• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Generations - You're too sloooow if you haven't bought this game yet!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Apparently Retro cracked even further down in the demo and found out that
Classic and Modern Rooftop Run are next for the demo

So get ready for that, maybe.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
heh so we ARE getting another demo? What game is that from?

And how do you get the modern version of GHZ, if you can?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Rooftop Run is from Sonic Unleashed

Modern GHZ is in the coding, but hasn't been unlocked yet. Some people at Sonic Retro reportedly HAVE played that stage through hacking extensively though.

One person in particular said that the Modern GHZ was so spectacularly well-made that if all the levels were designed like it was, Generations could be considered one of, if not the best game in the series.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wow, seriously? God damn Generations is gonna be one hell of a game if SEGA doesn't **** up
It seems like Sonic might have FINALLY pulled its head out of its ***, given how Colors doesn't suck and Generations looks like its gonna be awesome as hell. I just hope that SEGA as a whole does so too. It saddens me that this would have to be the second time that they got their heads out of their *****, though.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't know man, I don't think this metamorphosis that the Sonic Team is going through is going to extend to the rest of SEGA

If they did that they'd give us a good PSO game, a good NiGHTS game, a good Virtua Fighter, etc. I honestly wish SEGA gets back to being a 1st party developer some day, that was when they used to kick ***

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Speaking of NiGHTS, SEGA has announced that it is going to port NiGHTS into Dreams over to one of the consoles. So SEGA hasn't forgotten about NiGHTS yet.

:phone:

finalark

SNORLAX
If they did that they'd give us a good PSO game
The ones on the PSP and Phantasy Star 0 are pretty good. Plus PSO2 looks promising.

a good NiGHTS game,
Journey of Dreams was actually pretty decent IMO. I doubt we'll be seeing much from NiGHTS anytime soon, seeing how the franchise failed to catch on twice.

a good Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 5 is beast.

etc. I honestly wish SEGA gets back to being a 1st party developer some day, that was when they used to kick ***
I think if SEGA pulled their heads out of their ***** and stopped being known for publishing movie games and making ****ty Sonic games then that could be a possibility. Plus a new first party SEGA would have Platinum making games exclusively for their console, which would bring them many good exclusives.

However, SEGA seems perfectly comfortable as a third party publisher (ever notice how they push their published games over the in-house titles?). Which means we probably won't ever see a new SEGA console. Hell, I personally think they should just rerelease the Dreamcast (as a slim model with a better controller and a modern modem) so that way they can keep publishing while still satisfying fans who want consoles back. The damn thing would be wonderful for XBLA/PSN titles. Especially for those of us who prefer disk-based over digital.

Speaking of NiGHTS, SEGA has announced that it is going to port NiGHTS into Dreams over to one of the consoles. So SEGA hasn't forgotten about NiGHTS yet.
I take back what I just said. I think an HD remake over XBLA/PSN would be pretty nifty, as the game's graphics are aging poorly.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

:phone:
Good God when they release NiGTHS again I'm so getting a copy. Lord knows I can't find myself a Saturn or a copy of the game for cheap :/

I think if SEGA pulled their heads out of their ***** and stopped being known for publishing movie games and making ****ty Sonic games then that could be a possibility. Plus a new first party SEGA would have Platinum making games exclusively for their console, which would bring them many good exclusives.

However, SEGA seems perfectly comfortable as a third party publisher (ever notice how they push their published games over the in-house titles?). Which means we probably won't ever see a new SEGA console. Hell, I personally think they should just rerelease the Dreamcast (as a slim model with a better controller and a modern modem) so that way they can keep publishing while still satisfying fans who want consoles back. The damn thing would be wonderful for XBLA/PSN titles. Especially for those of us who prefer disk-based over digital.

I take back what I just said. I think an HD remake over XBLA/PSN would be pretty nifty, as the game's graphics are aging poorly.
I honestly wished that SEGA would bring us new IPs then. And not crappy IPs, I mean good IPs. An IP that would bring them thousands of dollars in profit, an IP that's actually be good, an IP that's actually creative like Sonic was, and etc. Like seriously the only IP that they have that people only really talk about in conversations is Sonic, and that's just more about pointing out how he sucks as of late.

