• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There is nothing that I can add that Cam and KID have done an excellent job already conveying, but I absolutely need to stress the point that KID made, where you're essentially assuming the Sonic always chooses the perfect option, while their opponent is too braindead to think, "You know what, perhaps I should hit him out of his spins."

And yes, even at close range, that's an option. Every character (sans maybe Ganon) have a few select options that make dealing with spins a lot more manageable.

Sonic's spin can push Wario out of Bite, Cam, but in my experience, more often than not, Wario wins out. Even when he doesn't win, they're at a neutral, so Wario shouldn't even care.

To be honest, it all just sounds like Reflex never learned Sonic, which is a shame since he had 6 entire years to look into his mechanics. They're pretty much 1 for 1 on most ends. Ignoring his increased KO power, you could even argue that Brawl Sonic was better.

Mac has a frame one jab, Reflex. If the Mac just throws it out vs. Sonic, he either clanks (Mac adv), or wins (Mac adv). If Sonic is too close? Dash away. Mac is fast enough. If you're at the corner? You have a frame one jab, an upB with invincibility, and five moves, all relatively fast, that don't care about spin dash, 3 of which will KO Sonic if timed right.

Sonics aren't perfect. He moves too fast for even the Sonic to perfecty follow up or cover himself. He's going to make mistakes. KID said it himself, Sonic dies early and kills late. He needs to make far more mistakes to kill you than you need to kill him. If Sonics played like you are assuming, then Sonics would actually be winning tournaments.

All I ask is that you start considering that the Sonic player is human and not some frame-data reading robot bent on perfection that it already has. It makes everything so much easier. :applejack:

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Sonics aren't perfect. He moves too fast for even the Sonic to perfecty follow up or cover himself. He's going to make mistakes. KID said it himself, Sonic dies early and kills late. He needs to make far more mistakes to kill you than you need to kill him. If Sonics played like you are assuming, then Sonics would actually be winning tournaments.

All I ask is that you start considering that the Sonic player is human and not some frame-data reading robot bent on perfection that it already has. It makes everything so much easier. :applejack:
Exactly, play against the player and not the character.

Though imagine a frame data reading robot Sonic CPU...

Also @ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder have you looked up matches of Sonic vs Wario to see how warios handle the MU? I get the vibe that you're done with this thread but at the very least that can help you see ways to combat Sonic.

And out of curiosity what Sonic has been giving you trouble?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just gonna unsubscribe from this thread now. I don't need posts like the one above in a conversation meant to be thoughtful. Don't mind me.
I was being as patient and informative as I could be, but...
They gave you legitimate insight on how to deal with their own character and you push it aside and instead respond with theorycrafted scenarios in which you are always on the losing end no matter what (somehow).
I'm not sure what this conversation is supposed to be.

This is a Sonic Q&A thread.

You asked questions about the character, I answered. After that, it became this game of you throwing numbers and scenarios at me that result in you being correct in some world where, as Espy so perfectly put it...
but I absolutely need to stress the point that KID made, where you're essentially assuming the Sonic always chooses the perfect option, while their opponent is too braindead to think, "You know what, perhaps I should hit him out of his spins."

Sonics aren't perfect. He moves too fast for even the Sonic to reliably follow up. He's going to make mistakes. KID said it himself, Sonic dies early and kills late. He needs to make far more mistakes to kill you than you need to kill him.

This is what I didn't have the patience for at the time, because I couldn't justify giving a rational response to your Sonic and Falcon claim after staring at my screen for close to an hour, trying to decide if I should continue to be polite or be brutally honest with how I felt after reading it.
I never had an agenda; I just wanted to know how to overcome situation which the numbers suggest are skewed against specific types of characters. I'm glad that there was information to be had, but I also had to explain why the idea of "Chomp beats 90% of Sonic's moves" is incorrect in many cases, and showing how skewed neutral can be between characters with a large mobility disparity (again, as it has always been in Smash as the metagame progresses). I wasn't suggesting that your advice wasn't worthwhile.
Again, I apologize if I was being rude, but I felt you weren't actually trying to understand our points, but rather, apparently already had counter-claims to them and merely wanted to complain in a way that looked to be professional but was just "numbers suggest" situations that only bolster whatever frame perfect game you're playing that no one else is.

