• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
Hey I recently just picked up P:M and have been using Sonic and was wondering (since there isn't already a guide for it here) what are Sonic's best and worst stages? Who should I take where? and what should I ban against whom?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Hey I recently just picked up P:M and have been using Sonic and was wondering (since there isn't already a guide for it here) what are Sonic's best and worst stages? Who should I take where? and what should I ban against whom?

Best stages are stages like smashville, Final destination, and stages with not many platforms.

I ALWAYS ban yoshis story and FOD because the small stage and multiple platforms make it to good for your opponents to escape Spin. Ban triangle platform stages like those.

These apply for basically all MU's.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Looking at your Videos you probably wouldn't make much money in europe...
Hey man, I just wanna make a public apology real quick. I was having a bit of fun back in April with you, but I want to make it clear that you are likely better than I am, and it was your advice about that FSmash mixup that got me to calm down and take back a match I was throwing away this weekend.

Shoutouts to Germany.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Project M demo 2.6!! (Aka Project m demo 2.6 Sonic nerf patch!)
Anything else you'd like to share with the class? I mean, it's obvious that they're nerfing him(which is a darn shame 'cause he's perfectly beatable, unless you're Wizzrobe, which is you, but that's more about the player than the character, isn't it?), but what in specific? Knock back angles, KBG, combo potential... removal of the dair spike, or killing options? Like, no air dodge out of SDJ would be smart, I'd think. You can still double jump and try to waveland/dash quickly after cancelling SDJ, but it's a bit of an obstacle to overcome. I wouldn't make SDJ completely uncancellable, though...

What exactly is getting the nerf bat? I mean, I understand if you're not at liberty to say, but at the same time, you're already divulging information – is a Sonic nerf update that important to the devs?

I guess I'm mostly concerned because it's dropping a new version mere weeks before Nerd Rage, which is trying to be the first national, or at least a plenty big regional... Seems counter-intuitive, as everyone is going to be dealing with new changes to the roster and a lot of matchups may need to be relearned. I wanna prepare myself for what won't work anymore.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Anything else you'd like to share with the class? I mean, it's obvious that they're nerfing him(which is a darn shame 'cause he's perfectly beatable, unless you're Wizzrobe, which is you, but that's more about the player than the character, isn't it?), but what in specific? Knock back angles, KBG, combo potential... removal of the dair spike, or killing options? Like, no air dodge out of SDJ would be smart, I'd think. You can still double jump and try to waveland/dash quickly after cancelling SDJ, but it's a bit of an obstacle to overcome. I wouldn't make SDJ completely uncancellable, though...

What exactly is getting the nerf bat? I mean, I understand if you're not at liberty to say, but at the same time, you're already divulging information – is a Sonic nerf update that important to the devs?

I guess I'm mostly concerned because it's dropping a new version mere weeks before Nerd Rage, which is trying to be the first national, or at least a plenty big regional... Seems counter-intuitive, as everyone is going to be dealing with new changes to the roster and a lot of matchups may need to be relearned. I wanna prepare myself for what won't work anymore.

I don't know for a Fact, but I can still guarantee it's mostly for a nerf. Also, they want Sonic nerfed before having anymore big tourneys like Nerd rage probably.

Also, they changed sonic a lot from 2.1 to 2.5 so I had 2 weeks to learn the new sonic before apex 2013 lol.

And no it wont juusichi

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
Project M demo version: Time To Find a New Main! Yay!

Naw, but he better still be good....

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It's way too early to nerf Sonic.

The most they should do at the moment is make his specials more obvious to notice.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
There are already basically no Sonic mains besides me so number won't change in 2.6

Do you mean "basically no notable Sonic mains"? If you do or if you don't, it asserts that no other Sonic other than you matters really which means that you've basically ignored a fair amount of people. This may or may not be true, but in neither way is a good look. o_o

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
Do you mean "basically no notable Sonic mains"? If you do or if you don't, it asserts that no other Sonic other than you matters really which means that you've basically ignored a fair amount of people. This may or may not be true, but in neither way is a good look. o_o
To be fair, he is pretty much the only Sonic main to have made a significant splash at tourneys.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

What I mean is there are basically no Sonic mains.

Also..Daze is good at sm64

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Here is a recording from JCaesar's 2.6 preview stream, featuring Sonic. The only change I noticed was that downb spin no longer autocombos into everything ever.

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
Homing attack also seemed to have less range, but I could just be seeing things. You can see what I'm talking about at 2:55:29

D

Deleted member

at Least I can play the character correctly

To be completely honest, I think you would be much MORE of a tournament threat than you already are if you waited a little bit more often in the neutral game. I think you've shown us all what Sonic is capable of, but not the ideal. This is not a slam against you, very few players are able to show what ideal play of any given character looks like. Just an observation.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why everybodys hating on Wizzy, he's pretty much the only sonic main to be ****ting on Hungrybox/Mew2King/Unknown etc. People that are hating on his skills would probably lose to those people

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
To be completely honest, I think you would be much MORE of a tournament threat than you already are if you waited a little bit more often in the neutral game. I think you've shown us all what Sonic is capable of, but not the ideal. This is not a slam against you, very few players are able to show what ideal play of any given character looks like. Just an observation.

Waiting more often? did u not see Apex vids? lol that was one of the things people always complained about. I would spin camp

D

Deleted member

Waiting more often? did u not see Apex vids? lol that was one of the things people always complained about. I would spin camp

I watched all of your sets live. It was beautiful in its own dark and twisted way.

Top Bottom