And eh, I found that new NiGHTS game to be borderline suckish to mediocre. There's so much more they could've done to make the game better.

And idk, I still find the graphics to be pretty good even for today's standards. I guess an HD remake would be pretty nice though but w/e

finalark

SNORLAX
Good God when they release NiGTHS again I'm so getting a copy. Lord knows I can't find myself a Saturn or a copy of the game for cheap :/
I have a Saturn but games are so damn hard to find that all I have is Darius Gaiden.

I honestly wished that SEGA would bring us new IPs then. And not crappy IPs, I mean good IPs. An IP that would bring them thousands of dollars in profit, an IP that's actually be good, an IP that's actually creative like Sonic was, and etc. Like seriously the only IP that they have that people only really talk about in conversations is Sonic, and that's just more about pointing out how he sucks as of late.
That's because everyone seems to conveniently forget SEGA's good modern games so they can keep *****ing about Sonic. And the fact that the only franchise that SEGA pushes is Sonic doesn't help.

tl;dr: The only reason why nobody remembers Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Yakuza, Valkria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter, NiGHTS, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Dragonforce, ect. is because SEGA won't advertise any of their in house games unless they're about Sonic and Sonic only.

And eh, I found that new NiGHTS game to be borderline suckish to mediocre. There's so much more they could've done to make the game better.
I really doubt that the original is that mind-rapingly awesome. Then again, I've never played it so IDK.

And idk, I still find the graphics to be pretty good even for today's standards. I guess an HD remake would be pretty nice though but w/e
I'd rather have shiny pretty modern graphics over the Saturn's polygons.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Famitsu got a taste of Chemical Plant Zone.

Agh, I want to see scans of it if Famitsu got them :<

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Well, I'm reading he's the boss for Chemical Plant, yet the boss fight takes place in Stardust Speedway. The scans for Chemical Plant look jawsome.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Silver has only been around for Sonic 06 and the Rivals games, with cameos in Sonic Colors DS and Secret Rings. I don't see how that constitutes as shoving him down our throats.

And besides that, Silver was a prominent character in Sonic's 15th anniversary game. It makes sense that's he's featured among the 20th anniversary lineup.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The characters listed have been in at least two games. E-102 was only featured as a main character in Sonic Adventure.

It wouldn't surprise me if these 16 characters will be the core cast Sonic Team decides to go with from now on.

finalark

SNORLAX
Silver has only been around for Sonic 06 and the Rivals games, with cameos in Sonic Colors DS and Secret Rings. I don't see how that constitutes as shoving him down our throats.

And besides that, Silver was a prominent character in Sonic's 15th anniversary game. It makes sense that's he's featured among the 20th anniversary lineup.
It might just be because I associate Silver with one of the worst Sonic games out there. His repeated appearances make me feel like SEGA is trying to make us accept him, plus I find his character rather annoying.

The characters listed have been in at least two games. E-102 was only featured as a main character in Sonic Adventure.
I think the only other place we saw him was in Sonic Battle. I'd rather that Gamma stayed dead, since it would keep his story meaningful.

EDIT: Wait, he was also in Sonic Shuffle. But that game was so bad that even SEGA refuses to acknowledge its existence.

It wouldn't surprise me if these 16 characters will be the core cast Sonic Team decides to go with from now on.
You know what? I'd actually be okay with that. The only characters on there that I don't like are Amy, Rouge, Big, Cream, Silver and Charmy. That leaves ten characters that I like, and I'm okay with that.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm somewhat saddened by E-102's absence, but at the same time I'm relieved

When I played Sonic Adventure, no story touched me more than his did. He was the best robot Eggman had ever constructed and his death legit saddened me. The whole game might've been a sham IMO, but goddamn it if E-102's story didn't touch me. I'm happy that they didn't bring him back from the dead. It makes his death worth it and I think I honestly prefer the flicky that was powering him to be with her child instead

Besides SEGA would only **** his death up. He died a hero's death and he deserves to stay dead, not like a certain hedgehog SEGA decides to bring back and **** him ip for it. If you ask me Shadow deserved to stay dead along with Omega. He died to fulfill Maria's wishes and he shouldn't have been brought back. His return to life made a crappy game, helped contribute in another crappy game with a crappy story, and now he's probably wallowing in his emoness. It'd be nice if they brought shadow back to his roots.

