• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic CD Thread | Out for Xbox/PSN/iPhone/Android !

LLDL

Smash Hero

That's right, Sonic CD is being digitally re-released for almost all platforms this holiday season!

http://www.sonicretro.org/2011/08/sonic-cd-can-do-anything-to-several-platforms-first-trailer/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjF6kq4MFlo

But since I am also deeply rooted in the sonic fan gaming community, I wanted to explain a little bit about this re-release and what makes it so special.

This is neither going to be a port, or a lazy emulated release like the backbone versions of sonic 1 2 3 and knuckles that we have gotten on xbox live . In fact, this release is being worked on entirely from scratch from an independent developer, The Taxman (Christan Whitehead). Taxman is a long time member in the sonic fan community and has worked on his own classic sonic engine for a while now. It's called 'the retro engine'. You may be familiar with Sonic Nexus and Retro-Sonic, two sonic fan games. These are not rom hacks, they are programmed in C from scratch, made to faithfully replicate gameplay and physics of the classic genesis sonic games.

In 2009, "The Taxman" or Christian Whitehead created a proof of concept version of Sonic CD ported to the iPhone. The big deal with this, was that it was far superior to something sega themselves would have produced if they had gotten around to re-releasing the game. Taxman's version runs at 60fps, has widescreen support and runs entirely on his retro-engine, meaning none of the original rom/game code is in there. It is a complete re-make, fan-game, made from scratch that he programmed by himself. If sega were to have re-released sonic cd, it probably would have been in the form an emulator that ran the original sonic cd, 4:9 aspect ratio, only 30 fps, and you would have to deal with all of the bugs and such that comes with emulating the sega cd.

Shortly after, Taxman contacted them about using his engine, and he has been silent with the sonic community ever since. This is until now, where we find out that he has created a re-make of sonic cd that sega is using themselves and will release for us all to play.

TLDR: Taxman, a member of the sonic fan gaming community, essentially re-created a carbon copy fan-game of sonic cd which is far superior to a re-release that sega possibly would have given us. And in turn, sega has licensed his retro engine and is using this fan-game re-make as an official re-release of sonic cd.

I am very excited about this, think of it as the equivalent of one of us programming our own super smash brothers game and having Nintendo actually license it and use it as an official game.

This thread should be used to discuss this re-release and any other version of sonic cd.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I had Sonic CD on Gems Collection but I lost it. Plus I never really got hooked by Sonic CD itself, only played it like 5 or so times. I'm willing to give it another shot though.

Don't own a PS3 or 360 of my own, and I'm not sure if my PC is compatible, so it looks like it's the iPhone for me.

And just to stop the problem before it starts, this re-release will feature a toggle option to swap betwen the US and JP/EU soundtracks.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Whoa!! Sounds like fun, I've always wanted go play this version of Sonic before, I'm finally able to enjoy such a treasure trove.

:phone:

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yes, the soundtrack won't be limited by region this time, but it's not clear exactly whether it will be as simple as just a toggle option. Hopefully more information is brought to us soon.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I just realized something. Sonic CD is going to employ a new gameplay engine that recreates the Sonic 2/3 physics.

A gameplay engine that effectively helps make 2D Classic Sonic gameplay flow through.

A gameplay engine that SEGA effectively bought for commercial use and for rights to possibly use later.

The next few years are going to be amazing. If Sonic 4: Episode 2 utilizes the same engine, if it can, I'm all in.

Actually nvm about Sonic 4. It's being developed in Japan and in association with Dimps. May not have any connection with this Retro Engine aside from placing Sonic CD and Sonic 4 as related to each other in the franchise canon.

Nonetheless, new 2D Sonic games using the same Retro Engine isn't out of the question, I would think.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah, Episode 2 is definitely not using and won't retro engine. I assume it is their property as of now and if they know how to use it completely, we may see it in future games.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I like this it's the only 2D sonic game I haven't played yet and I've been wanting to play it forever. Thank god SEGA is listening to their fans on this if SEGA keeps being on the ball the next couple of years are gonna be amazing

LLDL

Smash Hero
A cool new feature that they're including is the option to toggle between the sonic 2 spindash and the sonic cd spindash.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I like choosing between spindashes. The sonic CD spindash felt useless as he'll compared to the Peel Out and Sonic 2 spindash when I got around to playing the game finally

I also hope they tell you actually what to do in this game because it's like they dump you in the middle of the level without any word of the fact that the time posts are actually important and that there's actually generators to destroy

They also need to make the special stage easier. I swear the lack of actual depth of it coupled with craptacular controls made it a he'll of a lot harder than it should've been.

I also can't wait to see Sonic Boom on this game. That was a beast *** intro and that's literally the way I view Sonic moving when I play (or at least classic sonic lol)

LLDL

Smash Hero
They improved the depth of the special stages, it runs on a completely different engine., not to mention smoother controls. So it should be much easier to differentiate between the foreground and the floor and the objects as well.

