• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
you can afford to spike people offstage without thee resulting position being that they are on top of you or you sd
Be careful when you're recovering afterwards that you don't hit them with the Spring; you can help them get back.

Last edited:

T0RN

I'm Torn
I'm getting into now using Sonic in PM switching from falco, so are there any basic-advanced combos/tips?

Last edited:

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
If you tap the B button very quickly to do your side B on the ground, you will remain on the ground for the entire move. Then you can jump cancel it (after Sonic flashes white) into anything you can do out of a jump: JC grab, wavedash, USmash, and of course an aerial.

T0RN

I'm Torn
If you tap the B button very quickly to do your side B on the ground, you will remain on the ground for the entire move. Then you can jump cancel it (after Sonic flashes white) into anything you can do out of a jump: JC grab, wavedash, USmash, and of course an aerial.
Thanks... Is there anything else good to get characters off stage and to gimp?

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I like Dash attack. Some might disagree because of the long ending lag, but I think it's an excellent move for forcing people off stage.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I like Dash attack. Some might disagree because of the long ending lag, but I think it's an excellent move for forcing people off stage.
try to always acompany it with a boost grab, it covers many options (that said it shouldnt be spammed)

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Hey, didn't read through everything but given the case you didn't know, Sonic has a DACG where he can cancel a dash attack hit (on character or on shield into a grab). I think it is in some sense a boost grab variation (covers more options but a bit slower).
In case you meant that with boost grab, the boost grab normally implies there is no hitbox on the dash attack.
Game&Watch and Sonic are the only characters with a DACG.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Hey, didn't read through everything but given the case you didn't know, Sonic has a DACG where he can cancel a dash attack hit (on character or on shield into a grab). I think it is in some sense a boost grab variation (covers more options but a bit slower).
In case you meant that with boost grab, the boost grab normally implies there is no hitbox on the dash attack.
Game&Watch and Sonic are the only characters with a DACG.
I actually meant that, just called it a boost grab since I thought that was the term for it.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
DACUS with Sonic can lead to a Gatling combo on spacies, and at 0% you can Gatling and followup with a DACG, (or another Gatling on Fox).
Fox can tech roll the dash attack before getting hit by the up-smash with correct DI. Still seems like a useful setup because they probably won't expect it.

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
Only Gab knows what he's talking about in this thread tbh, Solharath doesn't even apply half the **** he says in tourney.

Duum

Smash Rookie
Do we have footage of good 3.5 Sonic play yet? I have no idea who's considered good anymore.
From what I've seen, Kai and Karma are looking solid, and Xion looks pretty good. Of course you have GabPR. I haven't seen any of solharath's matches yet, but I imagine it'd be a good place to look too

Luk

Smash Journeyman
From what I've seen, Kai and Karma are looking solid, and Xion looks pretty good. Of course you have GabPR. I haven't seen any of solharath's matches yet, but I imagine it'd be a good place to look too
Was just watching some Kai videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZTBCdaK03w and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssp1UMJMCZI). One thing I noticed, I don't think I saw him side-b (plus cancel once closer) once for horizontal recovery. Is that a play-style thing or is there some unsafe aspect of it that I'm missing. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssp1UMJMCZI#t=7m23s

GabPR

Smash Lord
What I mostly saw is that he plays 3.5 Sonic mostly like 3.0 Sonic and is not implementing his new options like skid . As for side b usage for recovery there are lots of mindgames with short side b, side b to sweetspot the ledge, or long side b and then cancel it to gain horizontal distance. Not using it and other options like blast attack to sweetspot the ledge limits your recovery options.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
... plays 3.5 Sonic mostly like 3.0 Sonic and is not implementing his new options like skid...
How did they change Sonic's skid (do you mean his side-b baseball slide thing?) such that it's more of an option now than it was before?

Edit: grammar + clarification.

Last edited:

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
How did they change Sonic's skid (do you mean his side-b baseball slide thing?) such that it's more of an option now than it was before?