EDIT:

And I am not happy with Big on that list. His character is the worst ever and he deserved to die more than Omega did. The rest are ok. Even Silver. Just give him a new voice actor and a better story and he should be set. The only thing I don't like about silver is that his gameplay doesn't mesh well with the concept of sonic, which is that you're supposed to go fast. It's hard when Sulver is slower than sonic in the Black Knights game. I'd be ok if silver gained a little more speed. Same thing with Amy except that her gameplay isn't heavy combat oriented and the last time she had any major role was in SA1

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The Gamma in Battle is arguably not the original Gamma, just a successor in the E lineup like the E-1000s in Adventure 2. And iirc Shuffle doesn't have it's own continuity the same way the Storybook and Rivals series do, so it's excluded.

The 16 characters make sense. Almost every role you would think to find in a story is filled in.

The heroes: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Blaze and Silver from time to time.
The anti-heroes: Shadow, Omega, Rouge, and arguably the Chaotix, since they basically do deeds for money as far as their characterization in Heroes is concerned.
The villains: Eggman, Metal Sonic
The supporting cast: Cream, Big

And some of the characters are developed enough that if they switch roles, it would be understandable. Rouge and Shadow work for the government so it may call on them to perform heroic acts, the Chaotix can easily perform heroic acts as seen in ShTH, Eggman has served as an anti-hero in the last story of SA2, and so on.

finalark

SNORLAX
When I played Sonic Adventure, no story touched me more than his did. He was the best robot Eggman had ever constructed and his death legit saddened me. The whole game might've been a sham IMO, but goddamn it if E-102's story didn't touch me. I'm happy that they didn't bring him back from the dead. It makes his death worth it and I think I honestly prefer the flicky that was powering him to be with her child instead
E-102's story was the best part of that game IMO. Everyone else's what pretty lackluster, although I did like how Amy learned to be indipendant and stopped obsessing over Sonic. And then she went back to being clingy and annoying in every other game that came after :glare:

Besides SEGA would only **** his death up. He died a hero's death and he deserves to stay dead, not like a certain hedgehog SEGA decides to bring back and **** him ip for it. If you ask me Shadow deserved to stay dead along with Omega. He died to fulfill Maria's wishes and he shouldn't have been brought back. His return to life made a crappy game, helped contribute in another crappy game with a crappy story, and now he's probably wallowing in his emoness. It'd be nice if they brought shadow back to his roots.
Basically my thoughts on Shadow. Tails' new characterization in Colors really saved his character for me (same goes for Sonic, who was in serious need of a new angle on his personality). I hope that in Generations Shadow gets a renewed personality that really saves his character.

The 16 characters make sense. Almost every role you would think to find in a story is filled in.

The heroes: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Blaze and Silver from time to time.
The anti-heroes: Shadow, Omega, Rouge, and arguably the Chaotix, since they basically do deeds for money as far as their characterization in Heroes is concerned.
The villains: Eggman, Metal Sonic
The supporting cast: Cream, Big
I actually like this quite a bit. I just hope that Cream and Big stay in the background and don't hold a prominent place in any future stories. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles form a well balanced trio and with some character development Amy would be a good addition too. Same goes for Silver, and I hope that Blaze is more involved in future stories because she's the strongest female character in the entire franchise.