Sorry for the bluntness, but I can only handle so many people coming here with that mindset. It's not a personal problem with you, but I can only humor it for so long before it's wasting my, and everyone else's, time.

:093:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Little Mac's Jab1 is Frame 1, but it is only active for one frame and loops every six frames. Compare that to Captain Falcon, whose Jab1 is active on Frames 3-5, but also loops after Frame 6. Mac's Jabs also have the trample effect, which means that it actually cannot be clanked out; it can stop opponents' moves but will continue as normal. The problem is that Sonic covers an awful lot of distance in six frames with his moves, so that the five-frame gap makes holding Jab much less reliable for him than for a character like Falcon. Yes, it can beat Sonic's spin options sometimes, but the payoff is something like ~10%, compared to getting sent upward and not knowing when you'll get down safely (if at all) that Mac often struggles with when things go awry.

It's the game engine, the environment he's in, that makes me believe Sonic to be a markedly stronger character in Smash 4 than in Brawl. Brawl Dedede didn't win tournaments, either, but he did shut down a good number of characters through his extreme traits. That said, as you have said, this is a Q&A thread, so I'm not going to keep bothering you about my thoughts on the game's balance or reasons for Sonic's placements as a whole, but I do feel that my previous point is not about individual players counting frames; rather, it is about the sheer number of safe/"powerful" options available in neutral in individual matchups.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Play nicely, please.
Why are you holding Mac's jab?
Why?

You want to react with a single tap, not holding it down. This isn't For Glory. You have to time react to that.
Again, if you're too close, back up. If you're near the ledge, super armor through it. If you're too far, you have the advantage.

There's so many options Mac has vs. Spin Dash if you just stop and think about it. I play Little Mac too, and I'd wager that I have a significant amount of Mac vs. Sonic experience over you. It's not that hard.

And that's exactly why you're not going to get through to us, Reflex. Sonic's Spin Dash ISN'T as safe and as powerful as you think it is. Stop.

It was just brought to my attention that you implied that Sonic's spins invalidate characters to the same degree as Dedede did in Brawl to mid and below. At this point I've realized that it's fruitless to get through to you since you've so clearly made up your mind, probably even prior to making your first post in this thread, that nothing we say, no matter how knowledgeable we are about our own damn character, will convince you.

Exit is to the left. Thanks.

:applejack:

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
the people you are playing with are probably just getting better at the game.
I see, so there hasn't been a change to his dash attack?

Alrighty, then if I can't reliably use it on a grounded opponent, what are the opportune situations to go for it?
I do sometimes use it to catch people on landing when I don't reach in time to grab them nor positioned properly for an FSmash.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Why are you holding Mac's jab?
Why?

You want to react with a single tap, not holding it down. This isn't For Glory. You have to time react to that.
Again, if you're too close, back up. If you're near the ledge, super armor through it. If you're too far, you have the advantage.

There's so many options Mac has vs. Spin Dash if you just stop and think about it. I play Little Mac too, and I'd wager that I have a significant amount of Mac vs. Sonic experience over you. It's not that hard.

And that's exactly why you're not going to get through to us, Reflex. Sonic's Spin Dash ISN'T as safe and as powerful as you think it is. Stop.

That, but I'm also confused as to how we can compare Sonic in Smash 4, a strong character who relies heavily on reads to succeed, to Brawl Dedede, who straight up invalidated characters because he could chaingrab them from 0-death.

EDIT:
It was just brought to my attention that you implied that Sonic's spins invalidate characters to the same degree as Dedede did in Brawl to mid and below. At this point I've realized that it's fruitless to get through to you since you've so clearly made up your mind, probably even prior to making your first post in this thread, that nothing we say, no matter how knowledgeable we are about our own damn character, will convince you.