Edit: grammar + clarification.
The skid he refers to is holding a trigger while rolling in DownB. It cancels the DownB but is "generally" safe to do on top of an opponent as long as they didn't CC your DownB.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
The skid he refers to is holding a trigger while rolling in DownB. It cancels the DownB but is "generally" safe to do on top of an opponent as long as they didn't CC your DownB.
Oh that thing. Yeah I've been trying to incorporate that into my game but the spacing on it is really tough for me. I always end up either stoping too early and not actually hitting them with the down-b OR I stop too late and my jab+jab (my usual attempt at following up) hits behind them :-/

GabPR

Smash Lord
Oh that thing. Yeah I've been trying to incorporate that into my game but the spacing on it is really tough for me. I always end up either stoping too early and not actually hitting them with the down-b OR I stop too late and my jab+jab (my usual attempt at following up) hits behind them :-/
If when you skid stop the resulting position is that your opponent is behind you, you can use side b as a followup instead or try and turn around to get thos jabs in.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
If when you skid stop the resulting position is that your opponent is behind you, you can use side b as a followup instead or try and turn around to get thos jabs in.
Ahh, side-b back. That makes sense. And if they've had time to get their shield up that would give plenty of time to JC-grab on reaction. I'll have to give that a try.

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
Boost grab and dacus are the correct terms, even if your hitting the dash attack onto shield it still has to hit onto shield frame 2 the reason it seems you can cancel into grab or into usmash later is because hit lag literally freezes your character on that frame even if the frames of the game continue on so it still requires you to hit the dash attack on frame 2 no matter what though and cancel it the next

also, whats with the skid stop usage? I dont see it having any REAL follow ups aswell as just being unsafe if you whiff, the only times i use down-b are to tech chase at percents it can lead to nair or dair and aerial down-b now thanks to gab revealing you can waveland out of it. If you SH and being it over there head while falling into them and release you can get pretty easy dair spikes near the edge

Last edited:

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
-snip-

also, whats with the skid stop usage? I dont see it having any REAL follow ups aswell as just being unsafe if you whiff, the only times i use down-b are to tech chase at percents it can lead to nair or dair and aerial down-b now thanks to gab revealing you can waveland out of it. If you SH and being it over there head while falling into them and release you can get pretty easy dair spikes near the edge
Skid Stop can easily follow up with a D Smash, Jabs, Side B. If the opponent has no idea what a Sonic is, SH Nair due to their horrific DI.

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
Skid Stop can easily follow up with a D Smash, Jabs, Side B. If the opponent has no idea what a Sonic is, SH Nair due to their horrific DI.
But assuming that your opponent doesent know the match up is how you lose a stock before you even know what happened, its just a bad mentality to have, you should always assume your opponent is stupid untill proven otherwise but also always assume they know the matchup even if it doesent seem like they do

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
But assuming that your opponent doesent know the match up is how you lose a stock before you even know what happened, its just a bad mentality to have, you should always assume your opponent is stupid untill proven otherwise but also always assume they know the matchup even if it doesent seem like they do
The assuming part is only on the SH Nair, the rest is pretty much guaranteed.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Hey @ GabPR GabPR why are there no videos of you in tournaments?
Im from Puerto Rico, and there arent many tournements in this area (much less streamed). This Saturday is one of our bigguest tourneys, I do believe they wills tream Project M, so You may get some footage from me there. Ill let you know.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Im from Puerto Rico, and there arent many tournements in this area (much less streamed). This Saturday is one of our bigguest tourneys, I do believe they wills tream Project M, so You may get some footage from me there. Ill let you know.

Great I would love to you see you play other people in person!

GabPR

Smash Lord
is the footstool guaranteed if you spam it after landing the dair?
I have not tested this out yet, But I believe it is posible at a certain percent in which the dair will leave them under you. I would have to experiment with this more, and if it is posible, it would be incredibly filthy.

Great I would love to you see you play other people in person!
I have the twitch videos of the tourney since the youtube ones have not been uploaded yet.

http://www.twitch.tv/etgamingpr/b/627982703

7:41 - Winners Finals vs Tawkos (Fox)
2:17:45 Grand Finals vs Hawk (Marth, Fox)

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
There was some cool stuff in those matches. Never thought to sweet spot the ledge with blast attack. Punishing Fox's side-B recovery with F smash was cool :)

GabPR

Smash Lord
There was some cool stuff in those matches. Never thought to sweet spot the ledge with blast attack. Punishing Fox's side-B recovery with F smash was cool :)
The disjoint in fsmash makes it a good tool for edgeguarding recovery sweetspots, spacies especially.

Top Bottom