And some of the characters are developed enough that if they switch roles, it would be understandable. Rouge and Shadow work for the government so it may call on them to perform heroic acts, the Chaotix can easily perform heroic acts as seen in ShTH, Eggman has served as an anti-hero in the last story of SA2, and so on.
You have a really good point, and I like the way things are going. I just hope they let westerners pen the stories for Sonic from now on. I think we're better at it than SEGA of Japan :/

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Eh, the really ****ty gameplay for Amy really distracts from what the story tried to convey

And I don't like new Tails at all. Well actually I haven't liked tails in any game since he got a voice actor except in SA2. His voice is so annoying it makes my ears bleed all the time. I don't like where Sonjc is starting to head either with his really cheesy jokes. I honestly didn't like any of the puns in Sonic Colors and I hope they just tone down his happy-go-luckiness a tad bit before I kill myself from terrible joke telling. IMO sonic was at his best when he had a 'tude and that isn't even nostalgia speaking because I grew up with SA2. I know he can't and won't ever go back to that though and I accept it unlike every nostalgia*** out there. I understand that Sonic's personality was to convey the way that children were back then and sonic is merely shifting his personality to children of today, which is that they like to tell jokes and take it easy, just like sonic is doing now. Idk that's just my opinion

I also wish they'd clear up Blaze's story a bit concerning rush and 06 and I wish they'd make rouge a playable character with a good story again. There's so much SEGA can do with her. For example they could clarify why she's a treasure hunter. They could also give her neat abilities and even stages that don't revolve around just treasure hunting. Her gliding abilities can give her and knuckles some interesting level design that don't revolve around finding broken emerald shards

Which reminds me, I wish they'd bring back Knuckles's rap music back. They complemented his character perfectly and they are always an interesting indication about what knuckles is thinking about during the level

That, and you can't beat cheesy lyrics like "I am knuckles and unlike sonic I don't chuckle" lol

finalark

SNORLAX
Eh, the really ****ty gameplay for Amy really distracts from what the story tried to convey
The only thing I didn't like with Amy's game play was how you were chased by a bot through the whole level.

And I don't like new Tails at all. Well actually I haven't liked tails in any game since he got a voice actor except in SA2. His voice is so annoying it makes my ears bleed all the time.
For me this only applies to his voice from SA1 on ward, once they god a decent voice actress in Colors I found that I rather enjoyed his character.

I don't like where Sonjc is starting to head either with his really cheesy jokes. I honestly didn't like any of the puns in Sonic Colors and I hope they just tone down his happy-go-luckiness a tad bit before I kill myself from terrible joke telling. IMO sonic was at his best when he had a 'tude and that isn't even nostalgia speaking because I grew up with SA2. I know he can't and won't ever go back to that though and I accept it unlike every nostalgia*** out there.
I actually like the fact that Sonic is going in a more whimsical direction. Better than taking itself way to seriously like it did before hand. Plus it actually feels closer to the Genesis games IMO. Sonic being sarcastic and punny feels much more like old Sonic rather than the incorruptibly pure hero persona his more recent games have given him.

And I'm glad that you can accept that things change. It makes me glad that you and I aren't those kinds of people that are so closed minded that they refuse to accept anything unless they played it when they were ten.

I understand that Sonic's personality was to convey the way that children were back then and sonic is merely shifting his personality to children of today, which is that they like to tell jokes and take it easy, just like sonic is doing now. Idk that's just my opinion
Again, I like the new Sonic. I like how the series feels more relaxed and less serious all of the time. And honestly, Colors feels closer to Genesis Sonic then other recent Sonic game has for me.

I also wish they'd clear up Blaze's story a bit concerning rush and 06 and I wish they'd make rouge a playable character with a good story again. There's so much SEGA can do with her. For example they could clarify why she's a treasure hunter. They could also give her neat abilities and even stages that don't revolve around just treasure hunting. Her gliding abilities can give her and knuckles some interesting level design that don't revolve around finding broken emerald shards
I'd like to see SEGA reboot the franchise so they don't have to deal with a cluttered timeline anymore. Here they can rework the characters and elaborate on them more without having to worry about continuity.

Which reminds me, I wish they'd bring back Knuckles's rap music back. They complemented his character perfectly and they are always an interesting indication about what knuckles is thinking about during the level
I think I liked his Jazz more from SA1. Then again, I'm bias because I don't like rap.