And unfortunately no Sonic Boom as of yet, right now its Japanese soundtrack for all regions. They may add a patch for the US soundtrack, but no promises.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It was confirmed that the US soundtrack would not be used, due to rights issues with Spencer Nilsen, I think. This includes Sonic Boom.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah **** him sonic boom was the best. If anything from the us soundtrack should've made it him it should've been that

And yes thank go for new engine the special stages killed me. If it had used a better engine, chances are that I could've actually made those jumps, but since everything has no depth and sonic cancels all horizontal momentum whatsoever mid air, I could never hit one of those flying robot things

SolarChimecho

Smash Apprentice
Sonic CD is the only 2D sonic game that ive never played yet. Finally i can get my hands on it soon.

I would love if they can bring the US and Japanese soundtracks and give you the option to pick any specific music to play on a level. And Sonic Boom should be in. No exception.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'm surprised at how many people have never played it. I guess it was more of an obscure game than I thought.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I've never played it myself but I've heard good things about it, as long as it's good with some wonderful music then I'm willing to pick it up for PSN, this by far has been the only retro Sonic game that I haven't played, it should be fun.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm surprised at how many people have never played it. I guess it was more of an obscure game than I thought.
I heard of it way before but I never played till like a month ago because the only way for me to play it was through the sonic compilation for the GC which I never unlocked because I sucked at sonic games

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Oh god that just made my day oh god thank you so much I'll take Crush 40 doing Sonic Boom over the original guy any day of the week thank you god

LLDL

Smash Hero
That's a misunderstanding. That track is going to be included in the anniversary soundtrack cd, not the actual game.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I actually played that this weekend at GameStop. I didn't like it much, but that's probably because the control pad on the tablet is ******** and I wasn't able to hold down the pad in the right way, which all touch screen devices always suffer from

Aside from that it was pretty neat

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So, the Sonic CD tablets from Gamestop?

If the rumor is true, someone's cracked into the coding and found the level list for Sonic 4: Episode 2. The fact S4E2 assets are in the data may suggest some connectivity between the Episode and this remake.

Stage list for E2, btw. Old E1 thread is old, and as this is only a rumor for E2, I can't make a thread for it. I could make a Sonic 4 thread, but hey, laziness :p

STAGES>
WARP MOUNTAIN ZONE
MOLTEN LAKE ZONE
MANIC JUNGLE ZONE
EGG GLACIER ZONE
METAL MATRIX
???-FINAL EXTRA
GET BLUE SPHERES
CO-OP ISLE
</STAGES>
<TRANSITIONS>
MEET WITH MILES! [WMZ]
EMERALDS STOLEN! [MLZ]
MILES KIDNAPPED! [MJZ]
SAVE MILES! [EGZ]
METAL ENCOUNTER! [FINAL/???]
</TRANSITIONS>

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Hopefully they fix the level design. I never realized it when I was younger how bad it was, probably because I was blinded by Metal Sonic, the amazing music, worlds, and art direction. But really, when recently playing it, there are some instances in that game whereas I had to stop and ask "Why is that even there? Why is that designed that way?". This really shows in Stardust Speedway.

I wish I was home because I'd post some images of what I'm talking about.

LLDL

Smash Hero
So, the Sonic CD tablets from Gamestop?

If the rumor is true, someone's cracked into the coding and found the level list for Sonic 4: Episode 2. The fact S4E2 assets are in the data may suggest some connectivity between the Episode and this remake.

Stage list for E2, btw. Old E1 thread is old, and as this is only a rumor for E2, I can't make a thread for it. I could make a Sonic 4 thread, but hey, laziness :p

STAGES>
WARP MOUNTAIN ZONE
MOLTEN LAKE ZONE
MANIC JUNGLE ZONE
EGG GLACIER ZONE
METAL MATRIX
???-FINAL EXTRA
GET BLUE SPHERES
CO-OP ISLE
</STAGES>
<TRANSITIONS>
MEET WITH MILES! [WMZ]
EMERALDS STOLEN! [MLZ]
MILES KIDNAPPED! [MJZ]
SAVE MILES! [EGZ]
METAL ENCOUNTER! [FINAL/???]
</TRANSITIONS>
That rumor is false. This version of Sonic CD was not developed by SEGA. It was developed by Christian Whitehead, who has nothing to do with Sonic 4. He's confirmed that he never put any such thing in the game.

Hopefully they fix the level design. I never realized it when I was younger how bad it was, probably because I was blinded by Metal Sonic, the amazing music, worlds, and art direction. But really, when recently playing it, there are some instances in that game whereas I had to stop and ask "Why is that even there? Why is that designed that way?". This really shows in Stardust Speedway.

I wish I was home because I'd post some images of what I'm talking about.

Level design is exactly the same as the original.

LLDL

Smash Hero
It's now confirmed that you will be able to toggle between the American and Japanese soundtracks.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well this is good news.

Better so than how the Street of Rage fan game was treated.

Looking forward to it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So is this gonna be on Steam or what?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sonic+cd+steam

I know Sonic CD is a big fan favorite, but I honestly never got the appeal of it. The whole Past/Present/Future thing is an interesting concept, but I always thought the level designs were all really trippy and confusing, and I never much liked the music. It's cool that it's being brought back, though, it's good for people to have the opportunity to play it. I won't be purchasing it myself, though, since I already have it on PC (not that I've gotten it to work with my laptop because the game is so old), Sega CD, and on Gems Collection, and I don't even care for it that much.

That is, unless I'm bored and it goes on sale on Steam, in which case I'm guaranteed to spend more money I don't need to spend...

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Top Bottom