Exit is to the left. Thanks.

oop, you noticed.

Let's try to play nicely.

Last edited:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Wario's lack of burst range can hurt severly in the matchup, and bite has significant cooldown+it does trade quite a bit considering Wario's hurtbox's are very specific/accurate visually (as a fun test, try eating yoshi's eggs with wario, you can, but it requires utmost precision). Playing Wario, I've been timed out by a sonic who chose to run from me for a little over a minute straight. I had to run after her throwing out pretty bad options which wasn't pretty. Static Manny (who's a great guy) is proof of sonic's absurd camping potential with his speed. I know I cannot say this without tons of people accusing me of saying things that I did not, so I will say that I think Wario can handle the match-up fine, AND that I acknowledge that against many characters sonic doesn't get free approaches, but you guys gotta admit his neutral game is pretty good." :roll:"

Last edited:

WrathTheHedgehog

Smash Rookie
Hey guys whats the easiest way for us to land dair spikes? Ive been practicing and watching videos over it to see some possible things that we could do. I found 2 ways so far. Reading the airdodge or doing the footstool to dair that espy posted in the other forum. Are there any other ways or is that it?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hey guys whats the easiest way for us to land dair spikes? Ive been practicing and watching videos over it to see some possible things that we could do. I found 2 ways so far. Reading the airdodge or doing the footstool to dair that espy posted in the other forum. Are there any other ways or is that it?
Those are probably the easiest ways.

Apply concept number 1 (reading airdodge) to Spring > Dair mix-ups as well.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
What's an optimal way to use Sonic Utilt?

I've been using it as a safe anti-air, when I'm not confident in landing an USmash, but are there other uses for it that I ought to be aware of?

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111

I've been using it as a safe anti-air, when I'm not confident in landing an USmash, but are there other uses for it that I ought to be aware of?
When its optimal to use Sonic utlit its way more optimal to use something else (like sh uair). Although, nair>utilt seems to work for me. Then you can get some uairs in.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
There's like, exactly one angle that Utilt covers better, and faster, than Uair. Whether it be as an anti-air (the safe part is debatable) or to catch on a platform.

That's about as optimal as it ever gets.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I don't think I'm dexterous enough to land SH Uair consistently.

Back to the lab I go.

WrathTheHedgehog

Smash Rookie
Well about to go to a local today and I would like to know some things because almost everyone on my PR is going there like Reflex,Fatality,Scatt, and Neos. Anyway getting to the point in the case of fighting Falcon do I go full out pressure or play the patient game? and tell me if I'm wrong but for Megaman cam and KID said to shield pellets and grab and then once I have the grab I'm in. I just wanted to know these things so I'm not choking mid match and start making a fool of myself.

WrathTheHedgehog

Smash Rookie
Please use the edit feature to avoid double posts!
Exactly, play against the player and not the character.

Though imagine a frame data reading robot Sonic CPU...

Also @ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder have you looked up matches of Sonic vs Wario to see how warios handle the MU? I get the vibe that you're done with this thread but at the very least that can help you see ways to combat Sonic.

And out of curiosity what Sonic has been giving you trouble?
I believe the reason this started was because of me and Aurora beating most of his mains in a set that or for some reason he just came out of nowhere complaining about Sonic

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I believe the reason this started was because of me and Aurora beating most of his mains in a set that or for some reason he just came out of nowhere complaining about Sonic
Ahh I see.
You know I'm kj/kj22np from anthers?

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman

To be honest, I think I never use Utilt in my playstyle.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I bet Papa Sakurai has a super special plan for Utilt, and we just can't see it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well uptilt combos from weak hit nair sometimes XP I actually really like it...tho I wish his fair had less endlag, so I could do ff fair into uptilt.