That, and you can't beat cheesy lyrics like "I am knuckles and unlike sonic I don't chuckle" lol
Or how Rouge wants to "play with his emeralds." :awesome:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I honestly don't like when people say they hate sonic now because of how he acted when they were children. It drives me crazy like when they say that Sonic 4 sucked because it didn't have the physics engine of the genesis games. It's a damn good game on it's own already and I hate it when they tear that game to shreds because it isn't like Sonic 1 - & Knuckles or something

Tbh there was a lot more I didnt like about Amy's levels than just the robot. The slowness, lack of a homing attack or even a good spin jump, etc.

Even though Sonic's personality is somewhat annoying, to me it's already an improvement from being lovey dovey for a human. If it were up to me there wouldn't be any humans in sonic besides GUN and Eggman. Any other humans actively involved in Sonic have to be background characters from there on who have nothing to contribute to the story. I can understand why'd you like Sonic's personality though, I just don't have much of a taste for humor involving puns and stuff.

If you ask me they should make a game where they take a look at the future since Solaris was vanquished. It would bring a lot of room for improvement and they can tweak up Silver and make him a great character. It wouldn't have to do anything with Soleanna and I think it'd be neat to see what happened to Silver's future when they went back and saved it. IMO if they wanted to make up for 06, this would he the only way to do it. Recon everything that happened in 06 and make it a better game. In this sense, I think SEGA actually saved themselves and opened up room for improvement by making the ending to 06 an "it was all a dream" scenario since now they recon the game if they want

IMO The jazz fits Rouge better than Knuckles. Jazz is classy and so is Rouge. Rap is "gangsta" and if anybody fits "gangsta" more than anyone it's Knuckles.

I personally would want Rouge to touch my emeralds because I'm afraid she'll steal them :p

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah I honestly don't like when people say they hate sonic now because of how he acted when they were children. It drives me crazy like when they say that Sonic 4 sucked because it didn't have the physics engine of the genesis games. It's a damn good game on it's own already and I hate it when they tear that game to shreds because it isn't like Sonic 1 - & Knuckles or something
Yeah, this is a problem that extends well beyond Sonic's fanbase and is rather prevalent in Nintendo's. Nostalgic elitists seem to think that their generation is the only one that matters and get upset when things aren't the way they where when they were kids, while ignoring that there is a whole different generation that grew up on the newer games.

Tbh there was a lot more I didnt like about Amy's levels than just the robot. The slowness, lack of a homing attack or even a good spin jump, etc.
I liked how it had a stronger focus on platforming over speed, but I have to agree with you here.

Even though Sonic's personality is somewhat annoying, to me it's already an improvement from being lovey dovey for a human. If it were up to me there wouldn't be any humans in sonic besides GUN and Eggman. Any other humans actively involved in Sonic have to be background characters from there on who have nothing to contribute to the story.
I have to agree here. Humans in Sonic games tend to be pretty weak on top to of that. I would like the games to be similar to the comics in the sense that the only human characters with a major roll are Robotnick and sometimes GUN, as you said.

I can understand why'd you like Sonic's personality though, I just don't have much of a taste for humor involving puns and stuff.
SEGA seems to want to stick with the writers from Colors for future Sonic games, since Generations will be penned by them. Hopefully the more and more comfortable they get with the characters the better the humor will get. I already like their approach to the Sonic universe and I like their angle on the characters. Oh, and the new voice actors are awesome and I can't wait to see who they get for all of the other characters.

If you ask me they should make a game where they take a look at the future since Solaris was vanquished. It would bring a lot of room for improvement and they can tweak up Silver and make him a great character. It wouldn't have to do anything with Soleanna and I think it'd be neat to see what happened to Silver's future when they went back and saved it. IMO if they wanted to make up for 06, this would he the only way to do it. Recon everything that happened in 06 and make it a better game. In this sense, I think SEGA actually saved themselves and opened up room for improvement by making the ending to 06 an "it was all a dream" scenario since now they recon the game if they want
Sonic '06 was already written out of Sonic cannon, which basically leaves them open to do whatever they want with Silver. I just hope his new voice and characterization will be good.

IMO The jazz fits Rouge better than Knuckles. Jazz is classy and so is Rouge. Rap is "gangsta" and if anybody fits "gangsta" more than anyone it's Knuckles.
Knuckles is the blackest person in all of Sonic.

Top Bottom