanigans, we can get past it with spins, Spinshot, and now even HA.
Also, Rosa can indefinitely do Luma's jab combo while she does other inputs (think similarly to how you can hold an item and Smash attack by holding "A" when you grab an item, then using C-stick and releasing "A" to get your Smash). Luma can be positioned right under the ledge, making it so that you can't sweetspot. Also, Luma's jab can kill, so it's just a little ridiculous.

Sonic's Uair is great at juggling her. Even Nair is good, as her Nair is good, but slow, so we can just weasel in and clip her with Nairs and confirm off that. Since her Fair has decent start-up too, outspacing and edgeguarding her with Bair isn't bad either.

Hardest thing about the MU is approaching and killing... As usual in every match-up, but it's particularly heightened in this one (which is why I don't like it).
I've seen people saying that Luma is "dumber" now, not reacting as quickly and/or goofing around a bit too much.

No idea if this is true, though.
I haven't heard this before. Sounds wrong.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Try Zero Suit if people are zoning you out. Its kind of a situation that youve gotta figure out yourself, because what I'm comfortable with, and what troubles me, may be very different to you. Maybe shulk too down to his versatility.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
I know Seagull Joe runs a good secondary Sheik to cover those bad MUs (which Sonic seems to have a lot of these days...) so maybe give Sheik a go.
Sheik's a safe bet no matter what, but I tend not to recommend her if only just to support the use of lower tier characters (Someone give Ike a hug)

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Ok, I think I will try this. I will try out all the characters you guys recomend and will see which 2(or 3) fit my style the best!

Sheik
ZSS
Falcon
Shulk

If I missed anyone, then just tell me

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Also, if anybody wants to know what tiers look like, you can find one here. Though I have to stress that this isn't final, and it's still being updated regularly. Also, this should make it easier to find a counter pick based on who your character has trouble with. Though everything is still based on skill. Just cuz Sheik is top at the moment doesn't mean an auto-win if you choose her.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
ew

event hubs

event hubs tier list

gross

don't recommend that un-ironically

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well what do you recommend then?
Right now? None. tbh

Most of the tier lists are pretty bad, and now with the patch, it's pretty hard to say. Plus, match-ups are so key in this game that just going by "____ is best" isn't helpful. Plus, I think there are very few characters right now who are like, not at all viable.

I think it's clear what like, a general top 10 and possibly even bottom 10 is, but it still feels like a bit of a toss-up.

Not only that, but there's the debacle of customs vs. no-customs, which changes things entirely.

Like, custom Mii Brawler is by far is one of the best characters in this game.

Top Bottom