Also, I was messin around, and on smashville, If sonic does a sh upair (due to upairs excellent, and forgiving, autocancel frames, he can do this even in the middle of his sh) he can jump again, upair (platform will catch him, but cancel landing lag) then he can up B, upair, and it seems to be a true combo, that ends stocks at like 50%~

Viable? or gimmick? XP

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Do you know how frustrating it is to fight a custom ganon, and i get the first hit and read like 3 airdodges and rack up 50 percent with almost frame perfect punishes, just to slip up on spacing one thing and get up smashed or faired and be like 'welp, i guess the games even now...' like mannnnnnn. All that work i did and you basical just did the same amount of damage to my stock with 1 hit that i did to yours with 12? Ughhhh...

But you dont see me going on the ganon boards and complaining because ganon onlu has yo hit you 4 times to kill you

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Do you know how frustrating it is to fight a custom ganon, and i get the first hit and read like 3 airdodges and rack up 50 percent with almost frame perfect punishes, just to slip up on spacing one thing and get up smashed or faired and be like 'welp, i guess the games even now...' like mannnnnnn. All that work i did and you basical just did the same amount of damage to my stock with 1 hit that i did to yours with 12? Ughhhh...

But you dont see me going on the ganon boards and complaining because ganon onlu has yo hit you 4 times to kill you
Ganon is scary as hell. Those strong moves... get hit near the ledge and say good bye to a stock.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Does anyone know what frame Sonic's spring comes out, and what frames on the move have invincibility?
Frame data can be found here.

I'm not sure the exact frames the invincibility lasts though... It's like a few frames after Sonic launches off the spring. It's definitely not on start-up.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
My sonic's feeling stale...any recommendations to breath new life in it?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Random thing, but I think they patched out iSDR?

I have no idea for how long.

I tried doing it on Yoshi's Island on Wii U and Corneria on 3DS and couldn't get it to work.

Interesting thing to fix.

DerZoidSplash

Smash Rookie
NNID
DerZoidSplash
If anyone knows, could they tell me why when a Sonic main such as 6WX goes off a platform, they have the walkoff and not the runoff animation? If there's a specific way to do it, could someone tell me?

Zionaze

Smash Ace
So i recently picked up Sonic and have fairly positive results with him so far but I'm still pretty new to him and have these questions.
When do i use dtilt?
When does dair spike?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If anyone knows, could they tell me why when a Sonic main such as 6WX goes off a platform, they have the walkoff and not the runoff animation? If there's a specific way to do it, could someone tell me?
Not sure what you're referring to.
They did?
Really?
They fix a pointless glitch?
But now I think I may have accidentally activated an iSDR in a match recently by Lyric Rolling on Battlefield??

This game's weird.
C-Stick, set to smash or attack?

I'm curious to see what most other Sonics prefer.
Attack.

Since one of the patches, I can't Side-B Spinshot anymore with C-Stick if it's set to Smash.

Plus, I never really use C-Stick for Sonic's smashes anyway, so it worked out.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I'm having trouble extending my dash dance with Sonic. I don't have too much issue with it, but I can only extend it with Sonic at 1/4 speed, otherwise I just get Sonic in his turning animation when I foxtrot the other way. Before you make fun of my reflexes, I can extend my dash dance with every other character just fine at the normal speed, it's just with Sonic where I struggle. Any tips.

Last edited:

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
So i recently picked up Sonic and have fairly positive results with him so far but I'm still pretty new to him and have these questions.
When do i use dtilt?
When does dair spike?
dtilt as your opponent grabs the ledge at high % for a kill.
dair spikes from frame 23 onwards, the spike hitbox is at Sonics foot.

Last edited:

Myst_R

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ellyde
dtilt as your opponent grabs the ledge at high % for a kill.
dair spikes from frame 23 onwards, the spike hitbox is at Sonics foot.

Are these informations about the timing 100% correct ? I'd love to master the Dair Spike and I know some of our players do it fine. For now, I didn't perfectly understand how it works. Maybe @Sonic Orochi could confirm what is said in this video

Top Bottom